Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Orange Devil posted:

Some people are protesting in NL now too. A spokeswoman on the radio yesterday listed their demands:

1. Immediate resignation of the PM
2. An end to the right-left divide in politics, which is caused by the government
3. More social housing
4. Lowering of fuel taxes

I'm all for a pan-European protest movement, but I'm so loving confused by these demands.

In the east they were additionally protesting (according to their online supporters) against immigration and for Black Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Orange Devil posted:

People immigrate towards the east?

Well not specifically, but when did a proper knucklehead ever get deterred by reality? Being scared of foreigners does negatively correlate with being exposed to them, after all.

But all that aside, towns like Enschede and Nijmegen do see their fair share of immigrants simply by virtue of attracting thousands and thousands of international students, even after discounting all the Germans who move over from across the border. Internationals often report trouble getting into Dutch clubs and social circles, so you have a number of cool and good expat associations. If you set that against the size of these cities you can see why these demographics are so visible: the universities and associated startup centers and connected institutes are about as big as the rest of the city proper. And thus some parts of these towns feel just as cosmopolitan as the big cities. If you get all :argh: about foreign people and their weird exotic food that has spices in it yeah you might not like that.

(I think the best thing that I've heard was a gammon accusing foreign PhD students accusing them of just coming to the Netherlands to claim glorious benefits -- from Germany and Norway of all places)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Forcible relocate everyone into the cities, except for people directly supporting agricultural production, and turn as much land as possible into national parks. Ban any vehicle powered by fossil fuels.

Also please bring back Brutalism

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Due to a job change I have to commute pretty far right now. If fuel were to become excessively expensive I would certainly look at relocating or using public transport. In fact I would gladly live closer to work right now because commuting isn't usually something that you do for funsies.

The trouble is that even though I have an okay salary I am not able to afford a house closer to work because house prices are again on a crazy hike. Public transport is very impractical for my commute. So you can totally squeeze more money out of me by taxing me more but it won't have any sort of effect on my behaviour. I wouldn't be surprised if it would even lock people into their situation by taking away the money they'd need for a house.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

House as in housing, but I mean home in general. I'm a proud Communist Urban High Rise dweller.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

In case you are not being sarcastic: every larger city in Germany has a city owned housing company. These companies provide very high quality housing at a very low price(They basically rent at cost) They are extremely popular and waiting lists are so long that in can take many years to even get offered an apartment. But construction of new apartments has mostly stopped due to ideological reasons and lots of them were sold off during the 90s. Why not start expanding these companies again? Look, I'm not asking for the gulags back here. It's a small thing we used to do back in the 60s and 70s all the time. And it doesn't even cost the taxpayer anything ffs.

Also, social housing. Yeah, it has its own share of problems but gently caress it's better than nothing cause nothing is what you get with the free market. People becoming homeless and sleeping on the street or in mass shelters. This is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Boy you'll love the Netherlands, where every bigger city has waiting lists exceeding a decade for social housing and buying a house requiers you to bid at least 10% above asking price.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just lol If Daddy didn't buy you a flat in Paris so you can smugly lecture others about how unnecessary fuel is

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

That seems like an unfair assessment of the SPD's achievements.

It doesn't even mention how they hosed up social security, private retirement savings and sat on stopping criminal cum-ex tax fraud. Oh, and the one time they tried to protect child brides by removing their residency and alimony entitlements.

Do I recall correctly that a couple of years ago, elections were so close that a left red red green coalition held a narrow majority? And when one of the smaller parties suggested to use that opportunity to push through some laws that all left parties wanted, the SPD pussied out because :decorum: it might have hurt their chances at being the junior partner in a coalition?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

double nine posted:

I just can't get over how tacky the council chambers look

It probably looked really neat when it was fresh. Now it looks tacky. In 100 years it'll be a treasured and stately antique.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

i mean imagine the kind of privilege you gotta have to behave like that and people just accept it. must be sweet

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sereri posted:

They really outdid themselves in 2000

Lived very close to that for a while. Like entirely not in the same time period but still. Neighbourhood is pretty hip now. For Enschede, that is :colbert:

Unfun fact: I was told by a resident that at the time, pretty were pissed because the German TV news stations from far away arrived before the Dutch stations, allegedly indicating that no one in the big Dutch cities gave a rat's rear end about the town.

