Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

How often does that happen? I imagine selling non-graded comics is a major dice roll on eBay.

Third time ever that I am aware of. I've sold hundreds of my personal collection on Ebay and have on;y ever had one issue and I'm pretty sure he was conning me. In this case we got $30 for the book. Now you can get it for $2 again so he's disputing the $30 and the shipping. He only has a feedback of 17 and we have close to 2000 so I think we'll win this one. If we don't I'll mail him a box of dog poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had someone scam me on a Young Justice Superboy statue like 14 years ago. I sold them mine, they said it arrived broken and demanded a return and I finally caved in because they somehow tracked down my work phone number and started harassing me there. Got it back and they had swapped one out because it wasn't the same number as the one I'd sent.

Ebay did nothing. I was out the statue and roughly $40 in shipping. I really wish the "bag of dicks" service existed back then. I was in such a bad mental state that summer if I hadn't been so broke I'd have driven to them and burned their house down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've had worse experiences on Amazon than I have Ebay. I had a dozen claims of never receiving the item and then negative feedback on top of that. The last item I sold was a brand new, MOC Transformer and the guy claimed it was open and I had repaired the package with scotch tape. Once someone left me negative feedback for a book but their feedback said "gum in the hair." Even after I cleared it up he wouldn't remove it because he said I harassed him about it too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Hah, ironically I just bought a Skywarp "MOC" that came scotch taped shut. I was annoyed but I was opening it anyway so I didn't bother.

You jerk!

So let's talk about the Amazon Marketplace for a moment. My store has been using it as a way to move dormant inventory for several years. About three years ago we discovered Fulfillment By Amazon, where you prep and pack your items in bulk, ship them to an Amazon warehouse and they sell and ship it for you. There's higher fees but the man hours it has saved us are countless. I no longer have to spend multiple hours packing items a week and then making PO drops and since FBA uses UPS we don't have to do anything other than tape the boxes shut and poo poo that poo poo out. We make several thousand dollars a month on Amazon this way and it allows up to keep our shelves clear of clutter and constantly move new merchandise into the store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling Amazon Marketplace is great for businesses, but terrible for individual selling. There was a sweet spot a few years ago where I made some great money selling old video games, DVDs and textbooks, but now it's just not cost effective to sell much of anything.

I had the same experience with personal selling. I made a LOT of money in 2011-12 but now there's probably 10 times as many people using it and some people are happy to make 30 cents on something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh absolutely. Prime makes selling even easier. The fees are slightly higher but again, the man hours saved make it worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CW is selling very well for us, we've moved 40+ copies of #1. Every Rebirth book has sold out so far, did you say your shop is charging $10 for the variants? gently caress those guys, it was a 50/50 variant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Only the Rebirth 0 variant was 10bux, the rest are cover price.

The Midnight variants were loving free. Those guys are asshats!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the deodorizing of the Preacher comics was a failure. I kept the first three in airtight bins with a dozen dryer sheets in each one and I can still smell the smokey odor. currently exploring other options.

On the plus side, upon examining the entire run more closely, it looks like he learned what scotch tape was with issue #17 because those are all tightly sealed and have no smoke smells other then the bags.

If all efforts fail I do have a guy interested who has agreed to take them off our hands for the cost we purchased them so it won't be a loss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Would an ozone generator work to take the stink out of them? Worked out great for my car where the PO smoked like crazy.

I plan to try that as well, I hit up my buddy to borrow his machine. I'm not going to put a ton more effort into this though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have dryer sheets in between pages now. Giving it a final effort before I dump them for cost.

In awesomer news, Brian Posehn is doing a signing at my store this Thursday at 5 and I am loving PUMPED.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well Posehn's PR people suck at their jobs and didn't book him an early enough flight so he missed the event today.

AND one of my longtime customers died of cancer so this day is terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some ideas. Comic book dividers suck. They're thin and flimsy and the tab breaks off easily, especially when used to organize back issues that are frequently sifted through. I'm looking for an alternative. I was thinking maybe some sort of acrylic, or maybe some cheap plywood. I just need something that will actually hold up over time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Rhyno since your store does gaming, did you do Free RPG Day?

We signed up but there were some issues on the supplier end.

Squizzle posted:

Search wire shelf divider on Amazon, and see if any of those look needs-suiting.

I'll give it a look, thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A gentleman just brought in some comics to sell and after some scrutiny I discovered some liquid damage. I continued to examine the books when the odor reached my nose ad I realized that the liquid was URINE.

That's a new one for me. If you need me I will be furiously washing my hands.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Don't worry, it's probably not human.

Never underestimate what people are capable of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rebirth is such a hit at our store that I spent several hours today modifying our display racks in an attempt to fit more books without sacrificing the full view of each cover. And then I ran out of raw materials to continue the expansion. Curse you DC for making books people actually want to buy!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been doing this for a while and I have seen some weird poo poo. This was a new one for me.

I bought this small collection of books and the box was heavy as hell. I did the full tear down so I could properly bag and board all these books and discovered why the box was so heavy. This is what they used for backboards.

They appear to be some sort of laminate counter samples. I don't know if they cut them down to comic book size or if they just happened to fit into silver age bags. Maybe they just had the material laying around and backers were in short supply? Whatever the story, it's weird as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

Rhyno, how would your store have coped if it faced the up to 25% price increase that UK comic book stores have had to deal with?

