Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, I read a comment. Let me translate it.

quote:

I'd be in favour of Sebastian Kurz as a candidate for the chancellery. He is fairly popular in the CDU after all. Granted, an Austrian as the head of government would be a certain novelty, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

PT6A posted:

The Germans are probably just stunned by the fact that anyone managed to actually build an airport, completely, and have it operate. Buying airports for them, I assume, would be like paying a wizard because you don't want to be on the bad side of their unknowable powers.

It is probably cheaper to buy an airport somewhere else, disassemble it, and reassemble it near Berlin.

I don't fly a lot, but I kind of like the Vienna airport and its direct connection to Vienna. Checking in your luggage in the city and taking a short train to the airport is pretty cool. We should buy it and move it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Macht Deutschland wieder…groß?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Squalid posted:

i have a link to a truly terrible "Europe" themed discord

everybody there is a racist 15 year old

That is the core Discord demographic, yes. Did the Gamer branding not tip you off?

Pretty sure even Reddit is less consistently racist than Discord nowadays.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Cicero posted:

Isn't there a further right one in Germany that's basically literal nazis rather than nazis lite?

That's a distinction without a difference. The AfD cannibalised all the voters of the NPD. The state tried to ban the NPD, which failed because the state's security apparatus had funnelled so much money and personnel into the NPD it was hard to tell which who was "organic" and who was an informant. A court then ruled that while the NPD wants to destroy democracy, they don't pose a credible threat (a condition for banning a party). Mostly because Nazis vote AfD nowadays…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Once they've run out of three-letter sequences the Nazis will finally be vanquished.

Eh, they can just go to five letter sequences. Back to the roots and all…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

EU English is already a thing with its own developing vocabulary, by the way.

Erasmus is a pretty cheap project to get young people to take an extended stay in a different European country and form connections there. Any direct academic benefit is entirely secondary (though it has secondary academic benefits, of course). It's a project in the same vein as giving young people Eurail passes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I do not think it is possible to explain Brexit without making it sound like one is embellishing it to make it sound stupid, while at the same time even trying to make it sound extra stupid does not come even close to how stupid it actually is.

There is a fractal nature to it:

The lead up to the referendum itself was stupid. It was borne out of a culture of blaming all woes, real or imagined, on the EU. That included things the UK itself had created, or that were actually desirable. The famous bendy bananas is a case of industry desiring handy descriptors for produce and the body overseeing a gigantic customs union creating those categories. This is normal and good, but within the UK media this routine arrangement is portrayed as bureaucratic overreach. So there is an insane arrangement where everything the UK creates in the EU is automatically seen as bad within the UK domestic polity.

The referendum itself was insanely stupid. At that point nobody had articulated a positive vision of what a hypothetical Brexit would look like. There were lots of disparate promises, many at odds with each other, most at odds with material and (geo)political reality. All of these contradictory promises were united under the "let's gently caress poo poo up" banner because the referendum was binary, gently caress poo poo up or perhaps not gently caress poo poo up. Of course, that would leave a victory for leave without any actionable mandate, as it would immediately splinter is dozens of disparate groups.

Even after the referendum, there was never a national discourse about what concrete form of Brexit the UK should pursue. They instead wasted an incredible amount of time on domestic power struggles. They even initiated the procedure of leaving the EU without a concrete plan. I can not stress how insanely stupid it is to enter into the necessary negotiations to leave thousands of bilateral agreements and create new ones without a clearly defined plan and strong mandate at home. It is expecially insanely mega stupid to enter into these negotations without a plan when the procedure stipulated a time limit. They made their position weaker without any upside whatsoever. Why did they do this? Because May was under internal pressure to appeal to Brexit purists despite such action weakening the UK's negotiation position.

And just to contrast this with the EU side: They had a grand meeting, they managed to come up with a mandate, an envelope for negotiations, assembled a team of Top Men and Women, and were ready to go. Any internal dissent was kept fairly quiet.

Meanwhile, everything the UK did before, during and after the negotiations was entirely with an eye to the UK domestic audience and party power struggles. These struggles continued for years during the negotiations; these struggles continue now even.

I could go on about all the :psyduck: of Brexit but I think it would soon devolve into me losing my mind as I dredge up all the memories of all the stupid things that happened during the past years. Just listing all the Express headlines would make me lose my mind, but I'd have to go there to really drive home how delusional their thinking is.

And one of those things is that they apparently don't know everyone in the EU can read their press. I guess because ordinary British can't read the Süddeutsche or Le Monde, they think Barnier can't read The S*n?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I think it makes more sense if you think of the entire Brexit process as a UK domestic issue. It isn't actually about the EU in a real sense, and it isn't about the UK's relationship to it. It is about a fictional entity also called the EU as constructed by the UK press and politicians as a scapegoat and outside force, all within the context of a cult of purity within the Tories.

