Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What else are they selling that they can just drop new issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

What else are they selling that they can just drop new issues?

Good question. Pokemon cards might be gold right now but that poo poo will flop out hard in less than a year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, it's not like they're moving it out just for pokemon, it was just a joke between us that the new comics rack would be removed to make space for Pokemon, as that's what's hot right now.

But they're still selling trades, back issues, classic comics, action figures, statues, pops, rpgs, art books, all the normal stuff, just that the new floppies are taking up too much space in proportion to their sales, as most of new comic sales are from people with memberships already.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Well, it's not like they're moving it out just for pokemon, it was just a joke between us that the new comics rack would be removed to make space for Pokemon, as that's what's hot right now.

But they're still selling trades, back issues, classic comics, action figures, statues, pops, rpgs, art books, all the normal stuff, just that the new floppies are taking up too much space in proportion to their sales, as most of new comic sales are from people with memberships already.

Wait, they're keeping back issues but dumping new issues? Uhhh

I don't know what the margins are on new comics but that seems like a really strange / bad idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jordan7hm posted:

Wait, they're keeping back issues but dumping new issues? Uhhh

I don't know what the margins are on new comics but that seems like a really strange / bad idea.

Yea, the current back issues they have, they're not going to throw them out or something. Basically the majority of people who buy new comics get them as part of a membership, and she's constantly stuck with 17 copies of Rebirth Blue Beetle or NOW Foolkiller, and it's a waste of money. note: Those are not real numbers, just meaning she has tons of extra books that don't sell and take up space.

So new comics won't be dropped, just they will be ordered to fill memberships and nothing else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All DC Rebirth books have been 100% returnable so that is not a valid excuse really.

Our single issue sales have almost doubled in the last few years. The secret of our success?

Fire anyone creepy and staff the store with normal people who can look a woman in the eyes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

All DC Rebirth books have been 100% returnable so that is not a valid excuse really.

Our single issue sales have almost doubled in the last few years. The secret of our success?

Fire anyone creepy and staff the store with normal people who can look a woman in the eyes.

My god you must have a harder time staffing than I do, and I hire computer techs and installers for an insulting low amount of pay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have one ultra nerdy dude, one guy in his 40s who is really great with children, the rear end in a top hat (me) and one dude who is getting close to being canned because he's just too loving weird.

Also comic margins are not bad even after shipping. It's not hard to track sales trends to find out what is selling and what is not.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

We have one ultra nerdy dude

Donatello

Rhyno posted:

one guy in his 40s who is really great with children

Leonardo

Rhyno posted:

the rear end in a top hat (me)

Raphael

Rhyno posted:

one dude who is getting close to being canned because he's just too loving weird.

Um... Genghis Frog?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

one dude who is getting close to being canned because he's just too loving weird.

Define weird. What are we talking about here? Is he a bit to passionate about certain comics and goes into customer offending rants or does he fart into cash registers?

Have you tried talking to him about it?

Also in that same vein of not carrying comics, I know a hobby shop guy that tried to do comics for a bit. After a year he just gave up because no one would buy from him. Including regulars, who would actually meet up at his store, then drive to another store, buy a comic there, and then drive back and read it in his store. I think he had one guy that had a decent pull list, and I bought a few trades from him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean the guy works with Rhyno and still stands out as weird. Gotta be up there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I mean the guy works with Rhyno and still stands out as weird. Gotta be up there.

Hey!

I'm COOL.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

There are 2 staff and both are women in their 20s.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rhyno posted:

Hey!

I'm COOL.

Prove it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Staves. 2 staves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Clearly they need to hire some creeps and fire them.

I've had the sex!

With ladies even!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the current back issues they have, they're not going to throw them out or something. Basically the majority of people who buy new comics get them as part of a membership, and she's constantly stuck with 17 copies of Rebirth Blue Beetle or NOW Foolkiller, and it's a waste of money. note: Those are not real numbers, just meaning she has tons of extra books that don't sell and take up space.

So new comics won't be dropped, just they will be ordered to fill memberships and nothing else.

I mean, that's fine, but it's not a sustainable business model if the business model involves selling comic books. (there is perhaps a larger question about business model here, though the stores in my city seem to do pretty well)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I guess you're lucky you're on the decision committee!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, that's fine, but it's not a sustainable business model if the business model involves selling comic books. (there is perhaps a larger question about business model here, though the stores in my city seem to do pretty well)

Books in Canada cost a lot, and the store sells lots of other stuff besides comics, where new comics are not a big seller so they don't deserve a giant space in the front of the store. As I said, if you want new comics you get a membership which nets you a discount and some other benefits. Trades do really well there, so their space is justified, as do action figures/statues.

