Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Rhyno posted:

Jefferson Point in Fort Wayne if you're ever in town.

i will definitely check this out if i end up in fort wayne soon

i have family that lives up there and it'd be sick to see a shop owned by a goon

i'm from around lafayette btw so i'm pretty drat far away normally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't own it, I just work here!

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Rhyno posted:

regardless! still cool stuff. comic book shops are a rarity where i live too. i only know of like, one in lafayette and its a pretty big area

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've been going to my shop for years, but if another shop opened in my area, I'd consider switching in a heartbeat. My local shop has such a hard time doing basic stuff like filling my pulls, it's getting to the point that I feel lucky if I go in on a Wednesday and they have everything on my list. And if they miss a few books and sell out of the shelf stock before I get there, forget about ordering them, because I bet less than 25% of the stuff I try to order from that place actually comes in.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Went to a comic shop about three blocks from my house a week ago to see if they had any Star Wars trades. They didn't. Not because they were sold out, but because they hadn't ordered any to coincide with the release of a Star Wars movie.

I don't understand why so many comic shops don't want money, but three out of five I visit are just like this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Eliminate the owner. Then it shall be yours.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am old enough to remember when you could buy DC and Marvel comics in supermarkets and drug stores, and my mom would rather buy me a comic than a chocolate bar when we went so at first i just got what looked cool, but eventually I'd realize that X-men or Spider-man or Batman were cool and would focus on them. As I grew older i went to one of the two comic stores that were around, one that was run by a douchey guy and the other run by an old guy who was not happy kids would be in the store. So I never enjoyed going to either one. Then a new store opened that was friendly, the owner was friendly and very much encouraged reading more comics. It was great and that store helped cultivate a love of comics that was there, but just needed to be fanned by someone who was actually pleasant to deal with.

It's amazing how much an owner can effect how a store feels. It does amaze me how many comic stores are run by shutins who don't want to deal with people. Like why start a retail store?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

I am old enough to remember when you could buy DC and Marvel comics in supermarkets and drug stores, and my mom would rather buy me a comic than a chocolate bar when we went so at first i just got what looked cool, but eventually I'd realize that X-men or Spider-man or Batman were cool and would focus on them. As I grew older i went to one of the two comic stores that were around, one that was run by a douchey guy and the other run by an old guy who was not happy kids would be in the store. So I never enjoyed going to either one. Then a new store opened that was friendly, the owner was friendly and very much encouraged reading more comics. It was great and that store helped cultivate a love of comics that was there, but just needed to be fanned by someone who was actually pleasant to deal with.

It's amazing how much an owner can effect how a store feels. It does amaze me how many comic stores are run by shutins who don't want to deal with people. Like why start a retail store?

Yup. I remember that, but it was mainly drug stores that my dad bought my new comics at.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah not gonna lie many an hour was spent with my rear end parked in the magazine/comic racks of the grocery store reading sonic books while my parents shopped

Glad i grew outta that one

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

twistedmentat posted:

Aren't you from toronto? The silver snail has been dope for over 30 years

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen that they sell comics at Walmart now, but they're themed packages.

And they're usually up front where the CCG packs and adult aimed toys like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones stuff are.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Turns out that the new comics shop offers a worse discount than the one I usually go to, and there's very little parking and more crowded traffic, and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to get out of. So I guess it's not really worth switching over unless the one I go to already severely fucks up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I think some comic stores are started by people with a little bit of capital whose only idea is "if I start a comic book store I can spend all my time reading comics and also make money" without realizing that owning and running a business actually takes work. Also, leases for business space will sometimes be for over a decade so if they're an old store they're probably paying a lot less per month than a new tenant would. That's what kills a lot of niche businesses, the lease expires and depending on how much gentrification has happened in the area the landlord wants between 2-10x as much to lease the same space.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my CBS often screws up my order or keeps insisting that I want to read Guardians 3000 or something. And every time I think about pulling the pin I go in there have a positive interaction with the people who work there and end up keeping going.

Customer service can't be overstated I feel.

To be fair, sometimes they just miss issues. But sometimes it's no their fault, living internationally means being left at the whims of Diamond. Also not reading a tonne of Marvel/DC can exacerbate the problem.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

trashbuilder posted:

Aren't you from toronto? The silver snail has been dope for over 30 years

I grew up in Halifax, and yea, the Snail's pretty good, also is the Beguiling and others. My LCS is one of the Planet X locations which is good as well.

Skwirl posted:

I think some comic stores are started by people with a little bit of capital whose only idea is "if I start a comic book store I can spend all my time reading comics and also make money" without realizing that owning and running a business actually takes work. Also, leases for business space will sometimes be for over a decade so if they're an old store they're probably paying a lot less per month than a new tenant would. That's what kills a lot of niche businesses, the lease expires and depending on how much gentrification has happened in the area the landlord wants between 2-10x as much to lease the same space.

That's what I figure that the people who started them in the 70s and 80s; "If i start a comic store, I can get my own comics at a discount and read comics all day" not realizing they're going to need to deal with kids, clueless parents, complainy pants adults and others.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry about the shop, Rhyno. How did you keep your cool behind the counter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsUEZ1NG7YU&t=15s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Working in a comic shop requires a higher level of emotional calm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Working in a comic shop requires a higher level of emotional calm.

