Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

It's probably just arguing about semantics, but Germany is not "pro-austerity". The post war government and societal consensus has always been just bog-standard Keynesian economics and the government never had a problem turning on the public debt hose during any of the last few economic crises. I don't know if there are still any genuinely pro-austerity governments left in the world. I think that whole idea died out after WW2.

Why does this line of thinking persist? The article that began this outlines Germany's obsession with austerity.

quote:

This is no accident: it is precisely what a Constitutional debt brake is designed to do: prevent fiscal deficits from swelling for contingent political reasons and instead forcing them to shrink. In attempting to shield public finances from political influences, this mechanism denies the inherently political character of any fiscal policy and depicts austerity as a neutral, good bookkeeping practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

I'm sorry but these extortion tactics makes the EU look like a mafia syndicate.

"Nice economy you get there. It'd be a real shame if something were to happen to it.".

What do you think the EU is?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean sure, Napoleon was a dictator and killed a whole lot of folks, but

Oh, you mean the other Europeans. Yeah, those folks were loving grim.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Zivilschutz includes things like spotting misinformation on social media.

So aggroposting on SA would count? What won't German engineers perfect

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is austerity considered a natural disaster?

By definition, it's man-made :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

All the continental languages have been subsumed by English. An artefact of the Cold War, but here we are all the same.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It isn’t helped by Usanian cultural collonialism.

Yes, this was one of the avenues in the Cold War. They even made it a win condition in the Civ games

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

that one I don't mind, makes things easier, just standardise on one second language for everyone everywhere and if it bleeds into the first language then whatever

lol, good luck with that, Finland will be sending one MEP from the "must have Swedish as a second language" party until Russia genocides everything east of Paris

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Languages are like diseases, once you get one you can't shake it. I can't help but hear English now, I often think and even dream in it, and I lament how my national broadcasting company succumbs to giving no shits about my language and giving precedence, even scholarly status, to "finglish".

None of this will stop the Germans, of course, but on the negative side, at least we wiped out a lot of the marginal European ethnic barriers.

holds hand to ear I'm being told we still have major European ethnic barriers, and that Germany is fighting tooth and nail to keep Russia happy

Oh.

Well, good job EU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's ironic that The Invisibles was written in English. But at least we'll always have :umberto:

Though that implies learning a different language, too. PERKELE!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen.

Auf de heide bluht ein kleines blumelein, und das heisst, Kaarina

Which I suppose proves the point, but I still wouldn't expect anyone to learn Finnish just for the sake of being polite

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

jaete posted:

Ihan hyvä ajatus, mutta mikäs kieli sen tilalle sitten? Ei väldesti helppoa saavuttaa yhteisymmärrystä tästä imo

Suomi olisi epäämättä paras kieli, koska se saisi ruotsalaiset tolaltaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Swedish empire, come to glory at last