Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 3:

Aspertia Gym

Grible - Everyone had one and I'm jelly as gently caress as my Bagon is no where near as cool. At least Salamance is cooler then Garchomp.
Deino - One trainer had one and I'm still jelly because it's even cooler then Bagon or Grible.
Bagon - Cheren had one and it was identicle to mine minus a level.

If you can't tell my Gym was Dragon themed. Fairly easy as my super amazing Mistress of Time and Space was able to one hit her way through all of the trash thanks to super effective use of Spacial Rend and Roar of Time; sadly she ended up falling to Cheren's Bagon who was faster and did the same back to her. I then wore down his Bagon and Grible through the use of my Venepide poisoning them and spamming Heal Order to heal to full every turn. During the battle with Grible he used a move that forced me to switch out to Vulkhaaaan who then Inferno'd its face off for being such a butt. All in all fairly easy gym battle. My TM was Poison Gas; not very useful to me as I already have Toxic which I think is just better.

I walked outside the gym, unlike Jolyne so minor spoiler ahead.
And because I walked outside to go heal my poor dead dragon I also got given Frustration by Biancia which is the crap version of Return and therefore unusable. According to Bulbapedia Return and Frustration are Normal-type Physical moves that deal damage based on how much Friendship value you have with the user; the higher the value the better Return gets but the worse Frustration gets. Because just doing stuff with your Pokemon, like walking around and grinding levels, causes them to increase your Friendship value Return will always end up out scaling Frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Hey the update is here for anyone who might have missed it!!

Also I was curious as to whether my guess about how to evolve Honey in that update was correct and nope, I was totally wrong! She will apparently just evolve with a water stone, which is available way more easily than a King's Rock.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 20, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 3:

Aspertia Gym

Grible - Everyone had one and I'm jelly as gently caress as my Bagon is no where near as cool. At least Salamance is cooler then Garchomp.
Deino - One trainer had one and I'm still jelly because it's even cooler then Bagon or Grible.
Bagon - Cheren had one and it was identicle to mine minus a level.

If you can't tell my Gym was Dragon themed. Fairly easy as my super amazing Mistress of Time and Space was able to one hit her way through all of the trash thanks to super effective use of Spacial Rend and Roar of Time; sadly she ended up falling to Cheren's Bagon who was faster and did the same back to her. I then wore down his Bagon and Grible through the use of my Venepide poisoning them and spamming Heal Order to heal to full every turn. During the battle with Grible he used a move that forced me to switch out to Vulkhaaaan who then Inferno'd its face off for being such a butt. All in all fairly easy gym battle. My TM was Poison Gas; not very useful to me as I already have Toxic which I think is just better.

I walked outside the gym, unlike Jolyne so minor spoiler ahead.
And because I walked outside to go heal my poor dead dragon I also got given Frustration by Biancia which is the crap version of Return and therefore unusable. According to Bulbapedia Return and Frustration are Normal-type Physical moves that deal damage based on how much Friendship value you have with the user; the higher the value the better Return gets but the worse Frustration gets. Because just doing stuff with your Pokemon, like walking around and grinding levels, causes them to increase your Friendship value Return will always end up out scaling Frustration.

To make it clear to everyone who hasn't played this game normally, Bianca doesn't give you Frustration if your Pokemon are fainted in the Gym battle. She'll give you Return no matter what. It's supposed to be a subtle thing about how Team Plasma mistreat their Pokemon (which is why the grunt you meet in Floccesy is supposed to give you Frustration) while those that work with Pokemon like the Professors and Leaders treat their Pokemon well. At least, I think it's supposed to imply that? (spoilers just elaborate on Gridlocked's one)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Roro posted:

To make it clear to everyone who hasn't played this game normally, Bianca doesn't give you Frustration if your Pokemon are fainted in the Gym battle. She'll give you Return no matter what. It's supposed to be a subtle thing about how Team Plasma mistreat their Pokemon (which is why the grunt you meet in Floccesy is supposed to give you Frustration) while those that work with Pokemon like the Professors and Leaders treat their Pokemon well. At least, I think it's supposed to imply that? (spoilers just elaborate on Gridlocked's one)

It's funny because obviously my seed of the Randomizer swapped Return for Frustration so they got reversed.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

It's funny because obviously my seed of the Randomizer swapped Return for Frustration so they got reversed.

