Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Updates:

M3: Have an already painted interlagos blue vorsteiner CSL rear diffuser on the way, as well as a set of Dinan ITB's that I got for a good low price. I wasn't planning on doing this but welp

S2000: My spoon engine/trans mounts showed up, as well as my extended euro floormats. However. the big news is my CE28s have made contact to this great american soil! They are being processed in California from the boat or whatever, so they will be here soon.

Now, the quest to find tires and then start putting things together. I am currently looking at Durezza Z3s in 245/40/17. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

Thoughts?

Hell yeah :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Hell yeah :)

Durezza Z3's are good? I won't get murdered by them if it happens to rain?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've not heard much about them, unfortunately. They are probably a solid non-cheater 200TW tire that is a step above the Z2/RT615k+/etc, but I don't know how they'd do in the rain.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've not heard much about them, unfortunately. They are probably a solid non-cheater 200TW tire that is a step above the Z2/RT615k+/etc, but I don't know how they'd do in the rain.

I think I have settled on RE71-Rs

In other news, I did a great/stupid thing. Someone on FB marketplace was selling a set of 8 piston R8 brembos, and they had been up for a week or so. At cars and coffee yesterday morning my friend goes did you message him yet, and I hadn't, so he says do it now and offer this much. So I sent him a kinda lowball offer and to my surprise he messaged me back and said if you come today I'll do it but I'll feel bad about it.... so I went down to CT and grabbed them. He had rebuilt them and had a brand new set of pads too. They are massive lol. Only a few people have done the conversion on e46's, but they pair well with 996 rear brembos

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Diffuser showed up early yesterday, put it on today

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nodoze posted:

Durezza Z3's are good? I won't get murdered by them if it happens to rain?

Probably too late on this but the Star Spec Z2/Z3 are great in the rain as long as they aren't down on tread too much. It's the primary tire we ran in Chump/WRL as we were really happy with it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Probably too late on this but the Star Spec Z2/Z3 are great in the rain as long as they aren't down on tread too much. It's the primary tire we ran in Chump/WRL as we were really happy with it.

Good to know. I had read some so so things about them in rain. I don't plan on driving it much in the rain but when you are out and it happens it's nice to know you wont die

In other news, because I am stupid and can't help myself I bought more m3 stuff. I haggled with a guy selling a Dinan 3.91 gear set and have that plus the diff pumpkin coming to me. The 3.91s have gone NLA and every time I have seen one for sale it was always in Californa local pick up only.

I am also really both talking myself into and out of buying a Miata. I have been lusting after a 10ae since I still had my R53 but for various reasons haven't done it. I should be smart and save money, but on the other hand more cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nodoze posted:

...because I am stupid and can't help myself...

Miata

I have a dry sumped s2k engine that would be perfect for that miata you're thinking about. I suppose it would be fine in a s2k as well.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have a dry sumped s2k engine that would be perfect for that miata you're thinking about. I suppose it would be fine in a s2k as well.

Noo I want to put a supercharger in the miata :sweatdrop:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

2.0 or 2.2?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

2.0 or 2.2?

2.0 out of a 2002 AP1 with ~30k miles

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

2.0 out of a 2002 AP1 with ~30k miles

:stare:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been out of it for a while now, but I still window shop... missed out on an absolutely mint 96 LS400 over the weekend, and then on Monday I was looking at 8th gen Civic Sis at work before (re-)realizing that I don't want to spend multiple thousands of dollars to go autocrossing.

I'd also advise against an NB1 with a supercharger; afaik most of the Rotrex stuff is NLA.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

I've been out of it for a while now, but I still window shop... missed out on an absolutely mint 96 LS400 over the weekend, and then on Monday I was looking at 8th gen Civic Sis at work before (re-)realizing that I don't want to spend multiple thousands of dollars to go autocrossing.

I'd also advise against an NB1 with a supercharger; afaik most of the Rotrex stuff is NLA.

I want a roots blower not a rotrex

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Whee, update time.

I put the spoon engine mounts in the s2000 the other night. Still have the trans mounts to put in, but I'll do that when we put the exhaust in. The didnt rip apart when I took them out, but the tops were pretty cracked and would have torn soon.

My wheels showed up Tuesday afternoon. MA has a sales tax holiday this weekend so I'm ordering tires then to save the 50 bucks because I'm cheap. I need to raise the car up because as it sits now it is too low for the wider wheels and lower offset. Once I get that done and the tires mounted on them, I can put them on and then get the front fenders rolled. I also am placing an order at honda for CR trunk/wing conversion parts and new rear calipers, as well as some assorted gaskets I need. I picked up a science of speed throttle body off FB last week for a steal price as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, you're getting a lot of poo poo done.

Mine just sits in my garage even more than usual now. My current place has a tandem garage and that poo poo is super annoying when you want to gently caress with the second car.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Man, you're getting a lot of poo poo done.

Mine just sits in my garage even more than usual now. My current place has a tandem garage and that poo poo is super annoying when you want to gently caress with the second car.

