Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Either one will work! The first will give you any pokemon as a starter, the second is the one that I used, ensuring that your starter will be like starters always have been, the baby of a 3-stage line. I'd recommend the second for the reasons I stated earlier, sometimes you want to take a cute pokemon or one that's unusual but if you do you're gonna end up fighting against, like, Rayquaza every time you fight Hugh.

Or you might end up like this person: two bad Pokémon to start with, and one legend... with a drawback that makes it completely unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AweStriker posted:

Or you might end up like this person: two bad Pokémon to start with, and one legend... with a drawback that makes it completely unusable.

And that is why you randomize movesets. That and it just being more fun that way.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
I'm digging this LP so far! What a fun idea. I've also never completed either of the sequels to B&W, so I decided to play along and give this a try as well. :3:

On the first route there were evolved pokemon with multiple attacks that had a power of 120. :negative:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yeah, that happens sometimes. I've been lucky so far that there hasn't been anything too insanely strong that I've run into, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. The best advice I can gibe is probably to ge a new seed and try again since it was on route 1, if you really liked your starter you can pick it for yourself like I did even!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Concurrent Play Through Update 1:

I have used the same random settings as Jolyne Cujoh did for this run. It's also a blind play through as I have never played Black/White nor their updated versions. I have played about half of Pokemon Y which I purchased on a 3DS when I was on a relationship tilt and wanted to relive some childhood memories. It was pretty good but without Turbo Mode it dragged on. Also the 3DS XL screen I got was a bit loose and a was therefore hard to position in a comfortable way to play in bed like a loser :3: Apart from that I haven't played a game since FireRed, so there are tonnes of new things for me to see.

Starters:

I picked the Venipede cause Weedle is neat but old and I didn't wanna use a Pokemon I KNOW is a starter in another version. I named her Venessa. I came to regret this choice as she came with a boat load of Poison moves but jack poo poo else. And everything I encountered from then on was loving resistant to Poison. Hugh got the Weedle.

Route 19 encounters:
Lopunny
Drapion

Nothing of intrest happened here. I only saw Lopunny once and regretted not catching it as soon as I encounted Drapion and realized my typing setup sucks.

Route 20 encounters:
Venipede - Trainer battle
Smoochum - Trainer battle "Look at my cute Pokemon!" THE RANDOMIZER KNOWS
Latios - HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST DRACO METOR hosed ME UP - Caught one though and it's OP as gently caress.
Cherubi - Trainer battle
Regigigas - JESUS CHRIST ITS THE ROUTE OF LEGENDS - Caught one as well. It's mediocre.
Kabutops - Wish I caught one :(
Munna - This is a Legendary too right? Caught one, it's poo poo house and will be going on the bench.
Lairon - Also should have caught one :(

This was my first battle with Youngerster Dudeguy. Mirror match hooo!

This was the first loving time I have blacked out since playing one of the Crystal/Gold/Silver games on the GBC as a kid. This rear end in a top hat one hit Venessa
:shepicide:

I just wanted to show off that Regigigigigigas has Stench. I should have named him Goonguy :( Also of note is having Glare and SmelingSalt together. COMBO!

Ranch encounters:
Espeon - Knows Whirlwind lol, no fighting this thing.
Volcarona - Caught and it's loving RAD A poo poo. Thinking of making it my new "main" cause of how awesome it looks. It's a loving firey-moth-light bug thing man cmon. Venepide is pretty rad too though but man this guy.

So guys should I ditch Gigaguy and Latios? They seem crazy overpowered ATM. Latios is demolishing everything in his path between Psybeam, Thunderpunch and Twister. He also learnt Water Spout, which I replaced Dragon Metor with because I'm stupid and forgot about STAB and really wanted a Water move on the team. Giga is just a tanky rear end in a top hat but Glare is awesome for capturing new hard to get 'Mons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Munna isn't a legendary, and in fact it's a pretty normal Pokemon in Gen 5. I used one in my Black run, it was...okay, but non-random Unova is so full of Dark moves that using a Psychic type is suffering. That it evolves with a Moon Stone doesn't help.

Also yeah, I'd say ditch the legends for the sake of your own fun. And man, this is making me want to fire my own randomizer but just go batshit insane, I love when nothing makes any sense (beyond types, not changing that).

