Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

I've seen a bunch of places upcharging on those loving things and it makes my blood boil.

Also if your shop doesn't bag & board for free you should find a new loving shop.

My shop doesn't, but he hooks me up on back issues and other poo poo so it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

To be fair, having a pull list isn't really of benefit to the customer, but it is super helpful for your retailer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, I hate dealing with pull lists. For the people who can only make it in once a month it is very useful. Most retailers would do away with them given the chance but the industry has beaten this YOU MUST PREORDER nonsense into the consumers head.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it untrue that if a comic has low orders it might be difficult to get since stores don't want to over-order? That seems like a good reason to preorder. (Granted, I'm KILLING COMIC SHOPS by only buying digital so what do I know?)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Nah, I hate dealing with pull lists. For the people who can only make it in once a month it is very useful. Most retailers would do away with them given the chance but the industry has beaten this YOU MUST PREORDER nonsense into the consumers head.

This makes no sense to me. Please explain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

This makes no sense to me. Please explain.

Which part?

We base our sales on what has sold previously. For new books we make educated guesses on how much to order.

As for why I don't like dealing with them, you tend to get a few weirdos who get upset when you don't pull a copy of Everyman #438 because Nobodyman made a guest appearance AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rhyno posted:

Also if your shop doesn't bag & board for free you should find a new loving shop.

I've got six shops within a half-hour drive and none of them bag and board, to my knowledge. :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Which part?

We base our sales on what has sold previously. For new books we make educated guesses on how much to order.

As for why I don't like dealing with them, you tend to get a few weirdos who get upset when you don't pull a copy of Everyman #438 because Nobodyman made a guest appearance AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT.

I don’t understand why you would want to give up the guaranteed sales and the additional knowledge your pull lists give you. Those weirdos are going to shop at your store and be weirdos anyway. Without a pull list they’d just be mad at you for something else.

Like most businesses would love to have customers so bought in to the pre-order model.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Which part?

Lmao gently caress those nerds. When there's situations like that, I just email my guy and he gets it in there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My shop doesn't like to "guess" on new books where they have virtually nothing historic to go on, which is where pull lists are helpful to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well we're doing just fine with our system. We have 20 years of sales data so it's usually a very educated guess.

In other news, we recently bought a heat press to do some minor restoration work on damaged books. Today we pressed a book that came from a very sketchy collection and a very bad odor started coming from the book in the press. Based on the condition of the sellers teeth i immediately guessed these books had been exposed to meth fumes so the PD is sending someone to check if they are a hazmat risk.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Pre-Order Experience

Rhyno: Hello customer, how the hell are ya? Good to see you. I have a fresh copy of your favorite comic ready for purchase, but feel free to browse our wares and pick up something else. gently caress yeah!

Comixology: gently caress off, I already took your money. Get ready to see that comic on sale next weekend, bitch.

*cusses added per Rhyno's comment*

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well i cuss a bit more but that's about right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Well we're doing just fine with our system. We have 20 years of sales data so it's usually a very educated guess.

In other news, we recently bought a heat press to do some minor restoration work on damaged books. Today we pressed a book that came from a very sketchy collection and a very bad odor started coming from the book in the press. Based on the condition of the sellers teeth i immediately guessed these books had been exposed to meth fumes so the PD is sending someone to check if they are a hazmat risk.

UPDATE

The books were definitely exposed to meth fumes according to the little sniffer thingee. They are handling the destruction so at least I don't have to worry about that.

METH!

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

UPDATE

The books were definitely exposed to meth fumes according to the little sniffer thingee. They are handling the destruction so at least I don't have to worry about that.

METH!

Could've sold em for 10 times the price to meth addicts to smoke. Those people buy each others scabs - comics would be a step up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I've seen a bunch of places upcharging on those loving things and it makes my blood boil.

Lmao didn't you rip some guy off for his new 52 Batman, that you bought out of pocket on the clock, so you could resell it to the store for more money

gently caress off rhyno you don't get to talk poo poo about anyone's business practices

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Which part?

You know what helps make educated guesses

Information about how many people are demonstrably interested in it such as how many people have added it to their pull list

You're a loving crazy person

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lmao didn't you rip some guy off for his new 52 Batman, that you bought out of pocket on the clock, so you could resell it to the store for more money

gently caress off rhyno you don't get to talk poo poo about anyone's business practices

Yeah that's about 10% of the incident, go ahead and omit the part where he was making vague threats of violence if we didn't buy his comics.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You know what helps make educated guesses

Information about how many people are demonstrably interested in it such as how many people have added it to their pull list

You're a loving crazy person

Preorders are useless and the bulk of the larger retailers in this industry agree with that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every other industry tries to have preorders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Every other industry tries to have preorders.

No other industry functions in this manner. When a video game sells out it's not like there's never going to be another copy pressed. If we didn't have to worry about order thresholds, sales gimmicks and products being unavailable before they even hit the stands this industry would be much stronger.

