Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I am old enough to remember when you could buy DC and Marvel comics in supermarkets and drug stores, and my mom would rather buy me a comic than a chocolate bar when we went so at first i just got what looked cool, but eventually I'd realize that X-men or Spider-man or Batman were cool and would focus on them. As I grew older i went to one of the two comic stores that were around, one that was run by a douchey guy and the other run by an old guy who was not happy kids would be in the store. So I never enjoyed going to either one. Then a new store opened that was friendly, the owner was friendly and very much encouraged reading more comics. It was great and that store helped cultivate a love of comics that was there, but just needed to be fanned by someone who was actually pleasant to deal with.

It's amazing how much an owner can effect how a store feels. It does amaze me how many comic stores are run by shutins who don't want to deal with people. Like why start a retail store?

I think some comic stores are started by people with a little bit of capital whose only idea is "if I start a comic book store I can spend all my time reading comics and also make money" without realizing that owning and running a business actually takes work. Also, leases for business space will sometimes be for over a decade so if they're an old store they're probably paying a lot less per month than a new tenant would. That's what kills a lot of niche businesses, the lease expires and depending on how much gentrification has happened in the area the landlord wants between 2-10x as much to lease the same space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Have I mentioned how much Indiana sucks?

Pride Month Walking Dead variants. I caught him as he was unbagging a third copy. I called the police on my phone as I followed him out of the store, they arrived before he could get to his car. They said he could pay for the damage or they'd write him a $200 vandalism ticket. He's also banned from the property for life.

That sucks, but it also seems weird to me for The Walking Dead of all comics to have a Pride month alternative cover. Maybe it's changed, but I quit reading after the first trade or two partially because of how annoyingly heternormative it was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't the bigger story the fact that Rhyno thinks frosted mini wheats are a part of lunch?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

IT'S AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF FIBER

Yeah, if you're a small child following around your parents in a comic book shop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When I was a kid in the 90's my dad would buy 2 copies of every comic I read, one for me to read and one to sell later and fund my college tuition. This was the 90's comic boom so obviously none of it is worth anything, though it's loving hilarious to me that my parents likely have most of a complete run of the Spider-Man clone saga bagged in mint condition in their storage unit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Luckily my dad never bought into the hype. All my "might be worth something" comics are 12 centers he bought from flea markets.

There's actually some decent stories inside the clone saga, and it meant my dad was buying me all the comics I wanted so I'm not complaining. The double buying adds up to a few hundred bucks over several years, so in terms of dumb investments it's not that bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That GL/GA is totally MINE.

That's the one I wanted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We bought yet another collection yesterday.

A BSS favorite was in it

Trigger warning this poo poo

quote:

And this amazing, very high grade book of some significance as well

We've also started to expand our buying to included statues and figures,, business is booming and we're responding in kind.

This is cool though. How much?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Our Marvel sale are in the shitter. DC is steady. Everything else is up and down month o month. Vintage is exploding.

Luke Cage is in might fine shape so we priced it at $300.

Oof, can't afford that. If it doesn't sell in the next couple months I'll pay $100.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've never noticed a comic book shop being closed on Tuesdays, but I also don't make a habit of going on Tuesdays for the very obvious reason.

Weirdly, Bike shops in my area tend to be closed on Tuesdays, but I only know that because my wheels got stolen on a Monday night once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Surely this thread should put you off working in a comic book shop though.

That's every single industry thread, it's way more interesting to talk about horrible poo poo that happened to you than the day where everything went fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Dumb newbie question time. What is the appeal for a customer to set up a pull list, rather than getting a subscription? Or just buying the books you want off the racks? Is it so you can be sure to get a copy of the next big thing? The only shop I have been to seems to have quite a few copies of most(every?) book being run by Marvel, and multiple back issues going back about 6 or 7 months. Twice now, I have been able to buy all the issues for books I enjoy to catch up from where marvel unlimited leaves off. Is this not normal??

Smaller stores won't always be able to order enough of everything, increased pre-orders help smaller books. If your pull list is just Spider-Man and Batman it's relatively pointless, but if you've got some indie books you're following it can be helpful to guarantee a copy, especially if it's release schedule is a little uneven and you don't go to the comic store every week. Some places offer a small discount or free bag and board for your pull list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I try and keep my floppies in good condition so I can give them to kids eventually. If you got a younger cousin, nephew or niece, it's a pretty good prank on their parents to just drop off an entire long box of comics and say "hey you wanted them to read more, right? unplug a little?

• Locked thread