Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

wtf? the silverballer being a preorder item is extremely hosed up

It isn't. The preorder bonus is a different pistol called like the ICA-19 or something. Silverballers are in the base game.

Anyway I enjoyed Blood Money and Absolution so I'll probably get it at some point but I think I'll wait til all the episodes are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It isn't, and it's really weird to me that people keep saying it is.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

I actually like the idea of Recent Reviews. it's cool because every reaction at launch is one billion people reviewing it after leaving it idle for steam cards and then asking for a refund, then 8 months later three people come in and leave a few paragraphs about the good and bad. Handy

Yeah. Also games that had bad launches or early access or whatever and have improved through patches since. It's something they've needed for a while.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This game's so good lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s91zY_dUSNo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

lol. I think my favorite trick i stumbled into is that you can really easily poison the woman targets drink. You can just walk up to it and drop poison in it in front of everybody and they all gasp and if you just sprint around a corner in about 30 seconds nobody cares and she drinks the wine and dies.

Meeting the lady target disguised as Kruger to discuss the spy mission she wants Kruger to go on, taking the cyanide pills she gives you in case you're caught, then emptying them into her drink as soon as she turns her back, ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

fun fact: the boxes in the virus cleanroom area are filled with acid, and putting knocked out people in those boxes kills them and dissolves their body. unlike normal boxes, you can put an infinite number of bodies in them

I found this out by accident. I take not killing anyone but the target very seriously and ended up shouting "OH MY GOD NO" at my tv like a fool when I saw what was about to happen but couldn't stop it lol. RIP to the random scientist guy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Finally beat Marrakesh after being too retarded to do it for a while. Disguising yourself as the prisoner and then breaking Zaydan's neck when he comes to interrogate you is so badass

Bangkok had a good one too. Disguising as hotel staff, leading the lawyer to his penthouse, and spending like 5 minutes getting berated and forced to clean by him makes drowning him in the toilet he's inspecting for cleanliness so unbelievably satisfying. I love this game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bangkok has one that's pretty circuitous but awesome that involves this same opportunity. It can be tough to figure this out but I'll tag it because it's one of the game's best:

If you disguise yourself as an exterminator and talk to the hotel manager, she'll make Jordan Cross vacate his penthouse and wait in the atrium. Then, if you disguise yourself as a bellhop and tell Ken Morgan his suite is ready, you can make him follow you through the atrium so Cross sees him. The briefing mentions that Cross had no idea Morgan was at the hotel. They get in an argument and Morgan asks him to talk privately in his suite. Cross already has a penchant for pushing people off buildings and well...

The name for this is Oops! I did it again! :v:

Oh my loving god this game owns

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think Colorado is my favorite map so far. It may not be once I start replaying them all for mastery but doing it once for the story and once more for the Sarajevo Six I think the relatively small, dense level with several targets was a cool change of pace. I did the Point Man thing to take out Parvati and I didn't even realize the leader of the militia comes to the debriefing. I triggered the ram to kill her and had no idea the other guy was there until Diana was like "ah, killing two flies with one swat?"

The whole level was like a throwback to the cornfield mission in Absolution with the paramilitary enemies on a farm, the scarecrow costume, the multiple targets in a small area, the balers you can mulch people in, etc. As one of the three people on earth that really liked Absolution I thought that was pretty neat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Also I want a game where you play as Parvati. The one-armed former gun-runner and assassin for the Tamil Tigers who then turned to piracy after the Tigers disbanded is way more badass than most game protagonists.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PS4 exclusive missions where you have to take out a merc from that CICADA unit from the Paris mission in each map. They're pretty cool, they're usually like tied to the regular objective in some way, like the one in Marrakech is there as an advisor to the general but is also in charge of the evacuation of the banker if you trigger an evacuation and stuff like that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like them a lot because they're like this weird alternate reality storyline where all the huge events from the story are still happening but the target is just tangentially related. So like the shady auction where the world's elite secretly bid on information and illegal goods is still happening just like it does in the main Paris mission but you're just there to take out the mercenary in charge of security at the auction instead of doing anything about the event itself. Makes you feel more like a cynical hitman just in it for the contract.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's pretty great. I like that in the labs in Sapienza, if you're a scientist other scientists will be suspicious, and if you're security other security will, but never cross-job. None of them know each other. It's neat.