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Regigigas would be one of the most powerful pokemon in the main games if it didn't have an ability designed to make it terrible, so that stanky regigigas with Slash would tear everything apart. Insane attack and speed with pretty good bulk. Munna is not a legendary, just a fairly rare poke that some of the plot of the last game revolved around. She's a baby and will evolve!

Venipede and Volcarona are both really rad bugs that were introduced in Gen V. They're good! Piplup is my 2nd favorite starter ever though so I'm sort of sad you didn't go with him!

Also, finished screenshotting and resizing and recording all the GIFs for the update, so now it's just a matter of writing the darn thing! ETA 2-3 hours, depending on if I make food or order it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is fun as poo poo.

Man a Stanky Regigias is pretty awesome and I do feel like I should rename him to Goon or something and use his amazing Green Armpit hair to smash his way through the game. But that seems OP as poo poo.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Oh, just as a heads up. when a pokemon with stench is at the front of the party it makes wild pokemon battles half as likely to happen, so if you want to be catching pokemon and stuff it's best to not have him at the front.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh that would explain why grinding him was so slow.

Also it's really nice having Regigas as random wild 'Mons they are EXP Pinata's especially compared to loving Muna's that are worth NOTHING.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

And that is why you randomize movesets. That and it just being more fun that way.

I didn't know Registeel only had Explosion until level 8 or so normally until I checked a bit ago.

Anyway, I started a Black (or was it White?) 1 random run a few days ago, but I think I'll have to reshuffle - my starter selection was Timburr/Tynamo/Lotad I think; I picked Ty because Electric is one of my favorite types and I really dislike Timburr's design.

Bianca summarily flattened me with it, and I also ended up losing the first N battle. Did you know you have to watch the whole speech there again if you lose that one? I did not and I was displeased to discover this.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm totally starting a Black 1 run now just cause I wanna play around with the randomizer but I don't wanna play ahead in Black 2.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 2.2: Captured Effortlessly

Welcome back! Last time we were informed of a missing dog, so let's get to searching!

Heading West we see Hugh searching a completely open clearing in plain sight of the main farm for the dog. The boy's not too bright.

He's got a big heart, though. Also, what's that I spot in the corner?

Sheeps!! Mareep is one of my favorite pokemon, so cute and fluffy. Gonna go frolic in some grass to celebrate sheeps.

Oh. That's not a sheep.

Oh, cool!

It's a very Strong Boy. Let's check him out!

Nat is a gentle boy! This, for some reason, means his Defense is worse and his Special Defense is better. Nidoking is a lot like Nidoqueen, but he trades a bit of bulk for higher attacking stats. Static is like Effect Spore, but it can only paralyze. It's an okay ability for him to have, nothing detrimental or totally useless at least.

His moves, though, are pretty dang good! Sludge is just a weaker Sludge Bomb, but still serviceable. Poison Jab is the cookie-cutter physical poison attack. Average power, perfect accuracy, 30% chance to poison. Because it's a TM in the normal games, it is the stick by which other physical poison moves are measured, and it's a nice stick. Fissure is an OHKO move, which is gimmicky and mostly bad. Fissure just straight cannot hit pokemon that are a higher level than the user, and its accuracy is dependent on the comparative levels of the user and the target. The accuracy starts at 30% against a pokemon of equal level, and goes up 1% for ever level higher than the target the user is. You may realize that this means that by the time you can use it reliably, you can just use any other move to kill the target as well. Earthquake, on the other hand, is one of the absolute best moves in the game. Great power, perfect accuracy, and it's ground type which is one of the best offensive types in the game. Ground is 2x effective against 5 types while only being resisted by 2 (though flying is immune). Earthquake is real good!

Now that we have this new friend, let's explore south!

Well, mine are almost exclusively incredibly poisonous, which isn't really all that admirable. What's yours though?

Oh!!! It's my second favorite pokemon!! Look at her she's a cute little ice cream!

Look at her she dances in her sleep!

... Ahem. The Vanillite goes off to take a nice nap and I most definitely do not knock her out.

I'm not entirely sure why I sent Star Me out here, he's not really a good matchup for Snover.

Oh neat, Snover make it rain in the randomizer when they normally make it snow. Rain, however, means that Star Me can do this!