It's like poetry :allears:

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
A terrible, instinctive fear came over me when the screenshot of the first gym trainer sending out an Excadrill loaded.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Thanks to the randomizer I now run in fear from Simisears. They get STAB on their bullet seed. It has 80 base power and perfect accuracy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can't really handle the full randomization loadout, because the first time I tried the randomizer, I stepped out of town, got in my first fight, and got one-shot by an Ice/Dark Charizard that Metronomed up Earthquake.

After I dialed it back to "Just give me all the pokeymans as Arceus intended them to be" I had a hilarious rival fight because I picked Porygon and he picked Gastly.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
So I made it to the first gym (I'm playing Black) and got my rear end handed to me by a poison-fighting Spearow and fighting-rock Pansage. It seems to be a gym based on poison types since I also faced off against a poison Vulpix, poison-electric Croagunk and poison-fighting Slugma. On the way to Striation town I ran into a fighting-type Purrlion with Colour Change (and a Razor Claw!), a Beldum that is Dragon-Rock type with Iron Fist and a Nincada of Fire-Dark persuasion with Inner Focus. I also have items randomised when it comes to pick-ups, so I found a Relic Silver, Stardust and Pass Orb.

The reason I lost in the gym is mainly because I rushed things and went straight there instead of grinding up a bit. ^.^; I wanted to see what they had to offer!

That said, it's not fully random. I kept some non-crazy aspects around like same-levels in areas and 1-to-1 mapping.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 21, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Man I can't imagine doing randomized typing, why would you do that to yourself :psyduck:

e: like seriously, if you do randomized typing + moveset + ability then the pokemon literally have nothing in common with themselves except appearance and that's absolutely nuts to me

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Their base stats remain the same.

So lament the day you meet a Ghost/Dark Metagross.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Not necessarily! The randomizer can either shuffle stats around, redistribute stats randomly while keeping the same BST or just give the pokemon completely random stats

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Someone Awful! posted:

Man I can't imagine doing randomized typing, why would you do that to yourself :psyduck:

e: like seriously, if you do randomized typing + moveset + ability then the pokemon literally have nothing in common with themselves except appearance and that's absolutely nuts to me

Everytime you meet a new 'mon it's a total crapshoot whether it will oneshot you or do barely any damage, it's great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can only imagine when you run into, say, a Ghost/Dark with Wonder Guard. Hope you brought some status effects, kids!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
A whole new 'mon~
New creatures to catch and use~
Cos when you randomise
Your party dies~
But it's a fleeting feeling!

A whole new 'mon (don't you dare run away)
Random types you never knew~ (battle on, it gets better!)
And if you catch them all
Then you will know
Just how to save Unova~

A whole new moooooon~ (A brand new team)
For goon and meeeee~

I tried. I'm sorry.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Someone Awful! posted:

It's like learning Pokemon all over again, except now their appearance doesn't even hint at types! :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's like those Delta Species cards, only even worse because at least those were mostly colour-coded.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can only imagine when you run into, say, a Ghost/Dark with Wonder Guard. Hope you brought some status effects, kids!

There's a sanity checkbox you can tick to keep Wonder Guard out of the early game, at least.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Learned something new today. If you use something that supports both save states and in-game saving, you might one day end up with a corrupt save file which the game will "helpfully" delete for you. If you try to restore it by saving from your last save state, it will not work, but fear not because there is a fix.

Simply start a new game and make an in-game save. Then re-load your last good save state and run an in-game save. Initialize a soft-reset (Select + Start + L + R) to make sure it takes and is now stable.

To prevent this, always save state after an in-game save and never in-game save from a previous save state. If you can, make backups of save state and battery save files when possible.

Edit to add: Black 2 in-game save files can be copied over to White 2 by just renaming them. I did not randomize stats, types, or exp/leveling curves. Moves and abilities carry over, so if you randomized them in your original game, they will stay that way in the new game. Not sure what happens to unlearned or forgotten moves.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 24, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 4.1: Just Can't Sleep Tonight

Hey! Welcome back! Last time we got our first badge from an old friend, this time we'll go shove it into that Hiker who thought we weren't cool enough's face! But first!

Hey Bianca!

: "How did your Pokémon battle with the Gym Leader go? Oh! If it isn't the Basic Badge! Wow! Amazing! And you just set off on your journey with your Pokémon! You definitely have potential as a Trainer! I'm sure of it!"

I've got more than potential, I've got talent, way too much free time and access to the internet to fill me in on the stuff that I don't know!

