Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I’m in quite a lot of debt right now. Here’s the figures as of 3/1/2016
code:
Mortgage:		$63,251.85	4.00%	$859.00
MasterCard 1		$22,604.65	6.00%	$344.00
MasterCard 2		$11,404.38	11.15%	$200.00
Visa			$2,312.78	13.24%	$50.00
Foundation		$1,128.70	11.99%	$142.48
Consolidation		$1,493.64	11.99%	$143.51
Mini Cooper		$14,000.00	4.00%	$364.41
wife card		$4,500.00		$75.00

Total
$120,696.00					$2,178.40
I work in production machining and my wife works part time retail with a side business that brings in a little bit of extra money. We have practically seperate finances, so her card balance and minimums are not known to me at the moment. I clear roughly $2842 Monthly, depending on how many hours we get. With oil taking a dump, this number is likely to go down. My wife clears roughly $700 a month, also based on hours. So, here’s the income v/expense.
code:
Income 				$3,542.14
Mortgage&Taxes			$859.00
HOA				$325.00
Insurance			$126.00
Phones				$145.15
internet			$64.10
Power				$130.00
Groceries			$472.00
Visa Payment			$50.00
MC Payment			$344.00
mini				$364.41
Debt Consolidation$143.51
Foundation			$142.48
MC2				$200.00
Wife card			$75.00
Gas				$100.00
Miscellaneous
Fun
Left to Budget			$1.49
As you can see, we have literally nothing after all the bills leftover to save and the credit card balances pretty much just hover where they are. We were pretty resigned to being wage slaves/debt peons until we die until last month, when we found out my Father In Law died and left his estate in a trust to my wife and her sister.

From what we’re able to determine so far, the estate is worth over $1 Million, most of it in $744,000 in fidelity roth IRA accounts. Both of us are on the same page that we want to not do what we’ve both done with any windfall and piss it all away. We want to pay all of our debts off, save up at least 6 months expenses, and basically live like nothing has changed. My plan for myself is to fully fund a roth IRA and contribute 20% to the company 401k, which sadly does not offer a match.

I will be needing some very specific advice, because there is some debate whether to take a 5 year distribution of her share of the roths, or to take required minimum distribution over the rest of her life ($350k starting at age 46 looks like about it starts at $11K/year in perpetuity) and use that to pay down debts and then re-invest it. We also would like to try to avoid getting taxed to hell and back by making a stupid mistake with how we deal with those roths. Since we’ll be selling his home in CA, we’ll also have to figure out how to take our share of that and invest it to avoid long term capital gains.

Basically, we want to follow in his footsteps of being quite miserly and careful with his money and invest wisely instead of having ‘lifestyle creep’. My parents are already saying we can move to Miami and travel and so on. Neither of us want that, at least not before we have no more debt and 6 months expenses saved. I don’t want a new car, she doesn’t want a new car, we don’t want a new house or new poo poo. We both just want to have no more debt and stack cash like her Father did; making $85,0000 a year in retirement from age 55 on.

At the moment, the debt numbers are going to look worse until we get death certificates and can take over his wells fargo accounts to pay his outstanding bills and pay back SS and the pension. We also suspect there is a life insurance policy in his safe deposit box as well. I would really appreciate some help with how to actually do this investing thing and the legalities involved with all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You don't really mention what you are going to do to avoid racking up about a year's takehome in credit card debts in the future.

That's really what the long-term goal of the thread is. The plan really depends on exactly how this trust can be distributed. If it's all lump-sum, which would be horrible for taxes, I would do all 4 cards at once, cancel all of them except the one that's presently at $22,xxx and cut it's limit way down, maybe down to $1,500 or so, for any possible hotel reservations in the future. That's the only reason I can see even keeping one. I've demonstrated over and over that when given a length of rope, I hang myself with it, financially speaking.
If it's a long, slow payout, I would save a small cushion and then cut them all up and snowball them from smallest to biggest. I really am trying to set up an environment for success. I don't trawl shopping websites or cycling gear/computer part websites because the temptation is too great.

