Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really do enjoy your enthusiastic posts, Rhyno. I've seen so many comic shops go out of business over the last 20 years it's great to see people who still enjoy the business. It's why I go to the one ten miles from me rather than the one down the street because the kid who works at mine is genuinely happy every time I come in while the dude at the closer one clearly hates his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I love that the Blob is basically a slightly oversized American male on that cover. We fat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This thread got me all excited because I remembered that I bought doubles of every issue of Preacher when it came out, one to read and one to sell later. Finally a comic that may be worth something!

...I guess I must have sold that second set sometime in the last 20 years. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Now we're engaged in a buyer dispute with one of them because of the price bottoming out again.

How often does that happen? I imagine selling non-graded comics is a major dice roll on eBay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Third time ever that I am aware of. I've sold hundreds of my personal collection on Ebay and have on;y ever had one issue and I'm pretty sure he was conning me. In this case we got $30 for the book. Now you can get it for $2 again so he's disputing the $30 and the shipping. He only has a feedback of 17 and we have close to 2000 so I think we'll win this one. If we don't I'll mail him a box of dog poop.

Yeah, I've been real careful selling anything of value on eBay since they got rid of negative feedback for buyers. I got screwed a year ago selling an iPod dock that I said in the description "Is not an official certified iPod dock, which is why I'm selling it, because I'm sick of seeing the little message pop up on my phone. Works great as a bluetooth dock."

Buyer left negative feedback and initiated a chargeback "Thanks for the iPod dock that doesn't work with iPods, rear end in a top hat!" I ended up losing the $25 he paid for it, despite the clear description. Oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is why I haven't sold anything on eBay since 2009-ish. I've heard far too many horror stories about buyers ripping off honest sellers. who end up being out their items and their money. I've had no problems selling on Amazon Marketplace and in SA-Mart, but I don't think I'll ever sell on eBay again.

Amazon Marketplace got me a little pissed when I realized there wasn't adjustable shipping rates. I sold a 6 pound PS3 fightstick for $70, got a $6 shipping credit to ship it "expedited". $25 *actual* shipping cost minus Amazon's fee and I got $32 for it. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I've had worse experiences on Amazon than I have Ebay. I had a dozen claims of never receiving the item and then negative feedback on top of that. The last item I sold was a brand new, MOC Transformer and the guy claimed it was open and I had repaired the package with scotch tape.

Hah, ironically I just bought a Skywarp "MOC" that came scotch taped shut. I was annoyed but I was opening it anyway so I didn't bother.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, I get the feeling Amazon Marketplace is great for businesses, but terrible for individual selling. There was a sweet spot a few years ago where I made some great money selling old video games, DVDs and textbooks, but now it's just not cost effective to sell much of anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kizudarake posted:

Go to amazon.com and click "sell your stuff on Amazon"

Just be aware (as we were discussing) the shipping credit is small (I got $6.99 for expedited shipping of a 7 pound joystick) and the fees are like 20%. So price accordingly knowing what you ACTUALLY want to make.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Never underestimate what people are capable of.

Oh look at Mr. Fancy Pants here who probably has a "reading nook" where he reads his comics instead of reading them on the pooper like everyone else.

...I'm only half kidding there. Actually surprised that you don't see this more, especially with pre-smartphone day books.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

When did Pull List become the nomenclature for the books held for you? When I was a kid, you had an account, or some stores the comic club, but in recent years, its pulls or pull list. I never hear anything but Pull List in any media about comics currently.

Been pull list for me since my first lcbs in 92.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just wanted to post how much I appreciate comic shops in the gluttonous days of eBay and digital. For the first 20 issues or so of Saga I was...being a bad boy about reading them...and I decided it was too good of a series to not actually show my appreciation for, so I bought up all the trades.

Then I decided I couldn't wait for new issues, so I added it to my pull list. I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to books, so I mentioned to the manager that I was going to try and track down the older issues, as expensive as that was going to be. She told me she'd check stock at the other locations.

I came in today to a giant bag full of about 80% of the issues from 8+, with a few second printings - sold all for cover price, when they could have easily been sold on eBay for waaaay more than that.

This is the reason I will continue to go to this shop even though there are 3 closer ones. Good effing people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

All DC Rebirth books have been 100% returnable so that is not a valid excuse really.

Our single issue sales have almost doubled in the last few years. The secret of our success?

Fire anyone creepy and staff the store with normal people who can look a woman in the eyes.

My god you must have a harder time staffing than I do, and I hire computer techs and installers for an insulting low amount of pay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I pass two comic shops to get to mine because they are a super nice group of people. Good recommendations and have gotten me some stuff that was hard to find.

I'm a loyal dude like that. I moved out of town when I was done with college and never cancelled my pull list with the shop I went to then. Stopped in a few years later and the guy working remembered me and pulled out 3 years worth of books. Even though it was all doubles of stuff I got at my new shop I was pretty amazed they kept pulling so I spent the hundred or so dollars to settle my debt (which ended up being a nice choice as it netted me doubles of most of the Preacher run)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

If you can't make it in at least once a month the shop should have your credit card on file, you should have a mail order set up or you shouldn't have a pull list.

