Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I hear "I wish comic shops would just sell comics" so much,
I've never heard this and beyond hypernerds who want them to remain the boy's club I can't imagine who-

Oh yeah, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I plan to try that as well, I hit up my buddy to borrow his machine. I'm not going to put a ton more effort into this though.

You may want to find a way to shim the pages open, if possible, since they probably absorbed a lot of the smell.

Speaking of smoking, I was hanging out at a neighborhood bar yesterday and there was a guy there who has a reputation for reeking of cigarettes at all time and having a BAC of 0.15 minimum at all times. Anyway, he was sitting two seats away from me and I think I was actually having an allergic reaction to him - I was getting stuffy, sneezing a bunch, and my eyes were burning. It was distressing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get him to sign your moobs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Old Man Pants posted:

As far as clothing goes, when you order, is it just one of each size? I swear my local shop only carries large and extra large of anything.

They know their market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The XXXL guys are too discerning to buy a lowly comic book t-shirt. Anime "club" shirts are making a comeback.
Finally!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds to me like you're not going to have a comic shop much longer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

All DC Rebirth books have been 100% returnable so that is not a valid excuse really.

Our single issue sales have almost doubled in the last few years. The secret of our success?

Fire anyone creepy and staff the store with normal people who can look a woman in the eyes.

I guess you're lucky you're on the decision committee!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, man, a comic shop that doesn't sell comics doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's gonna last very long!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's in Indiana.

No you don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like, half of those boil down to "you should be able to read people's minds AND tell the future!" The other half are "you should be inclusive and actively work to prevent harassment" which is cool and attainable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know how you make a gay pride cover for a zombie comic, but I do know that's definitely not it. Sucks that people have to be assholes about it, in any case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

Beyond it being an incredibly lovely business practice to essentially make the company look better than it is? a lot of the times they don't sell, they're just chaff. The other issue is that by overshipping books to prop up numbers, Marvel isn't letting the public decide which books it actually likes, which ones it doesn't, and what the fans want.
How is it not letting people decide which books they actually like? Diamond may count overshipped books for their sales numbers, but I'm sure Marvel isn't dumb enough to think that if they ship 3000 free copies of a book that it means they're getting 3000 extra sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What happened in today's solicits?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Star-Spangled War Stories can't possibly be as good as that cover wants me to believe it is.

Is this because DCBS closed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's pretty crappy customer service to sell someone's book that they reserved.

That said, if you're waiting a month to pick up your books, I don't really hold it too much against them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are they just trying to see if you sell comics early or is it a general secret shopping thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rare, maybe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Here's a good comic shop story.

Today I was loitering at the shop, and the only other customers were a family with three kids. They grab every Scrooge McDuck book we have, a Gotham Adventures trade, and a Harley Quinn figure for dad. Dad is quiet, kids are well behaved, and the wife is super friendly. While ringing up the Gotham Adventures trade she mentions her husband has a story in it. My buddy goes "Yeah? Who is he?". She points at the name "Paul Dini." We play it cool, but my brain is geeking out.

His wife is from the neighborhood, and they were in town for thanksgiving. Paul drew a Harley on a sketch cover, and his wife needled him about buying a Harley figure. "They send you four of everything." "Not this one.."

What a great day.
You met real-life Zatanna!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it untrue that if a comic has low orders it might be difficult to get since stores don't want to over-order? That seems like a good reason to preorder. (Granted, I'm KILLING COMIC SHOPS by only buying digital so what do I know?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno Assault Man blew up a schoolbus full of children

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weren't you talking about moving to a marginally less racist part of the country anyway?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

There are Ayn Rand pops now. I want to get one just to set it on fire.

The pic going around was a custom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't bought a floppy in years and don't intend to change that. Even if I wanted to, I don't have the space to store piles of paper. Digital is so much nicer. I'm almost even out of room for collected stuff, though I need to purge since there's lots of things I don't really want anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've seen far more of Tony Moore than I would have ever cared to see following his IG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Well now I'm curious. Will report back.

:nws: https://instagram.com/p/BgosvUvFKbJ/ :nws:

• Locked thread