Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pryor on Fire posted:

I couldn't even imagine being in a relationship with someone and having totally separate bank accounts and a fuzzy idea of what the other person is making or spending, that would drive me batshit insane. Like maybe if you're both doing very well, you have no debt and your savings is increasing by 5K a month, then who cares you're fine, but otherwise it sounds like a great way to end up in divorce court.
No kidding. Finances shouldn't be an argument. Civil discussions about what you both want and how you're going to reach those goal is a critical thing in all aspects of life, especially financial. OP, how you describe your life with your wife and your income discrepancy makes it 100% clear that you two should have combined finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dustoph posted:

Add her income to the budget. Add her spending to the budget. Presto, combined budget.
Yep. It's really needed. She can have her own blow money and she can keep funding groceries. But you're a joint venture now. Account like it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

oRenj9 posted:

Oh man, 11 cats and a Mini Cooper: this thread delivers.

You need to prioritize. You guys just don't make enough money to justify a financed Mini and a $150/mo cell phone bill. $30/mo for pool access?

You are $700 in the hole each month! Even if you did manage to pay off all of your debt, you'd still have no money left over each month. You need need need to cut expenses to the bone until your wife finds a better paying job, that means no MINI, no pool, cheap phones.
Cricket may be a good phone savings tool. $70/mo for 2 lines with 2.5GB of data. Though I think the real solution will be no MINI and real job for wife.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'd consider paying the phone off and switching carriers. That'd save you a fair bit per month.

I think you and your wife should setup a financial plan together but that's just me... It's hard to plan a life together when you plan separately. What's her plan for the inheritance? Mutual funds? What type? Etc.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What are you invested in?

• Locked thread