Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

computer parts posted:

Well, consider it took a Civil War for that to happen in the US.
It also took ignoring the Constitutional Convention's actual mandate to revise the Articles of Confederation:

quote:

The Convention agreed on several principles. Most importantly, they agreed that the Convention should go beyond its mandate merely to amend the Articles of Confederation, and instead should produce a new constitution outright. While some delegates thought this illegal, the Articles of Confederation were closer to a treaty between sovereign states than they were to a national constitution, so the genuine legal problems were limited.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Convention_(United_States)#James_Madison.27s_blueprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

How long until some real numbers come out?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

To me, it feels like there are some weird blind spots in the culture for that, like having your packages handed over to random neighbors if you're not home, or everyone's last names being on the front of their apartment building.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

An insane mind posted:

Why wouldn't you trust a neighbour with a package? Like...wha?
Because sometimes the 'neighbor' is a random person across the street you've never even met before? How does the delivery person know you trust everyone in your general vicinity?

Sure obviously it mostly works, it just seems like a weird presumption that leaving packages for people with random unverified others in their area is universally acceptable.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 25, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Libluini posted:

Also, :lol: no last names on your building? How the gently caress functions the mail system in your country? Are your mail men supposed to find the right address by telepathy? :allears:
Have you never been to other countries before or something? Plenty of places just use a number or letter to designate units within a complex.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Libluini posted:

House numbers? That wouldn't work with more than one family per building.
Jesus Christ, hahahahahaha

It's like Americans who are all "making cars optional in a society? Okay fine for single people, but what about anyone with kids :smug:"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Speaking as an exmo, Mormons don't like it when you publish pictures of magic underwear or text of their temple rituals, but who cares? If they consider it too sacred to share themselves, that's fine of course, but expecting others to care is dumb (even back when they could reasonably be considered a persecuted minority), especially when their religion has many other problematic aspects making it worthy of critique and criticism.

Same reasoning applies to other religions imo.

edit: I remember reading a story in a writing class in high school about "Nipple Jesus", I'm sure there are evangelical Christians that would find this highly offensive, but again, just because a religion hates something doesn't mean the secular world is obliged to respect that

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 29, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

"Irrespective of the religion professed, angry people kill," said the outspoken 95-year-old, who has in the past drawn controversy for remarks attacking Jews and the LGBT community.
This guy sounds like a real gem. Victim blaming: always a good look.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Glah posted:

Of course not all Muslims. Vast majority of Muslims are cool and good. But it is representative of currents of thought in islamic extremism and how those currents affect people willing to behead people in the name Allah. Sadly this is a thing nowadays and we need to take into account when formulating policies.
Finding data on this kind of thing is really hard. So far I've only found one poll: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31293196

quote:

The majority of British Muslims oppose violence against people who publish images depicting the Prophet Muhammad, a poll for the BBC suggests.

The survey also indicates most have no sympathy with those who want to fight against Western interests.

But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

Almost 80% said they had found it deeply offensive when images depicting the Prophet were published.
Granted that's only one country, but it certainly seems like

oliwan posted:

99.9999% of muslims don't care if you draw pictures of Muhammad, hth ops
is probably super, super wrong.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Mahathir Mohamad spent 25 years as the leader of the largest Muslim-majority country on the planet
Pretty sure that's Indonesia, not Malaysia. Malaysia's only like 30m people.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The United States isn't a secular society. Period.
Nah, the US definitely has its own version of secularism. Moving from the states to Germany, that people were less personally religious was anticipated, but I didn't anticipate the extent to which religion was mingled with institutions here. I don't think you'd ever get Americans to accept the tax agency collecting tithes on behalf of religions, especially when it's mandatory if you're officially a member.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nilbop posted:

FOX News are a reprehensible organization, but if they put out something racist (or untrue, or X, Y, Z) they can be, have been and are prosecuted before the law.
A news organization saying something racist isn't against the law. Lying isn't necessarily against the law either (which is part of why they can still exist).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nilbop posted:

In the UK making racist comments on air would be flagged under hate-speech, I'm making the assumption that broadcast racism is similarly prosecuted in the US.
Then you're not properly informed; hate speech is by default legal in the US. It's included as a part of free speech, in the first amendment to the constitution.

There are instances where it can be effectively illegal, but saying something racist on-air isn't one of them, I don't think. At least, not by itself.

edit: actually, if it's on public airwaves that might be different compared to cable/satellite/streaming TV

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 29, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Targeting poor immigrants is bad, but targeting religion is okay.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Glah posted:

Yup, seems like a failure of intelligence services. The killed terrorist was one of the approximately 90 Austrian citizens who had went to Syria to fight for jihadists. This is one of those things where it is tricky to do anything about. Outlaw being a member of extremist organization? But what then?
Put them in jail? It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to me like going to actively fight for a jihadist organization is or ought to be a serious crime?

Shootings tend to be the province of young adult men, so maybe by the time they're out they'll be less likely to be violent?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I just read that. But eight months for (trying to?) fight for ISIS seems...short to me? How long is appropriate for trying to join a murder-y organization like that to go kill people?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What genius made any sort of aid package subject to unanimous agreement
It does feel sort of bizarre.

It's like someone looked at the US Senate and thought, "this is good, but what if we made it even more dysfunctional and non-democratic".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think the US would really give a poo poo.

It's my understanding that the US usually just ignores dual citizenship.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Isn't there a further right one in Germany that's basically literal nazis rather than nazis lite?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Gort posted:

I don't like the idea of tiny member states holding as much power in a house as giant ones. Luxembourg gets a senator, and Germany gets a senator. That's the American senate system, and it's terrible.
It's the American Senate but even worse, as the delta between the biggest and smallest states by population is yet larger.

