Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

Card games are major money but the profit margins are much smaller. For comics we pay roughly 1/3 of the retail price for singles. MTG on average we pay 2/3 of the retail price for booster boxes. Board games we pay closer to 50% of srp.

Now that said, our store does mad sales in MTG. Fridays when we run events it's not unusual for MTG to account for 1/4 of our sales for the day and all of that is usually done in 2-3 hours. Yugioh, Pokemon, Vanguard and Force of Will have a combined sales total that comes to roughly the same as MTG.

Does selling card singles help make up the difference in the higher wholesale prices of Magic product (if you sell singles, that is) Also, do you carry other sealed product like the Commander precons? I've noticed a very small number of shops that carry Magic don't deal in singles, and only carry booster packs and boxes. Mostly they seem to be stores that are more focused on comics. They don't hold events either.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Squizzle posted:

Related question, what would you say is the most useful stat for a comic book shop guy: Strength, Intelligence, Energy Projection, Mental Powers, Fighting Ability, or Speed?

According to his wikia entry, Rick Jones' highest stat is Fighting Ability, at 4. Since Rick worked in his wife Marlo's comic shop, there you go. Marlo unfortunately has no stat array.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

It was weird as I was in one of the big stores in Toronto and saw they had the newest 3.5" Marvel figures, and almost bought the Captain Marvel one but decided against it because I could just get it when we got it in and I could get my discount. When I asked the manager, she told me that the orders for that set were canceled and Diamond now has the set TBA. So I'm left to wonder where the other store got theirs.

Alliance Game Distributors handles toys and collectibles as well, I believe. It might have been from them. Which store was it by the way?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Diamond owns Alliance. They do carry some items but they don't keep the same selection in their warehouses that Diamond does. The Alliance hub is 6 miles from our store.

Hmm, for some reason I thought they were a separate company. Jesus Diamond really does have a monopoly. They control the bulk of elfgame distribution too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno since your store does gaming, did you do Free RPG Day?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I read on the can all the time but somehow, through sheer skill I guess, I manage not to piss all over my books. Hopefully it was just some joker trying to unload garbage his cat peed on.

Rhyno posted:

We signed up but there were some issues on the supplier end.

I've heard they don't quite have their poo poo together as much as FCBD, which makes sense seeing as how they're both newer and don't have as much money behind them. The store I went to was doing it and had a blanket 15% off RPG materials, and from what I could tell they were selling bucketfuls of dice, and the FFG Star Wars RPGs were flying off the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Are comics retailers expected to constantly be on guard in case a comics notable walks in?

• Locked thread