Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Assholes. Like as I said, if they're kids, you can kind of forgive it, but adults, its basically stealing.

I understand the frustration of people browsing and not buying anything, and I don't want this to come across as hostile, but this is really not 'basically stealing' and if anybody ever said that to me while I was standing around reading comics in a comic store I would loudly exclaim "Are you kidding me?", walk out, and never come back.

The entire benefit of having a local shop instead of using the internet is the ability to hang out, talk to people about comics, and read comics to determine if I want to buy them or not.
Sometimes I go to my LCS, I know exactly what I want, don't bother browsing, and pick up all the comics I've been meaning to pick up for 6 months and some things I think my friends will like. Sometimes I go in on the weekend before payday or some other day when I can't pick anything up, read some trades for series I've never had a chance to check out, look through some single issues to see if there's anything currently going on that I like, and make a mental list of what I want to buy in a week/month/whenever. Sometimes I go in to pick up some single issues, see a trade for a series I love but haven't read in years, and end up getting sucked into it for a while.
The fact that I can do this in a place where I feel like the employees are friendly, helpful, and glad to have me there, is the reason I make a point to try and buy something I know they'll make a solid profit on as often as I can, and any recommendations of comics to friends include a "And I know they carry it here" tacked on with an explanation of how great the store is.

I love to support my LCS, but if I ever felt like I was being pressured into buying something because they are owed me buying something, I would find a new store.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread