Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's going on with Spain ATM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do you guys think about the Swiss Basic income vote today?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is there any particular reason to vote no other than 'gently caress Renzi'?
I mean if you were Italian I can see it being a powerful motivators but could someone walk me through why a yes result would be bad?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

There are, not that most of the no side has enough political competence to understand that.

It's a conjunction between the constitutional reform and the electoral law. The executive in Italy lives and dies on the parliament's confidence. At any time either the Chamber or the Senate may have a vote of no confidence on the government. If it passes, current government goes down and a new one has to be nominated. This is mitigated by the fact that if the chambers can't find a government they're satisfied with, it's new elections time.
As you may know, Italian governments have a meidum duration of around 1 year instead of the natural 5; this setup is why, even before getting into poo poo like when the 2001 Berlusconi government deliberately sabotaged the electoral law to make Prodi's victory in 2006 short-lived.

The new electoral law, the "Italicum", seeks to stabilize the executive by giving absolute majority (55% to be exact) of the chamber to the party that wins the election, party chosen by having the top 2 parties in the election go to a runoff voting round.
By stripping the senate of its power to have a vote of no confidence, this would make governments fairly stable.

However, the constitutional reform goes a lot further in diminishing the senate's power, basically turning it into an empty shell, without basically any kind of legislative power. The risk then is dictatorship of the majority where a party has strong control of both the legislative of the executive, except said majority is a 20-25% relative majority (the 3 top parties in Italy are around that number).

Now, those musings where pointing me to a no vote around 1 year ago, except a simple observation trumps those: "The perfect is the enemy of the good".
It's at least 20 loving years we talk here in Italy of the necessity of reforming our constitution, especially removing the perfectly symmetrical bicameralism; everyone, and I mean everyone, agrees that the senate shouldn't be able to make the executive die. And yet, mysteriously, every single time someone makes a serious proposal for constitutional reform there's always some excuse to shoot it down.
gently caress them.
It's quite clear that the 5 star movement and most of of the no side have actually no intention of doing something for the malaise that is affecting Italy.

Also, first exit polls data are out. No is at +10 to +18. Goddammit Renzi, why did you have to say you'd resign if the Yes didn't pass.

This was really helpful, thanks. :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Wait, does Estonia have an independence movement? Apart from their ongoing campaign for independence from Russia, I mean.

Russians in nerva?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It wasn't just old as gently caress, it was really badly designed by a guy who built dozens of similarly terrible bridges all over the place. Maintenance of the cables is expensive bordering on impossible because the designer never heard of redundancy and put in the bare amount of cables needed to hold the load. In a sane design there's plenty of excess so that you can simply take messed up ones and have the rest hold up til they can be replaced.

Holy poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

The only thing that ever penetrated my American awareness was Melenchon arguing that France had no complicity in the crimes of Vichy France and German collaborators, but that's admittedly kind of a murky issue that's probably got a lot of domestic implications I'm not in a position to understand. Also tied to Israeli relations, which is its own can of worms.
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/melenchon-slams-macron-for-accepting-french-complicity-in-holocaust-1.5431187

I'd also be interested in learning more about Melenchon and the French left as a whole.

... what the gently caress?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gervasius posted:

At local level trouncing was even harder, in some Zagreb city districts Mozemo! has 10 out of 15 councilors, with us having the most votes in 16 out of 17 districts, and a majority in 12 out 17.

Also, hello from a new local councilor.

How does Croatia govern their towns? Here in America we have a variety of municipal government types and I'm curious if that also applies in other countries.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The cube is a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the first thing Macron is likely to do with this mandate?