Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dunbar posted:

I know some comic shop employees post in here, so I'm curious, is there such a thing as a shop/service that will take requests for back issues? For example, if I'm looking for a specific issue or run, is there a way someone could track it down and send to me, and bill me for their costs in buying/shipping? I've mentioned this to my LCS and they've said they're willing to keep an eye out in case the issues come into their shop, but I live in a small town and that really isn't likely. And I don't want to bother getting scammed on eBay or wherever else.

Rhyno would probably do it. I could possibly look into it at my shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Onmi posted:

Beyond it being an incredibly lovely business practice to essentially make the company look better than it is? a lot of the times they don't sell, they're just chaff. The other issue is that by overshipping books to prop up numbers, Marvel isn't letting the public decide which books it actually likes, which ones it doesn't, and what the fans want.

If you overship a book that everyone is going to buy, then that's one thing. If you're going to overship Mosaic #2, then you're going to have 50 issues of toilet paper.

They sell. We sell them for a dollar, and it gets people to check out a book they don't normally buy. That new issue of Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty cool too.

Or the books get donated.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Luckily my dad never bought into the hype. All my "might be worth something" comics are 12 centers he bought from flea markets.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Pretty much. I try to flip through every single book so I don't miss a key/valuable issue. We'll grade and price the "good" stuff and then make a combined offer on all of it. We try to make as good of an offer as possible as we want the seller to feel good about letting the books go.

Same around here. Nobody's trying to get rich off of other people's books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's always been Mondays off here.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Here's a good comic shop story.

Today I was loitering at the shop, and the only other customers were a family with three kids. They grab every Scrooge McDuck book we have, a Gotham Adventures trade, and a Harley Quinn figure for dad. Dad is quiet, kids are well behaved, and the wife is super friendly. While ringing up the Gotham Adventures trade she mentions her husband has a story in it. My buddy goes "Yeah? Who is he?". She points at the name "Paul Dini." We play it cool, but my brain is geeking out.

His wife is from the neighborhood, and they were in town for thanksgiving. Paul drew a Harley on a sketch cover, and his wife needled him about buying a Harley figure. "They send you four of everything." "Not this one.."

What a great day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have no clue about the autobiography, but we were woefully unprepared. His wife volunteered to have him sign all the Harley stuff, but we told them the sketch was more than enough.

The owner of the shop literally walked past them on his way in while they were leaving. At least he finally has another book for his wall of fame next to the Mighty Avengers variant Eminem signed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Are comics retailers expected to constantly be on guard in case a comics notable walks in?

Nah. We're a couple miles out of Detroit. We only got Eminem because his friend works there, and ICP and Twiztid used to record around here. Mrs Dini came in once at the old location to buy a bunch of Jingle Belle books like ten years ago. Ryan Stegman stopped in once. He went to the local community college.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I was on your side until you said bro.

You get some weird folks that come in trying to sell their books. Lot of older ladies, that you have to politely tell their kid's collection from the nineties isn't worth anything, but there's some real assholes out there that convinced themselves they've got some valuable stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My shop doesn't carry funkos because there's not much profit in them unless you jack up the prices.

Gonna get my fill of selling funkos if I start doing cons for GalacticToys. I miss tabling at cons, it's always a good time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Speaking of Saga pops. There's supposed to be a bloody lying cat available on Free Comic Book Day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I really want the Zur En Arrh Batman pop, but it's way too expensive for my blood. Same for Daniel Bryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've been trying to find a Gizmoduck for my friend.

Another friend has over twenty different Wonder Woman's, including the invisible jet I got her. Star Sapphire WW, and the Raven imposter are like the only major ones left.

• Locked thread