Edit: I am talking about the system of preordering product, not pull lists.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Yeah that's about 10% of the incident, go ahead and omit the part where he was making vague threats of violence if we didn't buy his comics.

yeah uh huh sure that's why you were crowing about getting one over on this dude and it wasn't part of the story you told

Rhyno posted:

Preorders are useless and the bulk of the larger retailers in this industry agree with that.

Rhyno posted:

No other industry functions in this manner. When a video game sells out it's not like there's never going to be another copy pressed. If we didn't have to worry about order thresholds, sales gimmicks and products being unavailable before they even hit the stands this industry would be much stronger.

and i was talking about pull lists and knowing ahead of time how many people for sure want something which is not the same as a preorder you fuckin loon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know what you're talking about anymore.

And yeah, what I did was wrong and I did own up to it. Doesn't change it but I admitted it was wrong in that same thread dude.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guy who acts like a belligerent rear end in a top hat all the time doesn't know poo poo about the industry he claims to be an expert on, passerby amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I don't know what you're talking about anymore.

And yeah, what I did was wrong and I did own up to it. Doesn't change it but I admitted it was wrong in that same thread dude.

no you didn't, because i spent multiple pages calling you a shithead while you defended yourself, but its weird how more details crop up that paint you as the good guy, glad to see you haven't changed any

also i'm responding to you being mad as gently caress about pull lists to tell you that pull lists are good and give you information about what you should order for quantity, for example if only one person puts it on their list, maybe don't order 100 copies of Spider-Man's Dentist #1. you seem to equate adding poo poo to your list with preordering which isn't nearly the same thing, but again, you being a belligerent rear end in a top hat is the norm

edit if you expect me to believe you have ever admitted fault in your entire posting career you are dumb as heck

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay bro, whatever you say!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was on your side until you said bro.

You get some weird folks that come in trying to sell their books. Lot of older ladies, that you have to politely tell their kid's collection from the nineties isn't worth anything, but there's some real assholes out there that convinced themselves they've got some valuable stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I was on your side until you said bro.

You get some weird folks that come in trying to sell their books. Lot of older ladies, that you have to politely tell their kid's collection from the nineties isn't worth anything, but there's some real assholes out there that convinced themselves they've got some valuable stuff.

You probably have it worse since you're in a larger metro area than I am.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Building a Better Comic Shop - Rhyno Once Stabbed An Infant For a MISB X-Force #1 w/ Cable Card.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

:wow: Someone sure has a grudge in this here thread...!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno Assault Man blew up a schoolbus full of children

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mentally handicapped children.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

This stuff is all present in other niche retailers too, comics aren't unique in that regard. I agree the preorder system is pretty lovely for the retailers though. The gimmick stuff in particular (but there is a solution to gimmicks like "order 100 to get 1 variant": just don't buy it).

Your posts a couple weeks ago were complaining about pull lists though, not preorders. I let it go but I truly do not understand why a store would not want customer preorders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

This stuff is all present in other niche retailers too, comics aren't unique in that regard. I agree the preorder system is pretty lovely for the retailers though. The gimmick stuff in particular (but there is a solution to gimmicks like "order 100 to get 1 variant": just don't buy it).

Your posts a couple weeks ago were complaining about pull lists though, not preorders. I let it go but I truly do not understand why a store would not want customer preorders.

It's just a headache to have to keep track of pull files. You always have that one guy who loses his poo poo over a single book being missed (because he never asked for it). We currently track all pull books at their own category just to simplify things. I know there are store that have no pull files and others that if you go past their minimum pickup time they boot your file and you never get it back and those stores are thriving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I forgot to post in here but I have left my position at the store (6 weeks ago actually). I still have a ton of friends in the retail side and a few in the actual comics industry so I'll still post cool poo poo when i come across it but for actual in store shop talk we'll have to rely on the other comic goons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Did you leave to pursue your dream of opening your own comic/sex toy shop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't really agree with the direction the store was taking since we rebranded and i was clashing with one of the owners too frequently. I was initially let go, then asked to come back so I did a few days and realized I no longer wanted to work there. So it really worked out for the best, I'm actually enjoying comics again for the first time in years. It's so good to just be a fan again.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Must be nice marrying into money ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She does make good money I can not lie.

I have 7 interviews lined up for when we get home this week so i won't be out long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weren't you talking about moving to a marginally less racist part of the country anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is off the table for now as my wife took a position here in town. We may end up in North or South Carolina in 2 years or so.

I was hoping to stay at the store until that time but it was not meant to be. But man, i went into Comix Experience last night and it was such a great feeling to just enjoy the atmosphere and not have to worry about poo poo.

Also the trip to DCs offices was just insanely cool and far more enjoyable as a fan and not an over stressed retailer.

• Locked thread