Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

A few runs in the paint because my friend didn't have the right size nozzle on his paint gun but on the parts without runs the colour looks great. Most likely I'll sand most of this back to get a better coat on it.

Can't wait to start on the rest of the car, it's going to look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ansith posted:

A few runs in the paint because my friend didn't have the right size nozzle on his paint gun but on the parts without runs the colour looks great. Most likely I'll sand most of this back to get a better coat on it.

Can't wait to start on the rest of the car, it's going to look great.

That looks real good. I'm a big fan of non-metallic single-stage paint.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I reckon you should keep the chrome petrol spill tray on it :)

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Raluek posted:

That looks real good. I'm a big fan of non-metallic single-stage paint.

I'm really glad I went 2 pack for it as well. The look of it straight out of the gun is great.

You Am I posted:

I reckon you should keep the chrome petrol spill tray on it :)

I don't know about that, that thing is only on there because when I took it off I found some rust. I put it right back on and ignored what I found.

In other news, I've decided that I'm going to put a black vinyl roof on it once it's all painted. None of the cars I see around Brisbane have one, I've always been half interested in them especially with louvres on the back window, and my friends were throwing ideas at me so I said why not.

After looking at cars like this who wouldn't want one?

Ansith fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 17, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Did that body style ever come in two doors?

Edit: Ah, apparently the two door was called the Falcon. Am I getting that right?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 17, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
There is good reasons why no one touches vinyl roofs anymore. All of the cars that had them stock rusted horrifically. This is one thing I would urge you to never do as vinyl is a moisture trap and WILL start the roof rusting

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Coredump posted:

Did that body style ever come in two doors?

Edit: Ah, apparently the two door was called the Falcon. Am I getting that right?

Yep there was a 2 door. It was called the Hardtop by ford. Apart from small differences it's the same as the XB coupe that was in mad max.

Both sedans and coupes had Falcon and Fairmont versions, Fairmonts are just a well optioned Falcon with more chrome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is good reasons why no one touches vinyl roofs anymore. All of the cars that had them stock rusted horrifically. This is one thing I would urge you to never do as vinyl is a moisture trap and WILL start the roof rusting

Definitely an issue with factory vinyl roofs. They didn't put any paint under them. If you find a dealer fit vinyl roof it likely won't have the same rust issues because it had the paint under it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd stay the gently caress away from a vinyl roof, even if the metal is well treated under it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I dunno, fitting a black roof to a car in Queensland seems like a daft thing to do unless you like living in an oven

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ansith posted:

Definitely an issue with factory vinyl roofs. They didn't put any paint under them. If you find a dealer fit vinyl roof it likely won't have the same rust issues because it had the paint under it.

ALL vinyl roofs still suffer the same rust bomb issues, you have just delayed it. Plus the first thing I see when there is a third party fitted vinyl roof is "Where's the hail damage?"(*) shortly before "Yep, rusting along the rain rails"

Sure, if you want to have it as a strictly sunny day roll to the car show resto shiny that can work. But anything that is close to driving more than once a month? Really bad, bad news, wether it's 5 years or 10 years down the track.

(*) - Literally the reason why most third party vinyl roofs were fitted. This is why if a car had a vinyl roof, they were treated with great suspicion - and every single vinyl roof that was removed always revealed roof damage, either rust in the worst places to fix or roof dents to go along with the rust.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can we get some Ford Barra chat going? We don't get them in the US. How popular for hot rodding are they out in Straya? Can they make good power n/a? Do they like to rev?

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Okay, I'll go without the vinyl roof. I went back and looked at a couple of projects that had a dealer fit vinyl roof removed, I had a picture in my mind that they weren't too bad. My memory clearly failed me. They weren't as bad in the way the whole roof wasn't caved in with rust, but they still got it in the a and c pillars. Thanks for the warnings!

Coredump posted:

Can we get some Ford Barra chat going? We don't get them in the US. How popular for hot rodding are they out in Straya? Can they make good power n/a? Do they like to rev?

I'm happy with any barra chat in here!

I'm seeing them used a lot more in the past year, the prices for BA Falcons is down to nothing so they are extremely cheap. At the last car show I went to I spotted an N/A in a cortina, tight fit but I bet it was quick.

A basic tune and exhaust can get you 215hp at the wheels out of the Barra 182. I've seen people getting just above what a stock BA turbo makes with some more serious mods but the money would be better spent just going turbo.

Ansith fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 18, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I've seen turbo barras make 700WHP, too :v:

And then there's this;

Click for big. Stupidly big turbo on a barra in an R33 Skyline GTS. IIRC this one makes about 700whp.

The barra is a very, very old engine design and it's still iron-block so it's MASSIVELY overbuilt. I've seen stock-internals turbo ones making absurd crank power figures.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

literally a fish posted:

I've seen turbo barras make 700WHP, too :v:

Fixed, I left the word stock out.

