Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't have a problem with the 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

I don't have a problem with the 27th.

That's Easter, no-go for me. :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You seem genuinely disappointed.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Raluek posted:

Car like that needs a gold Holley.

Edelbrock makes good manifolds, though.

Truth

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Been working bonkers hours last few days, a whole lot of get up go in come home pass out. Have the water pump pulled but not installed as its also been raining every day I didnt have to stay over. Still definitely going to be in town on the 27th, but not due back to work until 10:30pm Monday night so as I've now roped my wife into sharing the driving we will likely just grab a hotel Sunday night and leave in the morning.

In any event, I mostly just wanted to say WTF I thought it was this weekend but its still 9 days away.

Also: When shopping for BF Radials, what size should I be going for? This will probably be the first old car I dont stick the rear end in the air on, so I'm thinking 235/60r15? Stock are like 215/75/r14 but I think I want a little wider? Is there a more correct size or brand? I have some 255/60/r15 on the back of the Camaro, but they stick out the wells just a hair, and Duking train tracks gouges the sides.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've read that a 245 will fit, so you should be okay with a 235/60R15.

E:

Micromancer posted:

In any event, I mostly just wanted to say WTF I thought it was this weekend but its still 9 days away.

My calendar says 12?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 15, 2016

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Your calendar has probably had a day off in the last several weeks :v:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Micromancer posted:

Your calendar has probably had a day off in the last several weeks :v:

To be precise, I havent had a day off in 5 weeks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Triple posting to say it's on for the weekend grabbing the rims then it's brakes and finish the water pump. Looking to fire the engine Tuesday morning to see if the carb it hosed. Hint: it probably is.

Edit: lol goons and time. As you can probably guess, I overslept. Gassed up, loaded and on the road. Eta noon EST.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 27, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The original plan was to meet up for breakfast, but 'Mancer got a late start and didn't arrive til noon. I had an Easter dinner to go to and couldn't stay for lunch, so we exchanged pleasantries, traded cash for wheels, and went our separate ways. A+++ would deal again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Suddenly I want hash browns... scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, and topped (don't say it CSB).

My LDL tripled just from seeing the sign.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Work has been bonkers, and the other team lead has been laying out so I've had to cover his overtime as well. I'm shooting for 80 hours this week, 20-24 of which will be in the next two days.

Not going to stop me from trying to get everything installed when I get home in the morning though. Have to be up in 4 hours for another 12, but Ill be damned if I'm not spending my Sunday the way I was expecting to be able to at the start of the week.

Had a blast on the road trip. Wife loved the stop off on the return trip to meet a friend from my childhood. Rims were even better in person than the pics led me to believe. Going to be stupid easy I think to paint them the correct color, since the metal inserts just pop right out. Don't have the tires yet, as I am inclined to believe I should really put them on after painting.

Back on tires, I've been pricing BFs and if the wheel wells will fit a 245, I may just go with a 245/60. I don't really want the car to ride especially high, and I think I'll get a better ride from those than say a 235/70.

I also priced a refurb carb just in case this one is toast and at $180 I'm really leaning towards gently caress troubleshooting and bullshit and just get something I know should work.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Last week had PC issues, couldn't upload pics then dove into a retarded 70 hour work week.

Edit one: Last Sunday

It's Brake Day! All the hardware I need has been sitting on the front seat for weeks. Let's get started, how bad can it be?

See that red ring? I don't have one of those spring retainers for the other side of the car. Or a self adjuster. Quick trip to AZone says they can order the adjuster and the clip is no go. Well gently caress waiting, let's head to the Pick n Pull I need some dumb poo poo for the Ranger anyway.

I wanted to buy this but didn't.

This was neat

Found what I was looking for: An Olds around the same year with front drum brakes. Surely this will have the clip I need?

In short: hahahaah No. But its close and only took an hour to free!

On the way to grab a float for the sending unit on the Ranger, I ran into an old B2200 with a light bar. Bed was rusted out, bolts were rusted to the nuts but god damned if we didn't get that poo poo home. Also grabbed a filler hose because the Ranger spills over when you fill it. 45 for the bar, 20 for the tube total was 75 including misc brake hardware and the float. Was offered a warranty on the light bar to which I said why would I need that? Return for store credit? Naaaahhhhhhh

Installed the filler hose which even though the donor was only a year older, haha that is two inches too short. I've been driving around for a week having to sit on the ground to get the gas cap off the Ranger to add gas.

Tried to drop the bar in and the Ranger bed is apparently 2 inches thinner than the Mazda. So I put the bed liner back in and Ill be cutting notches into the sides because I CANT TAKE THE STUPID THING BACK.

