Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty sure they're talking about people who wwren't going to buy anything in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

Pretty sure they're talking about people who wwren't going to buy anything in the first place.

Yep. Some one who comes in and leafs though New Frontier to see what its like is different from someone who picks it up and reads it cover to cover.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Rhyno, any luck?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the sexual Shiite posted:

Rhyno, any luck?

We got crushed today but I set one aside, I will get you a price asap!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We got crushed today but I set one aside, I will get you a price asap!

How much before shipping?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Over the weekend someone found a copy of Marvel Super Heroes #8 in our $1 back issue bins. I am told he did a mocking "gently caress you" happy dance to my coworker who rang him up and bragged that it's worth hundreds of dollars. For those who are unaware the book is the first appearance of Squirrel Girl.

Well joke was on him, three pages of that story were ripped out of the book, that's why it was in the $1 bins. So he comes in today and he's loving PISSED and is making accusations that we ripped him off. And not only does he want his money back, he wants to be compensated for the loss he's going to take as he claims he already had it sold for a large sum before he inspected the book.

Y'all can guess how I dealt with that.

I need to check this thread more often this is hilarious

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've heard stories of people finding valuable comics in bargain bins, mostly because they buy some collection and it's mostly filled with 90s xmen or pop stained 70s batmans, so they go in the bins. They miss the handful of valuable stuff because it was 2 comics out of a full longbox and there's poo poo to do and they don't have time to go through hundreds of comics. The stories I've heard are either someone who is way to helpful pointing out "oh hey there is a Hulk #180" and letting the staff know they have a valuable comic on hand. Or they try to buy the Batman #428 and the staffer realizes what's going on and takes it saying "Mistake!" and when the customer demands it be sold for a buck, they're denied, because really, that is a mistake and valuable comics are money in the bank. It's kind of lovely customer service, but it's not like comics are a super lucrative business that you can let a comic worth hundreds of dollars go for discount prices just to satisfy someone that was clearly trying to pull one over.

Though I've certainly heard of people who have grabbed a bunch of bargain comics and mixed regular back issues into them hoping the cashier won't bother looking at what they're ringing in and just see the pile is a bunch of Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics but miss the mid range priced back issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Though I've certainly heard of people who have grabbed a bunch of bargain comics and mixed regular back issues into them hoping the cashier won't bother looking at what they're ringing in and just see the pile is a bunch of Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics but miss the mid range priced back issue.

This happens almost every day I work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We have a local used bookstore that opens up its warehouse one Saturday a month, with seemingly-endless longboxes of completely unsorted back issues for a dollar each (and somewhat more prized books at higher prices, kept apart). While the disorder really bothers me (I am a librarian), I've found some real treasures thumbing through those boxes. The guy buys people's collections for pennies on the dollar and pulls out anything with Harley Quinn or Deadpool or anything truly valuable, but I pieced together a complete run of Ostrander's Suicide Squad and all the tie-ins and crossovers for a buck apiece, just from being patient and methodical.

I've also found lots of the great Arthur Adams comics I used to own as a kid that were sold off in several collection purges over the years, and even got him to sign some of them at a convention last summer. Also got Flash #182, Geoff Johns' great Captain Cold origin story, for a buck, which was a nice needle in a haystack. He doesn't have much from before the '80s, but it's amazing just how much he has from the '80s up to the present. And it's cool and good to see parents with their kids going through the comics, as well as couples hanging out together.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How many brass Batman statues are you ordering for next week, Rhyno?
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC150389

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's nothing, some company is doing a $35000 3-meter tall AT-AT.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

This happens almost every day I work.

I'm not surprised in the least.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh, that will go as well as my shop's repilca Batarang from Arkham City, complete with a full sized Bat-Arm holding it used for display, avalable for several thousand dollars.

In less words, don't loving go for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some opinions. We're thinking of retooling the entire comic rack.

Here's the current setup

And here's our possible new display. (I just grabbed a bunch of overstock to fill it)

We'd be adding a full additional row of comics and an upper row for figures, hats, POPS or whatever. What do you guys think?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the look of the new rack but it looks a lot smaller width wise? Im guessing having to get a couple more to fill the necessary space isn't a concern though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's that Saga thing on the right edge of the picture?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

What's that Saga thing on the right edge of the picture?

The action figure set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I like the look of the new rack but it looks a lot smaller width wise? Im guessing having to get a couple more to fill the necessary space isn't a concern though

It's just one segment of what would be a larger display.

Each new segment would replace one of these

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you sacrificing depth in the new one? It doesn't look as deep.
If thats not a problem, go for it. You can't hang a Superman beanie on the old one!

