Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty sure they're talking about people who wwren't going to buy anything in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Apparently a new comic shop opened up that's closer to where I live. I was thinking of checking it out tomorrow, and if it has better deals, and can get me my books more consistently (my current shop is generally pretty decent about it, but I sometimes leave the store and then realize they forgot a couple of things).

My only question about it though, is if I do decide that it would be better for me to go there to buy stuff, would that be seen as kinda lovely by the guys who own the one I usually go to? They're a bunch of nice and friendly people, and I feel bad about even considering dropping them in favor of a different shop. Maybe I'm just being weird though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I do make the switch, I will make sure to notify the one I already go to and pick up any comics that they're ordering purely for me like I did when I cancelled my pull on Bounty.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Turns out that the new comics shop offers a worse discount than the one I usually go to, and there's very little parking and more crowded traffic, and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to get out of. So I guess it's not really worth switching over unless the one I go to already severely fucks up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope that's not all from one person.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pulling 53 comics and go in every week and buy everything, and maybe a few more off the shelf.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I should ask the shop I go to what has been selling since Rebirth started.

Going by the new releases shelf they have each week, they tend to have a pretty even selection of Marvel/DC stuff, quite a bit of Image, some Boom, Darkhorse, and IDW books, and I recall they mentioned having a really good relationship with Valiant so they get a lot of those as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't the last Titans series that awful Winnick one?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I grabbed I Hate Image, 2000 AD, and Wonder Woman.

Picked up Batman/The Shadow #1, Swordquest, Southern Bastards #13 and 14, Power Rangers: Pink #1, Eternal Warrior by Greg Pak #1 and 2, and Faith #1 on sale.

They also had some artists drawing characters for people for free, so of course I got my fav

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How much of a loser do you have to be to go destroy some comic books?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Have there been any surprise hits lately?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I went to a comic shop on Tuesday once and just saw all the new comics for the next day being sorted on some tables. They weren't selling them of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Dumb newbie question time. What is the appeal for a customer to set up a pull list, rather than getting a subscription? Or just buying the books you want off the racks? Is it so you can be sure to get a copy of the next big thing? The only shop I have been to seems to have quite a few copies of most(every?) book being run by Marvel, and multiple back issues going back about 6 or 7 months. Twice now, I have been able to buy all the issues for books I enjoy to catch up from where marvel unlimited leaves off. Is this not normal??

I'm the crazy guy with more than 100 series on my pull list atm.

I get a 25% discount on everything in the store, which helps a lot.
Guaranteed copies of lower selling books. Many shops will only order enough for the people who have it on their pull list if it's not selling. For instance, I was the only person pulling Bounty last year at my shop, and there was only one other person with Vision on their list
First access to variants. Not a huge deal, but sometimes there will be a variant by an artist I really like, so it's nice to have the option.

It's not the biggest incentive ever. I mean, even with that discount, I'd be better off just waiting for sales on comixology, but I do like it enough to keep at it. It ultimately comes down to whether or not you care about keeping up with the latest stuff.

• Locked thread