Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Working in a comic shop requires a higher level of emotional calm.

My brief time working at my LCS, it took a lot patients to deal with pokemon kids, bronies and adults that literally smell like they pooped themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I had a mentally handicapped dude poo poo himself and it splattered on the floor once. He was being brought to the mall by his agency caregiver and left to his own devices for 6 hours at a time.

Oh when I worked for Games Workshop in the mall I had to deal with the daycare kids. Yep, drop you kid off and go shopping, because we don't have anything better to do than entertain your child. Lucky we were real good with the mall security (as most of them actually played) and when this happened, we'd inform the parent that we are not a baby sitting service so any child abandoned in the store would be reported as loitering after a half hour and would be turned over to the mall security and they'd be called to the security office. This was an effective deterrent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if the reason they went to that mall was because rent was probably low and that gave them more money to put into the store.

But yea that's too bad, sounds like they wanted to be a destination store, but the location was just working against them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS has been putting up a lot of golden/silver age comics up (including Ms Marvel #1 that I want so much) and some guy came in and started throwing around accusations that they're all fake , because apparently there are tons of fake back issues out there.

The gently caress? The manager asked him to leave if he was going to accuse them of trying to rip people off, and he threatened her with a bad Yelp review.

Oh no.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

We always get people in saying out autographs and poo poo are fake. People just seem to get pissed off at things they can't afford.

Other than the aforementioned Ms Marvel #1, first appearance of Black Cat and a few other high value comics, most of the ones they have range form 10-40bux, not exactly high priced.

I get really annoyed with whoever the distro for Marvel Legends is (Is that Diamond too?) because they're really inconsistent, some stores already have the latest Spider-Man set and I want the Kamala from it, but my LCS hasn't gotten it yet and I get my discount there. My store is always a week or two behind. The Manager has talked to diamond about this and they're all "we can't control on how long it takes to get you stuff".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't that what Marvel is doing now? Putting a "Spider-Man goes to Wallmart #1!" on the cover when the issue is actually #23?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My local store had a really good day, and my hometown store did really well, but they always have good FCBD. They had Steve McNiven there signing and doing art.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm trying to clear some space so I am going to try to sell some comics off at the convention I work at. Friday night we have a sort of flea market, as its a anime convention its called the Nominoichi, and I've had great success selling my crap off every year. One year I made enough to buy a new TV. Anyways, I am thinking of the bulk doing $1 each or 6 for 5$, but I know i have some stuff that is possibly worth up to 40bux like New 52 Batman #1, or the Lenticular Harley Quinn cover. Last year I sold some Xbox 360 games that were worth a lot more than I was selling them, and felt kind of dumb because I know the guy who bought them knew I had massively undercosted them. I sold Rockband 3 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for 5bux each.

Anyways, my question is what site is best to use to find out the value of a comic? I looked at what th CGC grading entails, and I'd guess most of mine are in the 8s as they are read once, and then put in bags and then into a box, though a few were bought purely because I felt they'd become valuable, the Forever Evil covers for example.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RevKrule posted:

You gotta be really hard on your comics on first read to get them down to 8s. I'm pretty ok with my comics and never had a recent comic (as in last 10 years) graded lower than a 9 and few lower than 9.6.

Best site to find the value of a comic is ebay I've found. Track what it sells for raw in nm condition (which is probably what you have), discount the outliers and find the range the majority sell for. That's how I've always judged.

Ebay is great, most of the stuff i'm pricing is about 5bux so I'm pricing it at a dollar, a few things have been a lot more than that, so I am pricing them about %60-%50 of their average value. It depends on how easy i think it would move. New 52 Dectective #1 and holographic Forever Evil harley quinn would probably move faster than JL #1. I found out i had the Tucci variant of the Thone of Atlantis issue.