That's why they don't get that their newspapers are read abroad, because "abroad" isn't really a consideration. Brexit is entirely framed as a domestic, unilateral issue in spite of the fact that the UK's relationship to the entire rest of the world changed. In that context it makes sense why they didn't understand why breaking an international treaty via domestic regulation was seen as bad. After all, Brexit is a domestic issue.

I expect "Brexit" to continue. It was never aimed at the EU as it exists in reality, so it's inherently more malleable to rail against.

Hey, let's see what the British think.

quote:

Gibraltar power-grab: Spain sparks fury as it claims only THEY can decide who enters Rock

quote:

Watch out, Macron! UK deploys GUNSHIPS to Channel in huge fishing warning to EU

quote:

Elites DEFEATED! Brexiteer says Von der Leyen's speech shows EXACTLY why UK voted leave

quote:

Frexit NOW! Macron issued huge warning France should leave 'paralysing and ruinous EU'

quote:

Obama humiliated as Donald Trump beats him to America's most admired man of 2020

Ils sont fous, ces anglais…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'd struggle to put a snappy, positive remain argument on the side of a bus as well tbh.
Not because I can't come up with any, but because none can really be condensed down into a one-liner. Except perhaps for why Schengen is great, but the UK already didn't agree with me there so :shrug:

Or how having a generally positive relationship with neighbours is good, actually, and things can actually improve from a position of mutual trust, but again, the UK polity does not agree with me at all. They don't even agree with the rest of the world on the power differential between the UK and everyone else. How do you convince someone that no, actually, the UK doesn't have that much power on its own when you need them to realise this premise to understand the argument of teaming up with other countries to pool power?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's typically not a wise idea to deep link to documents like that. The attachment was updated and thus the link changed with it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They are also much more fash than Germany or Switzerland, and moving towards Hungary fast.

Like, their entire government, top to bottom, is corrupt as gently caress. Even more brazenly than CDU/CSU in Germany.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Do note that living in Portugal but working for a US company without a local office, i.e. not paying taxes in Portugal, not paying into retirement, social services, health insurance, is something I can't recommend. Well, they wouldn't let you stay anyway.

Schengen access is pretty rad though. I'll give the liberals credit for that and building lots of new train tracks. Night trains are making a bit of a comeback, so post-pandemic travelling is getting better. Board a train in the evening in Lisbon, wake up in Madrid or southern France. It's such a chill way of travelling.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

aren't iberian rails a hosed up gauge for some ungodly reason? idk if that means you'd have to get up in the middle of the night as you pass into france though, i'm not that much of a train person

That night train ends in a French border town (Hendaye), from there you can go via TGV. Afaik there are plans for better rail integration especially in that area.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If the CDU/CSU manages to gently caress up their own party enough it could be her:

And honestly, yeah, why not. I'd like someone more left wing, but the greens are at least offering some kind of positive vision for the future.

Also, once ACAB is Chancellor we can finally put SUV drivers against the wall if they don't convert to bicycle.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Greens are part of 11 out of 16 state governments right now, though they only lead one. (And that one doesn't count).

I don't think their scope is all that narrow. From "wouldn't it be nice if cities were actually nice to live in" to "wouldn't it be great if we stopped sabotaging and killing our own renewables industry and in fact did the opposite" and "wouldn't it be good if we zoned multi-storey apartments instead of single detached houses in cities", they have a pretty wide range.

But most importantly, they can credibly claim they want to actually _do_ something, which is a lot more the current coalition can offer.

Also, I just checked and they list trans rights under human rights and want to do some sweeping reforms, which is criminally overdue. The situation in Germany is an embarassment.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 20, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't think the Greens are going to need permission from a Kleinpartei :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They’re a single-issue party, their only policy shutting down nuclear in favor of coal.

Or was that the CDU?

That it indeed the CDU.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Schröder was bad, but unlike Kiesinger he was not a Nazi.

I would've gone with Kohl otherwise since he was a corrupt piece of poo poo, but at least Kohl was not literally an NSDAP member. And had other redeemable qualities around unification (both of Germany and of European nations).

Best would be Brandt, perhaps? I'm not used to thinking of any chancellor as "good".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bar graph snipe:

Percentage of representatives who answered when asked whether they had accepted donations.

Volume of donations per party.

Who thinks the rules for disclosing donations: are sufficient (blue), did not answer this question (grey), insufficient (red).

I guess I don't have to mention it, but… CDU/CSU are corrupt top to bottom.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

When it comes to nuclear energy, a lot of people suddenly trust capitalism.

