Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can I get straight to the point and say that you should heavily consider cognitive behavioral therapy for impulse control issues. How much would it cost for you to start doing this right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BloodBag posted:

I believe that's a $20 copay. Help with impulse control (but please no more brain drugs) would be fantastic. Normally I just exercise myself to exhaustion to keep my mind off of ~wants~
e: to-add to that, some help with my drinking issues would probably help a lot of other issues too. Booze is pricey and makes me a butthead.
e2: http://www.houstonmethodist.org/psychiatry/personality-disorders/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/ Is that what you mean, Veskit? They're in my network, so that's $20 copay.

That's exactly it. Also I'm not sure if i saw it or not, but if you don't mind what did you get diagnosed with?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Uhhh you still see your psychiatrist right? At least once every 3 months.

You have a mental disorder that is in direct conflict with your budget. You should really make that a huge part of your plan to fix your lifestyle. Also I have a pretty useful book if you want if you're open to it I can send it to you or give you the name of it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Therapy is great and all but you should revisit a psychiatrist and put in the work to find a good combination that works for you. There's a lot of new treatments that have come out past 2003 so you're not just doing an insane upper like abilify and having it drastically change who you are and mess up parts of your life. At least see a psychiatrist sporadically and try one drug at a time and see what happens.

PM me your address and I'll send the book over.

CBT is great, and it'll help a lot, but really really really consider going back on a daily regime of medications to get things really under control. I have to imagine the drinking, the incredible bursts of anger, depressions, spending sprees, ruined friendships all getting old at this point. These are all assumptions that I'm guessing are correct.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well when you live it you learn it...

If I go into medications and things like that in any depth it'll really start to be in E/N territory and not BFC so I'll say that you should see a psychiatrist and really vent out your worries and concerns. Also make sure you talk to someone who understands your needs and if that means you can handle going through rough patches with medications to get to a better end or if it's bad you just want to end and move on. There are options lots of them!

Also out of curiosity did you have seizures ever? Before or after wellbutrin?

Lastly if you want more advice or someone to talk to PM me and I'll be happy to. Again I think figuring this out is vital to getting budgeting to a manageable place, which is why I think it's important to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

n8r posted:

You should be seeing a psychiatrist assuming the initial diagnosis was correct.

There's no way to know that the initial diagnosis was incorrect without seeing a psychiatrist so all in all please see a psychiatrist also.

• Locked thread