Yeah! Well, Snover's part grass type so it didn't do much, but it still looked cool. Actually, a ton of Star Me's moves are super flashy, like this one he uses after dodging an attack.

Hell yeah! Doesn't quite ko her, though, so she gets a counterattack.

Oh, dang!

Oh. Dang. Poor thing.

Camouflage is an interesting move, it changes the type of the user based on their environment, but it's not really a useful move, so I skip it. And then he gains another two levels! Everyone's catching up really fast!

I think so too, Molly.

Some of my guys are getting a little beaten up, so let's visit the farm owner's wife!

She apparently also is able to harness the magical healing power of A Mom. It's handy! Let's go check out the rest of the field where we fought Molly.

We find some more free stuff, and get into a battle on the way back!

Oh, that's gonna be annoying.

Good exp though.

And she learns two moves! Gunk shot is a physical, poison version of Thunder, high power, low accuracy, 30% chance to poison. Not ideal, but a good move for Hootie to have. In Gen 6 it was made better with an accuracy buff, but I am not using the option in the randomizer that applies Gen 6 changes to move accuracy/power. Octazooka is not a great move, low-ish power and 85% accuracy with a 30% chance to lower the target's accuracy. It's a water type move, though, and Hootie needs one of those. We replace Smog and Gastro Acid for these.

Oh, hey, a very strong Nidoking.

Oh. Sorry, LL.

Did not want to deal with his poo poo after that.

Hey, you might notice that even though this Nidoking was less than twice the level of the level 4 one that Hootie beat, it gave nearly 3 times as much experience. What's up with that? Well, a whole lot of things that I'm not gonna go into right now, but the simple answer is that experience scales with the level of the pokemon gaining it starting in Gen 5. The formula is very complicated, but basically all you need to know is that it's multiplicative, so the difference between a level 5 beating a level 4 is way bigger than the difference between a level 51 and a level 50.

Anyway, below where we picked up that pokeball...

Sheep!

Continuing north from where Hugh is...

: "Let's have a look!"

That's what I was doing!

... Hugh, going ten yards north isn't looking very hard.

Oh, cool! That's actually a pretty appropriate move for a Tauros to have, and it's one that they haven't actually been able to know since Gen 1! With the rerelease and the ability to put those pokemon in the bank, though, Tauros can use Skull Bash in the normal games again! A lot of the weird TM moves being able to be transferred up is gonna lead to cool and unique stuff.

Oh, he also knows Yawn! Yawn is one of 2 100% accurate moves which cause sleep, though unlike the other one it does have a drawback. It doesn't put the target to sleep until the end of the turn after it hits, which isn't really that much of a drawback when you're using it to catch Pokémon. Tauros will be a good pokemon to have once we catch him! So let's do that.

Switching LL out because I don't want her to fall asleep, I'm sending out Nat on the off chance that the Tauros paralyzes himself by hitting him.

Skull Bash is the first charge move that we've encountered in the game (well, Sky Drop is sort of a charge move), meaning that it takes 2 turns to use. This cuts its effective power in half, which means that it isn't all that great a move. It, like a lot of moves, got buffed in the next games and made way more usable. It also raises the user's defense on the charge turn, so you're not spending a turn doing literally nothing at least.

At this point in the game, though, it's still pretty threatening! (Also failed capture count: 1)

Okay, this isn't going too well. Failed capture count: 2. I'll save y'all the seven more minutes it took me to catch this guy, and just give you the abridged version.

Nat gets fainted, LL comes in to tank, and he finally gets caught on the fifth try.

There are two pokemon from Gen I have basically this same description. Sometimes Pokémon can be lazy.

Move It is pretty simple! His nature is serious, so it doesn't effect his stats. He's got good attack, great speed and good defense, with passable HP and Special Defense. His ability is pretty self-explanatory and fairly useful, since poison is sometimes hard to deal with. His moves are also pretty good!

Skull Bash and Yawn I have already talked about. Headbutt is good, slightly below-average power but accurate and it has a 30% chance to cause the opponent to lose their turn if Move It hits first, which is likely with his high speed. Weather ball is a weird move that changes type and gets stronger in different weather conditions.

