Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Well, it's not like they're moving it out just for pokemon, it was just a joke between us that the new comics rack would be removed to make space for Pokemon, as that's what's hot right now.

But they're still selling trades, back issues, classic comics, action figures, statues, pops, rpgs, art books, all the normal stuff, just that the new floppies are taking up too much space in proportion to their sales, as most of new comic sales are from people with memberships already.

Wait, they're keeping back issues but dumping new issues? Uhhh

I don't know what the margins are on new comics but that seems like a really strange / bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the current back issues they have, they're not going to throw them out or something. Basically the majority of people who buy new comics get them as part of a membership, and she's constantly stuck with 17 copies of Rebirth Blue Beetle or NOW Foolkiller, and it's a waste of money. note: Those are not real numbers, just meaning she has tons of extra books that don't sell and take up space.

So new comics won't be dropped, just they will be ordered to fill memberships and nothing else.

I mean, that's fine, but it's not a sustainable business model if the business model involves selling comic books. (there is perhaps a larger question about business model here, though the stores in my city seem to do pretty well)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Books in Canada cost a lot, and the store sells lots of other stuff besides comics, where new comics are not a big seller so they don't deserve a giant space in the front of the store. As I said, if you want new comics you get a membership which nets you a discount and some other benefits. Trades do really well there, so their space is justified, as do action figures/statues.

Again I stress, they're not getting rid of comic sales, they're just not going to order beyond what they need to fill memberships with some exceptions.

I'm in Canada, I know how expensive they are. If I can't browse new titles I'm not going to add new titles to my pull list - I make that decision on the day I go to the shop to pick up my comics. If they didn't sell new titles in the first place I would never have set up a pull list. If my main interest was comics I would find a new store. That would have a knock-on effect on my purchases of trades and maybe even board games, if the new store sold those too.

If you can't get new customers you can't maintain a business. (that's not to say they should be selling comics, maybe they should be selling other things instead)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you keep pulling books for 3 months?

This seems like a very questionable business practice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, yeah rereading it that way makes a bit more sense.

In which case, uhh if 1500$ of saleable merchandise (which is committed to somebody and doesn't take up all that much space) is a significant threat to your business, your business is fuuuucked.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool going through this guy's timeline, but I've got to ask - is it normal for comic stores to celebrate selling out 100% of a comic within the first week? That seems like a mistake - if you sell out 100% you're almost certainly leaving money on the table and encouraging customers who didn't pre-order / missed going into the shop for a few days to shop elsewhere.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't order to sell out, so that means sales are up and ordering more next time.

He sold out of 9 out of 26 comics. The week before was 5/28 which seems like a more reasonable number though still fairly high for week 1 sellouts.

It's cool that they order more of the next issue, but that doesn't change the fact that to buy this issue the potential customer needs to go elsewhere.

e: I understand that you're going to sell out of stuff. It just doesn't seem like something to celebrate, it seems like a problem with how you estimated your order quantity.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And they're free? (minus carrying costs I guess)

Uhhhhhhh. Comics sure is a weird business.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's wild. I know retail has weird little niches but comics is weird as hell.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would stores possibly complain about this practice?

You're getting free stuff that you can give away as promotional material or sell for essentially pure profit. What's the big deal?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure marvel actually knows how many of their books are being given away for free even if Diamond doesn't and tha information is part of what drives their decisions to keep or cancel books.

On the other hand this is an industry where retailers make a fuss when they get free product so who knows.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Returnability is different from giving away copies though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Half of the 55 box collection was unbagged. It was horrible.

Could be worse. I got a free collection from an uncle that was bagged with dirty decades old bags.

He had cats.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Old Man Pants posted:

WTF? Your manager literally told you that hurting the stores bottom line is cool? I literally can't even. I'm a bartender by trade and that's like my manager telling me buy a bunch of shots when it's happy hour and resell them when it's not! What the gently caress

Edit: your manager is stealing from the store.

If they're ordering extra copies so that the employees can do this it's not really stealing from the store. It's offloading risk on to the employees. It's definitely a lovely practice though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Nah, I hate dealing with pull lists. For the people who can only make it in once a month it is very useful. Most retailers would do away with them given the chance but the industry has beaten this YOU MUST PREORDER nonsense into the consumers head.

This makes no sense to me. Please explain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Which part?

We base our sales on what has sold previously. For new books we make educated guesses on how much to order.

As for why I don't like dealing with them, you tend to get a few weirdos who get upset when you don't pull a copy of Everyman #438 because Nobodyman made a guest appearance AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT.

I don’t understand why you would want to give up the guaranteed sales and the additional knowledge your pull lists give you. Those weirdos are going to shop at your store and be weirdos anyway. Without a pull list they’d just be mad at you for something else.

Like most businesses would love to have customers so bought in to the pre-order model.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every other industry tries to have preorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

No other industry functions in this manner. When a video game sells out it's not like there's never going to be another copy pressed. If we didn't have to worry about order thresholds, sales gimmicks and products being unavailable before they even hit the stands this industry would be much stronger.

Edit: I am talking about the system of preordering product, not pull lists.

This stuff is all present in other niche retailers too, comics aren't unique in that regard. I agree the preorder system is pretty lovely for the retailers though. The gimmick stuff in particular (but there is a solution to gimmicks like "order 100 to get 1 variant": just don't buy it).

Your posts a couple weeks ago were complaining about pull lists though, not preorders. I let it go but I truly do not understand why a store would not want customer preorders.

• Locked thread