Also, fun reminder: There is no storage solution for the waste. Spent fuel is currently sitting on site and will become the taxpayer's problem since the companies have extracted the money already. Waste is being excavated from Asse II, also with tax money, after being dumped there with little oversight.

And of course there's an inconvenient fact that despite CDU/CSU sabotaging both domestic solar and wind whenever they could, nuclear is more expensive despite heavy subsidies.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just dump it in a desert mine.

Germany, famous for its deserts and its geologically stable mines.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

How exactly? Nobody takes that waste voluntarily now and I don't see that changing in the future.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Randarkman posted:

The volume of spent fuel is grossly exaggerated

That's grossly misleading. I know people love pretending the volume of waste is tiny, by ignoring all the waste that isn't fuel.

There are currently 125 787 barrels of low radioactive waste (but frequently toxic) and >16 100 medium radioactive waste barrels (that includes 13 000 mystery barrels that were not declared) sitting underground in an unstable, leaking salt mine that all have to be excavated because the corrupt poo poo heels running that operation decided to ignore all expert advice. Paid, of course, not by the companies that created that waste.

So, once again, I ask: Where is that waste to be stored? This needs an actual answer, not hand waving and pretending it doesn't exist, or pretending other countries will find a solution and take it off Germany's hands.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

a hundred and fifty thousand barrels is objectively not that much waste. this is absolutely a question for which an answer can and will be found if there's any interest in it

Well, I have bad news for you then.

V. Illych L. posted:

maybe, but what's happening in northern europe is going to start reflecting on the continent and it's a much more consistent with general Green doctrine. of course, in countries with high anti-nuclear sentiment the process will be slower, but the people green parties can realistically win tend to be more pro-nuclear than the general population

The only pro nuclear people in Germany are voting for the Nazi party or are taking massive kickbacks from the nuclear industry.

The real solution, which could be implemented if aforementioned corrupt pieces of poo poo in the CDU/CSU could be kept from power for a decade or two, is a massive expansion of energy transit infrastructure along with investments in off- and onshore wind power. Right now CDU/CSU are extremely invested in keeping coal alive and will gleefully destroy domestic renewables (see: Germany's solar industry that used to be world leading). Germany has already wasted two decades and none of the fission or fusion pipe dreams have any chance of becoming a reality before the grid has to be carbon neutral.

And also, cut Bavaria from Germany. They don't want hydro, they don't want nuclear, they don't want wind, and they don't want transit infastructure. Let them figure it out on their own.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Railing against the EU as if it were some autonomous behemoth subjugating those poor countries is hilariously out of touch with reality. Stop mythologising the EU, it makes it sound so much cooler than what it actually is.

The EU exists because the geopolitical situation makes it necessary. It is a really thin law golem put on top and vested with a very limited set of powers because its constituent countries want it to be that way.

You can fantasise about all the sunlit uplands you want but you're doing so in a reality where a fractured Europe gets pulled immediately into the American, Chinese, and Russian sphere of influence and looted for scraps.

Baudolino posted:

I tougth you lefties were supposed to be against modern imperalism, was i misinformed?

:jerkbag:

The European left, fractured as it is, has its own problems with the EU. It is, after all, a bourgeois project through and through. They do, however, seldom enjoy the privileges of the American Twitter left to pontificate about the EU without actually being personally affected.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's a lot of words to say "I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm just jaqing off for a few paragraphs".

You know you can read the Maastricht Treaty, right?

Rappaport posted:

The EU is there, and leaving it, as per Brexit, is a nightmare, so therefore we must all accept that the EU is there, despite its flaws, and since there is no escaping, because they will render unto you economical ruin if you do!

This Brexiteer framing is hilarious. Exiting agreements that were designed to reduce friction, specifically rejecting any and all multilateral agreements that reduce friction, then framing it as an evil plot when friction returns. It's so breathtakingly intellectually dishonest.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm far from an expert on Hungary and Poland, but as far as I know the pattern there mirrors countries like Germany. It's a generation of old people loving over younger generations on as many fronts as possible. The culture war bullshit that PiS and Fidesz are peddling to boomers mirrors that of the CDU/CSU/FDP/AfD in Germany and the only difference is in intensity.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't this largely just result in them settling in their new, more progressive, home? While their home countries become the home of losers and reactionaries, further strengthening the divide? You see the same thing happening within countries.

There is some brain drain, but afaik that process has slowed as those countries have cought up economically. One part of the German soft power approach assumes that people who return home after studying in the country keep a connection to Germany and that this is broadly a positive thing. And people do return especially since it's pretty easy to move around the EU. Work a few years in Germany, return to Poland, or work a few years in Austria and return to Hungary.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They are also doing things like having senior members call for not voting for them, or going to the media to talk how awful the party is while being the Spitzenkandidat. There are a lot of power struggles going on within that party and it's not doing them any favours.