Oh, well that's a bit of a disappointment after the first two TMs. Kinesis is a move that only Kadabra and Alakazam can learn normally, and it's just a worse version of one of the basic status moves, Sand Attack. It's got an 80% chance to lower the target's accuracy by one stage. Woo.

: "It’s been two years, hasn’t it?"

Oh, right, that thing last update about Cheren no longer being relevant after his gym battle? I lied.

: "Wh-what's up?"
: "I thought it would be a good idea to register‘ each other in the Xtransceiver!"

Oh, right, smartwatch!

: "I registered Professor Juniper for you, too!"

Cool, the number of people we can call just got 300% bigger!

And we immediately get thrown into a group call with 3/4ths of our social circle.

: "Bianca told me you accepted the Pokédex! Thank you so much! Thanks to you, we will all know more about Pokémon and be able to get along with them even better!"

I'm learning a ton doing this and actually paying attention to the Pokédex for once as well! Learning is great.

: "There are sooo many Pokémon we couldn't prove were here two years ago!"

And this is how you can tell who's talking in these multi-person Xtransceiver conversations! In addition to there being lip flaps, it displays a little audio notification next to the person talking. The rest of this conversation is just gonna be transcription, though, because my portraits do that just as well!

: "Thank you for going so far for this errand, Bianca. And Cheren, how are you enjoying being a Gym Leader?"
: "Professor Juniper, it's been a long time. I'm glad you're doing so well. The Gym Leader position is very tough… If I had my usual partners…"
: "Oh, Cheren… Having battles that come down to the wire will make you a Gym Leader who depends the bonds between your challengers and their Pokémon, right?"
: "It'll be fine! Cheren's a new Gym Leader, I'm an Assistant Pokémon Professor, and Jolyne is a new Trainer, but we always have Pokémon by our sides!"
: "That's right, Bianca! Our world is a world where we live with Pokémon. Everyone! Keep that in mind as you pursue your dreams with your Pokémon! Particularly you, Jolyne! The Pokédex may be important, but… First, enjoy your journey with your Pokémon to your heart's content! "

That's the plan, but the way I enjoy my journeys is making as many friends as possible, so those two goals go hand-in-hand!

: "If you talk to her on the Xtransceiver, she'll evaluate the completeness of your Pokédex or tell you a lot about how Pokémon evolve! And you can call us, too, of course! I'll tell you how well you and your Pokémon are getting along, OK?!"

Well, both of Juniper's services are a little bit irrelevant to this LP (because a bunch of the obscure evolution stuff has been changed and our pokedex completeness is gonna be all sorts of hosed up since we don't have the national dex yet) but Bianca might be helpful since friendship mechanics are unchanged!

: "I'll tell you what I know about Pokémon Abilities and Pokémon type matchups."

And Cheren will still be just as useful as ever! Cheren removes a layer of obfuscation from ability descriptions, plus tells you about some of their effects which are never mentioned at all! It's cool.

Oh, hey, it's Hugh! Wonder why it took him so long to get back here, since we had our little tutoring session with Alder to keep us from getting back immediately. Maybe he took a little while to cool off after getting real mad over at the ranch.

: "Understood. Please come into my Pokémon Gym!"

... Hugh.

Yeah, you gotta deal with doofs constantly. And they're not even the cute, beavery kind.

: "The C-Gear is a cool device for communications, such as Infrared Connection or Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."

Oh, right, that means it's totally useless for the purposes of this LP! Whomp-womp.

I was afraid that turning the C-gear on might cause problems somehow, but it doesn't. Regardless, it'll be in sleep mode for most of this update.

This is what the bottom screen will look like out of battle from now on! Holy dang look at the time, it's way too late to be playing pokemans.

: "Like, what are you going to do now? You know, there's another Pokémon Gym in Virbank City, which is just past Floccesy Town."

Ehh, I was gonna stop playing here, but sure, I'll keep going for a couple minutes so we can end this in the next town.

Wait, what, I thought I got all the pokemon on this route. Wait... Oh no. Well, my job just got a little bit more tedious. Why? Well, I'll show you! First I'll have to run back and forth for like 20 seconds, and then this happens!