Again I stress, they're not getting rid of comic sales, they're just not going to order beyond what they need to fill memberships with some exceptions.

But yea, I thought you could return all Rebirth stuff until recently, but I was told they had too many of some rebirth titles. I'll has to inquire about that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All initially ordered Rebirth books (and Young Animal) are fully returnable through issue 6. The only copies that are not returnable are reorders. I checked, this was for Canadian retailers as well. So possibly they ordered very low initial numbers, placed large reorders that then didn't sell? I dunno.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, man, a comic shop that doesn't sell comics doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's gonna last very long!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, man, a comic shop that doesn't sell comics doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's gonna last very long!

They sell comics. It works like this, if 10 people have AN Wolverine on their pull lists, they order 10 copies. Before they'd order 15 or 20, and end up stuck with a bunch of extras. I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for you to grasp.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So if I walked in off the street and said "hi, do you have the new issue of All New Wolverine?" the shop would say "no, but we can order you the 2nd printing, come back when it's out and we'll have it for you". Then I suppose it's up to me whether I wait or if I try and track down the issue elsewhere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

They sell comics. It works like this, if 10 people have AN Wolverine on their pull lists, they order 10 copies. Before they'd order 15 or 20, and end up stuck with a bunch of extras. I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for you to grasp.

Yes, but how do attract new customers to that aspect of the business if there's no visible evidence that it even exists. Plus even though a lot of us are very plugged into online culture and I bet you've seen the odd book on a comics store shelf that you've though "huh, looks neat, how come I never heard of it?". That's not going to happen if you're skimming Previews

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Books in Canada cost a lot, and the store sells lots of other stuff besides comics, where new comics are not a big seller so they don't deserve a giant space in the front of the store. As I said, if you want new comics you get a membership which nets you a discount and some other benefits. Trades do really well there, so their space is justified, as do action figures/statues.

Again I stress, they're not getting rid of comic sales, they're just not going to order beyond what they need to fill memberships with some exceptions.

I'm in Canada, I know how expensive they are. If I can't browse new titles I'm not going to add new titles to my pull list - I make that decision on the day I go to the shop to pick up my comics. If they didn't sell new titles in the first place I would never have set up a pull list. If my main interest was comics I would find a new store. That would have a knock-on effect on my purchases of trades and maybe even board games, if the new store sold those too.

If you can't get new customers you can't maintain a business. (that's not to say they should be selling comics, maybe they should be selling other things instead)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Look at it this way, replace 'comics' with any other product and you'd think they were getting out of that market. If they weren't ordering new Magic booster packs, but you could get them on order specially with a membership, you'd think they were stopping doing Magic cards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe, I mean it was a discussion between the Manager and the Owner, and they felt there was too much floor space devoted to new comics that just didn't sell. I am not privy to the books, but I doubt this is a change they decided on . Rarely did people come off the street and grab a random comic, randos off the street almost always bought trades. I mean, none of us can predict how this will effect the store, but new comics bought off the rack did make up at most 10% of daily sales.

And they're not 100% getting rid of their non-membership new comics, just won't order everything, that will be the managers discretion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Going to pull list only for new comics is something a lot of stores think sounds good as a cost saving measure but it can end up hurting business for the reasons described. Keeping your big names is probably a good idea.

On a similar note, I went to EB/Gamestop earlier today looking for something (which of course they didn't have) and the store is now 2/3 collectibles as well. I was looking for a PS4 stand, and their former accessory wall is now board games and t-shirts. Non-controller extras are reduced to about 12 pegs on a little shelf. Gamestop is propped up by Funko too. The Canadian ones haven't even moved in all the Thinkgeek junk yet either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Going to pull list only for new comics is something a lot of stores think sounds good as a cost saving measure but it can end up hurting business for the reasons described. Keeping your big names is probably a good idea.

On a similar note, I went to EB/Gamestop earlier today looking for something (which of course they didn't have) and the store is now 2/3 collectibles as well. I was looking for a PS4 stand, and their former accessory wall is now board games and t-shirts. Non-controller extras are reduced to about 12 pegs on a little shelf. Gamestop is propped up by Funko too. The Canadian ones haven't even moved in all the Thinkgeek junk yet either.

