Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bates Motel, which just started its 4th season, is a show about a deeply dysfunctional family (the family from Hitchcock's Psycho) with lots of psychological problems that moves to a small town in Oregon called White Pine Bay. As they're trying to establish themselves in this community, things quickly fall apart all around them as they learn dark secrets about the town and themselves.

Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore deliver knockout performances as Norma and Norman Bates respectively.

Last season, Norma and Norman became closer than ever (they have a super creepy borderline incestuous relationship). Norman became more and more detached from reality. And during a psychotic episode in which Norman thought he was his mother, he killed Bradley Martin, Norman's old flame who was trying to get him to leave the dangerous environment he was in.

The show airs Monday nights at 9/8C on A&E.

I've been a big fan of this show since it started a few years ago, though it somehow slipped my mind that last night was the season premiere and I forgot to watch it as it aired :shobon: But I had DVRed it and just finished watching the episode.

Both Norma and Norman are becoming increasingly more unhinged with each episode. It's simultaneously captivating and uncomfortable to watch.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

It's so wonderfully creepy and yes, uncomfortable to watch. It's weird how I can watch siblings loving/raping each other on GOT and not blink an eye, yet Norma & Norman's incestuous vibes on this show feel genuinely disturbing and make me squirm.

I enjoyed the episode. Norman has completely lost it and Norma's behavior is really... cringey and pathetic. I'm looking forward to Normero finally coming to fruition, I just hope it's not one-sided. Poor Alex. :(

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The moms having that back and forth on the porch was so weirdly pathetic

Abandon Mom: Please help!

Murder Mom: No.

Abandon Mom: :qq:Please?!

Murder Mom: No, in fact please leave!!

Abandon Mom: :qq:But I have nowhere else to go!!

Murder Mom: Well:qq:....fine, then just go down there!

Haha I loved it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Freddie Highmore is so good.

So loving good. I mean his accent still slips up, but it doesn't matter at this point.

His Vera Farmiga impersonation got better between seasons. That poo poo with Emma's mom was excellent, especially when he first answered the door and every mannerism was pure Vera/Norma.

Really glad this show is bad and super glad someone made this thread. Would have done it myself if one didn't show by tonight.

Feeling like this will be the year where Norma starts to take how dangerous her son is a little more seriously. They need to start driving a wedge between the two so he can kill her. What I want to know is if the show ends with Norma or if they'll do one after with Vera just playing the mother in his head.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Everyone keeps saying they expect Norma to die this season, but I find it hard to imagine a full season without her. Evil fantasy Norma is cool but so much of the show (for me) is watching real Norma interact with Norman and the rest of the cast, and trying to cope with everything. I just don't know how the show would work without her. Especially now that Norman can't seem to be left alone for even an hour without going bonkers and murdering people. How will he fare by himself?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, Norman really has gone full-on batshit. I totally didn't expect him to do what he did to Emma's mom. Or not that quickly at least. He's past the point of having a normal life unless he gets help. And I seriously doubt Norma's plan to get him into that fancy institution is going to work out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's why I wonder if this will be the last season tbh. Norma living much longer would be stretching it a bit, and the show lasting beyond her too long would too.

Ideally, for me, she would die mid season next year and the back half can be Norman and his head Norma settling into their new status quo. Either that or finish it strong this year with him killing her in the finale.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 9, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, Norman really has gone full-on batshit. I totally didn't expect him to do what he did to Emma's mom. Or not that quickly at least. He's past the point of having a normal life unless he gets help. And I seriously doubt Norma's plan to get him into that fancy institution is going to work out.

I was hoping Emmas mom wouldn't die, but do that TV thing where they sort of pop back, since he didn't hold her neck long after she stopped fighting. In the mean time he has snapped out of his daze, and she goes around telling everybody he is crazy and dangerous, while everybody is sticking up for Norman and calling her mom a liar trying to get back into Emmas life.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 9, 2016

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

They have already confirmed there will be a season 5 and it's the last one. I agree her dying mid-season next year would be ideal. Killing her too early would make things weird IMO. I hope Romero doesn't die this season either... but Norman is obviously gonna want to kill his rear end. They showed a "season promo" last night during Damien and it showed Norma and Alex getting together and also Norman escaping the mental institution. I imagine once he discovers them he's gonna go apeshit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

They have already confirmed there will be a season 5 and it's the last one. I agree her dying mid-season next year would be ideal. Killing her too early would make things weird IMO. I hope Romero doesn't die this season either... but Norman is obviously gonna want to kill his rear end. They showed a "season promo" last night during Damien and it showed Norma and Alex getting together and also Norman escaping the mental institution. I imagine once he discovers them he's gonna go apeshit.

