Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

FishOnAPiano posted:

Hey, it had Static, which is Mareep's ability; maybe it's just a really overgrown, freshly shorn sheep?

I'm never eating mutton again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just encountered a Heatnor with Dry Skin.

:drat: So spicey that he instantly turns water to steam.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hello, it is 12:01 AM PST on Tuesday, which means that voting is closed! Our team for the next few updates is going to be

1. Nena, our Baby Mom
2. Star Me, the shitwrecker lion
3. Slipknot, the Tree??
4. Honey, the...
5. Hootie the Blowfish
6. Move it, the Cow

Next update (which should be everything up to the first gym battle) on Wednesday or Thursday!!

slowpoke

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Something just occured to me: does the randomizer affect the pokemon used in the movie shoots? Cause that might end your game right there, since you need to finish one movie at least iirc.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dragonwagon posted:

Something just occured to me: does the randomizer affect the pokemon used in the movie shoots? Cause that might end your game right there, since you need to finish one movie at least iirc.

Jolyne's settings randomize static encounters as well as wild ones. This might be a problem, but we'll see.

If it is, you could try re-rolling the game and see if the save file is still compatible. The header appears to be unchanged so I don't see why it wouldn't.

edit: Also "fastest text" causes some glitches. I would recommend removing it.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 15, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

How scripted is the mandatory movie? I know with optional ones you can gently caress up royally and still air it fine, so it might not be an issue.
Vague question about future mini game, probably doesn't even need tags but I'm playing it safe.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to gently caress it up, although the first one is so easy I never tried.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hello, it is 12:01 AM PST on Tuesday, which means that voting is closed! Our team for the next few updates is going to be

1. Nena, our Baby Mom
2. Star Me, the shitwrecker lion
3. Slipknot, the Tree??
4. Honey, the...
5. Hootie the Blowfish
6. Move it, the Cow

Next update (which should be everything up to the first gym battle) on Wednesday or Thursday!!

slowpoke

oh wow that's an awesome team. :3:
I was hoping Slipknot would win out, that looks like a really fun moveset, and Sudowoodo is pretty cool, although I seldom if ever used one all the way to the end in GSC.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A lot of films require certain moves or abilities and Pokemon at specific health and stuff, it's all very scripted (funnily enough :v: ), so it wouldn't really be possible for randomizer.

But there are also bad endings and weird endings, so maybe the stars might align and we have really cool/crazy movies where no one knows what the gently caress.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
If the randomizer does mess with movies, it's really not that hard for me to get another save file or play up to the point where I can start with movies, or, yeah, to import this save to the base game at the points where movies unlock.

Also, yeah, I've noticed Fastest Text screwing things up when text autoscrolls. Is there any way that I can just, like, modify the seed to get rid of that or will I have to reroll a seed with the same settings and go back to see what's different on Route 19 and Floccesy and make the next vote have like 35 pokemon instead of 25

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Also, yeah, I've noticed Fastest Text screwing things up when text autoscrolls. Is there any way that I can just, like, modify the seed to get rid of that or will I have to reroll a seed with the same settings and go back to see what's different on Route 19 and Floccesy and make the next vote have like 35 pokemon instead of 25

If you have the seed and config, try re-rolling the base game with both but without the "fast text" option. That should give you the same results but without the fast text.

I unfortunately did not save my seed value so unless I want to start over, I am out of luck.

Also, if you can transfer the save, you could roll a new game and pretend nothing changed by not going back to route 19, 20, or the ranch (assuming that you haven't gone past there yet).

mastersord fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 15, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

If the randomizer does mess with movies, it's really not that hard for me to get another save file or play up to the point where I can start with movies, or, yeah, to import this save to the base game at the points where movies unlock.

Can confirm that Randomizer doesn't mess with movies.

