Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

How many Suicide Squads and Harleys are you selling this weekend?

Well, going by the previous post, either none, or all of them, depending on when this dude came in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For perspective.

We were down to selling 12 copies of New Suicide Squad prior to Rebirth and 20-24 copies of Harley Quinn as of #29. By yesterday we'd sold 65 copies of SS Rebirth #1 and 89 copies of HQ #1. We ordered 200 copies of SSR #1 and #250 copies of HQ#1.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

As far as clothing goes, when you order, is it just one of each size? I swear my local shop only carries large and extra large of anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Old Man Pants posted:

As far as clothing goes, when you order, is it just one of each size? I swear my local shop only carries large and extra large of anything.

They know their market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Man Pants posted:

Well we recently got out of t-shirts because of the need to have so much stock and not being able to anticipate which sizes will actually sell. There's no default size that will be a universal seller. At the same time we've found great success with comic book themed hats, backpacks, wallets and lanyards.

Endless Mike posted:

They know their market.

The XXXL guys are too discerning to buy a lowly comic book t-shirt. Anime "club" shirts are making a comeback.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The XXXL guys are too discerning to buy a lowly comic book t-shirt. Anime "club" shirts are making a comeback.
Finally!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What's an anime club shirt?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

What's an anime club shirt?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

These go great with some JCNOs and frosted tips.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diamond just put up the authorized return list for the first month of DC Rebirth. My store has FOUR books left that qualify out of several thousand issues. Aside from Dennis Barger and his lies the rumbles around the retail industry is that this is the norm and Rebirth is now officially a monster hit.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Building on a throwaway post you made in a different thread, tell us about the pedo card sting op.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kizudarake posted:

Building on a throwaway post you made in a different thread, tell us about the pedo card sting op.

Haha, I will write up the details on my lunch break.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I didn't forget about this but it dawned on me that Operation Pokemon Pedophile is an ongoing thing and I still have yet to go testify in court I don't think I can give too much detail.

Basically they set up a hidden camera and we would turn it on when the creeps in question would show up and they could monitor their interactions with the children during open Pokemon play on Saturdays. The police saw enough to detain two individuals, one of which was indeed a sex offender, the other is the one I will eventually have to go to court and throw under a bus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pokemon sex offenders get out REEEEEEEE

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Weird question, but could anyone here who works at a shop possibly check and see if The Valiant TPB (the 4 issue mini chiefly written by Lemire) is available for order through Diamond? I've been slowly going through reading all of the Valiant back catalogue and for some reason my store says they can't get this one in. They're sometimes weird about ordering stuff, though, and I see it available various places online.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

Weird question, but could anyone here who works at a shop possibly check and see if The Valiant TPB (the 4 issue mini chiefly written by Lemire) is available for order through Diamond? I've been slowly going through reading all of the Valiant back catalogue and for some reason my store says they can't get this one in. They're sometimes weird about ordering stuff, though, and I see it available various places online.

They might not be finding the correct results. Have them key in this code: MAR151614. That will bring up the Valiant softcover.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When did Pull List become the nomenclature for the books held for you? When I was a kid, you had an account, or some stores the comic club, but in recent years, its pulls or pull list. I never hear anything but Pull List in any media about comics currently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

When did Pull List become the nomenclature for the books held for you? When I was a kid, you had an account, or some stores the comic club, but in recent years, its pulls or pull list. I never hear anything but Pull List in any media about comics currently.

Been pull list for me since my first lcbs in 92.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh hey, so I talked in here about how the local comic shop closed down like 4 months ago. Well, I found another one sorta nearby in the next town [but like, literally a 5 minute drive from where my town becomes that town] and... it's a mix of amazing and terrible.

First of all, it's huge - like, three times the size of the comic shop that closed down. Their comics section is about the size of the other comic shop's entire store [which had comics, card games, board games, figurines, and toys]. They even have a little sitting area and coffee shop kinda like the Starbucks inside a barnes and noble, and give discounts on the coffee/tea if you bought some comics.

It's also like, 100% clean. Every surface looks like it is polished daily, there are no stains on the floor, it's all very well lit and super nice.

The terrible part though - the staff is a bunch of neckbeard weirdos who got in a verbal argument with someone who mentioned Marvel Unlimited in the store (another customer wanted to know how they could get back issues of the Secret Wars event), and told them that [basically] Marvel is ruining comics by favoring digital platforms, and is the reason comic shops are dying and that Disney is intentionally killing the hobby by ruining comic shop sales and that he should FEEL BAD for stealing money from the honest comic shops that need it by using marvel unlimited.

He had literally just got done telling the same customer asking for back issues that the shop had no way to get them for him.

I feel like it's stuff like this that pushes me towards digital only, because dealing with comic shop workers is always weird. We have no chill ones out here, you'd think all of them would be stoned out of their goddamn gourds .

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KittyEmpress posted:

I feel like it's stuff like this that pushes me towards digital only, because dealing with comic shop workers is always weird. We have no chill ones out here, you'd think all of them would be stoned out of their goddamn gourds .

We're all terrible. But lots of people see to like me as I keep getting invited to be on convention panels and podcasts and stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I sold music, people would openly say they were going to download the albums and movies we sold. But that was literally talking about stealing stuff, rather than legal downloading and streaming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

When I sold music, people would openly say they were going to download the albums and movies we sold. But that was literally talking about stealing stuff, rather than legal downloading and streaming.

We have a few guys like that. "Oh I'll just download it." At least one of them was arrested for shoplifting elsewhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

We have a few guys like that. "Oh I'll just download it." At least one of them was arrested for shoplifting elsewhere.