Glad there's a fifth with the plan to end it. Should give them plenty of time to decide when's best to off Norma.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, they're certainly not loving around this season. We're just one episode in and Norman killed someone already. That pit out front is gonna be put to good use. Bates Motel was fun to follow last season, since most of the dumb plots from the first two were thrown aside and they started getting to how he became Norman Bates.

The other great part of this show is the acting. Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga are both excellent and should at least get an Emmy nomination each.

Also, they made a great nod to Psycho at the end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My ideal version of the show has Norma die halfway through the final season, and the last four or so episodes act as an adaption of Psycho, with Romero playing the cop role from the film.

esperterra posted:

Glad there's a fifth with the plan to end it. Should give them plenty of time to decide when's best to off Norma.

And also Emma.

The writers are completely loving with us, with her whole lung transplant saga. It's all one big tragic shaggy dog story, since she's basically destined to be killed by Norman in the end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

My ideal version of the show has Norma die halfway through the final season, and the last four or so episodes act as an adaption of Psycho, with Romero playing the cop role from the film.

And also Emma.

The writers are completely loving with us, with her whole lung transplant saga. It's all one big tragic shaggy dog story, since she's basically destined to be killed by Norman in the end.

Yep. I'm surprised she's made it this long, really.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My hope is that Emma and Dylan run far, far away from White Pine Bay and survive the series, but we've gotta expect and prepare for the worst. Emma is too good for this hosed-up town, so it'll be a shame if/when she's offed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My DVR recorded this few minute long "Sneak Peek" at Monday night's episode, and oh boy, from what that showed, this is when Highmore's performance really kicks into overdrive and gets scarier than ever before :stare:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope we get to see more of Vera Farmiga going apeshit. The scene last season where she shoots her cell phone multiple times is so good. She was great at being flippant about everything in this episode.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
oh my god this show rules I'm so happy it's back

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stonk: Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yep, Norman's completely lost it. Jesus.

e: So uhh...is the show going to timeskip now?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 15, 2016

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Holy goddamned gently caress, Freddie Highmore better get into comedy or something or he's going to die early from this acting poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is an amazing show and I wish more people watched it.

Vera's too good at acting. How she was trying not to break down and simultaneously give Norman something she thinks he might want, as in wanting her, while going for the gun. Too good. All the Emmys goddamnit.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I don't even know what to say. That was definitely the scariest episode of the whole show so far.

I honestly feared for Norma's life towards the end there. I also thought they were gonna bang, like for real. :ohdear:

EMMY NOMS FOR VERA AND FREDDIE NOW PLS

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Knowing Norma has to die and not knowing when is going to make these last two seasons quite a ride.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Holy goddamned gently caress, Freddie Highmore better get into comedy or something or he's going to die early from this acting poo poo.
He was a monster in this episode and I can't wait to see how much scarier he gets. A+++ acting job.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, Norma and Alex are having a legit wedding ceremony complete with sappy music hahahaha

e: Woah, Dylan just said "loving" and it wasn't censored :stare: Don't think I've heard that on any show before midnight outside of People V. O.J. Simpson.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 22, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shiiiiiit, Norman went from being really close to Norma to turning on her pretty quickly. This is gonna get good :suspense:

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Wow I was WAY too stoned during that episode. It felt like they literally took someone's fanfiction and filmed it. I'm a total shipper but it did feel a tad cheesy. As much as I love Normero, I kinda hope they're building up all this sappy romance stuff just to cruelly slit our throats with it down the line (same with Dylan & Emma). That being said, Alex & Norma are so cute together. I wouldn't last five minutes alone with him before jumping his bones either, I feel you Norma.

I'm REALLY excited to see Norman's reaction when he realizes she's boning the sheriff (AND he's his new step-dad) :lol:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man Norman is going to kill those two so good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if they're going to use the friend that Norman made at the Institute as a way to bring back the gay plot they wanted to do back in the first season.

(Back when Dylan was actually a guy, and they refused to change the name when the Network stepped in and said that they weren't comfortable with bisexuality).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess the show still takes place in an Oregon where weed is illegal and selling it carries a stigma. Weed entrepreneurship (or "ganjapreneurship," if you will) is a big thing these days.