All-in-all, pretty good pokemon, would catch 30. Or at least head straight back to the Pokémon center to put him in my party. After that is said and done, I continue on!

I am almost immediately accosted by this old man. Apparently the randomizer decided that the people in this area are ice themed!

After I yawn him, I switch out for LL because I figure Move It's gonna get plenty of exp from wild battles and catching pokemon (I forgot that experience for catching pokemon started with the next games, not this one. Oops)

Freeze Shock is the signature move of a legendary pokemon! It's another charge move, but it's almost 50% stronger than Skull Bash and has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, so it's way better.

Good job, LL! No level since she was splitting the exp with Move It.

Oh! Another Vanillite! This one is just so sweet and nice that it gives LL a hug and tells her she's great.

And that gets her a level! Neat! And the nice old man just accepts that, yessiree, his pokemon did not want to fight us.

Oh, cool!

Yeah, even I, Ms. "These games are for babies and hand-holding is okay" think that maybe telling them that Paralyze Heal heals Paralysis is a little much.

: "Still, Pokémon don't just wander off on their own. In a worst-case scenario, it might be involved in some trouble!"

I'm sure he's fine! This area is just infested with Jellyfish, Cows and giant Rhino Rabbits. Nothing is more powerful than A Dog.

Off to the right, we get in another battle! Spheal is an adorable orb and is great.

Lookit that face. He's so happy and squishy that he doesn't even feel the cow headbutting him. :3:

And he's so chill that he doesn't even fight back. Pokemon are great.

Oh, a bird huh? Star Me, you're up.

Man, that's good.

Thunder wave is simple, it just paralyzes the target! I forgot Thunder for it because Thunderbolt is better in basically every way.

Yeah, probably. To the south!

X Attack is an item that raises a pokemon's attack by one stage when used. It's not great, but it can be sold to buy a pokeball at least!

Oh I guess there was no way back from that cliff. I guess I can talk to the farm lady to get my pokes healed, at least.

Pup! It's too bad we have no idea what direction the noise is coming from.

Yeah I did! I dunno from where though.

Hugh once again chooses to search a completely open area for this 3 foot tall dog.

We find a potion at least! And the observant among you may also find the dog! Let's head down the path that hopefully leads there.

Whoah, poo poo, a ghost. Despite being a normal type move, Yawn can hit ghosts. Normal type status moves bypass the Ghost immunity for some reason. Regardless, none of Move It's other moves can hit this guy, so let's switch him out.

Destiny Bond is another super weird move. Essentially, if the pokemon that used it is knocked out before they use another move, Destiny Bond will take the attacker down with it. Not that useful, but interesting.

Got him!

Oh, a trickster ghost. Cool.

Kennedy is a sassy ghost, which improves his Special Defense and lowers his speed. He's already pretty slow, so that works out fine. He is also Ghost/Dark, which in this game is the only type combination with no weaknesses! Well, normally it has no weaknesses, it can technically be hit super-effectively by fighting moves after being identified or by a pokemon with the ability scrappy. He has good defenses and above-average attacking stats, but terrible HP and Speed. He also loves the sun, apparently, and moves twice as fast when it's sunny! That's not all that useful, but it is cute so I'm for it.

His moves are... serviceable. After You is nearly useless, especially for a slow Pokémon like Spiritomb. After You causes the target to go immediately after the user, which can sometimes be useful in Double Battles to let a slow but strong pokemon hit a pokemon faster than it, but even in double battles that's a super niche use. Destiny bond I've already talked about. Assurance is another move that's more useful in double battles, but at least it does something outside of them. It's a weak but accurate Dark Type move that does double damage if the target has already taken damage this turn. In single battles, this means that it'll only ever do double damage against a pokemon who is confused or uses a move that does recoil damage, or if you give the pokemon using it a Rocky Helmet, which damages pokemon that use contact moves on the holder. Ominous Wind is a special attack with fairly low power that has a 10% chance to raise every one of the user's stats by one stage, which can turn the tide of a battle when it activates.

Overall, not terrible, could definitely get better. Now let's go save a dog!

: "That cry! You found it! What a relief! OK, I'll go call its Trainer, so you stay here with it!"

Uhh, okay, but there's some sort of... Secret Agent here?