One person, one vote.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

nimby posted:

In theory, this promotes politicians who consider all of Europe in their proposals.

In practice it'll be German, French, Italian and Spanish interests that get the focus. Those four countries have over half the population and while that should count for something, in effect the other countries will start feeling left out and you're not going to see any decent politicians spending time wrangling the votes of all the 'small' nations without it being on an extremely populist platform.
It's true, democracy involves getting people to vote for you.

Like, you could make the exact same complaint for anything where there's some sort of majority and minority. "Only monogamous interests are accounted for! Nobody cares about the swingers!!" Yeah no poo poo, because there's fewer of them. That's how democracy works.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Baudolino posted:

Proportional representative but with moderate overweigth to the smaller Nations. Legally mandate that each list canidates must be similarly built up. Cant find enough finns to fill out the list? Then you dont get stand for election. I also think 20% of the seats should be reserved for a random selection of regular EU citizens Who may only serve one full period and would be banned from holding elected office for the next 10 years Lets get some bartenders and shop clerks in the room together with all the lawyers and bankers.
How about just using democracy?

I don't understand the obsession with giving extra votes to a certain type of minority: the "I live in a small country/state" minority. Why do they deserve extra votes any more so than any other form of minority, whether that be racial, religious, or whatever?

Most people used to be farmers and now very few are. Farmers often feel neglected. Do we give every farmer 40x the votes to make them feel better?

I understand why some might take these anti-democratic routes for the same of compromise to get smaller countries on board, but in principle it's simply wrong. People's votes shouldn't be worth more or less because of where they live. If they're voting on the same thing, every voter should be equal.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 18, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

If the small states get nothing from joining such a union then they won't join, if they are forced, it will poison the european project.
Yeah. To me it looks like the optimal strategy is that you create the trade union or whatever using correct principles, and if that means initially small countries don't join because they don't get special privileges, so be it. The economic benefits of such a union will likely entice many of them to still join, eventually. Want the benefits? Then play by the same rules as everyone else.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Do you believe chinese voters have a right to determine how you live? It's one person one vote after all.
If I was part of a democratic polity that included China? Yeah of course. How else would you do it? Give the Chinese fewers votes because gently caress 'em, there's too many?

V. Illych L. posted:

the germans all agree on ordoliberalism. there simply is no serious opposition to the idea in germany. if it were up to germany, agricultural subsidies would be totally reworked in such a way as to completely demolish the french countryside (maybe a good thing given how enormous those subsidies are), and that would happen in a franco-german union because the internal consensus in germany couls and would form to that effect

likewise, the french are fairly militaristic. this makes sense in a french historical-political context, but it doesn't in a german historical-political context
So even if you paper over intra-national differences in political outlook, there are a bunch of major countries in Europe with varying interests and attitudes. Great, that's what you want.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's an official language of Malta, but not their first language, from what I understand. Though yeah the fluency rate is very high.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

as an american who has thought about moving to europe and has asked various europeans about how to do it and where to move to, the answer for the last two years has been portugal. apparently they are doing anything and everything to get americans, especially if they are in tech. like, i think they set out a bunch of financial and tax incentives as well.
If you're working remote for an American company (or hell, even a British or German company) that sounds dope. But my understanding is that local salaries for devs in Portugal are quite low.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

American (dev) pay, Portuguese cost-of-living?

That seems like a dream. Don't know where you live in U.S. but if it is a major city you could probably live in central Lisbon and save a ton of money.
Madeira is dope and when I was there I saw advertisements for vacation homes that seemed reasonably priced. Being an out of the way island though, definitely only for some people.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

orange sky posted:

Salaries in Portugal are poo poo anyway so you probably won't go over the 100k limit that you have to pay taxes in the US, so just pay them in Portugal.
In practice even over 100k you don't have to pay taxes in the US since you can count whatever taxes you pay in your residence country against your US tax obligation. So as long as you're in a higher tax country (almost all of the developed world) you won't have to pay any more.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

oh and dont buy houses in lisbon unless you planning to spend somewhere between half to a million on a new development, or near half a million for a century old leaky flat with no elevator

ok, tbf you can still find a one room apartment near downtown for less than 300k
I'm an American in Germany and it seems similar here where rents are reasonable but if you wanna buy anything prices are bugfuck insane, the ratios just seem way off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The whole "Americans are SO DUMB" thing is oversold.

Not that there aren't plenty of dumb Americans, but you'll find idiots anywhere, and there are definitely issues on which Americans do better than average for developed nations (weed is probably one, these days).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's pretty :staredog: the attitudes towards Roma and Muslims.

Wow. Now I want to see comparable numbers for the US (though 'Roma' as a category won't really factor in, and I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in the states).

edit:

So basically 9% negative towards Jews, 30% negative towards Muslims.

From here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm sure the EU will issue a very strongly worded letter in response.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

This post aged well
I'm certainly glad to have been wrong

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That seems pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The delta between unemployment rates for Sweden/EU-born vs non-EU-born in Sweden is hilariously huge: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Migrant_integration_statistics_%E2%80%93_labour_market_indicators

Eyeballing it, it looks like the difference between EU-born and non-EU-born is a bit under 4x, and between Sweden-born and non-EU-born is maybe like 5x.

edit: in contrast, pre-pandemic the unemployment rate for foreign-born in the US was actually lower than for native-born, at 3.1% vs 3.8%, which doesn't seem to have been true for any EU countries.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 2, 2021