Did you spot what was special about that encounter? The wiggly grass. Now that we have our first gym badge, there's a chance for this rustling grass to appear whenever we're moving around near tall grass, and this rustling grass usually has rare pokemon in it! This means that there are more pokemon to catch at each of the places we've been to before, but that doesn't seem too bad. What is bad is that (almost) every area has a normal rustling grass encounter, and then another encounter (or two) with an even more rare pokemon! The chance to get this other encounter? 5-10%. So, yeah, that "run around for 20 seconds and then go do a battle" thing? Gonna have to do it around ten or twenty times in basically every area I can catch pokemon in from now on. Sure, that'll only take an extra ten minutes or so in every area, but that'll add up. Gotta do it, though, wanna catch all the pokes. Anyway, let's catch this Medicham!

Dunno why I was using Star Me over Move It here, but it worked!

Oh, hey, aura! That sure was a thing for a movie and like three episodes of the anime. (Also, like, in real life beliefs but pffffff, the real world.)

Aww, Emma C.'s bashful. This does nothing to her stats, which are... unremarkable. Medicham is a pokemon that is normally remarkable primarily for its ability, Pure Power, which doubles its attack. This counts for more than you would think, because it also doubles the bonus from a positive nature, IV's and EV's, which I should probably talk about at some point. Without that ability, Medicham as a whole is sort of disappointing for a fully evolved pokemon that isn't a single stage. About average defenses and speed, fairly bad HP and attacking stats. Better overall than a 1st-stage pokemon (usually), of course, but still sort of disappointing! Her ability here also doesn't do much, since I don't have any reliable way to cause rain.

Her moves are also just sort of mediocre. Power Trick I talked about way back in episode 1, it averages the attack stats of the user and the target and is pretty bad except in one very specific case. Detect always goes first and makes the user invulnerable for a turn, but has `a chance to fail which increases by 50% every time you use it consecutively (or use it consecutively with a few other moves). This means that on the second turn you try to use it it has a 50% chance to work, on the third it has a 25% chance and so on and so on. Drain punch is a decent move, below-average power but it heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt. Extrasensory is a special psychic attack with average power and a 10% chance to cause the target to flinch. Weirdly, it was the signature move of a grass type when it was introduced.

Overall, Emma C. isn't exactly a bad pokemon, especially for this point of the game, but she's just kind of disappointing compared to how a Medicham is in the normal games.

Anyway, let's continue on!

Healing up my pokes and doing some shopping! Hey, we can buy great balls now! I buy 5 pokeballs, sell some stuff and then buy 4 great balls. Great balls have a 50% higher chance to catch a pokmon than pokeballs, though they cost more than twice as much, which means it's way more a convenience thing than a cost thing to buy them instead.

After shopping, I decide to check out our new TMs and see who can learn them! Hootie and Honey can learn crunch, and it's a pretty good move, so I teach it to them! Honey forgets Lunar Dance, and Hootie forgets Clear Smog.

Oh! Bianca has more to say to us, okay!

: "I forgot to upgrade the Pokédex that I gave you! I'm going to add the Habitat List! It's an amazing feature! I'm just going to borrow your Pokédex for a second!"

: "With the Habitat List, you can check which Pokémon are in the area! It's a mode in the Pokédex! To use it, open up the Pokédex and tap the Habitat List button on the lower left of the Touch Screen! Next, pick the area you want to see! You can see all the Pokémon that live in that area. It even tells you which ones you've already caught!"

Oh, neat! I wonder if that actually works with the randomizer, or if it's a preprogrammed thing that won't change. I'll have to check next time.

: "I have a tip for you! When you're walking down a path, you'll sometimes see rustling grass! If you go to that spot... Well, I'll let the rest be a surprise!"

Way ahead of you, B.

: "So go to many different places and meet many different Pokémon, OK? See you!"

See you, Bianca! I'll probably call you at some point to show off the weird pokes I catch.

Over on Route 20, I notice this group of rocks and my RPG sense starts tingling. Neat! I'm not looking at a guide to find these hidden items (maybe I should?), so it's a nice surprise when I find them!

: "But don't get a swelled head! It's a rough world out there! Here, I'll show you!"

Uhh, okay dude.

Oh! Well, at least we know what we're in store for.

... The AI choosing a move that does literally nothing.

Oh, huh! Apparently that's the other ability that Oshawott can have. Even with that, though, the rest of the fight is pretty simple.

Oh, right. Our pokemon got way less experience in the normal universe, so they're all level 10 now instead of being into their teens.

: "With dependable Pokémon like that, even a kid like you can hold your own against an adult. Yup!"

Man, that guy was sort of an rear end in a top hat. I make a stop over at Flocessy to heal up Move It since it's there, and then I continue on!