: "I'm a member of the group that strikes fear into the hearts of those who stand before it: Team Plasma!"

Uhh, yeah. You're the guys who didn't realize that pokemon like fighting and become friends with their trainers who were actually being brainwashed by some nutbar who abused his Jesus Child. Who hasn't heard of you?

: "That's right! We're the righteous group that tried to conquer Unova two years back in order to liberate pokemon! Whatever... Fools will never understand us. Still... First I got lost chasing Herdier... and now some nosy kid caught me!"

Uhh... Okay, dude? Thanks for the free stuff and the dog! (In the base game, this makes a little more sense, because the TM he throws at you is Frustration, an almost useless move.)

"Well, at any rate, I'm really grateful for your help, you two!"

Some dude in Spec Ops cosplay is the reason he's back here, by the way.

: "Your Pokémon might have been gone for good! Take better care of it!"

And Hugh storms off!

:iiam:

There's a fade to black, and we find ourselves alone in this clearing. Let's rub a disc on our jellyfish.

This is our first TM! In Gen 5, TM's (Technical Machines) are infinitely usable, making them really, really good to have! This one will teach Blue Flare (a move only learnable by Reshiram and Victini, two legendaty pokemon) to any pokemon able to learn it! That is to say, to 90% of fire types that we catch and 25% of every other pokemon. Blue Flare is a strong but slightly inaccurate move that has a 20% chance to burn. It will also double the power of Fusion Bolt if used immediately before it on the same turn, so it could turn Star Me into even more of a shitwrecker in double battles. Can any of our pokemon learn it?

LL Can! But I decide not to have her learn it because it doesn't really do that much for her, because it doesn't cover any resistances that her poison type doesn't already hit for at least neutral damage, and 5 pp moves run out real quick. Maybe someone else will be able to make use of it, though!

Now, you might think we're done here, but honestly we're not even close. I've got like 30 minutes of footage left in this episode, because we still have 3 more pokemon to catch in this area and one of them just wouldn't show up. How do I know this? Well, I chose area 1:1 mapping as my setting for wild pokemon randomization in this playthrough, which means that each pokemon that appears in an area will be replaced by a different one. This area has 7 different pokémon which can appear, and we've only caught 4! So let's get catching!

Tiny cocoon worm! More mysteries!

Slowpoke! A lovable idiot!

(...25 minutes later)

A weird, wiggly tree!

Let's check all of these pokes out!

AllTiedUp is a strange pokemon. I might have to go back and catch 2 more of him, because he can actually evolve into what are essentially 3 completely different pokemon! They have three different type combinations and three different stat spreads, but they're all counted as the same pokemon. They also all serve similar functions, being pokemon with pretty good defenses, a decent attacking stat and not much else. Regardless of whether or not I go catch more Burmy, AllTiedUp is here and he's... well, he's here! His ability is useless and his stats are subpar right now, but he's got two serviceable moves at least.

Pin Missile is a multi-hit attack that... oh, once again I should have checked up before typing. Right now, Pin Missile is trash. It hits between 2 and 5 times for piddly damage each time, and hits a little over three times on average, giving it really bad power, and it's only got 85% accuracy. Its power was nearly doubled and its accuracy was raised to 95% in the next games, which made it way better. Trump Card is a weird move that does more damage the less PP it has, reaching average power when it has 1 PP and going up to double the power of earthquake on its last move. It's also one of the few special moves that makes contact. It's mostly bad! Flamethrower is The Fire Type Attack, good power, perfect accuracy, 10% chance to burn. Synchronoise is... weird. It's not very strong, and it can only hit pokemon that share a type with the user. In the next games, it's way more powerful which makes its restriction more sensible, but here it's just sort of baffling.

AllTiedUp is in a bad place right now, but who knows what could happen if we used him? He's not unusable at the very least, thanks to Flamethrower.

Honey is apparently pretty fast for a Slowpoke! Hasty makes her speed go up and her defense go down. Right now, she has high attack, Defense and HP, but when she evolves she'll either have high Special Attack and high Defense or high Special Attack and high Special Defense, with good health and average everything else but speed either way. Since her defense is lowered, Slowking is probably the better evolution for Honey to go for. Break those gender norms! Marvel Scale is a useful ability, it multiplies a pokemon's defense by 50% when they have a status condition, which helps ease the sting a little bit. Her moves are pretty okay too!

