Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair the same can be said of English.

Dutch is a gutter dialect of Frisian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So what we're saying is those Frisian fucks have a lot to answer for?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dutch is a dialect of Frisian (language). English is a dialect of Frisian (dairy cattle).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Guavanaut posted:

Dutch is a dialect of Frisian (language). English is a dialect of Frisian (dairy cattle).

:hai:

So what you're saying is, EU working language should be either Frisian or Esperanto

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Guavanaut posted:

https://youtu.be/OeC1yAaWG34?si=lBhLnb-1co3okCJ-

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

:hai:

So what you're saying is, EU working language should be either Frisian or Volapük

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

introduce latin imo, do it all old-style

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's always Interslavic...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

introduce latin imo, do it all old-style
Latin is for fascists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought Strictly Ballroom disproved that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

English is a weird mess of a language, but it's way too late to change to something else now, so I'm fine with it staying the lingua franca. We just need to decouple it from its British and American association. Do some minor language reforms and call it 'European English' and then teach that in schools, instead of British English. In a generation or two, rename it to something other than English. Like 'Europenese' or 'Brusslish'. If we have madmaxed by then we could also go with something really weird like 'the ancient island tongue' or 'the common brit jabber'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well there is International English which excludes Britishisms and Americanisms. You encounter it regularly in the Commonwealth.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Well there is International English which excludes Britishisms and Americanisms. You encounter it regularly in the Commonwealth.

Hmm, I don't think so I quite know what this is. Could you give few examples

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GABA ghoul posted:

English is a weird mess of a language, but it's way too late to change to something else now, so I'm fine with it staying the lingua franca. We just need to decouple it from its British and American association. Do some minor language reforms and call it 'European English' and then teach that in schools, instead of British English. In a generation or two, rename it to something other than English. Like 'Europenese' or 'Brusslish'. If we have madmaxed by then we could also go with something really weird like 'the ancient island tongue' or 'the common brit jabber'.

:thejoke:?
Because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_English

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eulish.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GABA ghoul posted:

this is pure pessimism, low-energy approach

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a wholesale crusade against the english language would be one thing which could make me rethink my contempt of the EU as a project

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

a wholesale crusade against the english language would be one thing which could make me rethink my contempt of the EU as a project

Ihan hyvä ajatus, mutta mikäs kieli sen tilalle sitten? Ei väldesti helppoa saavuttaa yhteisymmärrystä tästä imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

It's time to make Danish the universal language.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

In fairness, you can understand both sides of that even if you grew up in eg the Niederrhein in Germany.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

jaete posted:

Ihan hyvä ajatus, mutta mikäs kieli sen tilalle sitten? Ei väldesti helppoa saavuttaa yhteisymmärrystä tästä imo

Suomi olisi epäämättä paras kieli, koska se saisi ruotsalaiset tolaltaan.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. But it needs to have a lot more strange idiosyncrasies that annoy Brits and Americans. Annoying them is something we Europeans could bond over and form a common identity around. Like, a cell phone could be called a 'handy' in Europe and when you want to express that something is unacceptable that would be a 'total no-go'. Something ridiculous like that. And it needs to be standardized and prescriptive and taught in schools.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh, that's a great idea. Watching football on a big screen in a public park with a hundred people could be called a "public viewing". Also, the device to project an image to the screen could be called a "beamer".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Need not being evil thinking to make confusion aimingly. We only need to hold easy farm reason rules we learned on basic school so we all understand

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As the only EU members using English normally it should be restricted to Hiberno-English of Ireland or Maltenglish of Malta. :colbert:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Denmark/Population posted:

5.857 million (2021)

How Many People Speak Danish, And Where Is It Spoken? posted:

Danish is spoken by 5.4 million people in Denmark, and 5.6 million people worldwide.

Danish isn't even the universal language in Denmark.

(Besides, everyone knows that the universal Euro language should be Welsh, because it doesn't favour any existing EU member and a room full of people speaking Welsh is a good way to annoy the English.)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Now, I'm not saying, but… Ich sachs ja nur.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Not anymore

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
English as a language most people knowmeant that whenever I've traveled in Europe if it easy to interact with people outside Portugal or Spain. And even when I traveled to non EU countries like Romania, bulgaria(before becoming eu) most people knew some. The place where I'd have a 50/50 chance was Russia but normally that meant the person next to them knew English.

Now in America if they don't know English they likely know Spanish which I know. What I'm saying is that having a common foreign language has a lot of good uses

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Celexi posted:

English as a language most people knowmeant that whenever I've traveled in Europe if it easy to interact with people outside Portugal or Spain. And even when I traveled to non EU countries like Romania, bulgaria(before becoming eu) most people knew some. The place where I'd have a 50/50 chance was Russia but normally that meant the person next to them knew English.

Now in America if they don't know English they likely know Spanish which I know. What I'm saying is that having a common foreign language has a lot of good uses

the counterpoint, of course, is that english in particular is the hideous tounge of fools, savages and knaves, and what is worse yet yanks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

V. Illych L. posted:

the counterpoint, of course, is that english in particular is the hideous tounge of fools, savages and knaves, and what is worse yet yanks

They said, writing in English.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They said, writing in English.

It's just badly typed French.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. But it needs to have a lot more strange idiosyncrasies that annoy Brits and Americans. Annoying them is something we Europeans could bond over and form a common identity around. Like, a cell phone could be called a 'handy' in Europe and when you want to express that something is unacceptable that would be a 'total no-go'. Something ridiculous like that. And it needs to be standardized and prescriptive and taught in schools.
We shouldn't take a single cue from the Englishmen of Europe.

Guavanaut posted:

(Besides, everyone knows that the universal Euro language should be Welsh, because it doesn't favour any existing EU member and a room full of people speaking Welsh is a good way to annoy the English.)
But Danish would be a good way to annoy everyone, including Danes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I unironically suggest universal pakkoruotsi. The shock ought to give Purra and Halla-Aho terminal brain aneurysms which alone would be worth it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Swedish empire, come to glory at last

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I suspect Romani would more effectively piss off all the right people.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Baby steps, people. First we need to mandate in Eurovision that the acts can only be sung in native language(s) of the country. To remove Irish advantage of using commonly known English, they can only sing in Gaelic. UK's language advantage of using English doesn't matter one bit because they'd still be performing the UK's act.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We shouldn't take a single cue from the Englishmen of Europe.

Danes inability to understand poorly pronounced Danish amazes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I swear, Uti Vår Hage lives rent-free in so many peoples head.

It’s not even their best sketch either.