Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How do you not know your wife's finances at all? Why is she only making $700 per month?

The amount of money you're looking at is the sort of thing that invested wisely would potentially allow you to retire young, or you could piss away in 5-10 years with nothing to show from it other than cat furniture and lovely electronics.

The YNAB screenshot you posted isn't even close to a budget, how much money do you plan on spending for food in March?

Do you plan on staying in Houston? It sounds like your job may be on the verge of losing your job. Do you think you could actually sell your place for $160k? I'd be drat tempted to sell the condo, use the profits to pay off the horrible financial decisions, and either rent in Houston, or consider relocating to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You guys need to be pooling at least some of your finances. I don't know what's up with your YNAB but perhaps it's not the right software for you? It's not terribly hard to actually make a budget, god forbid even on paper.

You didn't answer why your wife is making only $700 a month.

First and foremost both you and your wife, combined, need to be spending less than what you are making. What plans are you putting this in place to make this happen?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You and your wife need to be pooling your money to keep your head above water. Until the windfall comes through, you need to look at cutting back on all that non-essential stuff like phones/hulu/etc. Your wife should be looking to get a second job or getting a full time job.

In the short term, you and your wife need to start working together as a team financially. This means that you both pay some portion of the mortgage and working collectively on your finances. Why do you pay all of the mortgage and most all of the other bills? Most people with separate finances at least do some sort of balancing of the money where everyone is contributing.

You need to start at least breaking even or not missing payments so your debt/credit does not get worse.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I am not saying your wife should be paying half of all the bills given her meager earnings. Despite how you work, everything in your relationship financially speaking is 50/50. Your debt is your wife's and vice versa.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why are you trying to pay off debts? Why aren't you just working on establishing a budget that is actually sustainable on your current income. You can use the money to wipe out all your previous gently caress ups, but you need to start living within your means...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You should be seeing a psychiatrist assuming the initial diagnosis was correct.

The YNAB screenshot you posted is not a budget, it appears that it's just what you've spent so far this month. Where is your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You're going to spend $79 on groceries and $8 at restaurants in April? drat dude you gonna get skinny.

• Locked thread