It seems like it, but it's been slow due to laziness and working and spending money on the m3. (Dont buy an e46m3) . I still have to get the vanos done, and even though my subframe has no cracks now I still want to get it reinforced. My wallet :(

I had been debating what to do about refreshing the control arms and bushings on the car. I just ended up scoring a set of complete ap2 arms with spherical bushings already pressed in for as much as the bushings themselves cost. I'll have to do ap2 rear subframe conversion as the rear arms are different. My friend has one already that he was going to do but decided against it cause he is throwing a supercharger in his car instead, so he is giving it to me for dirt cheap. That will be my winter project. I have read they are really nice dailying and also have seen people say too harsh, so we'll see. I have a pretty high tolerance for that stuff so I think it will be fine.

One other benefit of that conversion will be getting to inspect for any rust hidden under there, and get new bolts and wheel bearings in. Almost the whole car is being refreshed at this point

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

(Dont buy an e46m3) .

I've paired mine with an f80 m3 :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

I've paired mine with an f80 m3 :v:

What have you done

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

What have you done

Made the very smart financial decision of buying an out of warranty BMW :v:

I'm gonna try to get the s2k out and into the mountains today. I hit the canyons with it way less than I ever thought I would because of how stupidly unpredictable the weather is.

e:

The M3 in the same spot a couple weeks ago

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 20, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Both those look great!

In other news: :toot:

The fourth wheel was already in the car, and the other control arms are sitting on my bed. Still waiting on my order from Honda to come in. Monday is supposed to be not hot as hell out so hopefully I'll be able to raise the suspension up on the car enough to give the wheels enough clearance. After that whenever my stuff shows up I'll be able to put the new brakes on all around and then find someone to roll the fenders and we are driveable. Also once my stuff shows up I'll be able to throw the Ap2 center console in and put the SoS throttle body in the car. Probably next month the control arms and subframe swap will go in along with the exhaust and header.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmmmm CE28 :love:

I'm thinking about selling mine, should be fun parting the thing out :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Mmmmm CE28 :love:

I'm thinking about selling mine, should be fun parting the thing out :v:

Parting what out? also dont sell it, you'll just end up buying another one again you know I'm right

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
you are probably right, we will see :v:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

BlackMK4 posted:

you are probably right, we will see :v:

Are you done running TT?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been soul searching for a couple of months now, why do you ask? I plan on running TT and TA at AMP in October both days since I am leading TA overall and TA-B. Winning both would pretty much secure them for the year.

Arizona TT4 is about to go war mode. I'm not willing to run Hoosiers from a financial perspective and there is no cheap (<$5k) way to get close to 12:1 ptw when I am 196whp average and 2740lb on the scales. I was less than a second off Kennel at East (1:01) and I have done a 1:48 at AMP / 1:59 at Chuckwalla CCW but now there are closer to class ptw cars willing to run Hoosiers coming in.

I'm not going tomorrow for sure though.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 24, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I raised the car up a bit and put the wheels on Monday. I still need to get the fenders rolled and tabs relocated, so it's just sitting in the driveway so I don't turn my fenders into crispy bacon. I also think I'll probably have to adjust the height once more after that. Still waiting for my Honda order to come in as well, which has my rear calipers. I have a hunch the holdup is the CR rear wing and/or assorted parts.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Hey guys, sorry for the slacking on updates.

ST40s are on, it stops good. However, do note that only the fronts made it on. Honda gave me one nice remanned real caliper, and in the other box was someones dirty rear end core return. Way to go guys :argh: I picked up most of my order, but still waiting for the actual trunk lid to come in. I am also stupid and ordered the wrong piece of the center console that I needed and have to get that now, along with having them get me an actually remanned caliper and a new intake hose (see below)

While I was putting my wheels on last week, the CEL came on. I just ignored it figuring it was the gas cap like last time. When i was picking up brake fluid I had the guy read the codes just in case, and one was the gas cap and the other was secondary air system. Found out later afterward that the air intake boot is ripped before it connects to the throttle body :mad:

Up next: rear subframe conversion and control arm swap + exhaust installation. I also still need to mess with wheel fitment more because it is still rubbing, albeit much less now. An alignment should make it stop after doing front and rear bumper tabs. Hopefully anyway

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The boot can't be that hard or expensive, can it?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The boot can't be that hard or expensive, can it?

No, it's about 50 bucks for a new one. It also from first look appears to be really easy to swap. I already ordered it, along with explaining to parts about the caliper mishap

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update: Put the M3 away for the winter. Probably going to sell it in the spring.

I put the header and full exhaust on the S2000 about a month and a half ago, and put the SoS throttle body in. The exhaust is pretty loud. I've since developed what I believe to be a borked TPS sensor after changing the throttle body and the car is running like poo poo as a result. I have a new one to put on, and the AP2 rear subframe is going in soon as well. After that, I'm figuring out what to do with the paint situation and then putting it away after it gets done. I'd like to change the color but it may not be feasable (read: expensive AF)

I've been eyeing a supercharger setup but I am kind of afraid to boost this engine without having picked up a spare block to assemble with the head I already have. Someone is also selling a lower mileage full 2.2L w/ transmission locally for a good price that I have been weighing. My plan was to flip some of the parts I have been hoarding to put on the M3 since I won't really see that money back putting them on the car and then selling it vs just selling them outright

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I finally got around to doing some work on my Ap1.