I would also run purchases by the thread before they'd be made. I would say this thread is the beginning of an accountability thread. I would also save before-hand for a purchase. I hope my expectations and reality meet on favorable terms.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Re: Phones. We have two smartphones, mine's a galaxy s4 and hers is an s5 that I'm still paying that $20/month thing to t-mobile for replacing her previous phone. I hate it. We both have unlimited talk&text through a shared plan and the data plans are like 3Gb each. We really like t-mobile and at the time it seemed a cheaper option than at&t or verizon. Once all the stuff with the estate dies down a bit, I'll start worrying about the phones. I'm juggling too many things at the same time to add another, but I will revisit. Maybe I just check t-mobile's site or call em up for a break?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's pretty important to confirm a few lifestyle details before we delve in too deep here.

1. Can I get confirmation of how many cats?
2. How much you spending on these cats per month?
3. Post the cat room
1. 11 Cats
2. Roughly $150/month
3. Okay.

Frankly it's a cat house, no one room can fully show all the floofs. That's Taco, yes we're getting him to lose weight. Yes we have 11 litter boxes. No it doesn't smell of cat in here.

moana posted:

I don't know what coverage you have, but an option like the Republic Wireless option would save you crapton over the long haul. Mine is $10/mo I think for unlimited talk and text. No data plan, but with your debt that's a luxury and you can buy cheap bulk data through republic if you really needed to.

Also my goodness, your HOA is almost 40% of your mortgage. And you're not budgeting for home repair. I know you think this trust is going to make all your problems vanish, but right now you are spending above your means by a long shot. I agree with the other posters - your wife needs to not let you touch that money. You're going to use her dead father's money to pay off your stupid debt? And your parents are encouraging you to spend even more? It looks like you come from a family with lovely financial responsibility. How do you plan to break that cycle? And how on earth do you not know how much debt she's in? Start communicating!
We have a townhome and the HOA covers the structure but not the AC or foundation, which is what I had to get a loan to fix in January of last year. 7 pilings for $2450. I agree, we are spending above our means by a long shot, and my wife's debt is $4500, because she just maxed her one and only card out to pay for her Father's cremation.

Most of that debt is joint as my wife was stay at home for a couple years there, we also both bought ourselves and each other things here and there, but some really awful poo poo has had to go on those cards. Two insurance deductibles in just the last couple of months ($2,000) more money for damage to the home from a water leak in the wall ($2500) dealing with FIL's stuff ($2500+ and counting). For the last year I've been on straight time at 40 hours a week and no more overtime (was 55-65 for years there) So all this... bullshit stuff ends up breaking me because I hosed up and didn't follow the golden rule of machining "Live on 32 hours a week and bank the rest for when times are tough" That's where the mini came from too. We had two paid for cars and I wanted something safer for her. It goes on and on until I'm living on paying minimums and the very slightest problem sends me into more debt. I got myself into it, and hopefully this will reset everything, because I'm loving ready to be done with all this horseshit. The moment I get ahead, the next thing rears it's head to take away the slightest gain I made. IE: all those deductibles and stuff and now more tax bills and my FIL's homeowners insurance.

She's really putting me in my place these days now that she's coming into all this and I'm okay with that. She has an 800+ credit score and mine's 639. My family are one of those HENRY ones we all make fun of here and they also don't understand tax brackets. My Dad pulls in $500K+ annually and they bitch to me about a tax bill twice what I gross a year.

I want to do better and get out of this hole. Also, it looks like starting this week, I'm back down to 40's after a month of 45's :negative:

The budget looks strange like that for the sake of the code window and my lack of access to imgur uploads at work. Otherwise I'd screenshot ynab like so:

It's a loving mess. That $23,000 limit card has been pretty much at $22,000+ since January 2013.

e: you know what, gently caress it. Most of that debt is from me wanting a cool toy and not being patient. The only reason I listed the deductibles and stuff is because it wasn't something cool that I like, like a ps4 or a bicycle. I make idiotic impulse purchases and don't think things through. I stay off shopping websites because I'm easily tempted.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 10, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You used to have 12 :(

I have 2 and I spend like $100/month on food and litter. How are you doing 11 at $150! Do any of them go to the vet??

