Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
miami blue bay bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lexus Structural Blue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love Miami and Mexico Blue but I'm not sure if I'd like them on an s2k. Techno Violet or Daytona Violet would both look really good though. I like purple cars and there was a daytona violet F80 I was lusting after when I was shopping but it was out of the price range I set.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

fknlo posted:

I love Miami and Mexico Blue but I'm not sure if I'd like them on an s2k. Techno Violet or Daytona Violet would both look really good though. I like purple cars and there was a daytona violet F80 I was lusting after when I was shopping but it was out of the price range I set.

I like Techno better than Daytona, but I kind of agree about the blues too

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Technoviolet or Daytona would probably look pretty good with your Volk Bronze :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like the idea of purple but make it a little bolder than those two choices.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

taqueso posted:

In which way? What color are you thinking

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

Daytona is actually pretty lively in the sun. I believe it has a bit more purple pop than Techno but I think they'd both look great on an s2k.

On blues that might look good, what about something like Atlantis Blue? Might not be different enough from Suzuka for you and I'm not sure how it would look with bronze wheels?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Daytona is actually pretty lively in the sun. I believe it has a bit more purple pop than Techno but I think they'd both look great on an s2k.

On blues that might look good, what about something like Atlantis Blue? Might not be different enough from Suzuka for you and I'm not sure how it would look with bronze wheels?

Daytona is more washed out than Techno and midnight purple i think

Atlantis blue is ok, but i like it less than Apex Blue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Daytona is more washed out than Techno and midnight purple i think

Atlantis blue is ok, but i like it less than Apex Blue

It's actually not easy to find good comparison pics between Daytona and Techno. Then it looks completely different on the different body styles. I can't remember the last time I saw it in person though.

I think that highlights the "pop" that I was talking about. BMW nailed that with a few paints on the F chassis. The sun hits that poo poo at the right angle and it's amazing. Techno Violet would do really well on the s2k. I think it has the right amount of curves to really show it off.

Looking at Apex Blue again and I learned that the pretty blue on newer Acura's is also called Apex Blue even though it's completely different from what came on the CR.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I think a medium blue like nogaro would be terrific on it. I absolutely love the mexico blue (even wrapped my car in it) but for seem reason think the S2000 would look better in something darker and nogaro has always been on my shortlist.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Lexus Structural Blue

I am forever sad that there's no way I could afford to paint my truck with this, or even the bodywork needed to get poo poo super perfect straight to justify it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nodoze posted:

Update:

Sold my K-Pro to someone in one of the parts groups. I decided I was too lazy and didn't want to pay someone to install the RSX conversion parts (dropping oil pan and so on). I had been planning on getting a AEM Infinity, but SoS was being difficult and then I talked to the Miata race shop near me and they said they preferred Haltech. I had previously considered that before, but they are a little pricier and I didn't know much about them. I ended up calling up Haltech and the guy I talked to gave me a stupid good deal on the standalone + plug and play harness and Wideband o2 kit, so needless to say I got that. It's currently at that shop now getting the final touches on the tune. They also fine tuned the corner balance a little more that they previously did for me. Which brings me to the next venture, paint. I talked to the owner and he asked the guy who runs the body shop nextdoor and works on their race cars and he gave me a kind of reasonable price + paint cost when you factor in that it includes replacing the entire passenger rear quarter (as opposed to cutting out a section and welding in new one, although I was told that is actually MORE work so what do I know). The place I had previously talked to gave me a much higher number just to repaint it suzuka and with not replacing the whole panel, just a section. I'm still gonna talk to a few more places, but this place may be the winner since they didn't care what color it's going to be.

So now we have to chose a color... I'm open to suggestions because god knows there are tons of colors out there that I've seen and forgotten, or just plain never seen at all. At the moment I am considering:

BMW Techno Violet (e36/46)
Midnight Purple Pearl (NSX)
Monte Carlo Blue (NSX)
Some type of green like Oxford or BRG, but I like Oxford more
Porsche Miami Blue
Porsche Mexico Blue

Keep in mind the wheels are bronze CE28, and the interior at the moment is blue but I am slowly making moves to secure black pieces to convert it. Ideally I'd be able to secure a set of brown seats one way or another, or I'll just stick with black. What you got?