The exhaust that was on the car when purchased was rusting and falling apart. It was an Apexi WS2, and even though we're in Central Texas where we never see salt, it was rusting quite badly and I was surprised to see how many holes had formed.

I put on a EVS Tuning 70mm single exit exhaust that I purchased during their black friday sale. Sound wise, it is surprisingly similar in volume to the previous exhaust, despite being a single. Maybe a tad quieter and less drone, and a bit more aggressive sound, probably because it's not full of holes.

I also replaced the chopped up AEM intake with an OEM one that I got locally. I've since developed a CEL for the vacuum system, so I'm going to go through it this weekend and make sure it all went back together correctly. I find that this made a bigger difference to how quiet the car is driving around.

In lovely news looking forward, I'm concerned that the bearings on the transmission output shaft after going out and will need replacing. Before I consider a transmission rebuild I've gotta get my lovely beater Civic road ready so I can have some extended downtime for the S.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

AP2 subframe is on, new control arms all around, new steering rack bushings and subframe bushings in too.

With billet diff mounts + harder rubber, spherical bushings in the control arms, harder spoon engine/trans mounts, aluminum subframe and steering rack bushings it's definitely much more...solid and connected. It's also like 12 degrees out so everything is stiff as poo poo.

I had my friends dad look at it for paint and fixing some shoddy repair work from when I got rear ended. I want to change the color to Techno Violet so bad, I just have to see what kind of a deal I can wrangle on it if at all. RIP my wallet

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

I want to change the color to Techno Violet so bad, I just have to see what kind of a deal I can wrangle on it if at all. RIP my wallet

You should definitely do this :fap:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

You should definitely do this :fap:

Oh I'd like to a lot, it would go so good with the bronze CE28s. Plus on top of that, Techno Violet is just an amazing color. I also want a TV e36 M3 really bad too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

Got the S2000 back from corner balance. I have to drop it back off though, as the steering wheel is slightly off center and also however they set either the pre-load or dampening settings is way too stiff and it's not taking any bumps in the road well at all.

M3 update: Sold it and cleared a profit. I liked the car but I was at the point where it was either abandon ship or double down and spend more money to do the subframe and vanos, plus upgrades and so on. Couple that with expense of any repair I chose the first option, as having money is always good lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got the s2k out again today. Hopefully we're done with the snow now. The seats are noticeably narrower after a couple months of quarantine...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm in the middle of building another diff, this time an AP2 with an AP1 flange, OS Giken 1.5 way, and J's Racing solid pinion spacer. Car is also getting cleaned up a bit right now in the form of a proper splitter mount instead of the garbage DevSports, chassis mount for the 9LR wing, and painting my wing trunk.

Just need to figure out how I'm going to make more power. I like the idea of a SoS supercharger kit and dumping extra boost out a pre-intake manifold wastegate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

Sold my K-Pro to someone in one of the parts groups. I decided I was too lazy and didn't want to pay someone to install the RSX conversion parts (dropping oil pan and so on). I had been planning on getting a AEM Infinity, but SoS was being difficult and then I talked to the Miata race shop near me and they said they preferred Haltech. I had previously considered that before, but they are a little pricier and I didn't know much about them. I ended up calling up Haltech and the guy I talked to gave me a stupid good deal on the standalone + plug and play harness and Wideband o2 kit, so needless to say I got that. It's currently at that shop now getting the final touches on the tune. They also fine tuned the corner balance a little more that they previously did for me. Which brings me to the next venture, paint. I talked to the owner and he asked the guy who runs the body shop nextdoor and works on their race cars and he gave me a kind of reasonable price + paint cost when you factor in that it includes replacing the entire passenger rear quarter (as opposed to cutting out a section and welding in new one, although I was told that is actually MORE work so what do I know). The place I had previously talked to gave me a much higher number just to repaint it suzuka and with not replacing the whole panel, just a section. I'm still gonna talk to a few more places, but this place may be the winner since they didn't care what color it's going to be.

So now we have to chose a color... I'm open to suggestions because god knows there are tons of colors out there that I've seen and forgotten, or just plain never seen at all. At the moment I am considering:

BMW Techno Violet (e36/46)
Midnight Purple Pearl (NSX)
Monte Carlo Blue (NSX)
Some type of green like Oxford or BRG, but I like Oxford more
Porsche Miami Blue
Porsche Mexico Blue

Keep in mind the wheels are bronze CE28, and the interior at the moment is blue but I am slowly making moves to secure black pieces to convert it. Ideally I'd be able to secure a set of brown seats one way or another, or I'll just stick with black. What you got?