Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dustoph posted:

Add her income to the budget. Add her spending to the budget. Presto, combined budget.
Yep. It's really needed. She can have her own blow money and she can keep funding groceries. But you're a joint venture now. Account like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You don't really have Separate Finances if you're planning on using your wife's inheritance to wipe out your personal debt...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I will post the combined budget this evening. I have no idea how stylesheets of imgur are blocked but the site itself isn't. When whatever sheet is blocked the blasted thing won't upload :rolleye:

Sister-in-law signed the letter of declination and nomination, so now my wife is in control of everything. Will be closing his accounts and opening them in the trust name today. Also paid his insurance premium yesterday and filed a claim for the biohazard removal and the adjuster will get in there for fixing the subfloor and replacing the carpet.

There we go. I hope this helps. I've calculated based off of me getting 40 hour weeks and my wife getting 25's...since that's what's happening. I got some nice OT today though :buddy:

Groceries and litter gets combined since we've found that getting litter at places like petsmart is more expensive, however that works. Weekly groceries we usually keep under $139, with litter being around $17 a week.

Accounts are closed and the checks to start up the trust account have been fedexed. A little over $90K in both accounts. We really hope sister in law doesn't use this to go on a herion bender. It'd be a shame to see it all pissed away like that. Maybe we should invoke the drug testing clause once this is all said & done...

Catte Tax: Say hello to Cracker, with bonus mini key fob. He's so chatty and pretty much a perma-kitten

e: this is where my personal stuff is at as of this morning.

'Alicia' is for when I charge something for the spousal unit, gifts and poo poo.
Really want to use that money to pay off the foundation...

car repairs is wheel bearings for my car. I got a whole 2mpg out of that! Also was quoted $470 to replace by the dealer, so I did them myself.:smuggo: seriously a wheel felt like it was gonna fall off.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 18, 2016

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Oh man, 11 cats and a Mini Cooper: this thread delivers.

You need to prioritize. You guys just don't make enough money to justify a financed Mini and a $150/mo cell phone bill. $30/mo for pool access?

You are $700 in the hole each month! Even if you did manage to pay off all of your debt, you'd still have no money left over each month. You need need need to cut expenses to the bone until your wife finds a better paying job, that means no MINI, no pool, cheap phones.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

$3900 per year HOA.

Plus whatever 11 cats cost.

Oh and here is his contributions to KG's thread. I'm going to wait to read it until I have a strong drink in front of me.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

oRenj9 posted:

Oh man, 11 cats and a Mini Cooper: this thread delivers.

You need to prioritize. You guys just don't make enough money to justify a financed Mini and a $150/mo cell phone bill. $30/mo for pool access?

You are $700 in the hole each month! Even if you did manage to pay off all of your debt, you'd still have no money left over each month. You need need need to cut expenses to the bone until your wife finds a better paying job, that means no MINI, no pool, cheap phones.
Cricket may be a good phone savings tool. $70/mo for 2 lines with 2.5GB of data. Though I think the real solution will be no MINI and real job for wife.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Oh and here is his contributions to KG's thread. I'm going to wait to read it until I have a strong drink in front of me.
Those in glass houses shouldn't cast stones, I know.

SiGmA_X posted:

Cricket may be a good phone savings tool. $70/mo for 2 lines with 2.5GB of data. Though I think the real solution will be no MINI and real job for wife.

I still owe $267 on that s5 from replacing her old phone last year. I have about $963 sitting in checking and I'd like to make some progress on my debt. I was thinking of paying off that $267, which would save me about $22/month and then I can move either to another carrier altogether, or go to tmobile's prepaid setup. I've been going with mobile data turned off to see what it's like and honestly I think it's great. I miss being able to listen to pandora in the car, but I guess I can come back to that later. Mobile data is $10/month per phone ($20/mo for both). It's amazing that the base plan is $80/month for both phones and all the taxes, fees, and add-ons make it so expensive. If I cancelled mobile data on both and paid off the one, it'd still be $100+ after taxes.