That leaves me $10 in potential notwasted purchases today. Rest of the day was spent installing brake hardware on the fronts only, the rear are still not done. The clip worked at least, even though it was not even remotely shaped like the actual one I needed. Passenger wheel bearing/stud plate is showing signs of problems. Do not like at all the scraping noises I am hearing when I try and spin the drum.

This weekend actually had a day off and began throwing time into the Olds, and it tried to convince me that it was going to rain. Stood under the hood and took that poo poo until I was rewarded by help stopping by and the clouds clearing up. Got a metric fuckton of progress done.

It's Saturday morning, I just got done working and I'm going to stay up until I get this heap of poo poo to fire.

Began with the water pump, which went in without issue except for needing to buy a set of fan studs because I left the old ones in the bad pump that was thrown away weeks ago.

Changed out the battery terminals and dropped in the new battery. Then we set to work on getting it to start. The electric fuel pump the PO installed is junk. I hate it and next weekend I go back to a manual pump. Found out the gas tank was empty. Dropped two gallons in it, traced the power lead to the pump and actually attached it to something. I really do not like the carb. It has so many assorted problems there is no way to make this a working unit. Buying that refurb as soon as I can, probably be two weeks. After a couple hours of troubleshooting, the stars aligning and a bit of good luck though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVY7TPHZH8

Doesn't like to idle because the adjuster seems to be rigged and also wrong. Vacuum idle is straight missing. Once we got it started we bled the front brakes so I could drive it around the yard if needed and was greeting with the gas tank being empty. Not entirely sure how I burned two gallons in my drive way but hey maybe weird fuel things are going on. It gets dark, Ive been up nearly 30 hours and I pass out on my couch. Wake up this morning, and begin the title fiasco which I can't avoid because Decherd, TN code enforcement hates me. Decherd will tow any cars is sees sitting with no tag. I've in the last what 5 weeks? whatever lost the half rear end bill of sale I had, and after a couple trips to the tag agency they called the current owner to have him come in and apply for a lost title. I left the $11 bucks with them for it and am waiting to hear of it being done so I can get a tag.

On the way home I stopped at a used tire place and spent the remainder of my food/smokes budget on a set of Goodyear all season tires and mounted them to the rims I picked up a while back.

When I went to install the tires on the car, I noticed the gas tank was dripping fuel. Tank definitely has a leak. Installed the new tires and this is where we are now.

To Do List:

Manual Fuel Pump
Refurb Carb
Drop tank and attempt to clean/seal.
Figure out why car now sounds like it has rod knock. Hopefully its just my loose front bumper.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Righteous.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Got my tag this morning and priced a new gas tank. At 115 new I can't see a reason to try and seal this one. Really hoping to be limping on the road in the next 3 weeks.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Micromancer posted:

To Do List:

Manual Fuel Pump

Does this mean you have to turn a crank while driving around? If it doesn't, could you adjust your plans so it does and then take video of you flying down the highway while furiously cranking it like an old pencil sharpener?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Atmus posted:

Does this mean you have to turn a crank while driving around? If it doesn't, could you adjust your plans so it does and then take video of you flying down the highway while furiously cranking it like an old pencil sharpener?

No, chances are at one time it had a mechanical fuel pump that was driven by the flywheel or camshaft.

I.e.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
So no Dobie Gillis trickery? That's a shame.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
What I really need is some kind of hand crank NOS kit for the Camaro to grenade the engine forcing me into the diesel upgrade.

Going to try and refi my house beginning of next month, need to bank as much as I can from the next couple checks to appear like I don't just shovel money into cars and card games :v:

OTOH, if I do get some time off, I'll be sanding and painting that light bar and making it fit in the too thin bed by whatever means necessary. And the bed gets the adjustments before the bar does.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Maybe do the thing where you set the cruise control and bail out without telling anyone.

I guess that would hurt more than the engine though.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Color me jealous as poo poo since I loving love the early 70s Cutlasses and all I have is an '85.

As for IDing the engine, you want to find the casting number at the front of the engine near the oil fill tube on the top of the timing chain area thingy, and the set of numbers you should see are 381917. If it's 395558 then it's also a 350 block, just from either the '67 to '70 period or the '73 to '74 period. If it's 556607 then some rear end in a top hat sold you a 307, which is still a solid functional engine, it's just slow.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Grabbed a pic, but phone cable is in the Ranger so:

395558 2

Recently was using the AZone app to price stuff for the car, and it told me only 2% of these cars came with a 2bbl carb on the 350. If that's the case now that we're pretty positive it is in fact a 350 I'm inclined to leave the car as stupid free as I can. Thanks for the info.