Soak is a neat little gimmick, changing the target's type to water until the battle ends or they're switched out. Aqua Tail is crabhammer without the increased crit chance, which is still pretty good. Psychic is The Psychic Attack, strong and accurate with a 10% chance to lower the target's Special Defense, making it even stronger. Lunar Dance is normally the signature move of Cresselia, a legendary pokemon. It causes the user to faint, but fully heals the pokemon that comes in to replace them. It's useful for a tanky pokemon like Slowpoke, since you can use it once the opponent has come close to chipping down your defenses and fainting is inevitable anyway to give the next pokemon you send in an edge.

Honey is a pretty sweet pokemon overall!

Slipknot is not actually a tree, she's just a rock that plays one on TV! She is also impish, which is good for him because he's a physical attacker with great defense! Everything else is either terrible or below average, but those two main stats are pretty good! Her ability is also really good, doubling the chances of secondary effects (like the slow chance on Rock Tomb or the paralyze chance on Bolt Strike. Speaking of which, her moves are pretty decent!

We already know about Sludge Bomb and Rock Tomb. Bolt Strike is electric, physical Blue Flare which is good for those pesky water types that Slipknot is afraid of, and it has a 40% chance to paralyze because of Serene Grace. Leaf Tornado is sort of like Grass type Octazooka, but better in basically every way. It's a little more accurate and has a 20% higher chance to lower accuracy, which means that it's a 100% in Slipknot's branches.

Slipknot's a tree I would wiggle with any day. And that's all the pokemon that we can get on Floccesy Ranch! Let's head back and see how Alder's doing.

: "Hrm... You were only gone a moment, but you and your Pokémon have grown. Why, I could almost mistake you for someone else! Well then. Instead of training you, I would like you and your Pokémon to give me a hand!"

Yeah, cool, we can help this dude out, but next time!

For now, we've got our first party composition vote!! Explanation of how this works will go in the next post!

Poll is super over! Head to the next update to see the team!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 31, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
(hey, if you hit to go to the last post, go back a post! That's the update!)

So, now that we've got enough pokemon to fill out our party, it's the thread's choice who the pokes that aren't Nena are gonna be! Vote here if you missed the link at the end of the update! You can vote for as many pokemon as you like! All of them are in the second post with their stats and abilities if you have trouble remembering which names are which pokes!

I'm gonna run this poll until Monday Night at 11:59 PST. At that point, the five pokemon with the most votes will be our party! I've got a cross-country plane ride on Tuesday, so I'll record the next update then and then either post it on Wednesday or Thursday.

One thing that I'll say about how these polls are gonna work: If a pokemon is not voted into the party for two polls in a row, it will be removed from the poll until we reach an area with pokemon around the level where it would evolve. At that point, I'll train it up, evolve it and add it back to the rotation! For pokemon with multiple evolutions I'll probably run smaller polls asking which form people would want to see, or go catch a few of them and get them all depending on how much work that would be! We'll see! For now, get to voting, and I'm very glad to see that this LP is inspiring people to go back and play pokémon!

Edit: Oh and don't think that because the voting is on strawpoll you can't post your votes in the thread or talk about why you voted the way you did! Try to campaign for your favorite pokes, sway people's opinions, please don't argue, but I love seeing people get excited about pokemon!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Man, the randomiser is loving these moves that are supposed to unique to end-game legendaries. :stare:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I voted for:

Nat - Because the mighting RNGesus obviously wants us to have 2 Nidoran's in our party to chew up space.

Kennedy - Because after Metal ghosts are my favorite typing and we need to make something of this boy.

All Tied Up - Forever tied up in the party and loving it.

Honey - loving SLOWPOKE SON

Star Me - Having a Normal type can be useful in a world of elemental weaknesses. gently caress it shoot lightning bolts.

Edit: uuuugh wow the improvements to the interface and stuff from B/W 2 over B/W are huuuuuuuge.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 13, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Star Me is electric, though!!

Also I added a list of all of the "active" pokemon into the second post, just in case you have trouble remembering who these pokemon all are! It's not so much of a problem now, but next poll will have... somewhere between 22 and 26 choices, which is... yeah.