I have a 2008 Silver S2K (red seat interior, :cool: ) that got a scrape in the door a long time ago, how much are you getting quoted to repaint everything? If it's not too bad, I may dip into painting from silverstone to some exotic color.

As for color suggestions what about that blue color the first S2K-CR came with. Apex Blue Pearl (B554P)

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 28, 2020

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I have a 2008 Silver S2K (red seat interior, :cool: ) that got a scrape in the door a long time ago, how much are you getting quoted to repaint everything? If it's not too bad, I may dip into painting from silverstone to some exotic color.

As for color suggestions what about that blue color the first S2K-CR came with. Apex Blue Pearl (B554P)

This shop i just got a number from was 8k plus paint, but that also includes replacing the entire passenger rear quarter. Keep in mind ive also got a new CR front bumper and trunk lid primered in the box

I like Apex Blue that is one of the options. Im leaning toward techno violet or midnight purple, id like to see a side by side to see how different they look but I haven't found one yet

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Long time no update:

Car was backed into at work in November, damage wasn't that bad but it forced my hand to work on it early. It ended up living at the body shop all winter until April since I told my friend I didn't need it back any time soon. As a result, the whole car was resprayed and my CR front bumper, lip, trunk lid and wing went on. Additionally, my friend fixed the previous shoddy work from when I was rear ended a couple years ago so now everything lines up like it should and the paint behind the soft top trim isn't peeling off anymore since he did it correctly by taking it off. I ended up keeping the color Suzuka because I was not going to pull the engine to paint the car (and now I am thinking about K swapping it in the future, go figure)

CX-5 was returned annnnnnd I got a 2021 Miata. Yes I have two two seat roadsters, but it's driving in it's purest form as it was meant to be. Since I had only driven the Miata since Feb and hadn't been in the S2000 since November I had kind of come to the conclusion that it was about 7 or 8 10ths of the S2000, but when I got back in it and drove it out of the shop that is definitely not the case. The shifter while good is still no where close to the S2K, and the steering and clutch have no weight behind them. It also has a lot of body roll, but FM sway bars are cheap and I can take care of that at some point. Despite all that, it's still a great car and I don't regret getting one (until winter anyway, hopefully by then I have another WFH job and my goal of never going outside is complete :v: )

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
It’s nice to know there are people as crazy as I am. S2K and ND2 are really close but I can appreciate the differences. I’ve been wanting to adopt my brother’s AP1 because I’ve hit the point where I’d sell one of my cars but I would have serious regrets.

Also, used enthusiast cars have wildly increased in value in the last year and it’s depressing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Also, used enthusiast cars have wildly increased in value in the last year and it’s depressing.

It's insane. I bought a Prius and I hate it(shocking!) and anything I'd actually want to replace it with is way more than I want to spend on its replacement.

Meanwhile, my S2000 is probably worth like $40k now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wish I had bought an NSX when I bought my AP1, because I can still buy an S2000 now but I can't get an NSX anymore unless I get lucky and win the lottery or sell my s2000 and don't buy a house lol. NSX were more attainable then and have inflated at a much higher rate than the other cars. I'll probably never own one, but I can get an FD at some point hopefully

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 19, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i thought about stretching for an NSX and dropping about 35k about five years ago but didn't have anywhere to park it and I regret that decision every loving day

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i thought about stretching for an NSX and dropping about 35k about five years ago but didn't have anywhere to park it and I regret that decision every loving day

Yeah same. I should have just done it and dealt with that after :gonk:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sorry for the delay

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don't drive it often enough...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

I did a lease buyout on my Miata since the used car market is really dumb, I came out ahead on the lease. That leaves me down to just the S2000 as my only car for the first time in four or five years. It mostly sits in the garage since I work at home now and only go outside on non raining days to make a store run or something, but it does get driven. I still need to do front/rear sway bars since I switched to a square set up, but I'm not sure what to get. According to the guys at Urge only a karcepts front bar actually does anything, but gently caress if I am spending 800 bucks on a front sway bar. I also have to order new exhaust flanges because one of mine is a little warped from hitting a raised speed bump and lets out all the fun exhaust smells.