I just did 5 of them in a row with the pre-set Pokemon and they all appeared to have the correct moves/abilities to solve the "puzzles"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
So, I did the first Gym on my flight like I said, but I realized that Area 1:1 mapping makes gyms (or the early ones at least), well, just as predictable and boring as they are in the base game. To this end, I'm gonna make another randomized Rom with totally random trainer pokemon to use for gym battles and other places with tons of trainers and no wild pokemon and rerecord. I'll just transfer over the saves so our team should be the same between them (though learned moves and some small stuff will change between the gym file and the normal file because of the different randomization.) This shouldn't delay the update or anything, just keeping y'all up to date on my plans

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

So, I did the first Gym on my flight like I said, but I realized that Area 1:1 mapping makes gyms (or the early ones at least), well, just as predictable and boring as they are in the base game. To this end, I'm gonna make another randomized Rom with totally random trainer pokemon to use for gym battles and other places with tons of trainers and no wild pokemon and rerecord. I'll just transfer over the saves so our team should be the same between them (though learned moves and some small stuff will change between the gym file and the normal file because of the different randomization.) This shouldn't delay the update or anything, just keeping y'all up to date on my plans

What's wrong with 1:1 mapping on Gyms?

It just changes up the type theme of said Gym really while retaining everything else including scripted behavior of Gym leaders for use of items.

For example the 2nd gym for me, the rock'n'roll gym was supposed to be Poison themed in the base game but ended up being Metal for my White 2 run; which was amazing because Rock + Metal :D

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Gridlocked posted:

What's wrong with 1:1 mapping on Gyms?

It just changes up the type theme of said Gym really while retaining everything else including scripted behavior of Gym leaders for use of items.

For example the 2nd gym for me, the rock'n'roll gym was supposed to be Poison themed in the base game but ended up being Metal for my White 2 run; which was amazing because Rock + Metal :D

Mostly that they have the same 2 or 3 pokemon over and over again because of the way that the pokemon are in the gym notmally, which makes them really boring and samey compared to everywhere else in the randomizer where there's a half a dozen new wild pokemon and a bunch of trainers with cool pokemon and then the gyms, which are supposed to be a big thing, end up being 3 croagunks, 3 meditites with truant and a makuhita, which is sort of hard to try to make interesting.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Mostly that they have the same 2 or 3 pokemon over and over again because of the way that the pokemon are in the gym notmally, which makes them really boring and samey compared to everywhere else in the randomizer where there's a half a dozen new wild pokemon and a bunch of trainers with cool pokemon and then the gyms, which are supposed to be a big thing, end up being 3 croagunks, 3 meditites with truant and a makuhita, which is sort of hard to try to make interesting.

Oh I didn't find that at all. But I have only done gyms so far that have 1-2 Pokemon per trainer and 3 per Gym leader.

Can you do varied line ups on Gyms but still have the type theaming?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Yeah, it just picks from all the pokemon of that type instead of replacing every patrat with a Pikachu or whatever

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Yeah, it just picks from all the pokemon of that type instead of replacing every patrat with a Pikachu or whatever

Oh sick, how do I turn that on?

Edit: Man the best part about this randomiser is it doesn't matter if you wanna restart the game cause it's a fun new experience each time anyway :D

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 16, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Huh, apparently I actually just got sort of really unlucky with randomization because I had it set to use pokemon of similar strength with trainers, so it chose meditite and croagunk a bunch of times.

In a scrapped file that I was experimenting with, the first gym leader had a Serene Grace Palkia with Scald and an Insomnia Giratina, and then a surprise Axew that almost managed to kill my whole team once I figured out a way to not get wiped by the legendaries.

The file that I actually used for recording was pretty cool as well, though it was a much more manageable form of nail-biting than "Well, poo poo, how do I deal with two different box-legendaries." I actually really like this little setup that I've stumbled into, where I do most of the game with trainers being not-too powerful and then teleport myself to a world where everything is bonkers and my guys who are fairly low-level are now not only facing ridiculous monsters, but ridiculous monsters that are 2-3 levels higher than them, so I think I'm gonna keep doing this! Playing through, capturing and training Pokémon on this file and then teleporting them to this weird world where legendaries and pseudolegendaries and surprisingly strong babies lurk around every corner when there's gyms and team hideouts (there's probably team hideouts in this game, though I'm not exactly sure) and stuff like that. Makes things exciting!