... Holy poo poo, the place that was far too dangerous for anyone without a gym badge was a literal preeschool. Uuuugh, what an absolute rear end in a top hat. Let's just beat up these preschoolers and then get to Virbank so I can feel like I've made some actual progress in this update.

bonk

Oh holy hell. More hyper beams!

It wasn't really all that threatening though.

"of sleep if I want to be a big kid!"

That's some pretty good advice, as a certified big kid I sure do wish I could get more sleep.

Oh, hey Cheren, Hugh. Sure, I'll let you explain something so that I don't have to.

: "It's rare, but sometimes two Pokémon pop out at the same time. Also, the Pokémon that hide in dark grass are slightly stronger. So be careful if you walk through."

In addition to that, there are some pokemon that will only appear in dark grass in some areas, and some pokemon that won't appear there. Luckily, since I'm using Area 1-1 mapping, this doesn't essentially double the amount of pokemon I have to capture on these routes, just adds a couple more. It also makes grinding a little easier on those routes since it has stronger pokemon! It's cool.

: "These might help!"

Pecha berries cure poison! They normally would be a huge help, but, you know, randomizer. Who knows, though, there's a 1/17 chance that the randomizer could choose the same type that the gym already is! Possibly 1/16 if it chooses different types for every gym.

: "Both of you, do your best! If you need anything, call me on the Xtransceiver."

: "And he fought those Team Plasma thugs, too..."

Oh, hey, Hugh knows about that, somehow. You know, maybe we should have told literally anybody that we met someone who claimed to be a member of the terrorist group that almost took over the country 2 years ago.

: "You should... Do your best! Fill up the Pokédex and have my back. Got it?"

Sure.

Ugh, I really wanna just get to Virbank and be done for the night, but... Item in the grass! Gotta get it! Maybe I can get in and get out without a wild pokemon encounter.

Oh, also, if we talk to Hugh he has this to say:
: "I have to get stronger than Team Plasma!"

Apparently Team Plasma is pretty important to Hugh, and since we're his best friend then yeah, we definitely should have told him about the guy what threw that TM at us. Anyway.

Neat! That brings me up to 5, and no encounter so far! Looking go-

gently caress.

... At least it's adorable.

Adorable and loving terrifying, wow. Seed Flare is (again) a move that's normally only available to a legendary pokemon. It's really powerful and fairly accurate (85%) and has a 40% chance to lower the target's special defense by two stages, which is insane. Terrifying little cotton bird.

Yeesh. At least she falls asleep after that

Well, that pokeball didn't work, and she woke up. Great ball time, I guess.

Good.

omg. :kimchi:

PinkMatter is a calm lil' birdhat, which ups her special defense but lowers her Attack. This isn't bad, because in this generation she is a passable special wall with average speed and HP, above average Defense and below-average attacking stats, with types that sort of favor special-attacking over physical. Next gen this would be a different story, but that's a tale for another day. Her ability is Arena Trap, which is sort of weird but okay for a defensive pokemon to have. You know, if it weren't for the fact that the only time the AI will switch is when it has literally no moves that can do anything to the pokemon you have out.

Her moves are pretty dang good, though. Air Cutter is a move that I constantly confuse with a much better move, Air Slash. It's decent, though, with mediocre power and 95% accuracy, but an increased crit chance. Chatter is a move that becomes one of the best moves in the game in the next generation (in my opinion), but right now it's only, well, okay. Mediocre power, perfect accuracy and a 10% chance to confuse if I do some bullshit with the microphone. Conversion changes the user's type to match one of their moves (so it would make Pink Matter's type flying 2/3rds of the time or grass 1/3rd of the time right now) and is not reliable enough to be useful right now. In the next generation it could be used to reliably get her STAB on Seed Flare, but, once again, I didn't use the option to apply gen VI balance changes to moves, which I'm sort of regretting at this point, honestly.

Overall, PinkMatter is pretty good and super cute and fluffy. A cutie birb.

Well, we get out of the grass without another encounter at least, and hey, more small children to antagonize!

That is a pretty awesome pokemon!

And it's covered in bees! Dang, what a cool toddler.

Clear smog smokes off the bees, but I forgot that ground resists poison, so it doesn't do much damage. I should probably get Nena out of here just in case this rad piggy's got an actual ground move.

So I send in my... other poison sack. Well, she's also full of bubbles, but still.

No problem.

Let me teach you some wisdom that I've gained as a certified Big Kid: Insisting that you aren't something makes you seem like you are that thing.