I can't sell the MINI because it's worth less than what I owe and then I'd still have to come up with another car. We both work quite far from home, seeing as my work just relocated to a rural area. My commute is now 22 miles one way instead of 4 like it used to be. Having one car would make it un-possible for her to get a second job. There is no public transportation to our jobs. Houston is a car city. Fairly certain she'll pay off the car right away once she either gets better employment or once the house in CA sells.

She's been working on getting a 'real' job, but I've already covered that.

Beyond that, I'd like to pay a whole bunch into the smallest balance, like the Foundation. $696 to that would be really nice :kiddo:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'd consider paying the phone off and switching carriers. That'd save you a fair bit per month.

I think you and your wife should setup a financial plan together but that's just me... It's hard to plan a life together when you plan separately. What's her plan for the inheritance? Mutual funds? What type? Etc.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd consider paying the phone off and switching carriers. That'd save you a fair bit per month.

I think you and your wife should setup a financial plan together but that's just me... It's hard to plan a life together when you plan separately. What's her plan for the inheritance? Mutual funds? What type? Etc.

She wants to sit on the money as much as possible and use it as her way to jump-start retirement savings. Neither of us have any at the moment. Next Thursday is a meeting at work for 401k, I would like to start contributing at least 1% to it.

Most of the reason of starting this thread is learning how to invest that kind of money. She wants to stretch the inherited roths as much as possible and re-save the RMD's. I guess that could go back as another roth? Neither of us have had money to invest so neither of us knows what to look for :shrug: the general plan is 'pay off all the debts and bank the rest'. The specifics is why I'm here.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why are you trying to pay off debts? Why aren't you just working on establishing a budget that is actually sustainable on your current income. You can use the money to wipe out all your previous gently caress ups, but you need to start living within your means...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Your debts are a symptom of the true issue which is that you are going to have a very difficult time balancing your budget without either substantially increasing your income or significantly cutting costs. You need to focus on that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can I get straight to the point and say that you should heavily consider cognitive behavioral therapy for impulse control issues. How much would it cost for you to start doing this right now?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

Why are you trying to pay off debts? Why aren't you just working on establishing a budget that is actually sustainable on your current income. You can use the money to wipe out all your previous gently caress ups, but you need to start living within your means...

My current income is ~$700+ dollars lower than it was when I collected all these different payments. My hours at work have been cut by 15 each week (that's 15@$30.75 aka overtime or $455.55/week pre-tax) If I pay off all credit cards, all loans, and the car payment, I'll have ($334+$227+$50+$143.51+$142.84+$364.41) $1261.76 less in just minimums to pay each month. I intend to close all those accounts and not re-open them. I also intend to save 6 months pay as well. We are both on board with this plan.

In other words, I'm trying to get my bills back under my means since my means decreased. Does that make more sense?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your debts are a symptom of the true issue which is that you are going to have a very difficult time balancing your budget without either substantially increasing your income or significantly cutting costs. You need to focus on that.

I'm working on cutting costs. Trying to save at least $22+ per month right now. If I can manage it, I'll scrape together enough OT to pay off that foundation loan entirely and be at $164.84 less bills a month. If I get a re-imbursement check from the trust ($1770+) I'll knock that one out and cut a check to the escrow company and knock the house payment down from $859/mo to $775/mo, they're making up a $1090 escrow shortage... That'd put me $247.84 closer to...breaking even :negative:

Veskit posted:

Can I get straight to the point and say that you should heavily consider cognitive behavioral therapy for impulse control issues. How much would it cost for you to start doing this right now?

