Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

BloodBag posted:

I will be needing some very specific advice, because there is some debate whether to take a 5 year distribution of her share of the roths, or to take required minimum distribution over the rest of her life ($350k starting at age 46 looks like about it starts at $11K/year in perpetuity) and use that to pay down debts and then re-invest it. We also would like to try to avoid getting taxed to hell and back by making a stupid mistake with how we deal with those roths. Since we’ll be selling his home in CA, we’ll also have to figure out how to take our share of that and invest it to avoid long term capital gains

You can also roll it over into your own Roth IRA instead of taking distributions, I believe.

e: nope 100% wrong

SmuglyDismissed fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Evil Robot posted:

Poster's title delivers :). This is wrong. You can roll a non-spouse's Roth IRA over to an inherited Roth IRA but RMDs must begin soon (12/31 of the year after the death) or you will have to withdraw it all within 5 years. It looks like the OP already know this though.

Ah, spouse vs non-spouse. Good to learn something new!

• Locked thread