That was the entire idea behind Absolution's disguise system--anyone in the same outfit as you would be suspicious of you but anyone in a different one wouldn't, in addition to the usual stuff like disguises dictating where you can go and what weapons you can carry. Instinct was also a limited-use thing that you could burn to avoid suspicion from people in the same costume. It was a cool idea and in a way I liked the consistency of it over the mostly random nature of 2016 but I still prefer 2016's way overall.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

My new favorite NPC is the big game hunter bragging about gutting elephants in Bangkok

Mine's the guy in Hokkaido who's getting plastic surgery to look like Helmut Kruger and he gets really pissed off at you for stealing his idea and rants at you for a while if he sees you.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite thing about Hokkaido is that after a whole game of all these crazy complex assassinations you can kill the main villain of the season by just finding his donor heart and hook shotting it into the trash can.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I keep trying to treat this game realistically (e.g. "this guard WILL eventually realize his boss isn't coming out of that bathroom......... right?") instead of like the video game it is and I think that's why I've struggled to attach to it before

The veneer is peeling away and I'm starting to see a Good Game

No matter how long I play I always have a nagging worry that this time will be the time that the guard realizes what's going on when he sees me follow a guy into a room and then walk out of the room 20 seconds later alone wearing the other guy's clothes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

rediscover posted:

i never noticed that they werent perfectly quiet.. i guess when i think about it if i dome someone right behind another person the second man usually turns around

I think subsonic weapons are perfectly quiet or at least close enough to it not to make any practical difference. I used the subsonic sniper rifle you get from Paris mastery levels to blow away the Sarajevo Six guy in Marrakech while standing in the open in the school's courtyard with like 5 other guards around me and i got away with it clean because none of them were looking at me while I did it. One of them couldn't have been more than 10, 15 feet away tops.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tyranny's mine but Hitman's the runner-up for sure

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've only ever pulled a fire alarm once, to try and clear out the school in Marrakech to kill the Sarajevo Six guy, and all that happened was that the soldiers seemed to know it was someone pulling the alarm just to distract them and started searching the immediate area but the target and his bodyguards didn't move. Did I do something wrong or do soldiers and elite guards and stuff just react to it differently?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that... might bring back some bad memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy03bCtqY8A

you're forced into this fight btw

Not necessarily. I dropped a lighting rig on him while he was fighting the actual guy 47 can disguise as.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read somewhere that if you use the garbage truck that shreds stuff to dump every single person's body in that level the newspaper headline at the end is just like, "Entire community vanishes mysteriously"

I love the newspapers and wish more games did that kind of thing. I think I just posted this in PYF the other day but after having a really rough time adjusting to the controls my first time playing through the tutorial it told me police were looking for "a shooter of limited skill but dangerous enthusiasm, a phrase that still makes me lol.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Paris: remote explosive bust that looks like Napoleon called a Napoleon Blownaparte (lmfao)

Lmfao. Hell yeah!!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

I seriously hope their offices go up in flames rn

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Between this and the last Deus Ex game being shipped without an ending so they can finish it in DLC or a sequel that will now never come because the game didn't sell because it shipped without an ending, Square Enix is really hitting the home runs right now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't understand how all the always-online stuff everyone was complaining about works. Will we still be able to play the regular missions when the plug gets pulled or is the whole game going under?

Apparently they're looking to sell IO, which may or may not include its IPs. I won't get too optimistic but there's a slight glimmer of hope.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

oddium posted:

welcome to shinjuku, tokyo 47 :twisted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

julian assflange posted:

That one tweet is better than most of E3

Between this and the first Tyranny expansion being announced a few days ago, E3 got outshone really hard this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

• Locked thread