Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
His defense of the 'red line' is utterly laughable. "It was good because after I made the gigantic mistake of saying it in the first place I didn't follow it up with even more gigantic mistakes", well done champ. Dude clearly was just completely out of his league/education on non-domestic issues, the best you can say about his FP is that it was better than bush's, while continuously lacking any semblance of coherence or strategy. Assad must go! Well I guess he can stay but only for a little bit!

Nocturtle posted:

This is a great article. Obama's characterization of meetings as Putin as "businesslike" in their meetings is interesting, its another confirmation that the Russian elite understand their diminished position and aren't seriously trying to challenge American dominance. Recent Russian war-mongering in Crimea and Syria is more for domestic consumption and to prop up remaining "influence", and Obama correctly determines that it has probably costed more than it's worth.

Syria maybe, but Ukraine/Crimea gently caress no, Russia made out like bandits there for very little cost and the huge benefits of keeping them out of the EU for 20+ years, the military significance of Crimea and so on. I think you have a pretty bad read on the reasons for fighting in both places, really- domestically it helped but there's very obvious reasons why they'd like to keep Assad in power. Of course they are going to preserve their influence and military might- both may look like poo poo compared to what the US can do but Russia is still number 2 when it comes to projection power and number 3 isn't even in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Volker has been on the 'a perfect strike at the most perfect time and everything would have ended up perfectly, also unicorns' since like 2011 now.

• Locked thread