What also happened is that a bunch of German firefighters, medical personnel, and emergency helpers showed up very quickly. But they had no clue what to do and how to help. This has spurred bilateral emergency coordination to a degree that supposedly makes cross-border cooperation almost effortless, with Dutch and German personnel being able to intervene and help on either side of the border with practically no delay at all. At least that's what EUREGIO printed.

Some choice pictures:

Videos on YouTube also show footage from a camera crew slowly driving through the neighbourhood. It seriously looks like WWII footage.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 2, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Orange Devil posted:

That's unethical. It might cause a child to interact with him.

Yes, children love Pennywise the Clown

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wanna make a wordplay on McMansion, but can't figure it out. McMacedonia? McEdonia? McClassicism? McParliament? :shrug:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The way I learned is that if you want free trade for services, you also need free movement for people (who may want to move around in the common market to perform their services).

Iirc the UK want free movement for goods and services but not people. This is problematic because the UK has a comparatively large financial service sector. This would be an arrangement that would favor the UK above all other countries so it really can't be done.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

suck my woke dick posted:

"These are difficult and complex issues which have to be considered in a level of detail you, actual children, cannot understand."

"Counterpoint, we do understand how guillotines work"

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

suck my woke dick posted:

But given that Brexit voters will be among the people suffering worst, it's morbidly funny.

No it's not. Whatever satisfaction you hope to get will be frustrated because all the bad stuff that will happen won't be blamed on the Brexiteers but on minorities and foreigners.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

double nine posted:

this whole continent needs to :thermidor: the ruling parties' elected officials dear lord.

again, dear secret service member, hyperbole

One of these two statements was meant ironically

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So we have a free trade agreement with Japan now. What's some cool stuff we'll be able to buy now? Will asian super markets get cheaper as well?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cat Mattress posted:

Luigi di Mario

Confusing search results

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Behold the light of the five stars that is reflected off our yellow jackets

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Truga posted:

It's absolutely shameful that allies, even in their march to victory, killed probably millions of civilians in various warcrimes, and yet somehow, nobody was hanged at Nuremberg for that poo poo.

But there's also that thing, where literal fash has no right in publicly bringing up these massacres under any circumstance, because if it weren't for their fash friends 100 years ago, these massacres wouldn't have occurred in the first place. They treated people like inhuman slaves, they started a war so they could treat more people like slaves, then the situation blew up in their faces. For a while they were *really* quiet about it, but now that everyone appears to have :decorum: poisoning as forkboy properly pointed out, they're coming out of the woodwork, crying about how they've been mistreated all this time, by gaslighting people with human rights and free speech bullshit.

:pedophiles:

Yeah :same:

All the things that the fash nations suffered late during and after the war were pretty much a direct consequence of them launching an absolutely barbaric genocide on their neighbors

Like, I'm sure Belarusians would have had a nicer opinion of the Germans hadn't the Germans brutally torture-killed a loving third of Belarus

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Orange Devil posted:

It would kill the Netherlands in many different exciting ways simultaneously, some of which nobody has even thought of yet!

Cool so it will definitively not happen

*packs boxes to move back out of the country in preparation of nexit*

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 22, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

mumble mumble joke about Belgian schoolkids and pedophiles mumble mumble

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Opferwurst posted:

European elections are considered a joke and barely one step above Eurovision in the public mind so nobody gives a poo poo

Start taking things seriously instead of letting fashs take over everywhere because no one ever cares

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

caps on caps on caps posted:

There is no trade deal. UK is third country. There, sorted.