I believe that's a $20 copay. Help with impulse control (but please no more brain drugs) would be fantastic. Normally I just exercise myself to exhaustion to keep my mind off of ~wants~
e: to-add to that, some help with my drinking issues would probably help a lot of other issues too. Booze is pricey and makes me a butthead.
e2: http://www.houstonmethodist.org/psychiatry/personality-disorders/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/ Is that what you mean, Veskit? They're in my network, so that's $20 copay.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 23, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BloodBag posted:

I believe that's a $20 copay. Help with impulse control (but please no more brain drugs) would be fantastic. Normally I just exercise myself to exhaustion to keep my mind off of ~wants~
e: to-add to that, some help with my drinking issues would probably help a lot of other issues too. Booze is pricey and makes me a butthead.
e2: http://www.houstonmethodist.org/psychiatry/personality-disorders/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/ Is that what you mean, Veskit? They're in my network, so that's $20 copay.

That's exactly it. Also I'm not sure if i saw it or not, but if you don't mind what did you get diagnosed with?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

That's exactly it. Also I'm not sure if i saw it or not, but if you don't mind what did you get diagnosed with?

I can't remember the exact thing anymore, but it was like a rapid swinging manic/depressive. Atypical depressive with manic episodes or something like that. It's been like 17 years now...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Uhhh you still see your psychiatrist right? At least once every 3 months.

You have a mental disorder that is in direct conflict with your budget. You should really make that a huge part of your plan to fix your lifestyle. Also I have a pretty useful book if you want if you're open to it I can send it to you or give you the name of it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

Uhhh you still see your psychiatrist right? At least once every 3 months.

You have a mental disorder that is in direct conflict with your budget. You should really make that a huge part of your plan to fix your lifestyle. Also I have a pretty useful book if you want if you're open to it I can send it to you or give you the name of it.

I stopped seeing a psychiatrist in 2003 when I moved to Houston. I also went off the brain drugs then too. I agree that I'm a broken person and cbt did help back then to some degree. I didn't like what the drugs did to me though. I'm interested in this book though. I guess if I at least work on my mental problems then I won't seem so confusing at times to my saint-like wife. Hopefully I can be more disciplined in everything I do. As no surprise to anyone, the guy with money problems also has problems with keeping on a diet. Shocking, I know. Discipline always was externally enforced by my Mother when I was a child and once that guiding hand was removed, I had a real hard time adjusting.

A lot of this came from watching my parents spending and then thinking once I got my first job out of college, I could continue in that lifestyle, minus the 30 years of experience they had on me. What an idiot.

These days most of my adhering to a budget comes strictly from avoidance of exposure to shopping opportunities. Where I fall down hard these days is in the grocery store. Particularly in the beer & wine section. I've been a loving champ since this thread started and have not gotten cheetos or monsters anymore! :buddy: Still. most of my 'grocery' is wine and bacon :ughh:

e: when I was younger, the only time my parents weren't fighting was when they were buying something. Mostly cars. That was the only time I saw them act as a team. I hated playing referee between those two all the time :smith:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 23, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Therapy is great and all but you should revisit a psychiatrist and put in the work to find a good combination that works for you. There's a lot of new treatments that have come out past 2003 so you're not just doing an insane upper like abilify and having it drastically change who you are and mess up parts of your life. At least see a psychiatrist sporadically and try one drug at a time and see what happens.

PM me your address and I'll send the book over.

CBT is great, and it'll help a lot, but really really really consider going back on a daily regime of medications to get things really under control. I have to imagine the drinking, the incredible bursts of anger, depressions, spending sprees, ruined friendships all getting old at this point. These are all assumptions that I'm guessing are correct.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

CBT is great, and it'll help a lot, but really really really consider going back on a daily regime of medications to get things really under control. I have to imagine the drinking, the incredible bursts of anger, depressions, spending sprees, ruined friendships all getting old at this point. These are all assumptions that I'm guessing are correct.

:stare:

You seem to know your poo poo. And alcohol acts like an amplifier to it all once I've had enough. Particularly the ruined friendships bit. Have meds moved on since celexa/wellbutrin? Celexa did fuckall except make me fat as hell. Wellbutrin seemed to be working, but made me more suicidal.

loving hell. it's E/N with numbers again.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well when you live it you learn it...