You make it sound like you spend a lot of money on Stuff, like gadgets or fun nonsense items. But I don't really see any budget line items that reflect that. Are your historicals a little misleading here?

I used to spend so much more, but since I've limited out on pretty much everything, my hands are tied. I want to cancel every card I have so I have no options to charge anything.

Mr. Crom (crumb) died from FIP. I miss him so much. He was the real chairman meow. Only had four years, but at least they were with a loving family. They're our children, since we can't have any. They're all current on vaccinations, but this year's gonna be when they all come due. Good timing, that.

He was Conan the Barbarian's God.

We've agreed that we will have no more cats. They'll die over time and they will not be 'replaced' I'll be devastated when Taco goes. He's my son.

I'm only doing the money I can control because frankly, that's really the problem. My wife takes care of the cats, I take care of everything else (minus groceries). It's worked for us for 9 years! (I've just been lovely at credit for all of them)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Supreme Allah posted:

That HOA must be quarterly, surely.

It's monthly. It used to be $275 when we first got the home in 2012. There's also a usual $1000 special assessment a year. They're in great shape compared to other complexes in the area that have cheaper HOA dues. The home was $85,000 in 2012 and it's very close to work. I can't touch a single family home in the area for under $250,000 and rising. Most of them are $300K plus. Houston real estate continues to seem cheap to people who don't live here, but lately people moving here from other places has been pushing up prices and property taxes seem rapacious. At least the units with the same floorplan are selling for $160K+ these days :frogbon:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

How do you not know your wife's finances at all? Why is she only making $700 per month?

The amount of money you're looking at is the sort of thing that invested wisely would potentially allow you to retire young, or you could piss away in 5-10 years with nothing to show from it other than cat furniture and lovely electronics.

The YNAB screenshot you posted isn't even close to a budget, how much money do you plan on spending for food in March?

Do you plan on staying in Houston? It sounds like your job may be on the verge of losing your job. Do you think you could actually sell your place for $160k? I'd be drat tempted to sell the condo, use the profits to pay off the horrible financial decisions, and either rent in Houston, or consider relocating to Florida.

I don't know her finances because we have separate finances.

My YNAB is a mess because I don't like how it is always in the negative and I can't time bills right that way. I don't make enough at the moment to get a month of money in the bank and do it like they suggest you do it. I end up using paper and excel to figure out how to pay for everything. On 40 hour weeks, I'm short a minimum $300 a month. They also just cut our hours to 40s again. The only budget I can really stick to is 'spend nothing except for bills'. Groceries is basically monsters and cheetos. Also Wine. All of which are getting cut the gently caress out. My FIL died from a heart attack and I don't want to share his fate over some salty bullshit.

Our plan is to stay in Houston. My family and my wife's family are both here and my wife doesn't want to leave before her Mom passes. Those two are quite close. I really like my in-laws and Doug's passing has affected me a lot. I cried myself awake this morning. Never had that happen before. Rents are still way out of whack here and honestly living a bit closer to work is really not something we'd like. It's in a stupid suburb of Houston called Katy. Neither of us want to live in Katy.

I hope they don't cut me at work. The most I can hope for is seeing how they'll lose capability if they do so. I was told by the president I'm one of the core guys and one who's job he's protecting.

Knyteguy posted:

Bloodbag you get on my rear end about finances often enough, so here's my chance: please don't do this. I pissed away $89,000 when I was younger on trips and cars and computers and fancy watches, and it's a huge regret of mine. I even had a cool plan on how to invest it in education and to increase my money and I lost like $20,000-$30,000 in "safe" stocks in 2008 and yadda yadda.

Be wise man.

Hey buddy! I pissed away $30,000 on cars when I was about 10 years younger and another $35,000 only five years ago. I will cancel all my credit cards once they're paid. I seem to hang myself with as little rope as I've been given. I have a car and a house. I honestly don't give a poo poo about credit scores anymore. Part of me wants to settle with the credit card companies, but 7 years is a long time...

