Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Oh good. I have that plate. I rolled my eyes at the slogan but it seemed vague enough to ignore (supporting public safety).

Anecdotally, all of the car guys I know switched to that from the cardinals plate since it is the closest to a dark gray / black plate and doesn’t have a sportsball logo. Have you seen the default AZ plate? Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I use the default plate because whatever, but man, the Az Highways one looks nice (to me).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife has that one, I'm probably going to switch the C10 to a copper plate.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So my S2k just started throwing the P0420 code for catalyst function. At 156k miles I figure it’s reasonable that the cat or O2 sensor gave up the ghost. Thinking of replacing the cat with a berk high flow and slapping on a cat back, hopefully one that isn’t obnoxious. A search shows that people say the Tanabe dual exit isn’t too bad, wondering if people had any thoughts.

I have an Apexi dual exit right now and the drone at highway speeds is pretty annoying, hoping to get rid of that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stick a Berk HFC on it with an OEM catback, then get a flashpro (if DBW AP2) or greddy emu with karcepts tune or whatever

These things drone like garbage with pretty much every catback and there is basically no power to be gained from a non-oem off the shelf header or catback. HFC and tune are the only low hanging fruit power wise with the F20C/F22C.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If you can afford it get a gern pipe from Urge instead of a test pipe. They make more power

BlackMK4 posted:

Stick a Berk HFC on it with an OEM catback, then get a flashpro (if DBW AP2) or greddy emu with karcepts tune or whatever

These things drone like garbage with pretty much every catback and there is basically no power to be gained from a non-oem off the shelf header or catback. HFC and tune are the only low hanging fruit power wise with the F20C/F22C.

Urge and J's Racing headers are the only headers that actually do anything for this car, they do make gains. I laugh at all the idiots who buy poo poo like PLM headers. I have seen Ballade claim that they are equal to or better than J's Racing but I am skeptical of that given their questionable reputation at times

Myself I am going to get an Urge header w/ gern pipe and keep my stock muffler set up. Unless I buy another car... I found a low miles laguna w/ OEM HT for sale and I have been drooling over it for a few days trying to decide if I should just loving send it or actually be responsible :sweatdrop:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 27, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Urge header is $$$$$$ and the PLM is an exact J's clone. Karcepts recommends them, but it is pretty much only for weight savings.

Ballade is garbage, like you say. The real development the F20C happened in the midget circles, but for whatever reason basically none of it has come back to the actual cars.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The Urge header is $$$$$$ and the PLM is an exact J's clone. Karcepts recommends them, but it is pretty much only for weight savings.

Ballade is garbage, like you say. The real development the F20C happened in the midget circles, but for whatever reason basically none of it has come back to the actual cars.

Urge header is like 1200 bucks that isn't bad for a header that actually does something

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A "new" 2009 on BaT

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

:chanpop:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Somehow makes me feel better that mine is in... well loved... condition and worth next to nothing. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Somehow makes me feel better that mine is in... well loved... condition and worth next to nothing. :v:

I should have bought one with more miles on it. I still drive it and have fun with it but I worry too much about things like people hitting me and poo poo.

I'm still considering grabbing a second one that will actually get driven more than a couple thousand miles a year. It all depends on what I replace my GTI with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I should have bought one with more miles on it. I still drive it and have fun with it but I worry too much about things like people hitting me and poo poo.

I'm still considering grabbing a second one that will actually get driven more than a couple thousand miles a year. It all depends on what I replace my GTI with.

I pulled the top off mine as it is getting wrapped black this week, so I drove it to work today. I really need a second one as a daily driver.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I pulled the top off mine as it is getting wrapped black this week, so I drove it to work today. I really need a second one as a daily driver.

I wish one would work for me as my only DD. I do way too much outdoorsy poo poo and need something more useful. I'm having to move and there's a good chance I end up in a townhouse/condo with limited parking and that probably kills any realistic chance of a 3 car setup.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

Ordered a stoptech bbk for the s2000. Additionally, a brand new urge header popped up for sale in CT right near where I go out to play street fighter sometimes, and since tonight is the night that event runs I am making the trip out. Two birds with one stone. I also need to find wheels that will clear the brakes, ideally without having to hack up my fenders super bad. Suffice to say, options are limited since I refuse to use silver or black wheels as they are boring

M3 needs an oil change, and I'm probably going to change the rod bearings when I do it since it makes sense. I am not in a huge rush to.do that at the moment so for the time being it's just chilling.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Nodoze posted:

Ordered a stoptech bbk for the s2000.