If I go into medications and things like that in any depth it'll really start to be in E/N territory and not BFC so I'll say that you should see a psychiatrist and really vent out your worries and concerns. Also make sure you talk to someone who understands your needs and if that means you can handle going through rough patches with medications to get to a better end or if it's bad you just want to end and move on. There are options lots of them!

Also out of curiosity did you have seizures ever? Before or after wellbutrin?

Lastly if you want more advice or someone to talk to PM me and I'll be happy to. Again I think figuring this out is vital to getting budgeting to a manageable place, which is why I think it's important to ask.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

A lot of this came from watching my parents spending and then thinking once I got my first job out of college, I could continue in that lifestyle, minus the 30 years of experience they had on me. What an idiot.

Lots of people do that. Most seem to have a considerable disconnect in relation to money and lifestyle. Although when you're young it's mostly unsurprising.

You've got some good advice there to try to get you in the right headspace. Hopefully you can unbreak your cashflow problem in conjunction with that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You should be seeing a psychiatrist assuming the initial diagnosis was correct.

The YNAB screenshot you posted is not a budget, it appears that it's just what you've spent so far this month. Where is your budget?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

n8r posted:

You should be seeing a psychiatrist assuming the initial diagnosis was correct.

There's no way to know that the initial diagnosis was incorrect without seeing a psychiatrist so all in all please see a psychiatrist also.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The number of people who were raised by awful boomer parents thinking that spending 90% of your paycheck on consumer poo poo you don't need and that's ok and nomal is way too large. You'd think everyone under 30 would be very anti-consumerism after seeing how miserable all those poorly built jetskis and snowmobiles made their parents.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pryor on Fire posted:

The number of people who were raised by awful boomer parents thinking that spending 90% of your paycheck on consumer poo poo you don't need and that's ok and nomal is way too large. You'd think everyone under 30 would be very anti-consumerism after seeing how miserable all those poorly built jetskis and snowmobiles made their parents.

Seeing as my Dad was boat crazy for most of my life...I don't like boats. I also don't pick up random hobbies and toys the way my Dad does these days.

Anyway, I paid off wife's remaining balance on the phone, $265. I'm changing plans from one that's a family shared thing for $80 and 2x$10 for 3GB data to a family plan that's $80 that has 2GB built in(no data would have saved me $0). I looked at prepaid options and no-data options and it would seem the floor for t-mobile is $80(for two lines).

The phone bill will go from $141.35 down to $99.27, so that's something. That's including taxes & fees, which ends up being close to $20 in their own right. Switching carriers would have saved me maybe :10bux:

I also have a reimbursement check coming from the trust for around $1925. I'm going to wipe a debt out with that. I'm gunning for those two loans: foundation and consolidation. Either one will get rid of a ~$143 payment. My wife will use her portion of it(~$1100) to pay down her credit card :woop:

I've also sent the paperwork to cancel my gym membership. I have a triathlon coming in October, and I'm just going to suffer through the swim and make up time on the bike and run portions. No tri is ever won in the water.

In other, somewhat related news, my fundraising for the MS150 charity ride this year has been dismal. Minimum to pick up your packet and actually ride the ride is $400. I've raised $90. I was going to charge the remaining $310 before starting this thread, but I've decided I'll give it one last effort on the bookface and if I can't make the minimum by April 17th, I won't ride. I'm already in it for $105 for a jersey and $200 for training rides, but I'm done throwing good money after bad. They'll bar me from all future rides until I come up with the minimum pledge. I'm okay with that. It's just become all about the money for them lately anyway.

Work's been weird. So many people walking around without a job on their machines, and yet I'm busier than a one-legged man in an rear end kicking contest. I haven't gone under 45 hours yet. This week will be 42.5 due to tomorrow being off for good Friday. I'll continue to be careful with that OT money and keep socking it into whatever debts I can get rid of. Once that charity ride is over, my fuel dollar amount will be dropping quite a bit.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

BloodBag posted:

I looked at prepaid options and no-data options and it would seem the floor for t-mobile is $80(for two lines).

