Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hope they enjoy living under a guy that does this poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I see Gaussian called backup to gun down refugee boats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Nah, the current plans are for the Libyan government (if/when it actually takes control) to officially invite the EU/Frontex/NATO/certain countries to help them secure their shore, which means the ships of those countries will be permitted to operate in their waters and deliver the people they rescue from boats right back to Libya.

Whatever floats your xenophobic brownshirt boat, dude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baxta posted:

They seem to be pointing out (in a roundabout way) that the EU can't take every single migrant in the world and shouldn't be expected to.

It's a pretty reasonable stance as far as these kinds of stances go.

Something something gunning down refugee boats.

Oh, and Turkey is totally a stable and healthy state right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

That's interesting since it's not what I was led to believe, can you link the data?

It's Liberal_l33t dude. He thinks every Muslim is a fundamentalist. Like Dawkins level paranoid delusion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

It doesn't matter if modern reactors and regulations are super-safe. Fukushima teaches us that 1. outdated technologies will be used, and 2. that regulations will be skirted. Fukushima happened in this age of "oh but nuclear power is super safe". It didn't matter that current technology and regulations are safe, because that assumes these technologies and regulations are present and adhered to in practice, which is an almost insane assumption to make.

e; And even if we're talking about a brand new NPP, five, ten, twenty years down the road the thing will need maintenance, and there is absolutely nothing telling you it will receive that.

Maybe privatized power is a bad thing, and not essentially nuclear power :shrug:

I mean, I'm just going to point to the US Navy and France now and you can figure out what I am implying on your own...

:effort:

YF-23 posted:

It's not about whose fault it is, it's about how dangerous the technology is when it's anyone's fault.

So, basically every modern technology. Got it. And yet we let them burn coal and decide what to do with the radioactive and heavy metal infused ashes on their own.

YF-23 posted:

No, it does not. I never commented on what Germany is doing. My original comment about nuclear power was that I wished that renewables were being developed further in its place. I made absolutely no comparison to fossils whatsoever, and I fully agree that on the large scale, nuclear power is preferable to fossil power (but renewables are preferable to both).

:ssh: A large portion of Germany's renewables is burning wood/biomass. So new age coal generation. Careful what you wish for. And no, renewables are not likely to totally offset fossil fuel useage.

Your choice are:

Coal
Gas
Nuclear

Solar and wind are great, yes we should strive for more of them. But they won't replace baseload. Not yet. Not for many many decades, if that.
Make your choice.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Do we really have to remind everyone in the thread that Nuclear still holds the lowest amount of deaths per KwH of any method of generation?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friendly Humour posted:

My point though was that the reason that we've got aging reactors that occasionally explode is that we haven't been building new ones to replace them because of political pressure from the ecological movement. And so in the meantime what we got instead of solar and wind power was a whole lot of coal and natural gas. Turns out opposing things without providing a viable alternative is a pretty good strategy if you don't give a flying gently caress about the consequences.

Greenpeace.txt

They oppose nuclear maintenance in hope a catastrophic failure occurs so they can blame the failure on nuclear

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Then your definition of renewable as a solution for baseload is unachievable right now and you are proposing pipe dreams while raising Fukushima fearmongering.

Well done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

There's a bunch of things that are good and that we should strive for even though they are decidedly not short-term projects, such as full renewable energy, or full communism.

Why do you call my statements wrt Fukushima "fear-mongering"?

Because it is fearmongering. Considering what happened, the reactor melt-down is a minor blip in what is going on in Fukushima, and shooting for full renewable is so vastly pie-in-the-sky wishy-washy dreaming that it ignores the reality of modern energy demands. You've already said yourself that Germany was mistaken in their shuttering of their plants post Fukushima, so why would appealing to a nuclear reactor that has done next to nothing as far as risk versus the tsunami that killed/displaced 18.000 not be fear mongering?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friendly Humour posted:

Well get to it then!

Its not like dams are not known for causing mass destruction when they fail or anything, along with loving up ecology....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bronin posted:

Switzerland already does this. Don't know since when though.