There really isn't much point trying to get power out of an n/a motor when for the same money you can get double out of a turbo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coredump posted:

They are very popular, given just how insanely easy they are to get power out of and also cheap. NA they aint bad I guess.... it's really turbos where they seriously wake up and become mind blowing. Why bother with NA when the turbo bolt on is such a serious powerhouse?

Not really a revver of a motor.

I've seen street driven ones that look stock apart from the cage go 7's all day. Also, Barra turbo powered cars are fairly well known for appearing at the drags for doing one and done runs - it's incredibly easy to do bolt ons that will run em below 10.9 secs and thence they get turfed out for going too fast without safety equipment. An accquiatence took a Ford Territory AWD and did 9.87 on his one and done - It was pushing something close to 600Kw (admittedly, not just boltons but it wasnt an engine teardown either) and yet still his daily driver. I've seen someone claim 2000NM(!!!) and produce the dyno results. He had a lot of trouble keeping diffs together for some odd reason.

The best proven dyno I've seen said just a touch over 1000Kw, there's bigger claims than that. Apparently the Japanese like to import them due to the huge hp you can do so easily.

Personal experience - an amazingly drivable engine, extremely tunable, basically why would you want a Ford V8 with this gem of an engine availible? Basically the reason why I'm following this thread, the NA Barra is going to make this Falcon fast.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The very last of the Falcons being made had a special model called the sprint. The XR6 turbo, from factory, made as much HP and MORE torque in over boost than the 5.0 supercharged coyote motor in the XR8 on over boost.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

They ever make the Barra with an aluminum block?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

They ever make the Barra with an aluminum block?

Definitely not.

They may have made one or two with an aluminium block, though ;)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Definitely not.

They may have made one or two with an aluminium block, though ;)

Oh drat owned. I've been searching on wiki and a few other places and can't seem to find any info on non cast-iron blocks. This engine would be sweet in a fox body.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently they did make some for testing, but none ever made it into cars that were sold. Such a shame, it would be one hell of an engine.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Loving this thread. Had wondered whether it would be possible to just by an XB coupe shell and give it a complete set of brand new everything, making it a modern car with retro looks. And this engine swap pretty much confirms it.

Would love to be able to put one together. Disc brakes, EFI, turbo, better A/C, suspension, steering, seats... the works. I'll have to bookmark this thread and check on it later down the track if I forget about it and have that option available. Asking for recommendations for gear from a bunch of people who know what they're talking about and not just looking to make a quick buck on a sale would be golden.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

The Dark Project posted:

Loving this thread. Had wondered whether it would be possible to just by an XB coupe shell and give it a complete set of brand new everything, making it a modern car with retro looks. And this engine swap pretty much confirms it.

Would love to be able to put one together. Disc brakes, EFI, turbo, better A/C, suspension, steering, seats... the works. I'll have to bookmark this thread and check on it later down the track if I forget about it and have that option available. Asking for recommendations for gear from a bunch of people who know what they're talking about and not just looking to make a quick buck on a sale would be golden.

You wouldnt be able to run any sort of modern ford v8 in an early girl falcon, I used to work at a ford dealership that sold a lot of fancy falcons and every time an xr8 came in for servicing the entire floor would empty out, as the apprentice i ended up doing it and oh god the horror. You might be able to fit a single cam 220, but i doubt it / wouldnt bother even if it fits. A barra would be sweet af but imho xb coupes need a healthy clevo with some sort of car-alarm exhaust.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

You wouldnt be able to run any sort of modern ford v8 in an early girl falcon, I used to work at a ford dealership that sold a lot of fancy falcons and every time an xr8 came in for servicing the entire floor would empty out, as the apprentice i ended up doing it and oh god the horror. You might be able to fit a single cam 220, but i doubt it / wouldnt bother even if it fits. A barra would be sweet af but imho xb coupes need a healthy clevo with some sort of car-alarm exhaust.

:agreed:

I don't know what it is about old Fords, but man, they sound good when they're loud.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:agreed:

I don't know what it is about old Fords, but man, they sound good when they're loud.

I mean to each their own but this scene had quite a strong impact on 8 year old me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQzkdK2ha0&t=51s

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I mean to each their own but this scene had quite a strong impact on 8 year old me.

I still say that's the best scoop that's ever been perched atop a blower.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

It's tight but....

Yeah it can be done and dotn quote me but I think the XB engine bay may actually be bigger. The Barra is a fairly easy drop in, there's lots of room and I think will make for a much faster car

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

That's on the other hand a compelling argument that the 11 year old me will agree with.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's tight but....