Which is an undesirable situation for everyone, so it gets put back right in your desk

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

At my office people were discussing whether voting for VVD was supporting mafia like corrupt power structures before concluding eh gently caress it lets vote VVD

Kill me

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AceOfFlames posted:

Now he Dutch press is blaming Baudets win on the climate accords. gently caress everything.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/03/is-something-seriously-wrong-with-dutch-politics-the-papers-on-forums-win/

Yeah, there recently was a poll on my local newspaper. In it, ~2/3 of the respondents expressed that they didn't want to pay for any sort of climate action. In a country where likewise, 2/3 of the landmass is below sea level. Sheeeesh.

An insane mind posted:

Thanks for the clarification, but god do we need an actual leftist paper.

Imo De Correspondent is worth reading very often. It's appears very thoroughly researched and their articles come with lots of footnotes and direct links to source and reference material. But you need to either cough up or have someone share their stuff.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 22, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Osmosisch posted:

They have some good writers but the organisation as a whole is very white dudebro. I'm a member but am reconsidering. Especially Rutget Bregman is extremely irritating with his superficial just-so stories.

In the meantime I really like One world and Follow the Money for leftist perspective and fact-based investigative journalism respectively.

FTM seems cool thanks for that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yes

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's a good alternative for VAT, in general?

Wikipedia tells me that sales tax largely works the same. Am I missing something?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fat Samurai posted:

Not if you finance the car, then you can consider VAT a expenditure that you spread over the life of the loan, by transforming the entire thing into sort of a rental. Alternatively, annual depreciation of the car (an asset) will mean less taxes anyways (that's the expenditure, not the initial purchase), although this isn't related to VAT in particular.

*Based on an nebulous memory of an accounting class like 10 years ago.

brb, registering small company

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

How is it too difficult for the store to print gross prices

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah I mean if the UK step down from the commission and other organs, their squabbles can't do any damage at the European level. Well none that can't be avoided by moving business out of the UK at least. In that constellation they can delay perpetually for all I care, the longer they're in the market without loving things up, the better.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

https://twitter.com/MJKIndependent/status/1116302386082009089

This will not at all make things complicated in Spain

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kurtofan posted:

saw a dog turd on a bollard once

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > EU Politics: the European Union - saw a dog turd on a bollard once

e: snipe!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Blut posted:

Any of the Brexit hardliner leader pretenders with a Tory majority behind them, with the UK remaining in the EU, are a far higher damage risk to the EU in the medium term than Orban. Or anyone in Denmark. Orban at least keeps his right wing insanity mostly within his own borders. You British people keep trying to mess things up for the rest of the continent by exporting yours.

Hard Brexit, a British economic collapse that finally exposes the lies of the last 30 years of the Tories to the British public, and a grovelling Britain rejoining the EU in a decade or so with no special snowflake exemptions is the best long term result for everybody here.

No a collapse wouldn't expose any of the lies. People would immediately blame minorities and interference from the EU. There is no winning move.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Junior G-man posted:

There's literally an explanatory video on how to do it in the article quoted.

You don't unless you're already have a powerful network of shady people with money. The entire scheme is about siphoning off as much money as possible before the house of cards inevitably collapses. Unless you have like false identities and/or a way to launder the money, eventually the state is knocking on your door. Your only shield is how many layers of obfuscation and middlemen there are between you and the tax people.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Voat

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

PVV is for Nazis who like slager

Baudet is for Nazis who like Wagner

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cingulate posted:

MRI is very far away from any kind of sufficiently specific and sensitive diagnostic. However, filtering out sociopaths would only remove those who'd do evil or harm for selfish reasons, not those who do them out of, for example, empathy or cold calculations in favour of greater good ideologies.

I think we should just stick with democracy for now.

Just bias the classifier to have a 100% hit rate, disregarding false alarms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Trading Juncker for von der Leyen is like trading Yelzin for Putin