Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Someone tried some transfer method for me a couple years ago and it didn't work out. If I ever want it in a legit game badly enough I think I could make an exception and use one of those cheat engines to build the pokemon and import it.

Are also trying to transfer it to a real cartridge? Sadly, you may be out of luck because the game has some protections to prevent "illegal" 'mons. Impossible abilities and move-sets may count but that's assuming you had a flash-cart that can do the transfer.

edit: this is as far as I am willing to discuss this btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I'm sure Pokemon Bank blocks any and all Pokemon it finds to have been acquired in a less than proper manner. My friend traded me a Mew he'd caught using a cheat device in one of the Gen 4 games, but it was blockaded when I tried to transfer it into the bank.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not concerned about it. It actually has a -Def +SpA nature, which is probably the worst nature to have on a Forretress! :v:

Anyway to get back on topic, I also started a randomized Black 2 run. My starter selection was Sandile, Bulbasaur and Bagon. I chose Bagon, Hugh got Sandile. Turns out Bagon knows Relic Song, Draco Meteor, Frost Breath and Helping Hand. What a champ. First route has Level 2-4 Zekroms and Drapions. What a game. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I started a randomized Black 1 run, and my starter choices were Oshawott, Gastly, and Caterpie.

At least Gastly's a cool Pokemon? :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Haifisch posted:

I started a randomized Black 1 run, and my starter choices were Oshawott, Gastly, and Caterpie.

So you're going to rock the e4 with the most bitchin' butterfree ever trained right? right?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Haifisch posted:

Gengar is pro.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FoolyCharged posted:

So you're going to rock the e4 with the most bitchin' butterfree ever trained right? right?
Nah, Cheren Dudley got to use it.

Apparently the setting that evolves your rival's starter goes by when it's evolved normally, though. Dudley's rocking a Lv. 14 Caterpie still.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I just want to pop in and say I love your style! Super enthusiastic and fun to read. Never played B2W2 so this is something of a surreal read and I love it. Might jump on the randomizer train myself.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If anyone else is running a "Catch em all" mode game, I would recommend the following to preserve your sanity:

1) Use "random" setting for encounters. Each species gets into 5-6 encounter tables throughout the game so if something is extremely rare on the first route, you will be able to find it later on . I did not enable seasonal encounters because each season takes 30 real days to pass.
2) Run about 20 encounters per area per encounter type (Grass, double grass, surfing, fishing). Exceptions are shaking spots and surfing/fishing spots as they take longer to spawn so I would recommend 10 or less with those to save time.
3) If using an emulator, save-state during an encounter to save time. Note that your catch success chance is predetermined for each turn but can be affected by changing the 'mon's health and/or inflicting a status ailment (like sleep).
4) If you want to save time on shaking spot encounters, save-state before entering one but keep in mind that the RNG shifts from Time-based to movement/turn based to position-based randomly.
5) Generate a log. You will want this to make sure you can find and catch everything. You will most likely need to go back to find ones you've missed.
6) "All encounter rates are not created equal". Each area table has common and rare encounters. Surfing encounters tend to be even more skewed than others with 80% of your encounters being the first 2 mons on the list and the rest being unevenly split in the other 20%.
7) In a dungeon, each screen transition means a new set of encounter tables. Not counting seasonal, there are 453 encounter tables in the game

It took me 150 hours and 20 minutes to get 649/649 seen and caught, not including save-scumming some of the more difficult encounters.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 14, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Holy poo poo it's been almost 4 months since my last update, oops. Sorry guys, a priest punched me so hard that I ended up in another dimension.

Nah, but more seriously Life Happened real hard and left me with basically no motivation for any creative project, but I've got the next update captured and should be able to finish writing it by tomorrow! Just wanted to make a post now just in case it would get archived between now and then, since I'm pretty sure it happens 3 months after the last post in the thread!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd forgotten that I left this bookmarked but I'm glad I did. Good to know you're doing ok. I know how it goes with letting an LP sit without an update for a few months. Don't worry about it, just take your time and whenever you're ready to post again, then you can get it all going once more!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not 100% sure but I think the forums were updated some time ago so now they don't archive stuff if it's not posted in anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the forums were updated some time ago so now they don't archive stuff if it's not posted in anymore.

AFAIK the archiver was broken for a while, but it has been fixed quite a while ago because we got a good dev now who actually knows their poo poo.

• Locked thread