Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gridlocked posted:

I am currently annoyed at how difficult it is to get a HM Bitch without ruining my awesome party dynamic.

I turned on Mew Mode (Every 'mon can learn every TM/HM), and even then I don't have an HM slave, although I will be sticking Dive and Waterfall on my Surfing Ludicolo. Or whoever I decide to Surf on next.

I love the randomizer, although I wish there was an option to tell it to do sanity checks on evolved forms. Like if it rolls level 2 Dragonite for route 19, downgrade it to Dratini.

My randomizer on B2 spat out Snivy and Tepig on Route 20, which I spotted from browsing the summary file and picked Oshawott to take advantage of. Turns out a three-starter party is kinda boring, especially when I'm leaving things like Barboach, Drifloon, and Anorith in the PC to keep the starters around.

My current party is:
Arpeggio - A Mienfoo from Floccesy Ranch. I'm hoping she evolves soon, because her power is starting to fall behind the rest of the party and the wild 'mons.
Valoria - A Shelgon (evolved) from Route 20.
Mayhem - A Houndoom (evolved) from the Castelia sewers.
Largo - A Xatu (evolved) from Virbank Complex.
Ridiculoso - A Ludicolo (evolved) from Route 6.
And Barbatos, a shiny Beldum I hacked in and spent 18 levels doing nothing but Take Down with. It's currently a Metang, but should hit Metagross soon. In terms of stats and moves and all the hidden values that make it shiny and functional, it is entirely legit, except the game thinks I met it at level 2 on Victory Road.

I also hacked in a Wonder Guard Spiritomb, which I use exclusively for the Battle Subway. I still managed to lose, because it got Toxiced. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can't really handle the full randomization loadout, because the first time I tried the randomizer, I stepped out of town, got in my first fight, and got one-shot by an Ice/Dark Charizard that Metronomed up Earthquake.

After I dialed it back to "Just give me all the pokeymans as Arceus intended them to be" I had a hilarious rival fight because I picked Porygon and he picked Gastly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can only imagine when you run into, say, a Ghost/Dark with Wonder Guard. Hope you brought some status effects, kids!

There's a sanity checkbox you can tick to keep Wonder Guard out of the early game, at least.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

: "Professor Juniper, it's been a long time. I'm glad you're doing so well. The Gym Leader position is very tough… If I had my usual partners…"
"If I had my level 40+ team of rear end-kickers, I could own ALL these nerds!"

And unfortunately, the Habitat List only shows what you'd find in the base game, which makes the few places where you get rewarded for completing that area's list absolute pains in the Diglett. It does at least give you a sometimes-handy counter of how many 'mons you can find in a given area. Dark grass screws up the count, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roro posted:

It's bad enough normally, let alone having to do it for every single body of water.

My first randomized game was Platinum and I quickly came to realize every honey tree had randomized lists. Think of the trouble Jolyne's already mentioned with rustling grass, now apply it to a mechanic where you need to apply a consumable item and come back later. :suicide:

Meanwhile in my own playthrough, I shuffled my team a little bit. I've still got Barbatos the Metagross, Mayhem the Houndoom, and Valoria the Shelgon, but I added the following:
-Prescott the Tirtouga from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of naming water-types after nautical people. My Oshawott is named Horatio and I played with a Wingull named Nimitz for a little bit),
-Toccata the Murkrow, also from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of using musical terms if I can't think of a more fitting name),
-and Kaminagi the Tynamo from Chargestone Cave. (It is a Japanese pun/portmanteau, and not the one they actually use for the species: Kaminari is thunder, unagi is eel. :v:)

All three of whom have evolved now, although I'm debating evolving Kaminagi the rest of the way now or later. I will, I just don't know if I want some poison moves on him or not.

I also played around a little with a Ninjask (Named Speedwagon, in homage to this LP/Jojo's) and a Vanillish (Named Drippy), but wasn't happy with their lack of bulk.

I've got five PC boxes nearly full with no repeats (Except the Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff line, because they're adorbs and I caught them backwards, and a spare Snorunt for Glalie/Froslass), nearly enough Grass-type starters to form a full team (And I could add Pansage or Deerling to round it out), and enough fossil pokemon for a full team on their own (If you count Relicanth).

And it occurs to me I've barely caught a quarter of them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I randomized a fresh game, going almost completely bugfuck.

My protagonist is named :stonk:Bar0:c: and her rival would have been literally Hitler, but the game doesn't like that. Hatler is fine, though.
My starter choices are Poison Spheal, Ice Meowth, and Fire Tyrogue.
I have chosen Tyrogue, and named it Hoooooooob.
Hoooooooob has Mold Breaker, Heal Bell, and Fusion Flare.
First encounter was with an Unown that Crabhammered me to death. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roro posted:

Nope, but the Pokedex should tell you where a randomised Pokemon can be found in your game.

I had an odd time confirming this, because I knew I'd caught my Snivy and Tepig on Route 20, but it was telling me the only places to find Snivys were three caves we haven't seen yet. Figured it out when I went to Route 20 and encountered an entirely different set of 'mons: It's currently winter and I'd set the randomizer to use time-based encounters. So that's a thing.

• Locked thread