Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm thinking of cancelling everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Not sure if this is the best place for This, but my LCS (who do weekly comic book market Twitter threads) went on a bit of a rant this evening about how Marvel's practices are royally screwing over retailers lately.

Starts here and goes on a bit.

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/871823949751103488

It is.a bit of a shame to be honest. I am one person who has recently basically dropped my entire pull there (although it's nothing to do with Marvel really). I went in last week and the owner was pretty surprised as a) I had no singles in my pull and b) All I did have was a DC tpb (im traditionally more of a Marvel reader out of the Big Two).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They adjust their orders all the time. I'm sure Rhyno can explain also but they have to go by what they think will be popular. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I think they said the latest Flash had something like 94% sell through, and they'd upped the orders a lot on it (obviously it was a big crossover with a lot of buzz). They've had to cut their Secret Empire orders though because it's selling less than Civil War II was by its final issue.

I suppose the goal is to get something close to 100% so that you have some copies on the shelf but not too many.

Another example is that they mentioned the Wonder Woman annual selling really well for them, and that yeah they probably did leave money on the table there by not ordering enough.

I don't think they're "celebrating" selling out of books btw. They're just highlighting what was popular and what wasn't.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 5, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You'd think they'd just, I dunno, create better books than DC. They were doing it for years until DC got their poo poo together with Rebirth. I miss that Marvel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That's pretty much what my LCS twitter was saying, if both the Big Two are producing great comics (along with Image, Valiant and other publishers), it's best for everyone. Marvel's current practices (nothing to do with the quality of their comics) are pushing people away, though, and that's screwing over retailers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you played nicely with the other children...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We bought yet another collection yesterday.

A BSS favorite was in it

Why are there 2 copies of it...? :gonk:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Back when Greg Pak was doing Planet Hulk/World War Hulk, I had his Incredible Hulk on my pull list. When Loeb's Hulk book started up, someone at the shop put that in my pull without me asking them to, simply because I was buying Incredible Hulk. I didn't notice and accidentally bought the first issue. :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

JordanKai posted:

IMO if you don't sort your collection primarily by author and secondarily by release date you're on the wrong side of history.
What madness is this?

e: Since we're sort of talking about old books, a friend of mine sent me these recently...

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Surely this thread should put you off working in a comic book shop though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

To be fair, having a pull list isn't really of benefit to the customer, but it is super helpful for your retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My shop doesn't like to "guess" on new books where they have virtually nothing historic to go on, which is where pull lists are helpful to them.

• Locked thread