This is how mine works. I'm a decent distance from my comic shop but I continue to go there instead of closer ones because they're rad. They know I come in once a month, I don't have a ton of books so it's not a lot of storage. The few times I've lapsed for more than a month they just run my card.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey Rhyno, I've decided to slowly invest in the issues of Saga that I'm missing (Didn't start buying until issue 10). I know they're expensive, but it seems like a pain in the arse to constantly stalk eBay - are there any other good comic buying options out there? My local stores don't really do back issues these days so online seems to be the only real option.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome, thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I shot an email to my comic shop, if they have it in any of their locations they'll pull it for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno -

My shop had one copy left, they grabbed it for me. I won't be able to get there until Saturday but if you PM me your address I'll get it shipped for you try day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not a DC reader (other than Vertigo, and I'm trying out The Hellblazer for that reason), but isn't this the first real relaunch of DC continuity in many years? It would make sense that people want to get in on the ground floor and don't need to figure out what has happened to the Flash over the last 10 years.

Marvel annoys me with the relaunching of the same book - I've bought Daredevil #1 like 4 times in the last 10-15 years. I get that new buyers have an easier time getting into a #1, but it's irritating when #1 continues the same story #17 set up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Business is booming. Our comic sales are so good that we just purchased a 60+ long box collection.

I have to process it all by myself.

I hope you get as lucky as I did! I bought one of those "Random 25" comic boxes from Meh and lucked out with this find!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We paid about $3K for it and there's definitely money to be made in there. According to the inventory there's long runs of Amazing Spider-man and full sets of Secret Wars in there. I can't wait to dive into this mess.

That makes me sore because it reminds me of a few years ago my sister asked if she could put some of my comic books up for sale at her garage sale to try and drive people to the sale. I'm a comic hoarder and don't like selling anything, but I gave her two boxes of "Eh, if I can sell them for a dollar each it won't be a big loss". Told her a dollar each, no deals.

Call her at the end of the day "Oh some guy offered me $30 for both boxes, I took him up on it because I figured you'd rather get rid of all of them!"

I was angry...not books I'd REALLY miss and nothing valuable, but $30???? Grrr.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno, is it worth the money to get an old bill graded and sealed if it's in rough condition? I've got a bunch of the Dark Phoenix run, but they were sitting in a basement in grocery bags for years and years before I got ahold of them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You have a recommendation for grading? The shop I go to is mostly new books so they don't have a partnership with anyone. I have a few books I'm considering just so I can display them nicely. I just need to decide if I want to grade all 5 versions of X-Force #1 polybagged with foil cards, or just the Cable one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hmmm looks like there's a place near me that does it, according to the CGC page. I might look into that. Youngblood #1 proudly displayed in my living room coming up!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You either sell out 100% of your stock, or are left with 300 copies of Green Lantern #22 for 20 years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yup. Free. We even get shipping credits on them. This is just one tiny view into the madness that is modern Marvel. It is absolutely vital that they have a greater reported market share than DC that they will spend money to ship free books that they then count as actually sold. Someone did the math and the extra expense they drop on this is insane.

Luckily they are making GBS threads gold in the movie world so they can afford a bit of a cut in the print side.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That really sucks, Rhyno. Just remember there are more good folks than bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

MINI WHEATS ARE DELICIOUS

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Us 90s teenagers looked at how much comics were worth from the years before and of course it made sense that our books would be the same in 20 years.

My dad used to yell at me for wasting money on comic books and bags/boards. I will admit I thought I was sitting on a long term investment, like that dude, the difference being I quickly learned that nope, comics are good to read but will be a negative ROIC.

That said, I did think Preacher was going to be huge and bought doubles of each issue. And I don't want to brag, but I ended up selling that second set for 150% of what I paid a few years after it ended! Glad I got rid of it while I could make a profit and not held onto a worthless book until 2017!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any semi accurate price guides out there these days? I'm thinking of getting my New Mutants 98 graded and wouldn't mind going through my database of books to see if I have anything I forgot that I might as well send in at the same time. I have a bunch of Uncanny X-Men from 50-150, so I know there's a few gems there, but I'd like something easier than going through eBay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Every time you post it pains me thinking of the poor dude who is selling his childhood away. You'll take my 5 copies of Bloodshot #1 out of my cold, dead, Cheeto encrusted hands.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's a bummer, but I kinda suspected it. How do you determine what price you pay for collections? Do you look through a few or is it a total grab bag bulk sale?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just glad back issues have a market these days. My shop went new books only a long time ago, I miss the joy of the hunt of digging through dollar boxes hoping someone didn't notice a high value book.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's good to hear. I know people in this or another comic thread helped me out a few years ago when I decided to complete my Hellblazer collection.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Hold off a bit, I have 27 more long boxes to tape and price at $1 each and then we have 66 boxes of $1 nonsense to alphabetize.

What kind of monster doesn't keep his books in a proper order??? Mine are divided by publisher, then theme (Spider-Man, X-Men, Vertigo, etc.), then by series and by issue.

I also scan them all into Comic Collectorz because I'm that guy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The massive collection we bought was in chronological purchase order.

Eeek. I held onto a friend's collection for a while as he was moving, and I had a OCD breakdown. Not only was everything not bagged and boarded, it was long boxes full of pull bags with that week's pulls.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

He's upset you're still selling watches from your oversized trench coat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna have a look at the person who loved Spawn so much they stockpiled eight preview magazines and kept them mint.

Let me show you my 6 copies of X-force #1...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Which trading cards did they come with??

What do you think I am some sort of rookie, one of each of course

• Locked thread