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

That being said, Alex & Norma are so cute together. I wouldn't last five minutes alone with him before jumping his bones either, I feel you Norma.

I'm REALLY excited to see Norman's reaction when he realizes she's boning the sheriff (AND he's his new step-dad) :lol:
I feel the opposite way. Emma and Dylan are genuinely adorable together (particularly Emma, who's too good for this dysfunction and whose likely looming death will be the most heartbreaking thing ever), but so far, Norma and Romero have needed booze or grief to get the love going. But I definitely feel you on what Norman is gonna do when he finds out about Norma's new husband. It won't be a positive reaction, that's for sure.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wonder if they're going to use the friend that Norman made at the Institute as a way to bring back the gay plot they wanted to do back in the first season.
Speaking of someone's fanfiction....

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

The network wasn't comfortable with bisexuality?! But incest, rape and murder is okay? Wow.

Y-Hat posted:

I feel the opposite way. Emma and Dylan are genuinely adorable together (particularly Emma, who's too good for this dysfunction and whose likely looming death will be the most heartbreaking thing ever), but so far, Norma and Romero have needed booze or grief to get the love going.

True, but complicated, dysfunctional relationships are more interesting and sexy to watch. Emma and Dylan are very cute together but they're just... too sweet and vanilla. I agree Alex & Norma's relationship has been far from healthy so far, but I think there is going to be real, genuine love between them, at least for a short while before poo poo starts to hit the fan.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I think Norma will realize she feels the same way Romero does (he's been overt enough about how he feels for so long she even offered him sex for a favour earlier because 'come on, I know you're attracted to me') just in time for him to be the boyfriend (or husband, now) who dies with her.

It's tragic and I love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hooooooooly poo poo, this show is going to some weird, dark places :stare:

I mean, that could be said of lots of episodes of this show, but it never stops being true.

e: Nooooooo, they're taking next week off :smith: New episodes return 4/11.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 29, 2016

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I never would have imagined that this would be one of the best show on TV, but suffering through all those episodes of Dylan growing pot or whatever he was doing were worth it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mistermojo posted:

I never would have imagined that this would be one of the best show on TV, but suffering through all those episodes of Dylan growing pot or whatever he was doing were worth it
It really is. Monday nights are crazy. This and Better Call Saul are 2 of the best shows airing now and they come on literally back to back.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

That episode was highly entertaining. God Norma and Alex are so cute together. I'm gonna be emotionally destroyed when the inevitable happens. Also I really hope Romero doesn't get arrested or something. My guess is that he will somehow bad-rear end his way out of trouble like he usually does... I hope.

God I was having so much fun until I saw the promo... TWO WEEKS?! gently caress you A&E!

I wish this show had more of a discussion thread. Why does no one watch it?!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

I wish this show had more of a discussion thread. Why does no one watch it?!
I wish I knew :smith: I made the thread last season and it was the same way then too. In fact I actually got probated a couple years ago for posting about this show in its thread a bunch of times in a row, but that's just because no one else was watching it live. It's so good, it should have tons of viewers. I don't know what the deal is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wish I knew :smith: I made the thread last season and it was the same way then too. In fact I actually got probated a couple years ago for posting about this show in its thread a bunch of times in a row, but that's just because no one else was watching it live. It's so good, it should have tons of viewers. I don't know what the deal is.

My roommates and I all watch the show, but we wait until the season is over and then just plow through it in a couple of days. Its just one of those shows we don't like enough to keep up with in real time, but enough to keep all the seasons on our DVR. Kind of an odd niche.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I guess it is kind of a weird show. Part psychological thriller, part soap opera, part cringe. Maybe the audience expects more of an action-packed horror fest instead of a slow burn too, I don't know. For me personally, I've fallen in love with the characters. The acting is so good, particularly Vera and Freddie. And I think Norma is absolutely hilarious. She is one of my favorite characters in anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Screw the weed wars, the worst throwaway subplots were the ones that tried to make the origin story of Norman Bates into some stupid teenage romance. Luckily, all the stupid stuff was abandoned last season, and the "Sheriff Romero vs. the White Pine Bay powers that be" subplot was good enough to not take away from the overall quality, even though it's now obvious that this was clearly just a way to drag him further into the main plot.

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

I wish this show had more of a discussion thread.
Careful what you wish for. The greater the post count in a TVIV thread, the worse it is. I guess that applies to anywhere on the forums, but especially here.

• Locked thread