T-Mobile has a $30/month plan if you buy your SIM online or at WalMart (and your phone is eligible). You only get 100 minutes, but you get unlimited data + texting.

The online activation didn't work for me even though my SIM was eligible, but I called them to get everything set up and they were able to put the plan on my phone.

Here's a Reddit thread with some info on how to get set up if you want to go this route.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

We're going to Fidelity in a few minutes to see how to stretch the inherited roths as long as possible. I'll hopefully get a check soon to knock off one of the loans (foundation/consolidation) in the next few days. I just got moved around at my job and now have my own office. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but hopefully something good will come of it... Hopefully these ynab shots show something of a budget (at least on my end).

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

BloodBag posted:

We're going to Fidelity in a few minutes to see how to stretch the inherited roths as long as possible. I'll hopefully get a check soon to knock off one of the loans (foundation/consolidation) in the next few days. I just got moved around at my job and now have my own office. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but hopefully something good will come of it... Hopefully these ynab shots show something of a budget (at least on my end).

At a minimum they probably want to retain you by giving you your own office and spending the time and labor to move you into it.

That of course may mean that they're resorting to the office to retain you instead of money but v:shobon:v

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looks like fidelity found another $50k :shepface: reinvesting it all

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What are you invested in?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SiGmA_X posted:

What are you invested in?

So far it's all the fidelity "growth"...thing. Once all the accounts are set up and all the trust stuff is done I can give more details. It's two rollovers, one roth, and one really tiny (sub $10) money market. The two biggest ones are about $750K combined in that rollover and the smaller one is an inherited roth of about $50k. I'll give the stuff to the trust attorney so the RMD from that can go to the trust account. That'd bring the trust account to around $110K. Hopefully once the biohazard stuff is taken care of in the house we can get rolling on selling that, splitting the trust, and then figuring out where to go from there. After consulting with the realtor and the attorney, it looks like the stuff in the house isn't worth enough to do an estate sale and too risky to do a yard sale, so we've gone with donating it all to charity.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You're going to spend $79 on groceries and $8 at restaurants in April? drat dude you gonna get skinny.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Edit : I am dumb.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 3, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:zombie:Thread, rise from your grave :zombie:

Posting with some updates. All debts are paid off. The house is paid off. My wife will be taking whatever RMD's (I think like $7k annually at first) that come from her fidelity inherited Roths( ~$380k) and putting them right back into [investment vehicle]. I have no idea what the vehicle would be, I was thinking mutual funds or a brokerage account. Thoughts? The idea is to use this money to eventually retire on (including my 401k)

Most of why I'm posting is because since I no longer have any more credit card debt, I want to close them all. I have proven time and again that I, when given any rope with those things, will hang myself with it. My credit score after all this poo poo is 622. I would have $38,000 available credit across 3 cards. I had considered closing 2 and dropping the limit on the third (oldest) down to like $1000 or something. But with so much money in the bank, relatively speaking, and no debt, I kinda don't want credit cards anymore and don't want to play that game. We have no plans on moving or buying another house or car or anything really. It's pretty much just keep working and living in the lessons we've learned through all this and don't buy dumb poo poo.

I want to close all 3 credit cards and never see a credit card again. Would I be perma-hosed if I did this?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

BloodBag posted:

:zombie:Thread, rise from your grave :zombie:

Posting with some updates. All debts are paid off. The house is paid off. My wife will be taking whatever RMD's (I think like $7k annually at first) that come from her fidelity inherited Roths( ~$380k) and putting them right back into [investment vehicle]. I have no idea what the vehicle would be, I was thinking mutual funds or a brokerage account. Thoughts? The idea is to use this money to eventually retire on (including my 401k)

Most of why I'm posting is because since I no longer have any more credit card debt, I want to close them all. I have proven time and again that I, when given any rope with those things, will hang myself with it. My credit score after all this poo poo is 622. I would have $38,000 available credit across 3 cards. I had considered closing 2 and dropping the limit on the third (oldest) down to like $1000 or something. But with so much money in the bank, relatively speaking, and no debt, I kinda don't want credit cards anymore and don't want to play that game. We have no plans on moving or buying another house or car or anything really. It's pretty much just keep working and living in the lessons we've learned through all this and don't buy dumb poo poo.

