Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
I thought Obama's stance on Syria as stated in the article was fairly clear. He did expect Assad to be overthrown, and he seems to admit that the first declaration of the 'red line' was a mistake. Assad wasn't overthrown, and he while he thought he wasn't bluffing on the chemical weapons, he couldn't follow through, although he did end the Syrian chemical weapon program through diplomatic means instead of military force. But his position as to America's place in the Middle East in the article seems to be 'as soon as we don't need oil anymore, and therefore the Middle East isn't an American interest, America has no place in the Middle East'. We can argue whether that is a good or bad stance, realistic or not, but from that perspective his actions there haven't been inconsistent.

I personally like his stance of pivoting to places where growth is already apparent, like Vietnam, and pulling out of quagmire situations, winding down America's role as world police. In that vein, I like his 'no free riders' policy, although I am skeptical on whether it would allow the rest of the Western world to act as a check to America's unilateral influence as he says it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Well, according to the article, the pivot to Asia achieved stronger relations with several countries in Southeast Asia which are doing well economically, as well as bolstering their opinion of America. This arguably moves them into America's sphere of influence, where he sees greater technological innovation capability and greater economic potential, both of which are better benefits than the quagmire of the Middle East. It also mentions that as the explicit reason why he is trying to normalize relations with Central America and Cuba.

• Locked thread