We discussed debts and such, she will pay off our debts in time. She wants to get us both debt free and just let the money in fidelity sit there and build like the German Empire. She doesn't want to touch it. When I asked her if she'd just pay off what's in our name (house/car) she said all of our debts. She also made it clear that if I ran my poo poo up again she'd be very disappointed... Hence why I'll close it all when it's paid. My plan is to get my retirement nest egg going again and stay away from 'the shiny'.

We just got the death certificates and his ashes. :negative: I wish I had one more day with him.

e: Since my wife has not only Coeliac disease but also is allergic to legumes, dairy, nightshades, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting, 100% of our food is home-cooked. My lunch is chicken breast with brown rice. Hers is eggs & pineapple. Dinner is either chicken or beef with either rice or steamed broccoli. Every day. I have some other stuff here and there, but all in all it's pretty much an Oxygen magazine clean eating diet aside from when I fall off the wagon and go get cheetos and a monster after a bike ride. I swim/bike/and run. She runs and bikes. I have a gym membership for $30 a month so I have access to a pool. If anyone has some houston-specific tips for getting into a 25 yard minimum pool for less, I'm all ears. gently caress Gyms.

e2: exercise is our church, and my therapy. I was in therapy and on medication for sadbrains many moons ago. The meds (celexa) made me gain weight in a hurry and did not make me less depressed. I was moved to a pretty heavy dose of wellbutrin after that and ended up suicidal, so I stopped that and started riding my bike. That goddamn thing saved my life. Exercise is the only thing that keeps me in good spirits. I've been off any sadbrains meds for 13 years now thanks to it :unsmith:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 13, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

You guys need to be pooling at least some of your finances. I don't know what's up with your YNAB but perhaps it's not the right software for you? It's not terribly hard to actually make a budget, god forbid even on paper.

You didn't answer why your wife is making only $700 a month.

First and foremost both you and your wife, combined, need to be spending less than what you are making. What plans are you putting this in place to make this happen?

Once I'm done with my ride today I'll put it all in and post it.

My wife works part time retail, 25 hours a week @ $8.60/hr. Putting that into paycheckcity, I'm getting $386 every two weeks or $772.

She's been trying to get a better full time job and applying and interviewing. I guess her not having a degree is the drawback right now? Houston has a bunch of recently laid off professionals hitting the market and making even entry level stuff super competitive :shrug:

I've been entertaining getting a part time job on the weekends, but my full time job has me come in on Saturdays every so often. It's really hard to plan around this job because the hours have been changing a lot. I used to get a minimum of 55s. 6-5:30 M-F and Sat/sun if I wanted them. Then it was rotating Fridays off, then it was 4-10s with Fridays off, unless they wanted you to work on Friday. Then it was 6-3:30 M-F. Now it's 6-3:30 M-Thurs and a half day on Friday, unless they want you for the whole day.

A lot of dudes have taken to driving Uber, which I'm not about to do, thanks to the BWM thread. Not to mention the wear & tear on an 8 year old Subaru. I'll get the budget up and we can all go over it.

At the moment I'm quite sure my wife and I will stick with separate finances. She pays for groceries, gas for her car, and cat stuff, I take care of the rest.

E: Sweet loving christ, I'm in a hole when I'm on 40 hour weeks. Way worse than I thought. No wonder I feel like I've been sinking this whole last year.:suicide:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 13, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

You and your wife need to be pooling your money to keep your head above water. Until the windfall comes through, you need to look at cutting back on all that non-essential stuff like phones/hulu/etc. Your wife should be looking to get a second job or getting a full time job.

In the short term, you and your wife need to start working together as a team financially. This means that you both pay some portion of the mortgage and working collectively on your finances. Why do you pay all of the mortgage and most all of the other bills? Most people with separate finances at least do some sort of balancing of the money where everyone is contributing.

You need to start at least breaking even or not missing payments so your debt/credit does not get worse.