And Lafontaine going to the FAZ, a conservative newspaper, to whine about wind turbines being bad…

I'd absolutely vote for a Gysi Linke, but he's not leading the party…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's a weird post tbh.

The German army is pretty well equipped and its readiness is completely fine for a peace time army. It is equipped as a defensive army to counter an equivtech opponent, so having a chaingun to light up reporters and children isn't really required on a helicopter.

It isn't set up to fight wars of aggression, but that's fine by me.

What's not fine is the endemic corruption of the CDU/CSU that has resulted in horrific mismanagement with private suppliers of replacement parts, but that's CDU/CSU for you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Blut posted:

The idea that you can selectively aim at body parts on a moving, possibly dangerous, target is only ever spouted by people who've spent too much time playing Call of Duty. In the real world hitting any moving target is hard, people are trained to aim for the center of mass because its the easiest thing to aim for. American police are maniacs because their response to many problems that would be de-escalated by other police forces is to pull out their guns and start firing away, not because of where on the body they're aiming their guns.

And yet German cops often use leg shots to subdue armed targets instead of shooting center mass. Turns out real life differs from the American cop propaganda you love spouting so much.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I feel that "direct shots" are different than "warning shots", reuters, unless policy equates both which hmmmm....

The police in Rotterdam used both warning shots and shots aimed at people.

Though any use of a firearm always leads to an investigation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It looks like some parts of the Dutch anti-vaxx and corona-denier movements have actually been itching for escalations for over a year. The police violence is by no means a good thing, but I sometimes wonder what society can really do about a vocal minority that's increasingly being whipped into a frenzy over idiotic conspiracy theories and is prepared to risk/use violence to press their issues. And it's certainly just not in the Netherlands (see: the Capitol attack in the US).

In Germany they're >50% Nazis (and 10% love to shake hands with Nazis, so hey ho):

And of course they have already murdered in cold blood and tried to storm parliament.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought you were talking about the cops before the part about storming parliament.

There are plenty of Nazis within the ranks of the German police, but not quite to that extend.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It flows naturally from the Verhältnismäßigkeitsgrundsatz (Principle of Proportionality). Since a lot of it is state based and horribly fragmented and hard to access I'll just quote from an old version of the "Bekanntmachung des Bayerischen Staatsministeriums des Innern über den Vollzug des Polizeiaufgabengesetzes", i.e. the Bavarian regulations:

quote:

Regarding Art. 66 (General regulations for the use of firearms)
The use of firearms against people is the ultimate measure of direct coercion. The police officer must therefore carefully examine the necessity and proportionality beforehand.
If the firearm is used against people, it should be aimed at the legs if possible. It must be borne in mind that a missed shot can endanger human life. If a person is to be rendered incapable of escaping, the use of firearms is to be refrained from if the police officer can stop the escaping person without violating other duties by disadvantages or by means of physical force (e.g. service dogs) or by using force against objects.

(That's machine translated because I'm not going to do a proper translation of Behördendeutsch to German to English over an Internet argument)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Germany has more shooting going on, so here's two instances from 2021

quote:

Witnesses reported the incident to the police, who found the man a short time later. The 39-year-old man was holding another bottle with presumably flammable liquid in his hand, "which he was about to set on fire", the reports said. He was also armed with a knife.

After several requests and warning shots, the police officers stopped the man who was approaching them by shooting him in the leg. The man was seriously injured, but not life-threatening. The 39-year-old was arrested and given medical treatment.

quote:

In Hilden, North Rhine-Westphalia, a 31-year-old man allegedly attacked police officers with "a kind of samurai sword". He was then shot in the leg, a police spokesperson said. The man was seriously injured and taken to hospital. However, there was no danger to his life.

The man was sitting on a bench with his sword when the police arrived. According to the Rheinische Post, the man apparently wanted to take his own life.

The police asked him to put down the sword. The man did not do so. Instead, he threatened the officers with a raised sword. The police were still working into the night to secure evidence. The background of the incident is still unclear.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Having read the actual text, sounds good? DNSSEC validating recursive resolver free for use and not Google.

I use my own recursive resolver, but it would be useful elsewhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, that's fine then - because surely there's no way it'll be used to filter things not originally intended.
It definitely didn't happen that way with the Danish DNS filter (which was initially implemented in order to, quite reasonably, filter certain types of pornography that shouldn't even exist), but now gets used to filter whatever the government thinks are harmful drugs as well as AllOfMp3, ThePirateBay, diet pills, online gambling, and probably many other things.

And if that was done on the free offering people would stop using it again.

Any corporate customer using that service will require blacklisting of domains or they'll use another offering.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Extremely sickos.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"We value your privacy" is, of course, them lying to your face.

If they valued your privacy, that popup would not exist.