Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Question: does Magically Inept prevent you from benefiting from Knowledge Brews? Because that sounds like an instant disqualifier.
Anyway, I've watched these from the start, now I'll jump in at last, with a character somewhat different from those we've seen so far.

Name: Bendan, or "Ben"
Race: Human (A4)
Traits: Exceptional Strength, Recuperation
Training:
Health: 24
Strength: 9
Dexterity: 5
Edged Weapons: 7 (Two-handed)
Defense: 2
Assassination: 2

Background: Bendan was ten years old when he was exiled, not that long before Art's group was sent down. Young, but more than old enough to remember those events. His parents were outspoken and relatively popular pro-free market, anti-noble cronyism advocates from near the center of the Empire. They didn't get exiled. They just disappeared one night. Bendan tried to raise a fuss among their supporters to find them, but was met with frightened disinterest. He was branded an urchin and thrown into Exile. Now 19, he has a major chip on his shoulder towards the surface. He's a scrappy kid in general, and a brutal fighter, but when it comes to helping the surface, he would rather show them the indifference he remembers from his childhood. This will sometimes bring him into conflict with Art, though he's focused enough to kill the enemy first and argue with her later. This argumentative nature leads the other members of the party to "take advantage" of his Exceptional Strength to make him carry all the stuff.

Over time on the surface, he should mellow out and remember that the people there are just people, for the most part. He's a decent guy at heart. He will grow to see Art as more of a mentor, or possibly surrogate parent (with the occasional comment that she's more than old enough to be his mother). He may even eventually admit that his parents would have liked to live in Valorim (If that's true. I don't really know the social situation out there). However, he may occasionally have to bite his tongue and rant later when encountering corrupt or self-serving individuals. Also, though there may not be a good opportunity for this, at some point, maybe the team encounters a noble or corrupt judge or whatever, possibly connected to his family's disappearance. He has no evidence, but he'll be quick to point out that if a person is the kind of corrupt that leads them to make people vanish into thin air, they'll keep doing that sort of thing until someone ends them.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
+4 Bendan
+3 Delilah
+2 Matthias
+1 John

So, it's odd that berryjon wasn't able to spec my character the way I wrote out. I went into the game and created a character exactly like that. It seems the pre-made characters the creation screen defaults to have more skill points than a character you create regularly. Significantly more.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
...You didn't push the button? Well what the hell does it do?

Incidentally, do curing potions heal disease? If so, then picking up that recipe might be a good idea after all. By the looks of things, the effects of Chronic Disease are not trivial...

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The situation in Valorim must be extremely bad if trade between cities has totally collapsed. But about the Empire being at the peak of its power, is it really? Hawthorne and Grazhad were supposed to be an exceptional administrator and an extraordinarily powerful archmage, respectively. Based on what we've seen already, I can't help but wonder if the Empire has been suffering from a sudden drop in its fortunes, become generally more bureaucratic and less effective.

So, cities will gradually fall over the course of months if you don't solve problems quickly enough, right? That makes me think one could write a different story of playing through this game, where you let the surfacers of Valorim die off so Exile can move into the area uncontested. I'd at least like to see what happens when a city is wiped out. Do they get just a message explaining what happened, or are they replaced with actual ruined city maps? If so, that seems like a lot of work must have gone into it, and it would be a shame not to see.

And boy, slimes. Those are some classic RPG enemies. Maybe I just don't play that many games these days (I've never played a Dragon Quest), but it seems like you don't see them that often any more, outside of SMT or that one slime raising game.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

berryjon posted:

"Some of my more, um, frequent customers said they saw a sprite north of town. What a bunch of goofs!"

Yeah, they're so silly. They don't even realize that they're sprites too. Art and company are sprites. The town is sprites. Everything is sprites.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Redmark posted:

Yeah, the menu screen idle animation for one of the games (maybe this one?) even has a party get a guy killed in a dungeon somewhere, then have to lug the guy's stuff back to the healer.

I wonder how many people have actually ever done that. Probably not a high percentage.

"Throg's dead."
"Good."
"Can we go now?"

"Yes?"
"Dead friend."
"Too bad. 1000 gold."
"Here you go."

"What happened?"
"Don't ask."
"Where's my dagger?"
"Oh shut up."

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
All true. And even then, one person can always be assassinated. The most dangerous thing is when "too many men in the same armor think they're right."

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

LuffyVeggies posted:

There's also the Airy Stone, which when held is supposed to lower the weight in your pack. Keyword being "supposed" to. For some reason, there's a glitch in the Windows version that makes it weigh positive 246 lbs instead of a negative. This was apparently corrected in the Mac version.

It must have been meant to weigh -10 lbs., but weight wasn't made a signed value, so the game interpreted it as 246 instead.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

LuffyVeggies posted:

Man, the fact that all of you guys are coming up with great arguments against this statement probably says a lot about me - none of it good. Am I too gullible or impressionable? I'd say at best I try to avoid conflict, and even then that's not always good.

Well, you considered the question in a vacuum, without thinking of the next leading question this priest would ask in a real conversation where he was attempting to convert you to his way of thinking. Start with an obvious question, follow it up with logical extensions, then after your target has been agreeing with you for a while, spring your dogma on them as if it follows from your previous points.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

A shameful typo in the game.

Anyway, in response to the question, yes, that's terrible. Unfortunately, stupidity and gross incompetence are not things that can be cured or banned, no matter how hard you try. No, not even with exile.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, fortunately uranium doesn't occur naturally in a form that will disperse easily, so accidentally poisoning a large area with it is not likely to happen. Unless you were talking about irradiation, which is very unlikely, since uranium isn't actually all that radioactive in the first place.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The leader doesn't seem to be a fundamentalist when we spoke to him, but judging from the books attributed to him, there is definitely a significant element in the Anama church that is.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I was curious if the GIFTs came before or after the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, and to my surprise the latter term wasn't coined until 2004. I suppose I shouldn't have expected it to be quite so old as the original Exile, but I thought for sure it would go back further than that.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You know what's probably really good at taking care of basilisks in most cases? Summoning spells. Unless there's one right behind a door or something.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The number one threat to Valorim: bears!

... Anyway, let's go west.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
A couple updates ago, there was a ring of trees that you couldn't get in to. Could the orb have shown you what was in there, if anything?

e: It's actually right there in update 60.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

vdate posted:

Ahahahaha! Assuming I understand you correctly, that would allay some of the concerns I had with this theory back when I reread the first two LPs - specifically, that Art was too young in Exile 1 for my theory to work properly. (Although I don't think the LPs were ever explicit about how old she is in any of them, and I have no idea how long it is between games.)

She's in her 50's now, right? So she'd have been in her 40's when she was exiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You seem to call Rentar-Ihrno 'he' a couple times, when the in-game text says 'she'.

• Locked thread