Wait you're not blackmk4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol, everyone give jamal your wallet, it will be in good hands

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, everyone give jamal your wallet, it will be in good hands

what wheels are you gonna use?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have Wedsport SA72R in 17x10 +55 now. I've got four days on them and it is a pretty nice change with respect to how the tire feels as it loads up and lets go, downside is that with a 255/40 the rim touches the ground before the tire. I have unfortunately managed to curb rash them by accident by carelessly swapping wheels when I was trying to cord my old wheel set.

Jamal is sending the Stoptech C43 race kit with the floating rotors / SR33 pads.

On the upside, I am leading both overall and class points for the local time attack series, so that's cool.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 14, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I have Wedsport SA72R in 17x10 +55 now. I've got four days on them and it is a pretty nice change with respect to how the tire feels as it loads up and lets go, downside is that with a 255/40 the rim touches the ground before the tire. I have unfortunately managed to curb rash them by accident by carelessly swapping wheels when I was trying to cord my old wheel set.

Jamal is sending the Stoptech C43 race kit with the floating rotors / SR33 pads.

On the upside, I am leading both overall and class points for the local time attack series, so that's cool.

I'm having a hard time finding something to clear ST40 in a style I like without having to run spacers or totally mash my fenders

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, you're kinda screwed there. What are you looking for other than color? Price range, spoke style, size, etc

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, you're kinda screwed there. What are you looking for other than color? Price range, spoke style, size, etc

I've been looking at CE28s so something that style. I don't really like super thin spokes. Looking to stay staggered, prob 17x8 17x9 or 9 x10

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For some reason I thought you were already on a 17x8 / 17x9 RPF1 stagger already. If not, the 8 clears the fender and your brakes and the rear definitely isn't too bad to deal with, especially if you run a 245. I think you already know that though :v:

What about the 17x9 +49 TC105N? Or NT03

CE28 is baller tho, do it

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 15, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

For some reason I thought you were already on a 17x8 / 17x9 RPF1 stagger already. If not, the 8 clears the fender and your brakes and the rear definitely isn't too bad to deal with, especially if you run a 245. I think you already know that though :v:

What about the 17x9 +49 TC105N? Or NT03

CE28 is baller tho, do it

No i'm still on AP2 V1s. RPF1 are a last resort lol, the everymans wheel

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
True story

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey, so my stock suspension has going on 150k and is getting pretty tired. Ive been planning on just getting OEM replacements, but have been wondering about some entry level coilovers instead. Specifically, the HKS hipermax gt coilovers. My driving is mostly typical daily driving/commute with some occasional canyon drives and maybe a track day this summer. If the ride wont be any worse than stock, but would cut down on body roll and harshness, i might want to try them. Anyone have any opinions on the HKS coilovers, or maybe have a recommendation for a good budget upgrade to the stock suspension?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
price range?

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
The HKS GTs are about 1200, so id like to keep it around that area.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

My understanding is the HKS are another relabeled taiwan product (like made by BC racing), not that they are trash but personally I would be looking at other stuff.

For about the same price (maybe a little more) you can get Bilsteins or a version of a KW.

There are two bilsteins and four (although actually just two with different labels) KW products in that range, The Variant 1, the Greddy x KW, and ST's X and XTA.

The greddy and XTA are essentially the same thing. They have a rebound adjuster and spherical bearing top mounts.
The ST X and KW V1 have no top mounts and no damping adjustment.
The KWs have no damping adjustment, and you use the stock tops, and the reason they cost as much is the stainless steel housing compared to galvanized.
All have the same spring rates front and rear. 80n-mm square. Which is about 450 lb/in.
Long term the KWs may hold up slightly better, and will be a little quieter due to the tops, but you are paying more than the xta/greddy and don't get top mounts or a knob.

Basically the only reason to choose one version over the other is pricing and availability. Looks like my cost on for the XTA is $40 less than the greddy, despite them being the same thing.

Bilstein's equivalent to the V1 and ST X are the B14 PSS, and the B16 PSS9 would compare to the Greddy, XTA, and more expensive variant 2.

You can almost pull a name out of a hat as they are all really similar. If bilsteins were available I'd maybe lean toward either of those, but they are having supply/manufacturing issues and both are still listed as "not available at mfg." I do need to check on some bmw parts so will have my distributor bug them next week and try to get an eta on those specific parts.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 6, 2019

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Thanks for that info blast! It looks like the bilstine B14s will be what I want. Thanks again!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Nodoze posted:

M3 needs an oil change, and I'm probably going to change the rod bearings when I do it since it makes sense.

The ultimate driving machine :shepspends:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hedgegnome posted:

Thanks for that info blast! It looks like the bilstine B14s will be what I want. Thanks again!