I want to close all 3 credit cards and never see a credit card again. Would I be perma-hosed if I did this?

If you have no open lines of credit, your score will be hurt for sure, but if you don't trust yourself with a credit card and you have plenty of money in the bank, I'd say go for it. If you really need a credit score in the future, you can always get a secured credit card and start over.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It would definitely hurt your credit. Why not keep the lines open, and just cut up the cards so you don't spend anything on them?

also congrats!!! :toot:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The most I would consider is closing two and destroying the physical card of the third, the oldest one, and having that limit dropped from $23,000 to something more reasonable like $4,000. My wife's credit went from dog poo poo to 822 by just being on the mortgage and having her one credit card with a $3k limit. Would that be like min/maxing a credit score to do it the way I described? It's a points card with no fees and a 6% interest rate. I'm really loath to close that card just because of the terms I've negotiated on it. The other two are total dog poo poo cards. One's 13.24 interest with an annual fee of $40 with *southwest miles* that I'm gonna cash in for amazon gift cards. The other is like 12% and gently caress that card.

Maybe use it for gas to get some points and pay it off every month? I'm very nervous with myself to attempt such a thing and not be tempted. Do you actually have to use the card? USAA just sent me a thing saying no activity after 12 months closes an account automatically if it's got a $0 balance.

e: thanks, moana :parrot:

e2: this is the exact language:

USAA posted:

FSB considers an account inactive if there has been no activity for one year. Fees
and charges for inactive accounts are the same as for active accounts. FSB will not
reimburse charges for inactive accounts that later become active. FSB may be required to
turn over (or escheat) account funds to the state if the account remains inactive. If FSB does
turn over the account funds to the state, you will need to file a claim with the state to
recover the funds. FSB reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse withdrawals or
transfers from inactive accounts. FSB’s current practice is to refuse transactions for
inactive accounts.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 20, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
You have to make the best decision for you. That said:

You have had physical possession of these credit cards while getting them to a $0 balance. If you can climb out of the hole, you can also avoid falling into it.
You will increase your debt utilization for every card you close, which will reduce your credit score, but if you aren't applying for a mortgage your credit score shouldn't matter to you.
Relying solely on cash / checks / ach seems like a good idea until all your money in one financial institution becomes unavailable because that institution is going haywire. You might want to open a second account at another bank/CU/whatever so that one going down doesn't mean you can't access your money at all.

You've been making a financial plan and executing on that plan. THAT is the important part and whether or not you have credit cards or open credit card accounts is secondary. If you spend money with a credit card that you haven't planned for you're going off the plan. If you can continue to make plans and execute them, the financial tools you make available to you are not relevant.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
People who don't trust themselves with credit cards often freeze their cards in a block of ice. The time taken for the ice to thaw is long enough to get over any impulse buys, but short enough for if you have a real emergency (like emergency dental surgery or something) you can still use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You have had physical possession of these credit cards while getting them to a $0 balance. If you can climb out of the hole, you can also avoid falling into it.

He didn't climb out of debt, his wife inherited like $750k and they paid it all off along with the mortgage.

To the OP, I suggest you work towards getting a good rewards credit card that you run all your bills through and pay off monthly. This will provide you with cash back or points, as well as increased fraud prevention and other benefits like travel insurance and extended warranties. If your credit is too bad to qualify for a good credit card, you just have to wait a couple years for it to improve.

I personally use a Fidelity 2% cash back card, along with a Penfed card for gas (about 4% on gas) and an Amazon store card for amazon stuff (5%). There are possibly better options now, but at the very least I recommend a 2% cash back visa like the Fidelity one.

• Locked thread