Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mikl posted:

Instead, consumers found their money transfered, unbeknownst to them, from savings accounts to bonds.

I sincerely hope the bankers are going to jail for this. Don't know how likely that is to happen though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

lost in postation posted:

That's a very unfair interpretation of what's being said here. Saying that a functional democracy was unlikely in a country that the US have considered their backyard for decades and in which they have repeatedly intervened by force to install regimes favourable to their interests isn't really "domino theory" in any sense.

And again, that doesn't in any way excuse the crimes of the Castro regime.

It's almost as if bullshit such as the US overthrowing democratic governments that they consider "too left" always leads to more bullshit such as Castro saying "no, gently caress YOU" and doing a full counter-overthrow into a different kind of bloody dictatorship.

The most depressing example of this kind of thing is probably the Soviet Union, where the Russian Empire was a total monarchy and the Czar happened to be a complete retarded oval office, so the rebelling peasants kind of naturally gravitated towards Lenin and his "no, we'll kill YOU" ideology and, yeah.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

Something about this image seems wrong. I know Munich, because people in the Germany-thread keep talking about it and because it and its insanely high rents keep showing up in German media. How exactly is this "relative"-income calculated that Munich is put so far above the other German cities if your average income in Munich basically only gets you a closet nowadays? Is your living space not part of someone's "quality of life"?

This unexplained outlier makes me doubt all the other data, too.

I'm not sure about these particular statistics but I do know that e.g. inflation statistics often don't take into account rent or mortgage or things of that nature, which is obviously a massive distortion. It seems like a combination of "hard to compare since there are so many factors" and "let's not include rents here because otherwise normal people would realise they're getting poorer all the time"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Wasn't it the case that inside the EU there used to be two strong neoliberal countries, UK and Netherlands, who were successfully hindering any and all initiatives that would make sense such as cracking down on tax havens?

The UK successfully banished itself already, and maybe after NLexit happens, the EU might in theory become better... well ok fine, yes, but let me dream

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Herman Merman posted:

Opposing migration when you perceive it negatively affects your living standards does not make you racist, only somewhat selfish. And that describes a majority of the working class electorate. If you're unwilling or unable to provide some kind of convincing assurance to these voters that their needs are your top priority, they will not vote for you. Why should they?

Yeah, this.

I'd also say, if y'all think the current situation with migration is bad, you ain't seen loving nothing yet. The climate wars are guaranteed to heat up again in the near-to-mid-term, and even the mildest instance of them so far, a mere one million refugees into the EU in 2015, caused so much meltdown and bullshit in the EU that holy moly. What will happen when we get ten million? Fifty million?

It would be really, really nice to have some kind of reasonable political force in existence that both presents some kind of non-terrible plan for dealing with mass migration and also is not 100% fascist, but I've no idea how to square this circle. The closing of borders is not something that's easy to do while also actually caring about people (on our side of the border). Unfortunately the fascists have an advantage here and I'm not even sure this is really solvable.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Germany has been weird about the whole austerity and schwarze null thing for about a hundred years, it's not caused by the Euro or anything.

The various debt ceiling laws and directives (which Germans love) have also done stupid amounts of damage in the last decades, I'm not sure how exactly this relates to the Euro though or if it's more of political EU thing.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Probably shouldn't do a Mitteleuropa plan if the aim is to avoid Brexitish claims that the EU is a fourth reich.

Are you claiming someone still cares about what British brexiters think about anything? :v:

Well ok, maybe you're talking about AfD etc instead... ok now I'm sad :smith:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

true.spoon posted:

I was bored enough to try to look up what she actually said but it turned out to be pretty annoying. The original interview is surprisingly difficult to find and literally every article concentrates on the same three snippets. The one interpreted as "students should be prepared for a war" seems to be "Die Gesellschaft muss sich insgesamt gut auf Krisen vorbereiten - von einer Pandemie über Naturkatastrophen bis zum Krieg." (Society overall has to prepare itself well for crisis events - ranging from a pandemic to natural disasters up to war.). A rather uncharitable interpretation of a fairly bland statement.

Yeah this is like the least surprising turn of events ever. Media. :jerkbag:

In other EU news, Guardian reports that there's some worry apparently about Slovakia becoming more putinist: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/19/slovakia-russia-presidential-election

In Slovakia the recently elected prime minister Fico is a "Putin-understander", and now there's going to be a presidential election this weekend, with one of the two frontrunners apparently another Russia fan. I don't know much about this but I wonder how worried we should be.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Well there is International English which excludes Britishisms and Americanisms. You encounter it regularly in the Commonwealth.

Hmm, I don't think so I quite know what this is. Could you give few examples

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

a wholesale crusade against the english language would be one thing which could make me rethink my contempt of the EU as a project

Ihan hyvä ajatus, mutta mikäs kieli sen tilalle sitten? Ei väldesti helppoa saavuttaa yhteisymmärrystä tästä imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
In many countries Iraq was completely, 100% different from Afghanistan. The biggest ever demonstration in Finland was against the idiotic invasion of Iraq. Meanwhile Afghanistan was just a background thing which we helped with, even though Finland wasn't in Nato at that time.

Of course in some unfortunate countries they did both.