My wife contributes what she can financially. The only thing she can afford to cover is groceries, gas for her car, and feeding/litter and vet stuff for the cats. Our finances are separate, but not equal. I don't know how else I can explain it. I have no expectations of her to be able to pay for half of everything because she hasn't been able to land a position that pays enough for her to do so. She pays for what she can, and I pay for what I can. I don't look over her shoulder at her bank stuff and she doesn't look at mine. Just because we're married doesn't mean we have to combine that too. That tore her parents relationship apart and it continues to be a huge argument generator for my parents. We just don't want that added stress. When she makes more money, she'll cover half of everything like she used to when we made equal money, pre-2010.

I'm not missing payments, I'm just continuing being deeper in debt. Looks like I'll have to take on the homeowners insurance for my FIL's house until my wife's sister gets her rear end in gear and either signs over control or actually participates. There's $790 up front, due on the 20th of this month and $400+ monthly until the house sells. Guess I'll have to take out another loan and get paid back on the flipside from the estate. :sigh:

At least we were able to determine he's got $89K between savings and checking. I just want to pay his bills and not have his house go uninsured. Farmers won't renew the policy if it lapses. He set a hell of an example of how to household his money, that's for sure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I will post the combined budget this evening. I have no idea how stylesheets of imgur are blocked but the site itself isn't. When whatever sheet is blocked the blasted thing won't upload :rolleye:

Sister-in-law signed the letter of declination and nomination, so now my wife is in control of everything. Will be closing his accounts and opening them in the trust name today. Also paid his insurance premium yesterday and filed a claim for the biohazard removal and the adjuster will get in there for fixing the subfloor and replacing the carpet.

There we go. I hope this helps. I've calculated based off of me getting 40 hour weeks and my wife getting 25's...since that's what's happening. I got some nice OT today though :buddy:

Groceries and litter gets combined since we've found that getting litter at places like petsmart is more expensive, however that works. Weekly groceries we usually keep under $139, with litter being around $17 a week.

Accounts are closed and the checks to start up the trust account have been fedexed. A little over $90K in both accounts. We really hope sister in law doesn't use this to go on a herion bender. It'd be a shame to see it all pissed away like that. Maybe we should invoke the drug testing clause once this is all said & done...

Catte Tax: Say hello to Cracker, with bonus mini key fob. He's so chatty and pretty much a perma-kitten

e: this is where my personal stuff is at as of this morning.

'Alicia' is for when I charge something for the spousal unit, gifts and poo poo.
Really want to use that money to pay off the foundation...

car repairs is wheel bearings for my car. I got a whole 2mpg out of that! Also was quoted $470 to replace by the dealer, so I did them myself.:smuggo: seriously a wheel felt like it was gonna fall off.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 18, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Oh and here is his contributions to KG's thread. I'm going to wait to read it until I have a strong drink in front of me.
Those in glass houses shouldn't cast stones, I know.

SiGmA_X posted:

Cricket may be a good phone savings tool. $70/mo for 2 lines with 2.5GB of data. Though I think the real solution will be no MINI and real job for wife.

I still owe $267 on that s5 from replacing her old phone last year. I have about $963 sitting in checking and I'd like to make some progress on my debt. I was thinking of paying off that $267, which would save me about $22/month and then I can move either to another carrier altogether, or go to tmobile's prepaid setup. I've been going with mobile data turned off to see what it's like and honestly I think it's great. I miss being able to listen to pandora in the car, but I guess I can come back to that later. Mobile data is $10/month per phone ($20/mo for both). It's amazing that the base plan is $80/month for both phones and all the taxes, fees, and add-ons make it so expensive. If I cancelled mobile data on both and paid off the one, it'd still be $100+ after taxes.

I can't sell the MINI because it's worth less than what I owe and then I'd still have to come up with another car. We both work quite far from home, seeing as my work just relocated to a rural area. My commute is now 22 miles one way instead of 4 like it used to be. Having one car would make it un-possible for her to get a second job. There is no public transportation to our jobs. Houston is a car city. Fairly certain she'll pay off the car right away once she either gets better employment or once the house in CA sells.