Fret not though, as I forwarded the money from the buyout right to Toyota and put an order in for a Neptune Blue ( :swoon: ) GR 86, 6 speed manual of course. I was fortunate to be able to get NO MARKET ADJUSTMENT and jumped on it. Mine isn't supposed to show up until October or November, although my friend who ordered one a few weeks before I did got a call the other day that his is on the way here already and should be expecting to pick it up at the beginning of July. So I may end up getting it sooner than then, we shall see.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Excellent choice :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought a $725 Karcepts sway bar after balking at a $525 sway bar 5 years ago.

It’s a nice bit of kit, though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

I bought a $725 Karcepts sway bar after balking at a $525 sway bar 5 years ago.

It’s a nice bit of kit, though.

They look fantastic, but yeah I'm not paying that lmao

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I need to drive it more. Did that shortly after getting it back to Missouri. The power difference there vs the front range is definitely noticeable.

e: my last post from last year was me saying I need to drive it more. I'll actually probably drive it more back in Missouri where the severe weather is mildly predictable...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 18, 2022

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Reviving this joint since I should stop clogging up the AI Chat thread.

If you haven't seen that the TLDR is car got hit head on by someone on the wrong side of the road. I saw him coming at me and was able to slow down, so it was a low-ish speed collision but still enough for the airbags to deploy (I am fine). The front end is jacked up but the rest of the car is otherwise fine. I knew at the scene there it was going to be totaled unfortunately. I ended up buying it back due to insurance not giving me a satisfactory payout and because I have a lot of quality parts on it that shouldn't be sent to the yard. Originally my plan was to try to find someone to buy it as is, since on the surface it seems like a good candidate to convert to a track car. I showed my body shop friend who repainted it for me the damage and he said I would be better off just stripping it, since fixing the front end correctly would get costly as he personally would tell whoever was doing it to find a fresh front end cut and swap it over. Anyone buying it wouldn't want to pay what it's worth with everything still attached to it, so he said to just part it out and sell everything or keep what I wanted and go from there.

It's sitting in my garage right now while I try and figure out what I want to do. I've pretty much decided that I'm either getting another S2000, or start hunting for a 10AE Miata. Due to the inflated costs of everything, especially old JDM cars which is basically all that I am interested in, most other options are out. NSX are completely out of reach for me now unless I somehow found the steal of the century, FD RX7s and R32 GTRs also cost a lot more than I'd want to pay for them. I did briefly consider getting another ND2 Miata, but I think if I am spending that much money I'd just go back to the S2000 again. Same thing for the E46 M3, especially since my condition for ownership on those is very high. I think right now I am leaning towards S2000 and then find the 10AE later down the road due to the cost inflation on S2000s really outpacing Miatas. Right now I've kind of been scanning on AP1s and 04-05 AP2, but I don't want to move on something before having the car dismantled since it means I'd have to take up both garage spots and make my wife park outside. Obviously that could change if I stumbled upon an incredible deal

I have always said if I got another one, which would have meant owning two at the time, I'd leave it completely stock. I can't decide how much I'd want to hold myself to that, especially considering to bring my CE28s over means having to do a bunch of fender work to make them fit. That makes me cringe on a completely stock lower miles car. Selling things helps pay for the new car too so that is something else to consider

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

That really sucks man, I'm sorry :( I worry about getting totaled out over a minor accident in mine quite regularly, enough to where I finally bought another car to DD with. That said if you end up disassembling yours to part it out I uh, may be interested in some parts.

It sucks that the 90s era of JDM cars is so overpriced now. The fun project cars of yesteryear are now several thousand dollars over where they should be, even to the point where overpriced s2ks are still a decent value. That said, it seems like the market may be softening for them. I'd still love to own an FD but I feel like I would have to buy a roller, make it a years-long project and have a wad of cash when getting started. FC seem like a much better deal, but especially now that I'm on the East coast it seems like every cool late 80s car is rusted out

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Korwen posted:

That really sucks man, I'm sorry :( I worry about getting totaled out over a minor accident in mine quite regularly, enough to where I finally bought another car to DD with. That said if you end up disassembling yours to part it out I uh, may be interested in some parts.