Update almost certainly coming on Thursday, not tomorrow, though because of the extra recording and experimenting I've been doing today

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Could you post your randomiser settings for each file in the thread? It'd be interesting to see what it turns out in other files.

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
I was playing with the randomizer and Pokemon black and have to show you guys the greatest starter:

:allears:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you are using something that supports save states in order to save time keep in mind that the RNG stops when you enter a battle/encounter. That means you cannot save and reload when trying to catch something. You would instead have to try on different turns or re-encounter your target.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
While this is technically true, you can at least save pokeballs in the early game when money actually matters by savestating then doing something different if the capture fails

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
So I started my own game with White 2, ended up getting a Weedle as a starter while Hugh got a loving hammerhead dragon. But then the first pokemon I saw was a Gardevoir which took me 11 balls to catch but still a nice prize. I also randomized all the item balls and ended up getting an ultra ball at the first item ball. All in all a good start I'd say

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Hey guys, my D&D session tonight ran longer than I expected so I won't actually be able to finish writing the update tonight. I've got it most of the way done, so it'll be finished and posted by tomorrow!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Calamitous_Justice posted:

I was playing with the randomizer and Pokemon black and have to show you guys the greatest starter:

:allears:

Mr. Fish is the fish we need.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Uxie on Route 20 broke me. I had to use a "catch all Pokemon" code. I'm ashamed.
On the bright side, I rolled Happiny on Route 19, Uxie, Rufflet and Absol on 20 and Flygon, Bronzong and Machoke in Floccesy Ranch so I'm doing great for leveling and variety. I started with Geodude, Hugh got NidoranM and on Route 19 was... NidoranF. Guess what I called her?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am currently annoyed at how difficult it is to get a HM Bitch without ruining my awesome party dynamic.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Only bad people use HM slaves

Update in a bit! Eating dinner right now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gridlocked posted:

I am currently annoyed at how difficult it is to get a HM Bitch without ruining my awesome party dynamic.

I turned on Mew Mode (Every 'mon can learn every TM/HM), and even then I don't have an HM slave, although I will be sticking Dive and Waterfall on my Surfing Ludicolo. Or whoever I decide to Surf on next.

I love the randomizer, although I wish there was an option to tell it to do sanity checks on evolved forms. Like if it rolls level 2 Dragonite for route 19, downgrade it to Dratini.

My randomizer on B2 spat out Snivy and Tepig on Route 20, which I spotted from browsing the summary file and picked Oshawott to take advantage of. Turns out a three-starter party is kinda boring, especially when I'm leaving things like Barboach, Drifloon, and Anorith in the PC to keep the starters around.

My current party is:
Arpeggio - A Mienfoo from Floccesy Ranch. I'm hoping she evolves soon, because her power is starting to fall behind the rest of the party and the wild 'mons.
Valoria - A Shelgon (evolved) from Route 20.
Mayhem - A Houndoom (evolved) from the Castelia sewers.
Largo - A Xatu (evolved) from Virbank Complex.
Ridiculoso - A Ludicolo (evolved) from Route 6.
And Barbatos, a shiny Beldum I hacked in and spent 18 levels doing nothing but Take Down with. It's currently a Metang, but should hit Metagross soon. In terms of stats and moves and all the hidden values that make it shiny and functional, it is entirely legit, except the game thinks I met it at level 2 on Victory Road.

I also hacked in a Wonder Guard Spiritomb, which I use exclusively for the Battle Subway. I still managed to lose, because it got Toxiced. :negative:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 3: House of Gold and Bones

Welcome back everyone! Last time, Alder invited us into his house! But first...

Let's steal 2 bucks from his lawn!

Oh, schoolchildren and desks! I guess Alder's house doubles as a school of some sort, which makes sense I guess. This could also just be one room instead of the whole thing, with video game abstractions. Who knows?

You bet I am!

: "but you can learn from losing as well. More importantly, haven't I been telling you just to enjoy Pokémon battles?"

School these children, got it boss.

Oh, cool, I get it. Since Alder told us too, I guess we'll actually fight this vanillite.