Its pretty normal actually, you can request Iodine pills in the US if your home is near a reactor, but its largely to address unwarranted fears.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Wow, it's like when politicians decide to be Fascist-Lite, voters start going for Fascist-Original Recipe instead? Like if you turn the public discourse away from "fascism is bad" and decide to make it instead "fascism is good in moderation" then that will benefit the real fascists more than the "traditional" parties?

When your policies are based on the axiom that immigrants are an existential threat to the country and they should be kept out, that's why you're building fences, then why the gently caress are you surprised that those people who say "immigrants are an existential threat to the country, that's why we're gonna boot them out of here" gain votes? By going fascist-lite, you're not appeasing the fascist itch of the electorate, you're justifying it and telling people that fascism is the answer, so of course they're gonna go for the real-deal instead of the diet version you're trying to sell them.

Being against immigration from 3rd countries is not against EU rules. It gets a bit more difficult when you talk about refugees but generally the EU is not pro open borders outside the EU.

You're a horrible person and probably a racist considering how you are basically advocating for them here and now as the only ones willing to be just as vitriolic to refugees as possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LemonDrizzle posted:

The chancellor of Austria has resigned after his party crashed and burned horribly in the presidential elections, and people in his party are calling for closer cooperation with the populist/anti-immigrant FPÖ: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/09/werner-faymann-quits-as-austrian-chancellor

Old ghosts starting to moan again....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

So, uhm, what country is not authoritarian in your opinion?

Whatever country that you don't have a say in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd argue a lot of people would rather be exploited healthcare professionals in the UK than unemployed bums in Romania.

Doesn't mean you should accept nor live with exploitation, you rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

It really doesn't, as this graph will show you:

If his description were accurate, the graph should point downward, which it doesn't.

Are you kidding me? Are you freaking kidding me? Wage stagnation is okay as long as workers keep producing?

What, you just expected the workers to roll over and die from wage stagnation?

Holy poo poo you are an awful human being.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

For maximum schadenfreude, I'm hoping for a Brexit followed by a Scoxit.

An exit from the exit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What's going on with the shooting in a theater in Germany?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

waitwhatno posted:

Everything is fine. Police shot the guy, some people got hit by CS gas but are fine, no injured. Police says dude was probably not a terrorist, looked and behaved like someone with mental illness. They have not confirmed if the weapon used was actually real.

So, white guy then?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

It would have helped if Greece would have protected its border or registered the refugees it let in.

:allears: Versus letting them drown, like you wanted to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Riso posted:

Greece does not have an obligation to let people in or pass through and until 2015 they did not do so.

Edit: ISIS existed before 2015 as well.

Oh man, if this wasn't all a bunch of bullshit.

I'm surprised Riso and Gaussian haven't shown up in U-Boast in the Mediterranean yet to gun down those pesky refugees.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Who resurrected Goebbels and let him in the thread?

Trying to assign ROI to refugees from what amounts to genocide is loving inhumane you xenophobic nativist fucks.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

It makes a huge difference to the internal politics of the destination countries whether or not the refugees are seen as a burden you must accept for moral reasons, or as potentially productive members of society. If that means Europeans are Goebbels, well, that's the grim reality we live in.

What are the people you are advocating for in this thread literally suggested going down to the Mediterranean and sinking Refugee boats I'd honestly think about what you're trying to recommend here

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Recommend?

That we accept nearly despotic and inhumane refugee conditions just because it's economically acceptable

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

I didn't recommend that or anything else, maybe you are confusing me with someone else.

I'm sorry were you not just the one that said the Grim reality should just be accepted

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

No....? The point I was making is that we should not concede to the nativists that refugees are and always will be an economic burden.

It doesn't matter if they think they are the statistics don't actually support that they're not making arguments that natives are more valuable as an investment because they're xenophobic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

Honestly? The "economic burden" vs "economic benefit" argument should just disappear. It operates under the same dehumanising narrative of reducing human value to a statistical figure that has caused so much damage and detachment between modern politics and people.