My brief time working at my LCS, it took a lot patients to deal with pokemon kids, bronies and adults that literally smell like they pooped themselves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

My brief time working at my LCS, it took a lot patients to deal with pokemon kids, bronies and adults that literally smell like they pooped themselves.

I had a mentally handicapped dude poo poo himself and it splattered on the floor once. He was being brought to the mall by his agency caregiver and left to his own devices for 6 hours at a time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I had a mentally handicapped dude poo poo himself and it splattered on the floor once. He was being brought to the mall by his agency caregiver and left to his own devices for 6 hours at a time.

Oh when I worked for Games Workshop in the mall I had to deal with the daycare kids. Yep, drop you kid off and go shopping, because we don't have anything better to do than entertain your child. Lucky we were real good with the mall security (as most of them actually played) and when this happened, we'd inform the parent that we are not a baby sitting service so any child abandoned in the store would be reported as loitering after a half hour and would be turned over to the mall security and they'd be called to the security office. This was an effective deterrent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kids are one thing, this was a grown man.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Packrat_Comics/status/818961318694809600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Is this as big an issue at your shop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It used to be but now I'm a raging rear end in a top hat about delinquent pulls. poo poo I just canceled a former part timers pull list because I realized she hadn't actually been buying her subs, she was just getting one book off the stand when she was in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope that's not all from one person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The worst I have ever let a pull list go was 75 single comics. Hell I give weekly regulars crap if they don't clean out their entire file each visit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you keep pulling books for 3 months?

This seems like a very questionable business practice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would you keep pulling books for 3 months?

I'm sure that's from a bunch of people and the timeframe is just arbitrary.

e: Or it's how many months worth of unpickedup comics it took to get over four digits.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 11, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, yeah rereading it that way makes a bit more sense.

In which case, uhh if 1500$ of saleable merchandise (which is committed to somebody and doesn't take up all that much space) is a significant threat to your business, your business is fuuuucked.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What with the holidays and everything I haven't been to my LCS in weeks and you all got me feeling bad about myself/nervous as heck.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I recently went about a month without picking stuff up from my list because of unemployment/depression, but pretty much all the series I was following had ended so there were only like six books there when I finally went back. They didn't seem to mind, but now I feel bad about not saying anything :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys are jerks and you should feel bad!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pulling 53 comics and go in every week and buy everything, and maybe a few more off the shelf.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I'm pulling 53 comics and go in every week and buy everything, and maybe a few more off the shelf.

You should feel good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm thinking of cancelling everything

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I went from 10 comics a week to now about 5 due to series i was following finishing and nothing has peaked my interest to replace it. I used to go in every week now i go about once every other or every 3 weeks. Am I ruining their business? Also $1500 of un picked up comics seems p good if you have a lot of pulls it looks about 1-2 comics per pull for a month. (if the shop is big or busy) or am i missing something and that was just that week?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do they know you only come in every few weeks?

If it's consistent or you've told them they probably don't mind.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
My guys kinda know I come in sporadically so it's cool. I even asked him once and he said it's no bother.

Plus, I pretty much always buy stuff off the rack as well as my pull and occasionally bring my kids who pick out comics too.so no one is really getting hurt here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you can't make it in at least once a month the shop should have your credit card on file, you should have a mail order set up or you shouldn't have a pull list.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

If you can't make it in at least once a month the shop should have your credit card on file, you should have a mail order set up or you shouldn't have a pull list.

This is how mine works. I'm a decent distance from my comic shop but I continue to go there instead of closer ones because they're rad. They know I come in once a month, I don't have a ton of books so it's not a lot of storage. The few times I've lapsed for more than a month they just run my card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The mall housing one of the country's largest comic shops, right here in Orlando, is closing in two weeks.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-artegon-marketplace-closing-20170112-story.html

The shop, Gods & Monsters, only opened in 2014. They invested a LOT of money in making the place look awesome, bringing in theme park people for design and construction, and it took them a really long time to finally get the place open. They even have a BAR, a video arcade, an art gallery, and of course a whole huge gaming area.

http://www.godmonsters.com/

I feel terrible for them, but the mall has always been doomed. It's on the edge of Orlando's touristy area, but just out of the way enough that it never got the kinds of customers needed to keep it afloat. Locals avoid that part of town whenever possible, and tourists (typically Brazilian tourists in that area) probably didn't provide any repeat business to the shop. There is a nice movie theater, a few anchor stores like Bass Pro Shops, and one of the only remaining Fuddruckers (although it has really gone downhill in recent years). But the mall was almost always empty, and they tried rebranding it a few years ago with small booths and kiosks for local artists and craftspeople -- kind of like a real-world version of Etsy. Needless to say, that didn't work either. The location killed it, and so did the demise of big indoor shopping malls in general.

We're lucky to have a lot of incredible comic shops in this town: the Coliseum of Comics chain, Acme Superstore, A Comic Shop. I live and/or work near a few of those, but I just don't buy stuff often enough to become a regular at any of them, so I usually just hit them up for sales, or the rare times something I really want comes out. And even with all the friendly competition, if Gods & Monsters opened almost anywhere else, it could have been a local phenomenon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2017

• Locked thread