We took away our listening stations that any CD could be listened to (we kept the ones that were locked into specific cds) because people were literally listening to cds to see if they were worth downloading. What the hell?

I mean that's like walking into a store and picking up a trade and stating you're just going to sit down and read it rather than buying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

We took away our listening stations that any CD could be listened to (we kept the ones that were locked into specific cds) because people were literally listening to cds to see if they were worth downloading. What the hell?

I mean that's like walking into a store and picking up a trade and stating you're just going to sit down and read it rather than buying it.

I have an epidemic of people who just sit on the floor and read stuff. When I shoo them away they say they'll just go rad it at B&N. Fuckers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

I have an epidemic of people who just sit on the floor and read stuff. When I shoo them away they say they'll just go rad it at B&N. Fuckers.

As a paying customer (of other places unfortunately), I appreciate this so much. I've had to return books with pages torn out because of that behavior.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pour one out, my preferred lcbs is closing its doors. I switched over when I moved across the river and it was so much more inviting than the others I've used. This isn't totally out of nowhere but it still bums me out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Assholes. Like as I said, if they're kids, you can kind of forgive it, but adults, its basically stealing.

I swear my LCS is kept afloat by pokemon currently. The sudden influx of people buying it and showing up for the sunday morning gaming has increased sales massively.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just wanted to post how much I appreciate comic shops in the gluttonous days of eBay and digital. For the first 20 issues or so of Saga I was...being a bad boy about reading them...and I decided it was too good of a series to not actually show my appreciation for, so I bought up all the trades.

Then I decided I couldn't wait for new issues, so I added it to my pull list. I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to books, so I mentioned to the manager that I was going to try and track down the older issues, as expensive as that was going to be. She told me she'd check stock at the other locations.

I came in today to a giant bag full of about 80% of the issues from 8+, with a few second printings - sold all for cover price, when they could have easily been sold on eBay for waaaay more than that.

This is the reason I will continue to go to this shop even though there are 3 closer ones. Good effing people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot imagine there are many comic stores like they were when I was a kid around. You know, the cluttered stores with long boxes everywhere, the new comics racks where the only part of the store that had any organization; statues, figures, cards, and back issues everywhere. Run by some guy that comparing them to Comic Book Guy would actually be disservice to the Simpsons character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot imagine there are many comic stores like they were when I was a kid around. You know, the cluttered stores with long boxes everywhere, the new comics racks where the only part of the store that had any organization; statues, figures, cards, and back issues everywhere. Run by some guy that comparing them to Comic Book Guy would actually be disservice to the Simpsons character.

That's A&M Comics and Books in Miami, the store I grew up going to in the '80s and '90s.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/aandm-comics-one-of-the-oldest-comic-book-stores-in-america-6485644

http://miami.racked.com/2014/9/15/7576919/am-comics-comic-book-store-miami

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/08/is-this-the-worst-looking-comics-store-in-america/

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

twistedmentat posted:

I seem to find them everywhere.

Except for the Comic Book Guy -like owner, I've had good luck with having nothing but nice people sell me stuff.

But I don't understand that store layout, where the back issue longboxes are in the middle of the store, and the current issues and TPBs are pushed to the walls. That's a lot of valuable space for something that (I assume) only a minority of the hobby cares for. Yet I still see it all the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

lifg posted:

I seem to find them everywhere.

Except for the Comic Book Guy -like owner, I've had good luck with having nothing but nice people sell me stuff.

But I don't understand that store layout, where the back issue longboxes are in the middle of the store, and the current issues and TPBs are pushed to the walls. That's a lot of valuable space for something that (I assume) only a minority of the hobby cares for. Yet I still see it all the time.

The store I grew up with was like that, dark, dank street level store with poo poo everywhere. Lots and LOTS of statues of famous monsters and stuff like that which was there for years. The owner, while not looking like a CBG, certainly acted like one.

Then another store opened up, while still fairly cluttered, was still organized, you could find stuff easily, even though it was in a basement it was brightly lit, and the guy who runs it was like your cool uncle who had all the neat stuff that was more than happy to talk with you about it.

There's a reason it won best comic store ever in Wizard Magazine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We put our back issues at the very back of the store. I think we have a pretty good display but they go in the back where that poo poo belongs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Does Black Friday affect your sales at all? What kind of deals seem to work best?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the sexual Shiite posted:

Does Black Friday affect your sales at all? What kind of deals seem to work best?

We usually pick a few "door busters" but they almost never work out. Last year all our BF sales were just normal merchandise, it's become clear to us that it's pointless to offer a specific trade of figure for a deep discount because everyone wants something different.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS is moving to order only for comics. Unless you have an account, you're not getting any new comics. Sales for them are not enough for them to justify having a large rack right at the front of the store. The Manager told me she's going to bring in a few of the best sellers, so highly anticipated #1s or consistent sellers like Batman or Avengers stuff, but no more floppy rack. Members will get free Previews so they will know what's coming out so you can keep up to date with new books, but yea no more "this looks interesting" and picking up random stuff.

The store has seen a massive surge of Pokemon recently, like when It was warmer you could barely get into the store for all the kids clamoring around the cash trying to look at the binders and case cards, that they actually need more space for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just in time for that game to crash for the 3rd time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds to me like you're not going to have a comic shop much longer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds to me like you're not going to have a comic shop much longer.

On the plus side, enjoy your new card/tabletop game shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
On average 40-50% of the days sales are pokemon. It's a wealthy area with lots of young kids so, yea.

Hopefully it won't crash but that happened to magic this year.

• Locked thread