Depends how long you want to wait. Bilstein's eta for both the B14 and B16 is "mid june." The estimates I've been getting for other stuff over the last year or so has been fairly generous and I don't put a ton of faith in that, but it is getting a little better.

You could have the st/kw/greddy stuff (and hks) right away.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If you don't wanna use bilsteins or KW/Ohlins then the custom fortune autos from TH Motorsports are good.

Also update:

M3:
Replaced my crusty rear end window trims with shadowline trim I had bought last summer. poo poo looks good. Also replaced my worn out shift knob (thanks PO) with a brand new e92 M3 shift knob. It's a direct fix with some boot trimming, and the LED is way better than the stock e46 one. It also looks super nice :cool: Have new rod bearings sitting in the box, they are going in soon.

s2000:
My st40s got shipped. I put a deposit down on a set of bronze CE28s that are in a shipment from japan. I also picked up a set of barely used billet diff mounts from one of the FB groups for a good price.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Update:

M3: Replaced rod bearings, more or less just in time. Phone posting so no pictures right now, but there are some in the BMW thread that I shared. I put my new steering wheel on with some placeholder trim so I can send mine out to get refinished by this guy on m3forum. A new bottom trim is 184 dollars lol, so we repaint the old one instead. Eventually my friend will do the wiring conversion for steering controls and cruise control, and I have an e39 m5 wiper stalk to move mtrak to just to keep the functionality. If your asking why I need to do this its because zcp package cost more for peasant functionality, who needs steering wheel controls. But mtrak :rolleyes:

S2000: still waiting on my wheels to get delivered. No real ETA so it hasn't been moving much, which is ok since I need to break the stupid rod bearings in on the m3. I'll probably tackle doing the spark plugs and poo poo once it stops raining. It's been raining for what feels like a month straight in New England.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Quick update:

Changed the spark plugs in the s2000 today since I didnt switch stores yet and had some free time when it wasn't actually raining. They all looked good except for cylinder #2 which was covered in oil. Not like oh the plug has some black on it where oil burned off, actually covered in wet dripping oil.
gently caress. I just buttoned it back up in anger, but I suspect the spark plug tube seal is not seated correctly since the other three are bone dry. This would not surprise me since I am not very impressed with the place that adjusted my valves. They gave me the car back super low on oil, and when I popped the plug cover off the bolts holding on the ignition coils were either already loose or torqued with the hand of God. Unfortunately the cylinder that's leaking isnt one of the ones that was loose, go figure. Given their lack of attention to detail, it wouldn't surprise me if they either pinched the tube seal and tore it, or it's just not sat right at all. Either way I'll have to take the valve cover off and see, but I'm going to get another tube seal before I do.

On the plus side, if there is a real problem at least I already have a backup cylinder head sitting in a box :smithicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Best part is you have to buy the entire VC set :munch: At least it also includes those silver washers for the valve cover bolts that actually matter in terms of everything sealing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Best part is you have to buy the entire VC set :munch: At least it also includes those silver washers for the valve cover bolts that actually matter in terms of everything sealing

I think you can get the spark plug tube seal separate, at least that's how I remember doing it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

To follow up on this, you can in fact just get one. I took the valve cover off and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway :raise:

I just took it out for a drive to make sure nothings leaking that I took apart and it felt okay so who knows. I'll check the plug tomorrow and see if it's covered in oil again or not as I can't pull it out now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

To follow up on this, you can in fact just get one. I took the valve cover off and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway :raise:

I just took it out for a drive to make sure nothings leaking that I took apart and it felt okay so who knows. I'll check the plug tomorrow and see if it's covered in oil again or not as I can't pull it out now

TIL :) Hopefully all is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Updates:

M3 rod bearings have been broken in for a few weeks now. I snagged a Dynavin n6 off one of the FB groups for a really good price since my stock nav unit has dead pixels and also just kinda sucks in general. I also got a set of Rogue engineering transmission mounts and new OE engine mounts from FCP, and a new PS tank to replace my leaky one.

S2000:
I didn't post this last time but I did manage to score a complete Urge exhaust system with gern pipe from s2ki. I had initially looked at it when it was first put up and decided against it, but the guy kept lowering his price and then posted that he would split shipping on top of that so I pounced. I used my friends UPS shipping account to get the shipping even cheaper as well.

I also saw a fairly cheap supercharged NA Miata pop up on CL/FB Marketplace and the gears in my head are really turning. I want it. However space is at a premium since I am moving in with my GF soon and since I am not sure I can have all three cars there, never mind a fourth into the mix... poo poo