She's been working on getting a 'real' job, but I've already covered that.

Beyond that, I'd like to pay a whole bunch into the smallest balance, like the Foundation. $696 to that would be really nice :kiddo:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd consider paying the phone off and switching carriers. That'd save you a fair bit per month.

I think you and your wife should setup a financial plan together but that's just me... It's hard to plan a life together when you plan separately. What's her plan for the inheritance? Mutual funds? What type? Etc.

She wants to sit on the money as much as possible and use it as her way to jump-start retirement savings. Neither of us have any at the moment. Next Thursday is a meeting at work for 401k, I would like to start contributing at least 1% to it.

Most of the reason of starting this thread is learning how to invest that kind of money. She wants to stretch the inherited roths as much as possible and re-save the RMD's. I guess that could go back as another roth? Neither of us have had money to invest so neither of us knows what to look for :shrug: the general plan is 'pay off all the debts and bank the rest'. The specifics is why I'm here.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

Why are you trying to pay off debts? Why aren't you just working on establishing a budget that is actually sustainable on your current income. You can use the money to wipe out all your previous gently caress ups, but you need to start living within your means...

My current income is ~$700+ dollars lower than it was when I collected all these different payments. My hours at work have been cut by 15 each week (that's 15@$30.75 aka overtime or $455.55/week pre-tax) If I pay off all credit cards, all loans, and the car payment, I'll have ($334+$227+$50+$143.51+$142.84+$364.41) $1261.76 less in just minimums to pay each month. I intend to close all those accounts and not re-open them. I also intend to save 6 months pay as well. We are both on board with this plan.

In other words, I'm trying to get my bills back under my means since my means decreased. Does that make more sense?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your debts are a symptom of the true issue which is that you are going to have a very difficult time balancing your budget without either substantially increasing your income or significantly cutting costs. You need to focus on that.

I'm working on cutting costs. Trying to save at least $22+ per month right now. If I can manage it, I'll scrape together enough OT to pay off that foundation loan entirely and be at $164.84 less bills a month. If I get a re-imbursement check from the trust ($1770+) I'll knock that one out and cut a check to the escrow company and knock the house payment down from $859/mo to $775/mo, they're making up a $1090 escrow shortage... That'd put me $247.84 closer to...breaking even :negative:

Veskit posted:

Can I get straight to the point and say that you should heavily consider cognitive behavioral therapy for impulse control issues. How much would it cost for you to start doing this right now?

I believe that's a $20 copay. Help with impulse control (but please no more brain drugs) would be fantastic. Normally I just exercise myself to exhaustion to keep my mind off of ~wants~
e: to-add to that, some help with my drinking issues would probably help a lot of other issues too. Booze is pricey and makes me a butthead.
e2: http://www.houstonmethodist.org/psychiatry/personality-disorders/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/ Is that what you mean, Veskit? They're in my network, so that's $20 copay.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 23, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

That's exactly it. Also I'm not sure if i saw it or not, but if you don't mind what did you get diagnosed with?

I can't remember the exact thing anymore, but it was like a rapid swinging manic/depressive. Atypical depressive with manic episodes or something like that. It's been like 17 years now...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

Uhhh you still see your psychiatrist right? At least once every 3 months.

You have a mental disorder that is in direct conflict with your budget. You should really make that a huge part of your plan to fix your lifestyle. Also I have a pretty useful book if you want if you're open to it I can send it to you or give you the name of it.

I stopped seeing a psychiatrist in 2003 when I moved to Houston. I also went off the brain drugs then too. I agree that I'm a broken person and cbt did help back then to some degree. I didn't like what the drugs did to me though. I'm interested in this book though. I guess if I at least work on my mental problems then I won't seem so confusing at times to my saint-like wife. Hopefully I can be more disciplined in everything I do. As no surprise to anyone, the guy with money problems also has problems with keeping on a diet. Shocking, I know. Discipline always was externally enforced by my Mother when I was a child and once that guiding hand was removed, I had a real hard time adjusting.