Yea, they'll have the Batman, Detective, Spider-man, Avengers, Saga and X-men titles and their like, but they probably won't bring in any Young Animal stuff beyond what's ordered or small print run indie stuff for the most part. If there is a highly anticipated new title that's getting a lot of buzz, they'd probably bring in some extras as well. It's just the big rack at the front of the store is going away and new comics won't be as front and center with a smaller selection.

And I worked for HMV when they started to transition from pure movies and cds to having large amounts of collectables. Canadian retail is brutal, it's hard to be really successful these days because prices are so drat high for everything, and when it comes to, for lack of a better word, nerd stuff, it's hard to just sell one thing and say afloat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Over the weekend someone found a copy of Marvel Super Heroes #8 in our $1 back issue bins. I am told he did a mocking "gently caress you" happy dance to my coworker who rang him up and bragged that it's worth hundreds of dollars. For those who are unaware the book is the first appearance of Squirrel Girl.

Well joke was on him, three pages of that story were ripped out of the book, that's why it was in the $1 bins. So he comes in today and he's loving PISSED and is making accusations that we ripped him off. And not only does he want his money back, he wants to be compensated for the loss he's going to take as he claims he already had it sold for a large sum before he inspected the book.

Y'all can guess how I dealt with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Canada it's way easier to throw $1 at someone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

In Canada it's way easier to throw $1 at someone.

He didn't want his money back, he wanted me to pay him for the loss he was allegedly taking on it. Nevermind you can buy a clean copy for $25-30.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The reason I continue to shop at my local comic book store is because they can manage a pull list.

I got back into comics two years ago when the new Darth Vader comics came out. But the local comic shops had closed so the only place to get them was this used book store called 2nd & Charles. They are a chain of used book stores that also sell a bunch of used stuff like video games, CDs and trendy nic-nac crap. They had a bunch of comics and were getting new issues, even exclusive Marvel variants.

So I naively signed up for their pull list and what followed was a half year of comedy. They didn't even order the comics I asked for, they didn't order any Darth Vader comics after issues #3, They lost six issues of secret avengers in their box. They would routinely try to sell me other people's orders because they kept forgetting if comics go behind or in front of people's list.

I tried to explain to them that this was a problem, but they never really seemed to understand that it was a problem. They just kept telling me they were comic book fans too.

Thankfully a comic book store opened up a couple of blocks away and they are able to sell me comics and keep a pull list. I enjoy being able to walk into their store and buying the comics I asked for in my pull list.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That first shop sounds pretty terrible.

Today a guy came in with a statue he bought THREE YEARS ago wanting to return it. He didn't even try to bullshit me, he said it was on sale on Amazon for $22 and he wanted his $60 back that he'd spent back in 2013.

Again, guess how well that went for him.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Jesus Christ what is in these morons' heads?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My local store sold my requested mtg planechase set out from under me.

As in, I told them I wanted it, put 20 bucks down, they ordered it, and sold it to some random off the street. It was an accident, and they're trying to reorder it, but drat, that sucks.

Edit is not quote.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let me know, we have some in stock.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Let me know, we have some in stock.

What price, shipped to 42420?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the sexual Shiite posted:

What price, shipped to 42420?

I will toss one in a box and weigh it tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Assholes. Like as I said, if they're kids, you can kind of forgive it, but adults, its basically stealing.

I understand the frustration of people browsing and not buying anything, and I don't want this to come across as hostile, but this is really not 'basically stealing' and if anybody ever said that to me while I was standing around reading comics in a comic store I would loudly exclaim "Are you kidding me?", walk out, and never come back.

The entire benefit of having a local shop instead of using the internet is the ability to hang out, talk to people about comics, and read comics to determine if I want to buy them or not.
Sometimes I go to my LCS, I know exactly what I want, don't bother browsing, and pick up all the comics I've been meaning to pick up for 6 months and some things I think my friends will like. Sometimes I go in on the weekend before payday or some other day when I can't pick anything up, read some trades for series I've never had a chance to check out, look through some single issues to see if there's anything currently going on that I like, and make a mental list of what I want to buy in a week/month/whenever. Sometimes I go in to pick up some single issues, see a trade for a series I love but haven't read in years, and end up getting sucked into it for a while.
The fact that I can do this in a place where I feel like the employees are friendly, helpful, and glad to have me there, is the reason I make a point to try and buy something I know they'll make a solid profit on as often as I can, and any recommendations of comics to friends include a "And I know they carry it here" tacked on with an explanation of how great the store is.

I love to support my LCS, but if I ever felt like I was being pressured into buying something because they are owed me buying something, I would find a new store.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread