Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Fastest stock 4 door of that era was the 280SL 6.3 Merc.

Aunty had one, I had it up to 140mph.

The HOEY was only marginally faster with the rev limiter disconnected though.

Anyway I know which car I want to be in above 140...

The XY's get a bit floaty above the ton unless prepped properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
The HO Falcon was a homologation special, built to win on sunday sell on monday in a small market. the Merc was a hand built special made for the autobahn in Germany & rich fanatics.

The GTHO Falcon was a 4 speed manual with 350+ hp, maybe 380hp. A brutal, made for the job machine not for the faint hearted driver. It got to 140mph only with the tallest diff ratio available. On shorter tracks with more normal gears it was only a 130mph car. The Merc did 137 stock. No other ratios were offered.
The Merc was also a 4 speed Auto, would have been quicker manual. But they are different cars. The Merc had a real walnut dashboard & trim with leather seats.

The Merc was a German exercise in a ridiculously overpowered luxury saloon. It had adjustable airbags, aircon, dry sump, overhead cams, alloy block & 50ci more displacement.
It was probably half a ton heavier though. But It was a better drive on the road. But wouldn't win Bathurst.

On the race track the Falcon gets it done, on an extended high speed run through some challenging terrain the Falcon would be left behind.

Its horses for courses, the Merc was never a racer but fast. The GTHO Falcon was a weapon though.

I've driven the Merc & passengered in a HO a few times.

My dad took a new one for a test drive out of the Ford Dealer in Rockdale back in the day. The salesman poo poo his daks as old Dad did a 200+m burnout at 6000RPM next to the railway tracks behind the dealership there. A chick up the street had a boyfriend with the famous "HO" badge on the glove box, the only identifier of the model. I was in awe as a youngster. Of course a few laps of the suburb were done...

They are both great cars though. Some people say that HO stood for High Output. Who knows. The Clevo's in them were certainly very special compared to the regular 351's.

wildemere fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 16, 2016

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Globe Alloys or Minilites would be better, The ultimate being Simmons from the era.

• Locked thread