Though I just found on Detective 871, Black Mirror is easily 60bux + on Ebay. I'm debating if i want to try to sell it at the con or see if my LCS wants it. Wtf 880 is listed at like 200bux. Wtf?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 19, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, they're pretty much doing their own Rebirth in the fall.
Marvel Legacy is very blatant, but I hope it works. If there's an actual equilibrium with both sides selling healthy piles o' comics, it's only good.

edit: And if they're both successful and content enough, hows about another DC/Marv crossover? :)

I was just reading the 90s Marvel Vs DC and was thinking it would be great to do this again, especially since what heroes are popular and being promoted are fairly different than they were back then.

Deadpool could be the catalyst and there could be a Harley Quinn and Deadpool mini. Like that wouldn't sell a shitton.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hopefully they never get their hands on Seduction of the Innocent, as it makes the claim Batman and Robin are more Topman and Bottom. God drat Wertham, you Comstocking rear end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS is picking up customers from one that closed downtown and apparently many of them expect the same deals. Problem is, those deals that they were getting was probably the reason the other store went under. Apparently they were doing things like charging regulars just above cost for Statues, which is kind of insane.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Nope you're right. US cover isn't too unreasonable but also free accounts a bunch of other stuff must have hurt. Their setup at anime north was all Pops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow gently caress that guy and gently caress Joey. At best he should have promised you'd look at them faster than normal or something. "Hook you up" sounds like he was expecting enough money for drugs or something.

Everyone is convinced their sitting on a gold mine of comics. Unless you have something like a #1 of a popular series, First Apperance of, Death of, or first issue by a certain creative team or something else that makes it a landmark issue, its probably going to be worth nothing.

A guy got pissy at my LCS because they didn't want his collection of early to mid 90s Heavy Metals. He then wrote a yelp review saying that "the store doesn't know anything, they passed up clearly valuable comics". As if he had mint Frank Miller Daredevils or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Hal is too lazy to get up from his seat to help everyone on The Runaway Room!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

We bought yet another collection yesterday.

A BSS favorite was in it

In this issue, Ms Marvel gets what every woman truely wants!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Horrifying PTSD and the certainty that internalised misogyny is inescapable?

Yea, Shooter thought this was a positive story for Carol. There's that great essay on it abd the Marvel untold story devouts a good chunk to it as well.

Thank God for Claremont.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've only done it once when I had to run to my hometown for a funeral for a friend, and was leaving Wednesday. The manager let me take a few home and put them through with my credit. That was exceptional circumstances, I'd never ask to even see something before release day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot about this episode of a friend of mines podcast that's specifically about etiquette in comic shops, both from the customer and staffs POV.

http://www.livingbetweenwednesdays.com/blog/4-3

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i'm looking at off loading at least half my pops during the convention I work at, as we have a friday night swap meet for attendees. Going to keep like Geralt and Captain Marvel, but all my GoT and most of my DC and video game ones are going to get sold off. Though even though the fad is kinda dying Tywin Lannister and GL Movie Sinestro are worth a bunch, out of what i have.

And yea, I got a bunch because either they were cheaper than the action figure (Black Series Jyn Erso was $40 and the pop was $15) or there was nothing for that franchise or character (there wasn't a Marvel Legends Captain Marvel out yet, and a lot of my friends have got Steven Universe ones because that's the only merch you can really get). Though Ashens made a good point in one of his lootbox videos that even if its the only merch for something you like, that doesn't make it good. Though I actually like their stylized looks.

I worked at my LCS when the Pop mania was at its peak and you literally spent most of your day restocking and reoganizing the shelves because so many people where buying them. Got me extra shours as I'd be called in just to fix it up for a few hours.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There are Ayn Rand pops now. I want to get one just to set it on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

The pic going around was a custom.

That makes me happy. I kind of wish I had not sworn of pops because i want that Lying Cat.

Honestly, I think 1 Legends or Black Series or Icon over 2 pops is probably better. I love the Gwenpool one that just came out. Though is there a secondary market for the build a figure parts? I have to assume there is, as there's a secondary market for like everything.

• Locked thread