It sucks that the 90s era of JDM cars is so overpriced now. The fun project cars of yesteryear are now several thousand dollars over where they should be, even to the point where overpriced s2ks are still a decent value. That said, it seems like the market may be softening for them. I'd still love to own an FD but I feel like I would have to buy a roller, make it a years-long project and have a wad of cash when getting started. FC seem like a much better deal, but especially now that I'm on the East coast it seems like every cool late 80s car is rusted out

Yeah, we have reached the point where they don't really make cars fun anymore so all the things we grew up with are mostly the last of the fun cars

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
drat, sorry that happened nodoze. I think the S2000 market has softened quite a bit on top of them getting cheaper in winter anyway, so it's probably a pretty good time to buy one.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

drat, sorry that happened nodoze. I think the S2000 market has softened quite a bit on top of them getting cheaper in winter anyway, so it's probably a pretty good time to buy one.

Thanks. I've been aggressively searching around and I have found a few things I might try and throw an offer at. I really can't decide if I like Spa Yellow or not but there is a very low miles Spa Yellow AP1 relatively close by for a very reasonable price. Otherwise I've mostly been looking at black/red/suzuka blue AP1 and 04/05 AP2s. Absolutely refuse to go silver or gray and there are not many white cars for sale and they tend to carry a big price premium anyway.

Korwen posted:

What are you looking for?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry man, sad to see another goon S2000 move along. The Spa cars are really difficult to color match if anything has happened / ever happens to them, hopefully you find something though - there isn't anything else like an S2000.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry man, sad to see another goon S2000 move along. The Spa cars are really difficult to color match if anything has happened / ever happens to them, hopefully you find something though - there isn't anything else like an S2000.

Yeah I agree. There are options so hopefully I find something soon, although when I bought this one it did take about three months of looking

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Nodoze posted:

What are you looking for?

Black interior carpet and mats and center console are the items that come to mind first. I am mulling around the idea of putting an AP2 trans in since I think the bearing on my output shaft needs replacing, but that is a longer term thing.

Silver with red interior is the only silver car I would own. If there is anything I can help with on the hunt for a new S in the DMV area, let me know!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Korwen posted:

Black interior carpet and mats and center console are the items that come to mind first. I am mulling around the idea of putting an AP2 trans in since I think the bearing on my output shaft needs replacing, but that is a longer term thing.

Silver with red interior is the only silver car I would own. If there is anything I can help with on the hunt for a new S in the DMV area, let me know!

My car is/was Suzuka so the interior is blue. Also an AP1, and the AP2 transmission swap was one of the last things I was looking to do :rip:

I tried getting this place in NC to price match another car but they didn't want to play ball cause they are a no haggle store, oh well. I am still considering a white ND2 w/ terracotta interior but I can't really shake the feeling I'll regret not getting another S2000

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

My car is/was Suzuka so the interior is blue. Also an AP1, and the AP2 transmission swap was one of the last things I was looking to do :rip:

I tried getting this place in NC to price match another car but they didn't want to play ball cause they are a no haggle store, oh well. I am still considering a white ND2 w/ terracotta interior but I can't really shake the feeling I'll regret not getting another S2000

I haven't driven one, but I think the ND2 is about as close as you can get to an S2000 without it being an S2000. I'd probably do another S2000 myself but maybe some wheel time would change my opinion a bit?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
In my mental game of what my next car will be, I’m constantly torn between a driver quality AP1 and an ND2. The F20C is the significantly more interesting engine but the ND2 seems to be better at everything else.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

In my mental game of what my next car will be, I’m constantly torn between a driver quality AP1 and an ND2. The F20C is the significantly more interesting engine but the ND2 seems to be better at everything else.

I've owned a pair of ap2's and two nd1's so slightly different perspectives from my end but I genuinely believe the nd is the better car in every possible way outside of noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I had an ND2 and my AP1 at the same time. The ND2 is very good and definitely the closest thing we'll ever get to another S2000, but another S2000 it is not. I have not had a chance to drive one with upgraded sway bars, so that may change my perspective, but it has quite a lot of body roll from the factory. Neither one is really spacious but you can feel the small size of the ND more so if you are a bigger individual you are going to feel cramped in there.

Both are good enough to own and drive all the time, you can't go wrong picking either