This game has a lot of pokemon.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
ain't saying I'm wrong
Voted! And I hope it's cool if I also post here and there about my encounters in this concurrent playthrough. Let me know if it's not. :shobon:

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Yeah, that happens sometimes. I've been lucky so far that there hasn't been anything too insanely strong that I've run into, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. The best advice I can gibe is probably to ge a new seed and try again since it was on route 1, if you really liked your starter you can pick it for yourself like I did even!

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, the randomiser is loving these moves that are supposed to unique to end-game legendaries. :stare:

I decided to stick it out! And oh man, there is no truer statement than 'the randomiser loves unique legendary moves'. But before we get to that, as far as starters go: the randomizer was set to allow basic pokemon with two evolutions, so it kind of loosely follows how that normally do. The selection came down to: Solosis, Togepi, and Sandile. And the winner was...

That she ended up with Tinted Lens as an ability was great. I even had to double check - despite the Sandile line being specifically designed as "sand crocodile with sun glasses" it's actually not at all a normal ability they'd get, but still very appropriate. :3:

As for the hellbeasts I encountered on the first route:

Simisear has two!! Two legendary-unique attacks on top of having Fire Blast and something that's mediocre but still type-effective against Goggles!! One of those legendary-unique moves even has a power of 180. Leafeon has Seed Flare filling that legendary-only slot, but also has another 120 power move in, well, Power Whip. This, and they have an ability that halves the damage of attacks that would normally be super effective, like say... Goggles' Fiery Dance.

Jesus christ.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
So long as you don't post any specifics about the plot or later areas (like if you were to namedrop the first gym leader or something), I'm cool with people sharing their own randomizer stuff!

Also holy poo poo that Simisear

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 2:

Ranch Continued

Espeon
Volcarona - Caught
Spinarak - Ignored cause already have enough bugs
Thundurus - ANOTHER LEGENDARY?! Jeeze. Caught one after 5 more balls.
Bagon - Awww yeah 3rd favorite type is Dragons and this is an early Dragon! Took me 5 darn Pokeballs though.
Prinplup - Looks like I get a 2nd chance at the Starter from D/P!

I have ditched all my early Legendaries. Even RegiStank because they are just too drat OP. And I'm level grinding on fast forward enough that it isn't really relevant.

This is the Thundurus I found. So I'm in what the 3rd area of the game and I have 3 Legendaries now? :shepface:

Then I got this girl. HOLY BALLS. LOOK AT THOSE MOVES. LOOK AT THAT ABILITY. :shittypop: THE GOD OF TIME AND SPACE IN TINY DRAGON FORM. Too bad her Special Attack sucks because she is Adamant too which means with Physical Dragon moves she'd be a powerhouse. Roar was Twister but I decided there's no real point in having both Twister and Dragon Breath because one is more-or-less the better version of the other. Also the same arguement could be applied for Rend and Roar but screw that noise look how freaking awesome it is. Now if only it was on a Special Attack Dragon :sbahj:

Edit: Oh and my TM was Wide Guard which according to Bulbapedia is entirely useless to me.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 13, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
You said you like metal boys so you should definitely hold on to that prinplup

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Didn't manage to catch it sadly. And I don't plan on it as I'm at 4 mons already and I plan on rotating the group till the end when I may hyjack the thread to vote on what I should take to the E4 and post game.

Look at that Dragon though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In future polls, I'd recommend you append the pokemon's species to its name. I had to go crossreference the posts to remember what half of these guys were because I'm terrible with names.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Simisear has two!! Two legendary-unique attacks

Wait hold on if I'm not wrong, it gets better. Isn't Glaciate unique to Kyurem? Not that it's otherwise as notable as the two specialties of this generation's Mew/Celebi/etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Abridging the game via screenshots can be pretty funny, like all the narcoleptic pokemon you seem to find, or the Snorunt that kills itself by using Ice Fang :v:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait hold on if I'm not wrong, it gets better. Isn't Glaciate unique to Kyurem? Not that it's otherwise as notable as the two specialties of this generation's Mew/Celebi/etc.

It is, yeah :laffo:
Hope you caught that obscenely godlike monkey!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Small correction: you said Pin Missile's accuracy was raised to 25%. That'd make it an absolutely terrible move, it is actually 95%.