We'd be pissed but we'd figure it out. Stricter ordering, more reliance on non comic products. Two years ago out DC sales were plummeting so we were looking for options to replace the DC revenue. We decided to go forward with much of that in the last year which has ead to a massive boom in sales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nystral posted:

How does this compare to the N52 boom? How long did that last? I know I personally went all in on N52 but have been very reserved with Rebirth titles

The N52 boom got a flat tire for us very quickly. By the 6th issues we were back to the same sales levels were were before N52 aside from JL and Batman. Rebirth is stil selling out. poo poo we've sold like 40 copies of each copy of Red Hood #1 so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's my day off but I just got a call that a customer came in and bought one of every DC Rebirth book we had in stock, including every print and every variant cover. This is probably the 10th time this has happened. DCR is selling so well we can't find the floor, we have to keep ordering crazy numbers just to be safe. Thank god for the returnability!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For perspective.

We were down to selling 12 copies of New Suicide Squad prior to Rebirth and 20-24 copies of Harley Quinn as of #29. By yesterday we'd sold 65 copies of SS Rebirth #1 and 89 copies of HQ #1. We ordered 200 copies of SSR #1 and #250 copies of HQ#1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Man Pants posted:

As far as clothing goes, when you order, is it just one of each size? I swear my local shop only carries large and extra large of anything.

Well we recently got out of t-shirts because of the need to have so much stock and not being able to anticipate which sizes will actually sell. There's no default size that will be a universal seller. At the same time we've found great success with comic book themed hats, backpacks, wallets and lanyards.

Endless Mike posted:

They know their market.

The XXXL guys are too discerning to buy a lowly comic book t-shirt. Anime "club" shirts are making a comeback.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

What's an anime club shirt?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diamond just put up the authorized return list for the first month of DC Rebirth. My store has FOUR books left that qualify out of several thousand issues. Aside from Dennis Barger and his lies the rumbles around the retail industry is that this is the norm and Rebirth is now officially a monster hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kizudarake posted:

Building on a throwaway post you made in a different thread, tell us about the pedo card sting op.

Haha, I will write up the details on my lunch break.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I didn't forget about this but it dawned on me that Operation Pokemon Pedophile is an ongoing thing and I still have yet to go testify in court I don't think I can give too much detail.

Basically they set up a hidden camera and we would turn it on when the creeps in question would show up and they could monitor their interactions with the children during open Pokemon play on Saturdays. The police saw enough to detain two individuals, one of which was indeed a sex offender, the other is the one I will eventually have to go to court and throw under a bus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

Weird question, but could anyone here who works at a shop possibly check and see if The Valiant TPB (the 4 issue mini chiefly written by Lemire) is available for order through Diamond? I've been slowly going through reading all of the Valiant back catalogue and for some reason my store says they can't get this one in. They're sometimes weird about ordering stuff, though, and I see it available various places online.

They might not be finding the correct results. Have them key in this code: MAR151614. That will bring up the Valiant softcover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KittyEmpress posted:

I feel like it's stuff like this that pushes me towards digital only, because dealing with comic shop workers is always weird. We have no chill ones out here, you'd think all of them would be stoned out of their goddamn gourds .

We're all terrible. But lots of people see to like me as I keep getting invited to be on convention panels and podcasts and stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

When I sold music, people would openly say they were going to download the albums and movies we sold. But that was literally talking about stealing stuff, rather than legal downloading and streaming.

We have a few guys like that. "Oh I'll just download it." At least one of them was arrested for shoplifting elsewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

We took away our listening stations that any CD could be listened to (we kept the ones that were locked into specific cds) because people were literally listening to cds to see if they were worth downloading. What the hell?

I mean that's like walking into a store and picking up a trade and stating you're just going to sit down and read it rather than buying it.

I have an epidemic of people who just sit on the floor and read stuff. When I shoo them away they say they'll just go rad it at B&N. Fuckers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We put our back issues at the very back of the store. I think we have a pretty good display but they go in the back where that poo poo belongs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the sexual Shiite posted:

Does Black Friday affect your sales at all? What kind of deals seem to work best?

We usually pick a few "door busters" but they almost never work out. Last year all our BF sales were just normal merchandise, it's become clear to us that it's pointless to offer a specific trade of figure for a deep discount because everyone wants something different.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

What else are they selling that they can just drop new issues?

Good question. Pokemon cards might be gold right now but that poo poo will flop out hard in less than a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All DC Rebirth books have been 100% returnable so that is not a valid excuse really.

Our single issue sales have almost doubled in the last few years. The secret of our success?

Fire anyone creepy and staff the store with normal people who can look a woman in the eyes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have one ultra nerdy dude, one guy in his 40s who is really great with children, the rear end in a top hat (me) and one dude who is getting close to being canned because he's just too loving weird.

Also comic margins are not bad even after shipping. It's not hard to track sales trends to find out what is selling and what is not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I mean the guy works with Rhyno and still stands out as weird. Gotta be up there.

Hey!

I'm COOL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

There are 2 staff and both are women in their 20s.

Clearly they need to hire some creeps and fire them.

I've had the sex!

With ladies even!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All initially ordered Rebirth books (and Young Animal) are fully returnable through issue 6. The only copies that are not returnable are reorders. I checked, this was for Canadian retailers as well. So possibly they ordered very low initial numbers, placed large reorders that then didn't sell? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Over the weekend someone found a copy of Marvel Super Heroes #8 in our $1 back issue bins. I am told he did a mocking "gently caress you" happy dance to my coworker who rang him up and bragged that it's worth hundreds of dollars. For those who are unaware the book is the first appearance of Squirrel Girl.

Well joke was on him, three pages of that story were ripped out of the book, that's why it was in the $1 bins. So he comes in today and he's loving PISSED and is making accusations that we ripped him off. And not only does he want his money back, he wants to be compensated for the loss he's going to take as he claims he already had it sold for a large sum before he inspected the book.

Y'all can guess how I dealt with that.

• Locked thread