Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Droo posted:

He didn't climb out of debt, his wife inherited like $750k and they paid it all off along with the mortgage.

To the OP, I suggest you work towards getting a good rewards credit card that you run all your bills through and pay off monthly. This will provide you with cash back or points, as well as increased fraud prevention and other benefits like travel insurance and extended warranties. If your credit is too bad to qualify for a good credit card, you just have to wait a couple years for it to improve.

I personally use a Fidelity 2% cash back card, along with a Penfed card for gas (about 4% on gas) and an Amazon store card for amazon stuff (5%). There are possibly better options now, but at the very least I recommend a 2% cash back visa like the Fidelity one.
Emphasis mine, but you are correct.

I dropped the limit on my cash back rewards card to $5,000. My wife is asking I close the other two, so I will. I had also thought of cycling the bills through the card to run points up as well. It's something like a 1% card by my math. It's also my oldest account with the lowest interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Realize that if you pay off the statement balance each month, you'll never be charged a cent of interest and therefore the rate won't actually make a difference. Many cars let you set up auto draft payments for the statement balance which will almost guarantee you never accrue interest, unless there's a bank or account error.

But if you don't trust yourself with cards, get rid of them to completely eliminate the possibility of loving up with regard to them.

• Locked thread