Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The comic shop I sometimes went to [like, every few months] recently went under, due to a comic + game + brewery shop that opened up a little bit away. I haven't gone yet, but they apparently make their own beer and host D&D games and stuff and really despite having comics everything seems to be more game related.

So my question is: what are the like, the ratio of profit on like, TCGs vs Comics vs D&D style games?

Like does Magic earn 3x the money actual comics do? Because they push Magic hard. All their advertisements but one on their windows are for Magic [the other advertises Pathfinder, because they're host Pathfinder Society games]. They have a single cardboard foldout Captain America in the store as a 'hey we have comics' thing.

I mean, their selection is as good as the other place was, and they still have all the toys and statues and stuff people collect, but the whole angle of 'lets not advertise that we have comics at all' thing just weirds me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So this is a sad little post - the comic shop I liked, not the one with alcohol and games more than comics - shut down this week. I don't have a pull list or anything so I didn't even know until I was up near it today shopping, and decided to go check out if I wanted anything, and there was a sign on the door saying it would be closed indefinitely, as of 6/2/16.

:(

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh hey, so I talked in here about how the local comic shop closed down like 4 months ago. Well, I found another one sorta nearby in the next town [but like, literally a 5 minute drive from where my town becomes that town] and... it's a mix of amazing and terrible.

First of all, it's huge - like, three times the size of the comic shop that closed down. Their comics section is about the size of the other comic shop's entire store [which had comics, card games, board games, figurines, and toys]. They even have a little sitting area and coffee shop kinda like the Starbucks inside a barnes and noble, and give discounts on the coffee/tea if you bought some comics.

It's also like, 100% clean. Every surface looks like it is polished daily, there are no stains on the floor, it's all very well lit and super nice.

The terrible part though - the staff is a bunch of neckbeard weirdos who got in a verbal argument with someone who mentioned Marvel Unlimited in the store (another customer wanted to know how they could get back issues of the Secret Wars event), and told them that [basically] Marvel is ruining comics by favoring digital platforms, and is the reason comic shops are dying and that Disney is intentionally killing the hobby by ruining comic shop sales and that he should FEEL BAD for stealing money from the honest comic shops that need it by using marvel unlimited.

He had literally just got done telling the same customer asking for back issues that the shop had no way to get them for him.

I feel like it's stuff like this that pushes me towards digital only, because dealing with comic shop workers is always weird. We have no chill ones out here, you'd think all of them would be stoned out of their goddamn gourds .

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rhyno posted:

In shop news, the boss crunched the numbers today and the store is up 25% for comics, trades and toys overall. Marvel sales are down 30% while DC sales are up 100%.

100%. DC has doubled in sales for us. And that's not just the first few Rebirth issues spike, that is where sales have settled after 6 months of Rebirth.

I made pretty good friends with the owner of the 'local' [aka next town over, because all the ones in town closed down] comic shop, and we were talking business two nights ago during their weekly MtG tournament [I was there to watch a friend play]. Apparently all his marvel stuff is dropping, and besides superman and batman, all his DC stuff is as well.

Amusingly, his biggest seller in the last two weeks had been the new Steven Universe comic, to which he commented that "It brought a lot of new faces in... I just wish they looked at more than a single comic."

Kinda sad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rhyno posted:

That's kind of insane as I don't think any SU comic has ever cracked the top 100. For local perspective, we sell maybe four copies of any Steven Universe comic. It doesn't even sell as well as my worst selling DC or Marvel book.

I mean, I don't know where you live, but the shop I go to is within 30 miles of two state universities, a block away from a community college, and the entire area is very much hipster college age person. Every time I've gone into the shop it's been mostly 18-24 year old people buying.

It probably just has to do with the demographics of the areas.

• Locked thread