Oh, hey, another adult! At least these children aren't running around completely unsupervised.

Oh, sweet, an Audino! Audino are a pokemon that can be found basically everywhere in the base game of Black and White or the sequels, usually in the shaking grass. They are a pokemon that is designed entirely to be not much of a threat, but they've got very good help and they give more experience than most legendaries when they're defeated, so seeing a trainer with one is a nice treat! Looks like Move It's gonna get a couple levels before I pass out, at least.

... Oh.

Okay, as I was saying, Slipknot's gonna get a couple levels before I pass out!

Okay, yeah, Slipknot's got this.

Poor thing.

Four levels from one fight, drat. (Slipknot tried to learn Rage in the middle of these levels, but Rage is a terrible move so she did not. It has miniscule power but raises the user's attack by one stage if they are hit after using it and before using another move. Bad, and a better move which serves the same purpose will be added in the next games.)

No, lady, you're a great example! Teach your kids to use Audinos and also to fight me whenever I want to fight them, please.

Dire Hit is another one of the "X" items, it raises critical hit chance. Still not great!

Okay, I can see the gate and these kids are pretty cute, I can pull through this and finish up the update. Plus, it's our first double battle so I have stuff to talk about.

Double battles were introduced in Generation 3 (that is, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald) and they're pretty neat! There are a lot of strategies that work super well in double battles, and a lot of abilities and moves and stuff that are designed to only work in them. Double Battles are also a good way to train up weaker pokemon, and are generally a much faster sort of battle than single battles! They put a neat spin on the whole strategy of pokemon, and they are the format that all of the official pokemon tournament stuff happens in because of their speed and the deeper strategy involved in them compared to single battles. The console games (Colosseum and Gale of Darkness) were really neat because every battle (except for the first couple in Gale of Darkness) was a double battle, which was a refreshing spin on the series.

How they work, though, is really pretty simple. It's 2v2 and mostly works the same as a single battle mechanically, with the turn order being decided by speed and stuff like that. The only thing that really changes is how moves behave. Most moves remain single-target, and you choose which opponent (or your other pokemon, which can be relevant for some niche strategies) you target. Some moves, however, like Air Cutter will hit both opponents for 75% of their normal damage, others (like Earthquake, or Surf after Gen 3) will hit every other pokemon in the match, including your partner, still for 75% damage. And, really, that's all there is to say! Just this added complexity of choosing targets and stuff, though, deepens battles a whole hell of a lot, and it's really cool! I like double battles.

This also gives me the chance to try out my favorite strategy again, I'm gonna soak one of these Bagon and then hit them with Fusion Bolt for super effective damage! Can you see the flaw in this plan?

There's flaw number 1, Star Me is way faster than Honey, so he'll go first.

And there's flaw number 2, the "Star Me must get owned" constant.

Another interesting thing about double battles: You don't get to replace your fainted pokemon until the end of a round. This means that if there are any moves targetting your fainted pokemon remaining after they have fainted, they will be redirected at your pokemon that is still standing, or they will fail outright if they came from your still standing pokemon. Anyway, I send in Star Me's understudy, Slipknot, to complete the combination.

Okay, one down. Here's one of the flaws with most double battles in the base pokemon games: The trainers you're facing will only ever have 2 pokemon, which makes them short and not all that interesting. There are exceptions to this rule, but it's still a shame.

And there we go.

They'll be fine! A teacher is like a Mom, so I'm sure she'll be able to heal your little dragons. Into the tunnel!

Yep, right down to the 15 minute hunt for the last one that just won't come out of their hiding spot.

Another ticker, some more neat flavor text and the information that I recorded this update more than a week ago!

Oh, me! Me am tired, please let me pass and don't make me go get you some tea or something.

I mean, I've got a bunch more in the PC already.

Oh, that explains why it feels like it took so long to get here once Hugh showed up.

Petty jabs aside, we're finally in Virbank! Now we just gotta head to the center, heal our pokes and find a couch to crash on.

Oh, hi Mom. You can't sleep either?

: "Wow, Virbank City! There's a complex there, right? Have you been there yet? The way it looks at night is really quite nice! And you can also train your Pokémon there! You know, your Pokémon can do some things and you can do others. I hope you can all work together and accomplish amazing things!"

Cool, good to know! Me and my crazy monsters are gonna go accomplish the amazing thing of going to sleep for like a week.

Oh god more NPC's. Maybe I can sneak by.

Or not.