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It looks like your bottom row butts up against the row above it in the proposed configuration. Is it just an illusion, or is there more space between the other rows than the bottom two? Was that the price you had to pay in order to fit an additional row? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about the new configuration. There's already considerably more effort involved with picking something up from the bottom shelf compared to something at waist-to-chest height, so if you need the extra row or are set on adding it, maybe think about putting the "boxed in" row closer to the middle of the rack.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you wouldn't be losing your endcaps in the new configuration. That's good, but there are other things to consider. Sight lines, for example. I'm not sure how important they are to your store's employees, but increasing product density and adding toppers might cut them down to the point where you can't tell if a customer is behind there. Of course, this is less of an issue for perimeter displays, but it is an issue to think about for an aisle rack.

Additionally, the toppers could be a potential detriment from a consumer psychology perspective if the rest of your store is otherwise "open" (e.g. if you can see the back of the store from just inside the entrance), which it appears to be from your most recent post. A tall, "cluttered" display can create a claustrophobic effect if it blocks light sources. However, the toppers do provide a cross merchandising opportunity if you tailor the products to be relevant to the comics on each side of the displays, which would require an added weekly effort at minimum for some number of sides on one or more racks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new racks utilize the same A-frames as the old ones so the footprint remains essentially the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The new racks utilize the same A-frames as the old ones so the footprint remains essentially the same.

That would've been my only critique, if you were losing the endcaps. Otherwise looks neat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

That would've been my only critique, if you were losing the endcaps. Otherwise looks neat.

Our endcaps are overflowing which is why we've been looking for a way to expand our shelf space without sacrificing other merchandise. The boss seems to like this new setup so now we just have to find a cheaper source for the grid sections and we're in business.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
drat where is your store at? I want to visit it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's in Indiana.

No you don't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's in Indiana.

No you don't.

You just need to teleport I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well I live in Indiana!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Well I live in Indiana!

Jefferson Point in Fort Wayne if you're ever in town.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'll mark that down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I'll mark that down.

Hopefully the upgrades are finished when you visit. I think it'g going to look amazing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Oh, neato. I was in there about a year ago on my way back to Chicago.

So, do those Funko Pop figurines actually sell? Every place I've been to has a bunch of them, but they never seem to actually move. I know tastes vary from person to person, but I just HATE the way they look. There's something really off-putting and creepy about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In 2013 Funko brought in $28 million from Pops, and they've only gotten bigger from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We sold something like 480 of them in December. They're silly but one of our best money makers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have more Pops that I care to admit. Mostly I see them as less expensive figures of characters I like. A 15 pop vs a 60 Marvel legends Spider-Gwen for example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I only have one but my girlfriend has a bunch of DIsney ones and I just got her the Gilmore Girl ones for Christmas.

The boss found the new parts for our racks on sale so it looks like the renovations are happening soon! I'm so excited!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Apparently a new comic shop opened up that's closer to where I live. I was thinking of checking it out tomorrow, and if it has better deals, and can get me my books more consistently (my current shop is generally pretty decent about it, but I sometimes leave the store and then realize they forgot a couple of things).

My only question about it though, is if I do decide that it would be better for me to go there to buy stuff, would that be seen as kinda lovely by the guys who own the one I usually go to? They're a bunch of nice and friendly people, and I feel bad about even considering dropping them in favor of a different shop. Maybe I'm just being weird though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I expect no loyalty from my customers unless they have a regular pull list. With DCBS in town (not for long though) if you're on a budget it's hard not to go to the place with bigger discounts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I pass two comic shops to get to mine because they are a super nice group of people. Good recommendations and have gotten me some stuff that was hard to find.

I'm a loyal dude like that. I moved out of town when I was done with college and never cancelled my pull list with the shop I went to then. Stopped in a few years later and the guy working remembered me and pulled out 3 years worth of books. Even though it was all doubles of stuff I got at my new shop I was pretty amazed they kept pulling so I spent the hundred or so dollars to settle my debt (which ended up being a nice choice as it netted me doubles of most of the Preacher run)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, that's nice of them but pretty goddamned stupid. You get a month with us. If I notice 4 or more weeks of backlog in you pull slot I immediately pause your preorder and make a note of the date. If 4 more weeks pass and we have not seen or heard from you your box is canceled and your books go back into inventory. It's harsh but we get at least 5 a month who sign up and never come back. I have this one guy who must have brain damage or something because he has started a pull list with us twice and never come in for any books, then he started a new one by sending us a list via FB Messenger but I was wise to his BS by then. He never showed up even once and not even a month ago he asked to start a list again.

TLDR I loving hate managing preorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I do make the switch, I will make sure to notify the one I already go to and pick up any comics that they're ordering purely for me like I did when I cancelled my pull on Bounty.

• Locked thread