Move it starts by yawning at it, and then gets punched by stubby little arms in return.

I will never tire of that specific frame of headbutt, and this Vanillite apparently generates electricity!

And then he falls asleep and is summarily dispatched. Pretty simple battle!

I can help teach you! Lesson number 1: Have more than one pokemon.

: "Well, next we have Cassie! But first, let's heal your pokemon."

Uhh, he didn't really need it, but thanks!

Oh, that poor little psychic baby is going to be crushed by my cow no matter the types, girlie.

Especially if that's the only move you're using. Psywave is a weird move that isn't affected by STAB or type advantages/disadvantages (immunity still works) and does anywhere between .5x and 1.5x the user's level in damage, rounding down. It is both too random and too weak to really be counted on.

My cow is way stronger than your baby and your baby only knew how to be random.

: "I could tell that all of the Pokémon were enjoying themselves as well!"

: "Pokémon types are very important in battle, aren't they? Water is strong against Fire... Fire is strong against Grass... Grass is strong against Water... Type matchups don't decide everything, though!"

Nope! Sometimes pokemon are just stronger, or cooler, or they've got nice coverage moves or a bunch of other stuff! (Cassie interrupted Alder here to talk about STAB but I've already explained that.)

: "Meeting Pokémon and people you never would have met otherwise is truly one of the great things about traveling!"

Heck yeah it is! So let's travel.

Oh! We're already meeting new people.

: "Now, don't say anything. Just take this!"

Oh! Uhh, thanks?

: "And people call me Mr. Medal."

Uhhh, not really.

: "The Meal Rally is an event that evaluates various activities of Trainers. So... In commemoration of your participation, please take this medal!"

Neat! Is it worth anything?

: "And here's some help for the Medal Rally! I'll give you Hint Medals, too!"

: "For your information, you can get Medals if you meet their conditions. Go to a Pokémon Center and you can get medals from me one after another! First, please use your medal box and check the inside!"

Okay! Do they actually do anything?

Well. Since apparently he's not interested in telling us, I will: No, the Medals have no actual use. They are purely an Achievement system which is full of mostly pointless achievements like "Save ten times" or "Take a million steps." It's sorta dumb, but I guess I'll go talk to Mr. Medal every once in a while to get some medals.

: "As for the newly opened Pokémon Gym in Aspertia City, I heard a new Gym Leader has arrived there. You should go and test how strong you've become!"

Finally someone says something useful! Thanks Alder.

He goes back to his... House? School? Something, and we can go back to our hometown for our first gym (after we go to Floccesy Ranch and get all of our party members up to level 9, which seems like a good level to face the first gym at).

Oh! Someone else wants to talk to us!

Oh, it's Alder again. Less impressive the second time.

: "First, take these!"

: "If you give one to your pokemon, its HP will be restored. What's more! You can give your Pokémon a Berry to hold. Like this Oran Berry, for instance. When a Pokémon holds this Berry, it can eat the berry if it gets hurt in the heat of battle to restore its HP."

Oh, that sounds useful! (I forget to use these.)

: "Well... I just told you to challenge the Gym Leader. Aspertia's Gym Leader is a very strong Pokémon Trainer! But you have nothing to worry about! If you think hard about what the Pokémon at your side can do, and what you should do as a Trainer, victory will be yours!

Yeah, it's just the first gym. How hard could it be?

:
: "Actually, take on the Gym Leaders of each city! Working together with your Pokémon is what makes you grow as a Trainer. As you and your Pokémon grow stronger, your world will get broader!"

I was already planning on it! I mean, it would be nice if there was something else to do in these games, but as it is I've really got no other choice.

And Alder walks off, never to be seen again (until his inevitable postgame battles),

To the gym!

... Huh, this doesn't really look like a gym. Maybe a locker room, but usually those aren't the place you enter. Pokémon Gyms look sort of weird sometimes, though, so maybe these are trainers?

Or they're just people! Okay. Let's keep going!

In the next room, this guy gives us some free stuff!

A lot of the time, items are unnecessary but they can come in handy. Most of the time it's just healing items, though.