I'm at 60 hrs this week, and have to work tonight and tomorrow. Rather be cutting notches in the side of my bed for the light bar but NNOOOOOOOO. OTs going to go down a lot in the next couple weeks, they finally started training someone to be the new second shift team lead. Which will knock me down to 46hr weeks on average. Hopefully I'll be able to refi the house, lower my payment and attack a couple other dumb monthly bills so even with normal checks the car stuff can continue through the summer.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
If a person had never rebuilt a carb before, should I even attempt this myself? I'm asking for a friend of the Cutlass, because gently caress this Camaro. Additionally, should I even bother if the cooling system is blowing the gasket around the thermostat? I'm seriously starting to lean toward it having a blown head gasket and if its all that, Ill park the fucker and turn my attention to the easier fix. Really starting to hate the Ranger though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sure, go for it.

Make sure you take detailed pics of every section before taking it apart.

Don't confuse any parts.

Buy the most complete rebuild kit you can find and CC3K carb cleaner "bucket", advance auto has them. Pick up a new float for it if the kit doesn't include one.

Basically you just disassemble it till there aren't any plastic/rubber/paper bits you care about on anything, then dunk it in the bucket of carb cleaner till all the deposits are softened, then rub it with a rag and hose it off with brakleen. Then put it back together with all the bits in the same spots, but new bits installed as required, like the accelerator pump, gaskets, etc.

Then you have to set the float level, adjust the accelerator pump lever, idle setscrew, jets, and whatever other random black magic metered fuel leaks exist in that particular carb. If you know what carb it is you can probably find an autistically detailed writeup on how to tune them on the net somewhere.

Make sure your vac hoses are all (1) deleted and blocked off or (2) functioning as designed, and then tune the carb. Even as a complete retard who had never touched a carb before, I managed to rebuild my sister's truck's carb and got it tuned well enough to drive ~100 miles to a friend's place (thanks Fart Pipe!) who knew the black magic of carb tuning, then we redid all the vacuum lines and tuned it up and it runs great now.

You do fun poo poo with guns, this is in no way more complicated than cleaning and reassembling a gun, just requires adjustments after.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Agreed.

My first carb rebuild took about 20 minutes on my first try not counting it soaking in the can, and none of that truck's problems are carb related.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

kastein posted:

You do fun poo poo with guns, this is in no way more complicated than cleaning and reassembling a gun, just requires adjustments after.

I trust you, so I'm going to go for it. I do have to say as someone that has installed a lower parts kit in an AR twice I have a hard time thinking that is harder than getting a carb right. We'll find out though!

Atmus posted:

Agreed.

My first carb rebuild took about 20 minutes on my first try not counting it soaking in the can, and none of that truck's problems are carb related.

I wonder if I can hook up my lovely dash cam over my desk as video notes so I can accomplish the installation is the reverse of removal portion of the program. Worst case scenario is this: I fubar the carb completely. Buy a 4bbl intake and carb for the price of the correct 2bbl and go from there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Micromancer posted:

I wonder if I can hook up my lovely dash cam over my desk as video notes so I can accomplish the installation is the reverse of removal portion of the program. Worst case scenario is this: I fubar the carb completely. Buy a 4bbl intake and carb for the price of the correct 2bbl and go from there.

Just livestream it on Twitch.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yes, do that.

For added difficulty, I will fastball a rotten burger at your face.

Micromancer posted:

I trust you, so I'm going to go for it. I do have to say as someone that has installed a lower parts kit in an AR twice I have a hard time thinking that is harder than getting a carb right. We'll find out though!

If you want to turn it into a gun project equivalent, it should be right around stripping, cleaning, and reassembling a filthy AR lower and bolt. Doing the same to an SKS would be more accurate if you leave out the whole reassembling the bolt thing, because gently caress that noise.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Atmus posted:

If you want to turn it into a gun project equivalent, it should be right around stripping, cleaning, and reassembling a filthy AR lower and bolt. Doing the same to an SKS would be more accurate if you leave out the whole reassembling the bolt thing, because gently caress that noise.

Wait, you're supposed to clean your SKS? :ohdear:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Wait, you're supposed to clean your SKS? :ohdear:

It would be a good idea, yes.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depending on what Saturday has in store for me, this isn't exactly out of the question.

Edit: and at the last minute, I now work tonight along with the company picnic being in the middle of my normal sleep schedule. Going to have to be next weekend before I do anything car related.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 14, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'd watch this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Twitch Rebuilds Carbs

> SOAK IN CLEANER
> SOAK IN CLEANER
> USE PEANUT BUTTER