Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

twistedmentat posted:

The Snail of course.

Silver Snail has a bunch of special contracts with distributors, I don't know the ins and outs of it.

What's weird is 1 million comix up the street has 3 rooms the biggest one holds comics and if you talk to to the owners they say the things they sell the most of without question is t-shirts and MTG and comics is a distant 3rd even though they have something 200 active pull lists. They say they are always at the whim of Diamond unlike silver snail that has a bunch of direct stuff and I would be willing to bet 1 million comix does more business. Does anyone know what goes into getting direct contracts?

That was my highly specialized knowledge of comic book stores in toronto. If anyone wants to know what my thoughts are on the difference between page and panel and the beguiling I can get into it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

I heard, have never tried it tho, that if you run a hair dryer on hot over each page of the book it should remove the smell. It will wrinkle the pages but they will return to normal eventually

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am old enough to remember when you could buy DC and Marvel comics in supermarkets and drug stores, and my mom would rather buy me a comic than a chocolate bar when we went so at first i just got what looked cool, but eventually I'd realize that X-men or Spider-man or Batman were cool and would focus on them. As I grew older i went to one of the two comic stores that were around, one that was run by a douchey guy and the other run by an old guy who was not happy kids would be in the store. So I never enjoyed going to either one. Then a new store opened that was friendly, the owner was friendly and very much encouraged reading more comics. It was great and that store helped cultivate a love of comics that was there, but just needed to be fanned by someone who was actually pleasant to deal with.

It's amazing how much an owner can effect how a store feels. It does amaze me how many comic stores are run by shutins who don't want to deal with people. Like why start a retail store?

Aren't you from toronto? The silver snail has been dope for over 30 years

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

I went from 10 comics a week to now about 5 due to series i was following finishing and nothing has peaked my interest to replace it. I used to go in every week now i go about once every other or every 3 weeks. Am I ruining their business? Also $1500 of un picked up comics seems p good if you have a lot of pulls it looks about 1-2 comics per pull for a month. (if the shop is big or busy) or am i missing something and that was just that week?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

My LCS is picking up customers from one that closed downtown and apparently many of them expect the same deals. Problem is, those deals that they were getting was probably the reason the other store went under. Apparently they were doing things like charging regulars just above cost for Statues, which is kind of insane.

One Million was competing with Silver Snail, and they closed down because their store was being turned into condos (hell yeah toronto, keep loving up that downtown)

Silver Snail still does US cover price for pull list, so i moved down there.

(i believe you mentioned you were from toronto but i could be wrong)

• Locked thread