"like potions."

Oh! Something I forgot to point out, one of our pokemon has had a held item for the whole time we've had her! Hootie is holding a poison barb, which makes poison type attacks do 20% more damage when held. It's useful!

This is pretty good advice for someone playing an unrandomized run, because Riolu is both a really good pokemon (that becomes even better when he evolves) and, yeah, fighting is the only type that is super-effective against normal. If nothing else, you could just run around for a while to raise its friendship and have it evolve into Lucario, who would have no problem with anything in this gym. Whether you actually need a fighting type to beat this gym? Ehhhh.

"when it's trying to evolve!"

This is something that has been in the games since the very beginning, though it's never exactly been necessary to know. Could be useful if we don't find the item to evolve Honey for a while, though. In any case, that's all the people in this part of the building, let's check out the other part!

Oh, hey, I guess this is the actual gym! The guy thanks us for coming here and then gives us some water! Something feels different about this gym, though...

Oh, I'm sure this will be quite the challenge.

Yeah, that's me.

Oh! It's Cheren! He was a main character in Black and White, and now he's a gym leader! Sorta like Blue/Gary/Green in Gold and Silver, but at the beginning of the game instead of near the end.

: "Hm? Well, maybe I'd better say that I just became the Gym Leader! More importantly, we need to prepare before welcoming you to the Gym."

Oh! I guess we got here just as fast as it seemed, though it's sort of weird that alder would know who the gym leader is and tell us to go fight him before the gym was actually ready.

Ah, okay! In a lot of the games, the first gym (and most gyms) had a bunch of trainers in them, but they were in some way optional. Apparently you've got to fight the trainers here, though. I guess they wanted you to have a little more experience on your pokes before fighting Cheren, since there have been relatively few trainer battles so far.

Cheren walks off, and we talk to his first subordinate! After we talk, this happens:

It makes us walk away, and then approach each other! It's a neat little thing, I think, makes everything seem more official.

... Oh. This would probably be very bad for any of our other pokemon, but Honey at least has a super-effective attack that works pretty well with her stats to try to take care of this guy with.

That's not good.

Okay, that was too close for comfort. Bonemerang is normally one of the signature moves of the Cubone line, and it's pretty good! It has 90% accuracy but it hits twice and both hits together are as strong as earthquake. This makes it worse than Earthquake in a lot of situations because of the worse accuracy, but there are some situations we might encounter where hitting multiple times can be useful.

Regardless, Honey hung on by the skin of her teeth, and one more aqua tail takes care of Excadrill.

Oh, hey, it's my second favorite starter ever! And he's got a drat powerful ability. Hopefully Star Me can handle him!

Oh, shoot. Rain boosts the power of water moves by 50% (and halves the power of fire moves), so this is going to hurt.

Oh, dang. Well, Hootie should be faster than Empoleon at least.

And she was! If not for the rain, Octozooka might not have been enough to take him out.

Man, I don't know what it is about these two lines, but they make me really dislike this kid. Let's get away from him ASAP.

The same thing with the stepping back and approaching each other happens here too! It's still neat.

Oh, wow, that is a really bad ability for a Ferroseed to have. Fire is already his biggest weakness, and sun makes fire moves stronger just like rain does with water. It does mean, however, that Honey has no business being here.

Move It comes in and gets hit by some inexplicable feathers.

Oh. Well, Honey got some more experience at least! And because Move It got ko'd by that, I didn't get to know what the next pokemon I would be facing was going to be!

I made a poor choice.

A very poor choice.

Slipknot gives a valiant effort, but she is defeated.

I have no idea why I sent Nena out here, since the only move she has which can actually damage a steel type is Crush Grip, and steel resists normal on top of all of the other problems Crush Grip has. Plus he's raising his defense even higher!

Hootie, our little ringer, comes in to clean up the mess, because Honey is almost fainted and Nena and Move It can't do much with him boosting his defense super high.

Octozooka pulls its weight.

Our lil' sacks of poison both level up! Neat.

Yeah, let's go take on Cheren! After we make a quick trip to the Pokémon Center, of course, because half of our team is fainted or nearly there.