: "I'm off to Pokéstar Studios to live up to my true potential! My dream is to be a ship captain and a movie star!"

: "If that ship doesn't move, you're going to cause lots of trouble!"

Oh, well, if you didn't already know because, well, we're seeing this happen, we're gonna have to deal with this friction if we wanna escape from New Jersey.

: "You split your time between your responsibilities as a Gym Leader and with your band, right? I can do that, too!"

Dude, you don't get to condescend to your daughter when she's both a rockstar and, like, the mayor. That's basically what a gym leader is, right?

: "Keeping people from getting where they're going because of sheer selfishness is unforgivable! I've HAD it! I'm going to the Gym!"

:allears: Roxie is a raucous and radical rockstar and her reverence for repeating reverberations and adding alliteration is actually amazing.

Man, she's cool.

Now, finally, at the pokemon center. This table is now my bed.

Next time: Backtracking to round up all the pokes we've missed and I guess we'll solve some family drama!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 24, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I love Swablu and it's evolution so much. :3: Mine in White 2 was the highest (or maybe second but the first started at 70 so) levelled Pokémon I've ever had, until I decided to actually level things to 100 where it was the second or first there.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Mega-Altaria is my second favorite mega evolution and is pretty dang great.

Also I just realized that I forgot to post this here, the most relevant place for it, but I recently commissioned this and am using it as an avatar basically everywhere but here on SA and I love it so much.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Mega-Altaria is my second favorite mega evolution and is pretty dang great.

Also I just realized that I forgot to post this here, the most relevant place for it, but I recently commissioned this and am using it as an avatar basically everywhere but here on SA and I love it so much.

:10bux:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I have considered it but I can't think of a good title to go with it!

The best I've come up with is "I keep on forgetting these Pokémons" but even then it just doesn't pack quite the same punch.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The habitat list works on my game. It kinda surprised me cause I remember there being problems finding all the addresses when people were hacking these games a few years ago.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

: "Bianca told me you accepted the Pokédex! Thank you so much! Thanks to gnu, we will all know more about Pokémon and be able to get along with them even better!"

The prof's pretty hyped about her Pokédex running on an open-source OS. :v:

Also, the habitat list doesn't work for me. It displays the same things you'd normally find on the route.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The best I've come up with is "I keep on forgetting these Pokémons" but even then it just doesn't pack quite the same punch.

It kind of smells like Pokemons (for reasons unknown)

Jolyne used Soap! It's Super Effective!

Soap reference because I don't get the joke

My loving lips and eyes are yellow please send for a doctor I have Jaundice

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

: "Professor Juniper, it's been a long time. I'm glad you're doing so well. The Gym Leader position is very tough… If I had my usual partners…"
"If I had my level 40+ team of rear end-kickers, I could own ALL these nerds!"

And unfortunately, the Habitat List only shows what you'd find in the base game, which makes the few places where you get rewarded for completing that area's list absolute pains in the Diglett. It does at least give you a sometimes-handy counter of how many 'mons you can find in a given area. Dark grass screws up the count, though.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Dragonwagon posted:

The prof's pretty hyped about her Pokédex running on an open-source OS. :v:

Also, the habitat list doesn't work for me. It displays the same things you'd normally find on the route.

definitely didn't miss capture2text loving up, nope, Juniper's just super excited, yeah.

Gridlocked posted:

Soap reference because I don't get the joke

It is a jojoke. Her punchghost (which is also sometimes just her skin) smells like soap. jojos is good and everyone should read/watch it.

Dareon posted:

"If I had my level 40+ team of rear end-kickers, I could own ALL these nerds!"

And unfortunately, the Habitat List only shows what you'd find in the base game, which makes the few places where you get rewarded for completing that area's list absolute pains in the Diglett. It does at least give you a sometimes-handy counter of how many 'mons you can find in a given area. Dark grass screws up the count, though.

man, Cheren just went through this whole gym leader challenge 2 years ago, you'd think he'd realize the problems with using your strongest dudes all the time.

