Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rappaport posted:

I suppose we are all creations of our national histories. Paasikivi said that "Germany has begun two world wars, and it will begin the third too", and I view all European politics through that lens.

I feel this is a little harsh - the German Empire was involved, but it's pretty reductive to say 1914 was a German action. They certainly share the blame for joining in, but it was a complicated situation driven by multiple factors.

And Austria-Hungary shot first, so to speak.

...I mean obviously Princip shot first but he wasn't a state actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, it's like that saying about slavery being the cause of the Civil War. First you think it was about slavery, then you realize it was more complicated, before finally realizing it was actually just slavery all along. Just replace slavery with "the Germans started it" (when they pushed the Austrians to go to war).

I feel WW1 was more complicated than America's racists trying and failing to Triumph of Their Will.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe it didn't, did you consider that? :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You say Germany hasn't invaded and annexed countries and yet Nigel Farage assures me that you did so via the ECB.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

And attacking close neighbors and peer adversaries was a feature of German geography. I'm fairly sure if the UK - the Empire where the Sun Never Sets - had been situated where Germany is they would have created all sort of trouble for their neighbors. Nationalism and the same sense of entitlement would have made it inevitable.

Buddy, IF, neighbours?? We went to war with France on a weekly basis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Wars

I mean gently caress, we kept getting into wars with Spain so much that needed a disambiguation page too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We can't leave because there's no really good name for it.

Surely you can make something funny out of "afslut" ?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noah's -mark

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Germany cleverly disguised themselves as Russians and invaded Ukraine. Putin still hasn't cottoned on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I always assumed it was specifically to choose a country unlikely to pursue imperial ambitions. Perfidious Albion would be furious if the damned French would host the main institutions and heaven forbid the Teutons get the seat of power. Stick it in Benelux but hang on the Brits are whining about the Orange Kingdom so skip the -ne- part.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Wow, Marine le Pen ditching people she agrees with in order to be electorally viable, what a shocking twist." - Jean-Marie le Pen

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

marine le pen is in with a real chance of becoming president of france. she has developed the precise degree and kind of racism which is electorally optimal and will not be moved from it. once she had to affirm that france was a country with religious freedom in the face of some (LR? Renaissance? i forget) other right-wing politician going on a genuine islamophobic tirade on television. it was interesting because it shows that she has very clearly thought through exactly how far she's going with this stuff in public appearances

Just for the record, I was more just making fun of how she shivved her own dad in the liver to get a chance at power. That was extremely funny.

The rest of it sucks, however. How was I to know a night of long knives would prelude tragedy?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, Germany has had a history of terrible decisions leading to a self-inflicted wound.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd feel pretty safe in German Fußgang zones but anywhere near a road and I'm looking over my shoulder.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In Britain we have already prepared for war by destroying the economy, leaving the poor on the precipice of starvation and depleting our military resources.

Oh for the start of a war? That's ridiculous.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall Current Events was the precursor forum to Debate & Discussion, based off that class name.

In Europe's defence, and particularly in Germany, contemporary history is taught, hence the infamous case of the German student studying overseas in the US having to explain to an American classmate arguing against learning about slavery, that, actually, Germany does teach about the Holocaust, because it's important to learn from historical mistakes.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 21, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who better to smugly tell Jewish Germans screaming about human rights to shut the gently caress up while a genocide is going on, after all?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

Nowadays the biggest difference in how this time period is taught in Germany vs the US is that German kids mostly learn about how the 3rd Reich supposedly came to be vs how all American kids remember are some random battle formations during WW2.

In the UK my main takeaways were that Nazi Germany spontaneously came into being, invaded Poland, Dunkirk, something something WE LIBERATED BERGEN-BELSEN, wasn't Anne Frank tragic? Pause. Hitler Dood, Nou Wat?

The Soviets? That some kinda band?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Calling it a language was always a little bit of a stretch. It's mostly a Dutch dialect

Being fair the same can be said of English.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So what we're saying is those Frisian fucks have a lot to answer for?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well there is International English which excludes Britishisms and Americanisms. You encounter it regularly in the Commonwealth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Glah posted:

UK's language advantage of using English doesn't matter one bit because they'd still be performing the UK's act.

I keep saying we should just say gently caress it and send DragonForce.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well well well, looks like the Danelaw finally came back around and your navy sucks poo poo, now, too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If only there was historical precedence of a long period of peace leading to the complacency that allows bad actors to cause war and for that to have devastating consequences.

Now to take a huge sip of water and turn to literally any page in this history book.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

I don't remember anyone on the left, including this forum, ever asking for increased military spending pre-Ukraine. So why the smug and told-you-so attitude now? Actually the only politician who's been consistent in saying this to Europeans is :sad:.

Well in the UK thread we repeatedly mock our stupid government for having no functioning military equipment, including that our loving nukes are American made and controlled.

We have an aircraft carrier with no aircraft and one of our ships deployed to stop the Houthis had to retire due to rust.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Who could have guessed that people/countries don't like doing unpleasant things, like spending massive amounts of money with no short-term reward unless forced to do so?

The problem is that Britain does spend all that money, it just goes down a giant drain labelled "grift" and meanwhile there's no money to prevent the outbreak of rickets in the young population or solve that the UK has the shortest, weakest children in Europe due to malnutrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

"+" being overloaded for both addition and string concatenation would almost make sense

VENI SIXFIVEHUNDREDANDONE SIXONEHUNDREDANDONE