Yeah it can be done and dotn quote me but I think the XB engine bay may actually be bigger. The Barra is a fairly easy drop in, there's lots of room and I think will make for a much faster car

Oh god, my friends uncle works in the ford design bureau and when i met him i brought up the general awfulness of working on the 260s and apparently it was a last minute thing in case the bogan crowd (his words) didnt want an xr6 turbo. Exhaust manifold gaskets on that thing were painful as hell. I will say this about barra fords, probably the best modern car in terms of wrenching access it was leagues ahead of my ecotec commodore and lightyears ahead of the alloytec ones and if i had money i would put one in a cortina and then die.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

if i had money i would put one in a cortina and then die.

I've ridden in an old TC cortina with an old school 250 in it and that was loving frightening - the idea of one of those with even one of the 190kw N/A barras in there...

What a way to die.

It makes me sad that by this time these engines were plentiful, almost all of the old straight 6 fords were mostly rusted hulks. You're doing god's work, OP.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Would putting a modern V8 or Barra in an XB be over-powered for what it can take? Or is the more sensible option a V8 clevo and just try to work EFI or turbo into that somehow?

bend
Dec 31, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

Would putting a modern V8 or Barra in an XB be over-powered for what it can take? Or is the more sensible option a V8 clevo and just try to work EFI or turbo into that somehow?

No such thing as overpowered, just under built. Pretty sure both have been done in any case, if not then go and have a look at hot rodding. 27 t models with 500 cube V8s, old chevy trucks with motors nearly bigger than the drat cab. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a bellytanker with a twin turbo 400 cube plus something or other not that long ago, though that may have just been a wet dream lol.
edit: sorry forgot a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1W5pxZ4vBY

bend fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 13, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

Would putting a modern V8 or Barra in an XB be over-powered for what it can take?

Given that there's been 400Kw XB V8s for decades.... just do the supporting mods like big fuckoff brakes or a parachute.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

The Dark Project posted:

Obviously you lot have never heard of the Falcon Phase 3 GTHO....

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

You can run modern SOHC and DOHC Ford V8s in earlier Falcons, there is a mob who make new inner guards so it changes the suspension from double wishbone to a strut setup, making the engine bay wider to allow better clearance.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

You can run modern SOHC and DOHC Ford V8s in earlier Falcons, there is a mob who make new inner guards so it changes the suspension from double wishbone to a strut setup, making the engine bay wider to allow better clearance.

generally an L300 front end will let you fit all sorts of things into all sorts of cars if you want to go the junkyard route too, though they might be a bit sparse on the ground these days. there's all sorts of things like that around, mustang 2 front ends were common for this sort of thing at one point too I think, jag rear ends for IRS and so on.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

You Am I posted:

I know the kit, got a friend building an xp coon, that kit costs a fortune and the engineering paperwork pile is frankly impressive and depressing at the same time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kaptainballistik posted:

Obviously you lot have never heard of the Falcon Phase 3 GTHO....

I'm choosing to believe that's the "Get The Hell Out" trim level.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Grand Touring, Handling Option.

Depending on the source, between 224kw and 276kw (not SAE "Take actual number and multiply by phone number" power).

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

IPCRESS posted:

Grand Touring, Handling Option.

Depending on the source, between 224kw and 276kw (not SAE "Take actual number and multiply by phone number" power).

according to my dad and many other of his generation that they were the least comfortable cars made in australia (except perhaps the lightburn zeta). Fast as gently caress tho, i know someone who had an xb gt 351 4 speed and he did melbourne to sydney in under 7 hours (this was before the freeway was quite as good) the build quality? not so good, often the rear drivers door was the only one with a functional handle and the seatback gave way on rough roads more than once.

This is now falconchat btw.
The ideal xb coupe build is a fairly mild clevo (300rwkw), a shelby drop and some decent shocks. The handling/braking on those old girls gets sketchy fast without serious money / bone shaking ride and honestly if you wanna go around corners old aussie iron is a bad choice (some exceptions, namely rts kingswoods and 6 banger toranas).

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I am terribly sorry for hijacking your thread, Ansith...

But Falconchat is really great though :cool:

Yeah, it would have to be something which was made up of basically the rolling shell and everything else would most likely be brand new modern gear to get it running and handling potentially as good as a modern car.

I had a chance to buy an XB coupe a few years back, wish I had of. It was a weird mish-mash of styles, with an XB body, XC Cobra style front and rear spoiler, and a variation of the Cobra stripe pattern.

Had chrome weather stripping removed, bogged over, a twin exhaust, way too many bogan stickers, a boot and bonnet which weren't flush, a dodgy sounding engine, and sheepskin seats.

I kind of want to replicate it...

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Fastest 4 door car in the world trim. Literally at the time and for 20 years until Holden once again turned the screws up on the Commodore.

Not just fastest 4 door of the 70s but literally one of the fastest cars in the world and still decently quick to say the least

In 1972 Australia really had 3 of the fastest cars of all.... the Phase 4 was likely to blow the gently caress out of anything and the LJ V8 Torana theatened to be literaĺly the fastest car in the world. Until some journalist gently caress started the Supercar scare and ended all the mindblowingly fast family cars.

• Locked thread