That said wow, I didn't know OHKO moves worked that way. I thought they had a flat 30% chance of working so long as the user was the same or higher level than the opponent. I've learned something new.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
ain't saying I'm wrong

AlphaKretin posted:

Roro posted:

It is, yeah :laffo:
Hope you caught that obscenely godlike monkey!

What the heck!! Here I was worried when I first encountered one, "oh. it's a stone evolution so it's not going to learn anything new outside of TMs, bummer?" But here we are! :psyduck:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

In future polls, I'd recommend you append the pokemon's species to its name. I had to go crossreference the posts to remember what half of these guys were because I'm terrible with names.

this, please

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh. Sorry, LL.

That's not cool, J.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, I sort of realized that, which is why I went and put the stat screens for all of the pokes up for vote (and also Nena for completeness' sake) in the 2nd post. I'll try to remember to point out the species in the future, though, and include a link to the 2nd post in the votepost.

Lady Naga posted:

Abridging the game via screenshots can be pretty funny, like all the narcoleptic pokemon you seem to find, or the Snorunt that kills itself by using Ice Fang :v:

Yeah, these pokemons just seem to fall asleep all around me for some reason! I guess I'm just really calming.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ha this looked fun, so I decided to try it out.

Of the three starters, Bagon, Weedle and Magby, I choose the last one :3:

I then proceeded to capture a Zapdos, Regigigas and Dewott :shepface:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I made some modifications to your settings for my own game:

1) Randomize starters (basic with 2 evolutions) - Why not?
2) Randomize wild pokemon using "random" setting instead of "area:1:1" - Yes it screws with distribution, but gives more variety to encounters
3) Static pokemon left unchanged - This setting feels like it screws up the story since they are scripted events and the script doesn't always adapt to changes to statics
4) "Randomize held items" with "remove bad items" flags - I like the idea of having a drop/steal table in RPGs. I find held items tend to be under-used most of the time.

I'd post my config file but it's late and i don't have the time to mess with google drive right now. Just thought I'd share.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This is my new favorite in my White 2 play through that I am doing because I feel the urge to try out randomness but don't wanna play ahead of the LP in Black 2. Thought I'd share how cool it is.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Escavalier with Defend Order? Oooh boy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Escavalier with Defend Order? Oooh boy.

Is this good? I was more excited by having Motor Drive.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Basically it's just a natural tank with a good defensive buff that would usually be exclusive to another Pokemon. Not as insane as three lengendary exclusive super moves on one Pokemon, but a nice happy little coincidence.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 14, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I'm not a huge Pokemon geek (in that I don't know a lot about the different skills or which belongs to what Pokemon) but I've enjoyed the games since they first came out so I figure, eh, never done a randomised version so why not?

Starters were a Fighting-type Wurmple, an Electric/Grass-type Sewaddle and a Flying-type Oddish.

I chose the Sewaddle since I've never really bothered with grass or electric types before (bar Pokemon Yellow). Her moves aren't too bad for what they are - pretty strong though they have some detriments to them. That Special Defence is pretty crazy, though. She took a Solar Beam to the face after using one Cotton Guard and it only did 2 damage. Sadly, she is pretty fragile.

First route has Budew (Rock-type) and Pidove (Psychic-Grass). Kinda scary and some tough battles for my poor Sewaddle, especially the higher-levelled Budews who learned Sand Tomb (?).

I actually got wiped by a Pidove - it had an ability that increased it's speed to hell and back, so I had a hard time against it. It one-shot my poor Budew, then took down my Pidove. Sewaddle was already half-health when it hit her with a Wood Hammer.

I haven't even reached the second town yet. >.<; My Poke-skills are a bit rusty it seems.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 14, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
oh jeeze you went max random. Good luck!

Oh, also, since I didn't mention it, in the case of a tie for 5th (like we have now) I will be exercising my executive power and just picking who to drop. Probably mostly gonna be following the rule of "Do they evolve? If so, I'll drop them since they'll be back in the running once they evolve."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh. That's not a sheep.

Hey, it had Static, which is Mareep's ability; maybe it's just a really overgrown, freshly shorn sheep?

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 14, 2016

• Locked thread