: "as a Gym Leader! Let's both do our best and have a battle we can be proud of!"

Yeah!! (There will be a video of this battle here at some point, still figuring out video editing stuff that's not just "redo battle but capture it in OBS"!)

Oh, well, this isn't good. Metagross is a Pseudolegendary pokemon (meaning that his stats are as high as a pokemon's stats can be without being a legendary or a gimmick pokemon), and he's Steel/Psychic which is a type that I have no real ways of dealing with in this party. Right now, his only weaknesses are Ground and Fire. Really wishing that one of my pokemon had been able to learn Blue Flare at this point. I've got a plan, though.

Good, step one of the plan goes off without a hitch. Soak turns Metagross from a Psychic/Steel type to a Water type, which I do have some way of dealing with!

Oh, right, he still has massive stats. Hmm. Well, time for step two of the plan!

Star Me takes a licking from Metagross, but he should be able to survive another hit, and with Metagross at half health Fusion Bolt should be able to take him out.

Or he can outspeed Star Me and crit. Star Me's destiny is to be owned, I guess.

I'm having Slipknot weaken Metagross with Leaf Tornado because Bolt Strike paralyzing him and activating Marvel Scale (which he stole from Honey earlier) could lead to Bad Times, especially since Cheren, like most gym leaders, will use a potion on his pokemon if they're knocked below 20% health.

And there we go, worked like a charm and in hindsight I am very glad that Metagross didn't have any steel moves, because Slipknot would have been very much in trouble.

Not... entirely sure why I sent Honey out against Magnemite, this could end very poorly.

The Magnemite throws feathers (???) and bites (:psyduck:) Honey to great effect, while Sunny soaks it and then I yet again do something that I cannot explain.

Yeah, I used Lunar Dance. Not sure why, but I did.

And then I sent out Slipknot, because I remembered that Lunar Dance can't bring back a fainted pokemon. That's why I did it, I was trying to bring Star Me back to capitalize on the soaked Magnemite.

A bolt strike does the job.

Move it starts with his standard opener.

And then things get weird. Trick Room is a weird gimmick, it makes slow pokemon fast and fast pokemon slow.

I send out Slipknotand then this happens.

Yeah. Bronzor somehow manages to take out half of my team despite spending multiple turns asleep. Gear Grind is essentially steel type bonemerang, so it's pretty powerful, but still. After that debacle, though...

Well, that gym as a whole was way more threatening than it should have been. Still manageable, though.

Hey! If you aren't reading the thread, you might not know what's actually going on here. See, this whole gym has taken place on a different file than the main LP, and most gyms in the future will too! If you want to know what happened on the normal file, well, here you go! It was a whole lot of this:

Also, Star Me got owned, because Star Me getting owned is a multiversal constant.

: "That battle has made me feel really glad you were my first challenger as a Gym Leader… I give you this in honor of the strength you and your Pokémon showed!"

Cool, we got a shiny book!

: "Here is your first Gym Badge, the Basic Badge! This is an important milestone! With this Badge, Pokémon up to Lv. 20 will obey you, including traded Pokémon."

Neat, though irrelevant for this LP.

Ooh, cool! Crunch is a pretty powerful, physical dark type move with a 10% chance to lower the target's defense. Dark is a nice coverage type for a lot of pokemon, hitting psychic and ghosts super-effectively.

I think I've mentioned this before, but yeah, from Black and White forward, TMs can be used however many times you want, making them (and a whole lot of pokemon that relied on TM Moves to be good) way more useful!

: "In the Unova region, there are eight Pokémon Gyms and eight Gym Badges! If you're a Trainer, you could collect all of them! That will make it easier to fill the pages of the Pokédex as well! Yes, two years ago, Pokédex in hand, I left on a journey with my friends."

Two years ago...

That's gonna be it for this update! It was nice seeing Cheren again, though it's too bad that since he's a gym leader he's never going to be relevant again.