A lot of this came from watching my parents spending and then thinking once I got my first job out of college, I could continue in that lifestyle, minus the 30 years of experience they had on me. What an idiot.

These days most of my adhering to a budget comes strictly from avoidance of exposure to shopping opportunities. Where I fall down hard these days is in the grocery store. Particularly in the beer & wine section. I've been a loving champ since this thread started and have not gotten cheetos or monsters anymore! :buddy: Still. most of my 'grocery' is wine and bacon :ughh:

e: when I was younger, the only time my parents weren't fighting was when they were buying something. Mostly cars. That was the only time I saw them act as a team. I hated playing referee between those two all the time :smith:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 23, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

CBT is great, and it'll help a lot, but really really really consider going back on a daily regime of medications to get things really under control. I have to imagine the drinking, the incredible bursts of anger, depressions, spending sprees, ruined friendships all getting old at this point. These are all assumptions that I'm guessing are correct.

:stare:

You seem to know your poo poo. And alcohol acts like an amplifier to it all once I've had enough. Particularly the ruined friendships bit. Have meds moved on since celexa/wellbutrin? Celexa did fuckall except make me fat as hell. Wellbutrin seemed to be working, but made me more suicidal.

loving hell. it's E/N with numbers again.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pryor on Fire posted:

The number of people who were raised by awful boomer parents thinking that spending 90% of your paycheck on consumer poo poo you don't need and that's ok and nomal is way too large. You'd think everyone under 30 would be very anti-consumerism after seeing how miserable all those poorly built jetskis and snowmobiles made their parents.

Seeing as my Dad was boat crazy for most of my life...I don't like boats. I also don't pick up random hobbies and toys the way my Dad does these days.

Anyway, I paid off wife's remaining balance on the phone, $265. I'm changing plans from one that's a family shared thing for $80 and 2x$10 for 3GB data to a family plan that's $80 that has 2GB built in(no data would have saved me $0). I looked at prepaid options and no-data options and it would seem the floor for t-mobile is $80(for two lines).

The phone bill will go from $141.35 down to $99.27, so that's something. That's including taxes & fees, which ends up being close to $20 in their own right. Switching carriers would have saved me maybe :10bux:

I also have a reimbursement check coming from the trust for around $1925. I'm going to wipe a debt out with that. I'm gunning for those two loans: foundation and consolidation. Either one will get rid of a ~$143 payment. My wife will use her portion of it(~$1100) to pay down her credit card :woop:

I've also sent the paperwork to cancel my gym membership. I have a triathlon coming in October, and I'm just going to suffer through the swim and make up time on the bike and run portions. No tri is ever won in the water.

In other, somewhat related news, my fundraising for the MS150 charity ride this year has been dismal. Minimum to pick up your packet and actually ride the ride is $400. I've raised $90. I was going to charge the remaining $310 before starting this thread, but I've decided I'll give it one last effort on the bookface and if I can't make the minimum by April 17th, I won't ride. I'm already in it for $105 for a jersey and $200 for training rides, but I'm done throwing good money after bad. They'll bar me from all future rides until I come up with the minimum pledge. I'm okay with that. It's just become all about the money for them lately anyway.

Work's been weird. So many people walking around without a job on their machines, and yet I'm busier than a one-legged man in an rear end kicking contest. I haven't gone under 45 hours yet. This week will be 42.5 due to tomorrow being off for good Friday. I'll continue to be careful with that OT money and keep socking it into whatever debts I can get rid of. Once that charity ride is over, my fuel dollar amount will be dropping quite a bit.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

We're going to Fidelity in a few minutes to see how to stretch the inherited roths as long as possible. I'll hopefully get a check soon to knock off one of the loans (foundation/consolidation) in the next few days. I just got moved around at my job and now have my own office. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but hopefully something good will come of it... Hopefully these ynab shots show something of a budget (at least on my end).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looks like fidelity found another $50k :shepface: reinvesting it all

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SiGmA_X posted:

What are you invested in?