And yeah, habitat list stuff is gonna be a bit of a pain. Luckily only one of the areas actually gives something unique, and it's fairly late in the game so it's possible that I would have been able to get the pokes that I could normally catch there by then. Or I can just cheat. Probably that second one.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
My only caught shiny that wasn't a red Gyarados was a Swablu. :kimchi:

I haven't been too on-the-ball with later Pokegenerations so this is becoming quite a surreal read.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

Ok, I figured it out. The Habitat Dex does not work but the Pokédex habitat entry for any 'mons seen or caught does work. In other words, I can go to any dex entry and see where that 'mon lives in my game but I can't go to the habitat Dex and see what can be found in a particular area.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 4:

Route 19 Part 2

Blitzle - Trainer battle
Electrode - Dark Grass
Hydreigon - Dark Grass, got blacked out and lost my only Great Ball trying to capture one; regretted it immeditaly after cause I realised it had lovely attacks and wasn't the time-space monster my Bagon is.
Cinderquil - Dark Grass, starter from Gen 2
Tentacool - Dark Grass, captured one. Turns out it has Shadow Tag, the ablity of one my my all time favorites Wobbuffet.
Swinub - Trainer Battle
Volbeat - Trainer battle
Palkia - Shaking Grass, ANOTHER god damned legendary on Route 19. No wonder the most badass trainers come from whatever my home town is; we have to fight our way through an army of GODS to go shopping.
Munchlax - Dark Grass, the baby form of my most favorite Pokemon ever! (despite the fact Snorlax isn't Ghost or Metal, my favorite types) Captured a female one.
Typhlosion - Dark Grass, well I guess all those baby Cinderquil's had to coome from somewhere.

Well I found Shadow Tag. Too bad it's not on a 'mon who (in theory) can abuse it.

Ms. Lax came with Leftovers (awesome) and I have in fact abused the fact that wild Munchlax generally have Leftovers in my White 2 play though by using Thief on them to end up with like 10 Leftovers by the 4th town. Has JUDGEMENT which is pretty badass and continues my trend of having basic mon's with legendary exclusive moves even though I'd never dream of parting her from her Leftovers.

The Legendary Route 19 continues with the Shaking Grass 'mon being this rear end in a top hat.

And finally my Twins had appropriately small and cute blue things :shobon:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The gifs keep making my browser hang :(

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh god, Pokestar Studios is next isn't it? I abused the gently caress out of it when I got my copy of White 2 at the very start. Anyone who has played White/Black 2 knows why. Anyone who doesn't know will soon enough and it's a very abusable thing. ABUSE IT LIKE THE RED HEADED STEP-CHILD IT IS!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I make sure to keep enough Ocean Stones to evolve my Pokémon?

Some sort of Stone Ocean/Water Stone pun anyway.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
"Evolve my Eevee? Nah, I'm Stone Free."

Also huh, I remembered the order of events of this next update completely wrong, you have to do the gym to calm Roxie down and then you get to do Pokestar stuff. So, the next update's gonna be basically all catching pokemon and exploring virbank a little bit. I've also done things out of order so that we'll only have 25 pokemon in the next poll instead of... uhh, 44. Turns out that even with area 1:1 mapping, dark grass tables and normal grass tables get randomized separately!

I may have to rejigger the poll rules a little bit, maybe only keep in the top 10 from the previous poll, because if I do it this way the next poll will have 42 choices (or more, probably, since we'll be hitting the point when pokes start evolving) no matter how I do it, which is way too much for a single poll. 25-30 is about as many as a poll can handle and still have the chance of some weird but cool pokemon making it into the running, like Hootie did this time.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Turns out that even with area 1:1 mapping, dark grass tables and normal grass tables get randomized separately!

Is Dark Grass using the same table as double grass per-chance? I can't seem to find any other tables it could be referencing. Also very little info on GameFAQs about it which i find strange.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Double grass is probably what they are calling dark grass, yeah.

Also I spent like an hour looking for the 5th pokemon on Route 20 because I was like "I only caught 4 but I know there were supposed to be 5" before I remembered that I caught Star Me on route 5 and wasn't including him in my count so that (plus continual interruptions due to being home for easter) made my recording for this update 4 hours long instead of 3. Fun!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I've been running Platinum and HeartGold runs because I actually kind of dislike Gen 5's playstyle (despite quite liking the Pokemon and story) for some reason, and I didn't realise for the longest time that fishing spots on different routes will yield different Pokemon. What a clown I am, because I'm pretty sure you mentioned it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I haven't mentioned fishing at all (because it doesn't exist until the postgame and oh god I just realized the amount of work fishing and especially ripple fishing is going to add to the pokemon catching (if I haven't completed the Pokédex by that point, which I probably won't have)

I love these games and I love shaking grass as a mechanic (especially since they used it as a way to alleviate grinding with Audino) but ripple fishing might be a step too far

• Locked thread