Tune in next time for Majin Buu, Deceit and a very tired Jolyne!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Dareon posted:

My current party is:
Arpeggio - A Mienfoo from Floccesy Ranch. I'm hoping she evolves soon, because her power is starting to fall behind the rest of the party and the wild 'mons.

I hope you turned on the option to make late evolutions happen earlier, because Mienfoo suffers from a problem that a lot of Gen V pokemon suffered from, in that they were designed only with Black and White in mind, where they were acquired at a super high level and didn't evolve until an even higher level as a result. Mienfoo evolves at level 50 normally, which is just stupid.

Also, hoping this post knocks the update post out of The Phantom Zone.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Cheren in my game ended up having a Mewtwo as his first pokemon. I got my poo poo wrecked cause I didn't have anything besides kakuna that could hit super effective against it. And it killed him in the first turn. I had to go power level to get through him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Steel as the first Gym? Pokemon games sure have gotten hard! :v:

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh, shoot. Rain boosts the power of water moves by 50% (and halves the power of fighting moves), so this is going to hurt.

I don't think you meant Fighting there. It does lower the power of one of Steel-type's weaknesses, but not Fighting.

Also you have a repeated image when Metagross used Role Play.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I got Cheren with Landorus and Staraptor, the latter of which had Sky Attack and Brave Bird. He took out three of my team alone :shepface:
Then after beating the gym, the very next trainer I had to fight had a loving Haxorus! Who also took out three of my team :shepicide:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
RNGesus: telling you to eat dicks since 19XX. It seems the randomizer for our fellow goons is out for blood at the very first gyms and it's hunger won't be sated for long, I'm sure. I'd join in on the randomizer action but every time I tried to get a DS emulator running decently I failed absolutely miserably. :v:...:negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I seriously can't believe it took them so long to make TMs infinite-use.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Steel as the first Gym? Pokemon games sure have gotten hard! :v:

I don't think you meant Fighting there. It does lower the power of one of Steel-type's weaknesses, but not Fighting.

Also you have a repeated image when Metagross used Role Play.

some day I will stop making these mistakes, and that day will probably be when I stop finishing updates at 3 in the morning.

Lady Naga posted:

I seriously can't believe it took them so long to make TMs infinite-use.

Yeah, it was really a no-brainer, and is one of the main reasons why I can't really go back and play the pre-gen-V games. Infinite TMs was such a good QoL improvement that I didn't even realize I needed until it happened.

Roro posted:

I got Cheren with Landorus and Staraptor, the latter of which had Sky Attack and Brave Bird. He took out three of my team alone :shepface:
Then after beating the gym, the very next trainer I had to fight had a loving Haxorus! Who also took out three of my team :shepicide:

Lazaruise posted:

Cheren in my game ended up having a Mewtwo as his first pokemon. I got my poo poo wrecked cause I didn't have anything besides kakuna that could hit super effective against it. And it killed him in the first turn. I had to go power level to get through him.

Like I said, in another file where I was experimenting to see what settings were causing such a boring gym, Cheren had both Palkia and Giratina, both of which had some pretty devastating moves. The randomizer can be unfairly difficult sometimes, which is why I now have 4 randomized files that I can stick Jolyne into until I get a gym that is exciting but not insurmountable without resorting to grinding.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Like I said, in another file where I was experimenting to see what settings were causing such a boring gym, Cheren had both Palkia and Giratina, both of which had some pretty devastating moves. The randomizer can be unfairly difficult sometimes, which is why I now have 4 randomized files that I can stick Jolyne into until I get a gym that is exciting but not insurmountable without resorting to grinding.

It's absurdly fun to suddenly be faced with a legendary at like level 10 though. I ran into a Reshiram in Virbank and just started laughing at how silly it was. Then I got Deoxys inside the Complex. This has really breathed a bit of life back into the older games for me. Once I got the ability to transfer Pokemon up to Pokemon Bank I just left all my cartridges to rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
In my game Cheren Poet Veronica had a Litwick and a Pineco. Not sure what type they were but they were weak to the rock type sacred sword that my starter, the electric/dark Hoppip had. I was rewarded with a stealth rock TM for my effort, which is a fire type move.

• Locked thread