So far it's all the fidelity "growth"...thing. Once all the accounts are set up and all the trust stuff is done I can give more details. It's two rollovers, one roth, and one really tiny (sub $10) money market. The two biggest ones are about $750K combined in that rollover and the smaller one is an inherited roth of about $50k. I'll give the stuff to the trust attorney so the RMD from that can go to the trust account. That'd bring the trust account to around $110K. Hopefully once the biohazard stuff is taken care of in the house we can get rolling on selling that, splitting the trust, and then figuring out where to go from there. After consulting with the realtor and the attorney, it looks like the stuff in the house isn't worth enough to do an estate sale and too risky to do a yard sale, so we've gone with donating it all to charity.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:zombie:Thread, rise from your grave :zombie:

Posting with some updates. All debts are paid off. The house is paid off. My wife will be taking whatever RMD's (I think like $7k annually at first) that come from her fidelity inherited Roths( ~$380k) and putting them right back into [investment vehicle]. I have no idea what the vehicle would be, I was thinking mutual funds or a brokerage account. Thoughts? The idea is to use this money to eventually retire on (including my 401k)

Most of why I'm posting is because since I no longer have any more credit card debt, I want to close them all. I have proven time and again that I, when given any rope with those things, will hang myself with it. My credit score after all this poo poo is 622. I would have $38,000 available credit across 3 cards. I had considered closing 2 and dropping the limit on the third (oldest) down to like $1000 or something. But with so much money in the bank, relatively speaking, and no debt, I kinda don't want credit cards anymore and don't want to play that game. We have no plans on moving or buying another house or car or anything really. It's pretty much just keep working and living in the lessons we've learned through all this and don't buy dumb poo poo.

I want to close all 3 credit cards and never see a credit card again. Would I be perma-hosed if I did this?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The most I would consider is closing two and destroying the physical card of the third, the oldest one, and having that limit dropped from $23,000 to something more reasonable like $4,000. My wife's credit went from dog poo poo to 822 by just being on the mortgage and having her one credit card with a $3k limit. Would that be like min/maxing a credit score to do it the way I described? It's a points card with no fees and a 6% interest rate. I'm really loath to close that card just because of the terms I've negotiated on it. The other two are total dog poo poo cards. One's 13.24 interest with an annual fee of $40 with *southwest miles* that I'm gonna cash in for amazon gift cards. The other is like 12% and gently caress that card.

Maybe use it for gas to get some points and pay it off every month? I'm very nervous with myself to attempt such a thing and not be tempted. Do you actually have to use the card? USAA just sent me a thing saying no activity after 12 months closes an account automatically if it's got a $0 balance.

e: thanks, moana :parrot:

e2: this is the exact language:

USAA posted:

FSB considers an account inactive if there has been no activity for one year. Fees
and charges for inactive accounts are the same as for active accounts. FSB will not
reimburse charges for inactive accounts that later become active. FSB may be required to
turn over (or escheat) account funds to the state if the account remains inactive. If FSB does
turn over the account funds to the state, you will need to file a claim with the state to
recover the funds. FSB reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse withdrawals or
transfers from inactive accounts. FSB’s current practice is to refuse transactions for
inactive accounts.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Droo posted:

He didn't climb out of debt, his wife inherited like $750k and they paid it all off along with the mortgage.

To the OP, I suggest you work towards getting a good rewards credit card that you run all your bills through and pay off monthly. This will provide you with cash back or points, as well as increased fraud prevention and other benefits like travel insurance and extended warranties. If your credit is too bad to qualify for a good credit card, you just have to wait a couple years for it to improve.

I personally use a Fidelity 2% cash back card, along with a Penfed card for gas (about 4% on gas) and an Amazon store card for amazon stuff (5%). There are possibly better options now, but at the very least I recommend a 2% cash back visa like the Fidelity one.
Emphasis mine, but you are correct.

I dropped the limit on my cash back rewards card to $5,000. My wife is asking I close the other two, so I will. I had also thought of cycling the bills through the card to run points up as well. It's something like a 1% card by my math. It's also my oldest account with the lowest interest.

• Locked thread