Exactly. Trying to invalidate refugees by their economic value undermines the entire point of having a refugee system to begin with.

That's the lovely part about the arguments Gaussian and Ligur make: These are not normal immigrants, and trying to place value on them ignores their plight, even disregarding the statistics that they've ignored.

Hell, if we're going to use ROI as a justification for existence in a country, how long until its turned upon the health system and used to deny people basic medical treatment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doctor Malaver posted:

You would help refugees more if you made an effort to write comprehensibly.

I'm blaming Google Voice, since that was my phone post.

Sinteres posted:

Good luck winning elections if you stop even pretending there's an economic benefit to hosting the migrants, many of whom aren't actually refugees.

:ssh: Most of them are still refugees. And trying to undermine the refugee system with economic arguments is, at best, a poor strawman, at worst, an inhumane attempt to remove any value of the human lives of people fleeing outright genocide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

I wasn't aware that Turkey was exterminating refugees; this changes everything.

Turkey is acting as a giant death trap for refugees from Syria through inaction.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/05/10/words-praise-deadly-deeds-turkeys-treatment-refugees

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Einbauschrank posted:

It is also an easy way to ignore the economical pull factors in migration. "Refugees" stop being refugees once they are in Greece, Italy, Spain etc.

That's not how being a refugee works. Like, at all.

Einbauschrank posted:

So obviously there's more to it than "outright genocide", as was shown by the Syrian father who was responsible for having his family drown in the Mediterrenean because he expected a set of new teeth in Europe. Claiming that he was threatened by "genocide" in Turkey, where he was working as a barber is simply not true.

Holy poo poo you are a piece of work.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I doubt Turkey is going to be a suitable partner for this much longer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

double nine posted:

Eh, Merkel spent a lot of political capital on first the "wir schaffen das" and then the migration stop agreement with turkey. I can easily see the german government try to hang on to the agreement until the cows come home

Turkey is currently doing major damage to their geopolitical standing in the West. I think its less that Germany wants to hang on, more that Erdogan is going to slip away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't see a single nazi symbol in this video.

Well, he was goose stepping at the intro. But Rammstein is pretty out about not being Nazis and support a lot of Leftists stuff, they just tend to get lumped in due to the sort of Industrial metal they play and being German.

"In the film The Pervert's Guide to Ideology, the psychanalytical Communist philosopher Slavoj Žižek presented Rammstein as an example of how to remove the Nazi ideology from the cultural forms used by Nazism."

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 15, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So when do you start banning Habits? Or is this a Muslim only headwear ban?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friendly Humour posted:

It's a retarded populist measure with exactly zero positive results, against people who should know better than to wear something so vulgar. The whole topic is crap and crap. Can we please stop talking about it?

:thejoke: That was the point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chemtrail posted:

2-4 years depending on the next election dates and subsequent rise of right wing dominated governments in many parts of Europe.

Even the Right Wing guys popping up won't touch Habits, most of their power comes from Catholic/Protestant members. Which is why the Burqa ban is so obviously a xenophobic move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Muslims aren't an imminent threat, no, but what happens in the future when the birth rates for muslims are 8 and 2 for the indigenous people in Europe? People don't seem to consider what will happen in the future. It's simple math. But apparently we shouldn't care about our own people and just welcome all this "diversity" because we're good people. So good in fact, that we'll be minorities in our own countries after some time. And the majority then will be muslims, and you can take a look what goes on in muslim majority countries, like Saudi Arabia. This is what Europe will get after 50% of our population is muslim. Who the gently caress wants that? Because unless something is done, it will be inevitable. Simple loving math.

Please tell me this is a joke post and you are not that pathetically racist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/giles_fraser/st...556230235258880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

ehhh not really it's just a moderate inconvenience, worst case the oldest two reactors shut down a few years early and a few others spend a couple hundred million on upgrades

Most of the ones with multiple reactors on site are still operating one of the reactors while the other is inspected and/or their maintenance is carried out.